Breadth-first search is the bulldozer of science. -- Randy Goebel

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Bicycle Subjects

SubjectAuthor
* Bicycle SubjectsTom Kunich
+* Re: Bicycle Subjectsjbeattie

Pages:1234
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<addb35e9-1dd5-44f9-88af-0acc6ccd29d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45086&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45086

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 18:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bicycle Subjects
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 01:26 UTC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 9:23:07 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > 2018 2810.3
> > 2019 2670.71
> > 2020 3329.62
> > 2021 3851.85"
> >

> > The S&P 500 reached an all time high of 1565.15 on October 9, 2007.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closing_milestones_of_the_S%26P_500
> >
> > The S&P 500 reached that high again on March 28, 2013 at 1569.19. This happened during Obama's second term as president.
> >
> > During Obama's first term the S&P 500 went from 805.22 to 1485.98, GAIN of 84.54% since he took office. During Obama's second term the S&P 500 went from 1485.98 to 2271.31, GAIN of 52.85%. During Trump's one term as president the S&P 500 went from 2271.31 to 3851.85, GAIN of 69.59%.
> >
> > Now I will throw the scoundrel DOG Tommy boy a bone. It took Obama four years and two plus months in office to get the S&P 500 back to the high reached under Bush2. Do you understand that Tommy boy? The high for the S&P 500 was achieved by BUSH2 back in October 9, 2007. BUSH2 the REPUBLICAN. Obama the Democrat did not take office until almost 16 months later. The S&P 500 was at a high months before the first primary in Iowa was even held in January 2008. I'm guessing Obama had declared himself running for president by October 2007. But BUSH2 was president when the S&P 500 reached its high on October 9, 2007. And it took until March 28, 2013 before Obama got the S&P 500 to close that high again. Four plus years later. Obama had to overcome a lot of destruction to the economy that Bush2 and Republicans did before he took office. And it took until his second term to overcome their destruction.
> >
> > You seem fascinated with this high and low of the markets. You seem to think everyone, or you anyway, can buy at the low and sell at the high. And you think this is achievable every single day too. Maybe for you the greatest financial genius in all of history, you, can do this. But everyone else sees high and lows and that is it. For instance, all of the stocks I own were at a high today. But I did not sell at the high today. No, I kept them and they all finished lower than the daily highs. So by your F-cked up nonsense, I lost money today. But no, I gained from the closing yesterday to the closing today. No one on earth can buy and sell every day at the highs and lows every day. You would be the richest person on earth if you could do that every day.
> Why do you insist on showing your ignorance. According to Russy, there was no recession at all let alone a Great Recession. Well, as it turns out, the Standard and Poor's 500 are the largest companies in the US and in some cases the world and those least likely to have much change in their values. These are the companies that people who do not wish to make money but only want a place to safely stash their money so that it pays slightly more than bank rates invests. This is where Billionaires invest, not the common investor.

Gosh almighty, Tommy. You are STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Don't you find it interesting that Russy had to work very hard to show that large companies even, did poorly under Obama?

Stupid. The S&P 500, the LARGE companies, did very well under Obama's presidency. Started at 805.22 on Obama's first inauguration and ended at 2271.31 when he left office eight years later. The FACTS show this very clearly.. Since you are mathematically challenged Tommy boy, I will explain to you that 2271.31 is a whole lot larger than 805.22. The S&P 500 GAINED 182% during Obama's time in office. GAINED 182%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAINED 182%!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAINED 182%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<fb4a6363-b389-45e1-a62b-c2f759e0a0c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45087&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45087

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 18:40:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 01:40 UTC

> [...]

> Why do you insist on showing your ignorance. According to Russy, there was no recession at all let alone a Great Recession. Well, as it turns out, the Standard and Poor's 500 are the largest companies in the US and in some cases the world and those least likely to have much change in their values. These are the companies that people who do not wish to make money but only want a place to safely stash their money so that it pays slightly more than bank rates invests. This is where Billionaires invest, not the common investor.

Sorry my apologies. I forgot to comment on this asinine statement by Tommy in my first response to this basket case of a reply by Tommy boy.

Tommy said: "the Standard and Poor's 500 are the largest companies in the US and in some cases the world and those least likely to have much change in their values. These are the companies that people who do not wish to make money but only want a place to safely stash their money so that it pays slightly more than bank rates invests."

So Tommy thinks the S&P 500 are the companies least likely to have much change in their values. Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon are all the very top of the S&P 500 list. They don't ever change in valuation. Right Tommy boy? Stupidity, thy name is Tommy. So people who do not want to make any money buy these stocks? I bet no one has ever made any money buying Apple or Facebook or Google or Microsoft or Amazon. They just bought these stocks to earn more than their bank interest rates. I know its too complex for Tommy boy to do the math, but anyone else can easily see the annual percentage increase in the S&P 500 is much greater than bank interest rates. Except 2015 to 2016 and 2018 to 2019 when the S&P 500 lost money those two years.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<a5f8bb0a-97dd-4d5d-85c1-ff3731ea814dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45088&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45088

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 18:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 01:52 UTC

> [...]

> Why do you insist on showing your ignorance. According to Russy, there was no recession at all let alone a Great Recession.

Apologies again for responding again to this one post from Tommy. It had so many crazy arse comments I lost track of what to castigate him about. Yes Tommy boy there was a Great Recession. They had to think up a new name after the Great Depression of the 1930s. So Great Recession. Maybe they will call the next big huge enormous downfall the Great Catastrophe. Anyway, the Great Recession officially occurred December 2007 to June 2009. Bush2 was president from December 2007 to January 20, 2009. Obama took over as president on January 20, 2009 and was still president when he ended the great Recession in June 2009. Started by the Republicans, ended by the Democrats. Typical.

This is what Google displayed when I did a search on "great recession".
The Great Recession, one of the worst economic declines in US history, officially lasted from December 2007 to June 2009. The collapse of the housing market — fueled by low interest rates, easy credit, insufficient regulation, and toxic subprime mortgages — led to the economic crisis..

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<slb2pf$dur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45092&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45092

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:31:43 -0000 (UTC)
<sl6tpi$vn6$2@dont-email.me>
<a8168452-1194-4a96-a856-0cbd9ccb993en@googlegroups.com>
sha1:suhfgDAji7HG0sGVEMZ7pMFtYjs=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:31 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 11:41:57 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> John B. <sloc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I once did a sort of test on rim heating. First time down the mountain
>>> I rode the brakes nearly all the way down and stopped and felt of the
>>> rims. Yes! Hot! then I did a repeat run braking hard to almost a
>>> walking speed then off the brake and coasted and braked hard, etc.
>>> Felt the rims and not hot at all.
>> One of my MTB descents is wet rocky and very steep, you can hear how hot
>> the brakes get due to the water boiling off the rotors!
>>
>> It’s about the only one though and the brakes don’t seem to mind ie fade
>> they just get hot!
>
> I really don't understand this. Although the off-road stuff I was riding
> was REALLY extreme and I was fairly careful with the brakes, I warped a
> disk myself. How can anyone ride off-road crash and burn levels of MTB
> and not have disk warping? In that video I sited the expansion and
> contraction of the Shimano sandwich disks were causing them to fracture
> on the sides. I think they even showed a disk with a chunk broken out of
> it. It isn't as if this is some unknown problem. That is why Shimano is
> attempting to find a means of preventing it.

I’ve yet to but my background is MTB I’m a MTBer who likes road bikes well
Gravel bikes. So I’m quite light on the bike, after all I grew up with
bikes with no suspension and primitive braking at best!

I don’t even seem to wear out pads fast and I use organic as sintered does
my head in!

I go though though the full travel on the suspension now and then, and have
ripped tires that weren’t burly enough, mainly when first had the full
suspension and it allows you to travel much faster/harder and the lighter
weight tires I had being using just didn’t cope!

> Another problem is that now people are using direct mount calipers. These
> are mounted directly on carbon fiber forks and chainstays and produce
> temperatures well above those that melt the resins used in carbon fiber.
> Because people so rarely are in these positions they don't know what can
> happen. This reminds me of a video that one of the crit guys posted.
> There was a guy drafting the camera bike and he pulled out for the final
> sprint and as he pulled out and hit the gas, his aero wheel distorted
> over about 30 degrees of course crashing him. Without that video, I'll
> bet you, he would never have known what cause his crash because the wheel
> appeared normal after the crash.

I’d assume that would be a warranty/recall so that I suspect maybe less
that the full truth.

Roger Merriman

Re: Bicycle Subjects

<05cedfdc-c1cb-44a4-b14e-992d22027629n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45101&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45101

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:46:10 -0700 (PDT)
References: <aa29356f-3bb5-4633-941a-931e162c6610n@googlegroups.com> <399c48f4-6847-49e0-a36e-c4fab1b8b34dn@googlegroups.com> <e1e068b7-7790-4103-94fa-09b26d4f27a8n@googlegroups.com> <bad3d9fd-9120-4c5b-9c77-598a2e445379n@googlegroups.com> <aa9addc6-c517-4f2b-9f13-b83f843e0c4an@googlegroups.com> <sl465u$jm4$1@dont-email.me> <c5nbngpnli26j40sje23cfhk484up3qtv6@4ax.com> <sl4o81$hlg$1@dont-email.me> <b4085f9f-2008-43da-ae13-3428916547b0n@googlegroups.com> <o8acngdfm3fomlsm95jqis5t9m57c59k4s@4ax.com> <sl6tpi$vn6$2@dont-email.me> <a8168452-1194-4a96-a856-0cbd9ccb993en@googlegroups.com> <slb2pf$dur$1@dont-email.me>
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 15:46 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 1:31:46 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> One of my MTB descents is wet rocky and very steep, you can hear how hot
> >> the brakes get due to the water boiling off the rotors!
> >>
> >> It’s about the only one though and the brakes don’t seem to mind ie fade
> >> they just get hot!
> >
> > I really don't understand this. Although the off-road stuff I was riding
> > was REALLY extreme and I was fairly careful with the brakes, I warped a
> > disk myself. How can anyone ride off-road crash and burn levels of MTB
> > and not have disk warping? In that video I sited the expansion and
> > contraction of the Shimano sandwich disks were causing them to fracture
> > on the sides. I think they even showed a disk with a chunk broken out of
> > it. It isn't as if this is some unknown problem. That is why Shimano is
> > attempting to find a means of preventing it.
> >
> I’ve yet to but my background is MTB I’m a MTBer who likes road bikes well
> Gravel bikes. So I’m quite light on the bike, after all I grew up with
> bikes with no suspension and primitive braking at best!
>
> I don’t even seem to wear out pads fast and I use organic as sintered does
> my head in!
>
> I go though though the full travel on the suspension now and then, and have
> ripped tires that weren’t burly enough, mainly when first had the full
> suspension and it allows you to travel much faster/harder and the lighter
> weight tires I had being using just didn’t cope!
> > Another problem is that now people are using direct mount calipers. These
> > are mounted directly on carbon fiber forks and chainstays and produce
> > temperatures well above those that melt the resins used in carbon fiber..
> > Because people so rarely are in these positions they don't know what can
> > happen. This reminds me of a video that one of the crit guys posted.
> > There was a guy drafting the camera bike and he pulled out for the final
> > sprint and as he pulled out and hit the gas, his aero wheel distorted
> > over about 30 degrees of course crashing him. Without that video, I'll
> > bet you, he would never have known what cause his crash because the wheel
> > appeared normal after the crash.
> >
> I’d assume that would be a warranty/recall so that I suspect maybe less
> that the full truth.

I intend to mount SpD MTB pedals on the gravel bike. I found some new takeoffs on Ebay so they're coming. I just went down into the garage and the tubeless tires are flat again. There doesn't appear to be any leaking sealant anywhere around the tires and I seem to remember that some tires would absorb the sealant and need almost immediate renewal so that is my next move. With them pumped all of the way up the ride was remarkably smooth very much smoother than the same size tire with a tube in it. I expect the Douglas Vector to ride smother since I installed Latex tubes in them as the only tubes I had that had 40 mm fillers. And since the largest tires that fit that bike are 25's it will need them.

I was one of the first to start riding off-road on MTB's. I had already done a lot of off-road with street bike or what became CX since touring bikes had cantilevers and VB-brakes turned up very rapidly since cantilevers required so much hand strength to stop you. Remember the Bridgestone MB series? It took a whole lot longer than you would expect to catch on. But there was a large uptick when hydraulic suspension forks showed up not so much because of the suspension I believe as much as because that heavy fork held the front end down during hard climbs.

But I used street bikes so much off-road that I could never could quite see the point in an MTB and soon returned. Now they are called gravel bikes but are what I usually rode. I did have some real CX bikes and with 32 mm knobbies on them they rolled quite well on the road. I would do our weekly Moraga Ride ( 37 miles and 3700 feet of climbing up to 10%) on them and they didn't slow me up at all. Of course I was still in my 60's and hadn't started the rather rapid slow down I have gone through.

When I am too old to climb anymore, I will do wind rides and gravel rides that simulate most if not all of the effort. I won't quit and I'm only glad my cop friend brought me back from my near death experience and I intend to torture him with his mistake for the rest of his life.

Re: Bicycle Subjects

<slc148$o2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45113&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45113

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:09:28 -0000 (UTC)
<sl6tpi$vn6$2@dont-email.me>
<a8168452-1194-4a96-a856-0cbd9ccb993en@googlegroups.com>
<slb2pf$dur$1@dont-email.me>
<05cedfdc-c1cb-44a4-b14e-992d22027629n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:hGs2wPoB3u4b4SGWCm/OJqldQ4Q=
 by: Roger Merriman - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:09 UTC

> [...]
> cantilevers required so much hand strength to stop you. Remember the
> Bridgestone MB series? It took a whole lot longer than you would expect
> to catch on. But there was a large uptick when hydraulic suspension forks
> showed up not so much because of the suspension I believe as much as
> because that heavy fork held the front end down during hard climbs.
>
> But I used street bikes so much off-road that I could never could quite
> see the point in an MTB and soon returned. Now they are called gravel
> bikes but are what I usually rode. I did have some real CX bikes and with
> 32 mm knobbies on them they rolled quite well on the road. I would do our
> weekly Moraga Ride ( 37 miles and 3700 feet of climbing up to 10%) on
> them and they didn't slow me up at all. Of course I was still in my 60's
> and hadn't started the rather rapid slow down I have gone through.

If you the Gravel bike copes and well it’s generally a hint that it’s not
really MTB stuff, some of the trails are simply un rideable on gravel bikes
for most people even with 30mm of suspension and 50mm tires, they simply
can’t cope with the slope or hits like a MTB with 60mm + of tire and at
least 100mm of suspension plus the geometry etc, I have both and they are
both great but very different.

> When I am too old to climb anymore, I will do wind rides and gravel rides
> that simulate most if not all of the effort. I won't quit and I'm only
> glad my cop friend brought me back from my near death experience and I
> intend to torture him with his mistake for the rest of his life.

Roger Merriman

Re: Bicycle Subjects

<0d94b00b-4543-49c1-98c0-03031342e51an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45116&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45116

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 10:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:34 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 10:09:31 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> [...]
> > them and they didn't slow me up at all. Of course I was still in my 60's
> > and hadn't started the rather rapid slow down I have gone through.
> >
> If you the Gravel bike copes and well it’s generally a hint that it’s not
> really MTB stuff, some of the trails are simply un rideable on gravel bikes
> for most people even with 30mm of suspension and 50mm tires, they simply
> can’t cope with the slope or hits like a MTB with 60mm + of tire and at
> least 100mm of suspension plus the geometry etc, I have both and they are
> both great but very different.
> > When I am too old to climb anymore, I will do wind rides and gravel rides
> > that simulate most if not all of the effort. I won't quit and I'm only
> > glad my cop friend brought me back from my near death experience and I
> > intend to torture him with his mistake for the rest of his life.

The only stuff that is un-rideable on anything but a mountain bike are areas you purposely have to chose and almost always even a hiker would not take that route. It is one thing saying that you can ride an MTB anywhere and then forcing yourself to ride where a better pathway exists. With care I can ascend and descent 25% trails and doing that on a fully suspended MTB simply makes the ruts less needing of attention.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<e63bfa2c-9289-4eb6-b706-0f80196fb2c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45128&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45128

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:36:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:36 UTC

<11ceb988-8e01-4944-bcb4-b841e2f22480n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45143&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45143

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:08:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 04:08 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 4:36:42 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> Every time you post I get another laugh. For instance. I actually went out and looked at the historic S&P 500. Before Obama was elected the S&P was at 1530. Upon Obama's election it fell to 735. For someone like you who is clumsy with numbers that is a 52% drop. From that point it is pretty difficult to go any way but up. In December of 2018 when Obama left office the S&P was at 2673 which means that the large business investor made only 1000 points and every inch of the way they LOST money which made that "gain" a loss with a 14.2%. inflation. Trump had a 5.6% inflation but by the end of his term it had slowed to 4%, A second term with his policies would have brought it to a halt.
>
> Tell me, do you really think that your lies aren't going to be discovered and thrown right back in your face?

<d0153684-b3d5-49f1-95d3-e914c73619bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45179&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45179

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:49 UTC

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 9:08:19 PM UTC-7, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> So again Tommy boy is a LIAR. Obama was not 14.2% as you LIE. It was only 10.9778%. And Trump's was not 5.6% as you LIE. It was 7.6185%. LIAR LIAR Tommy boy, pants on fire.
>
> Tommy boy, now might be the time I should recommend you stop responding to my FACTS, with your LIES, and run away and hide your head in a toilet.
You didn't check because it didn't fit you leftist propaganda and you haven't any idea of what investing is and only want to argue. PLEASE talk like this around normal people so that someone will snap that pencil neck of yours and put you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life where you can discover just what the Democrats really think of people. You are a radical leftist for one reason only - you are a moron that has nothing because you ARE nothing and you actually believe that the Democrats would give you something despite 100 years of history showing differently.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<slh7gp$nrv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45232&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45232

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:29:13 -0000 (UTC)
<sl6tpi$vn6$2@dont-email.me>
<a8168452-1194-4a96-a856-0cbd9ccb993en@googlegroups.com>
<slb2pf$dur$1@dont-email.me>
<05cedfdc-c1cb-44a4-b14e-992d22027629n@googlegroups.com>
<slc148$o2h$1@dont-email.me>
<0d94b00b-4543-49c1-98c0-03031342e51an@googlegroups.com>
sha1:wocuIBqilUC/Gt/UnrOjbj4KY2k=
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:29 UTC

> [...]
>> least 100mm of suspension plus the geometry etc, I have both and they are
>> both great but very different.
>>> When I am too old to climb anymore, I will do wind rides and gravel rides
>>> that simulate most if not all of the effort. I won't quit and I'm only
>>> glad my cop friend brought me back from my near death experience and I
>>> intend to torture him with his mistake for the rest of his life.
>>>
>> Roger Merriman
> The only stuff that is un-rideable on anything but a mountain bike are
> areas you purposely have to chose and almost always even a hiker would
> not take that route. It is one thing saying that you can ride an MTB
> anywhere and then forcing yourself to ride where a better pathway exists.
> With care I can ascend and descent 25% trails and doing that on a fully
> suspended MTB simply makes the ruts less needing of attention.

Why would you choose to ride tame stuff like fire roads even if steep on a
MTB it’s frankly dull!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<814f6476-fdab-4743-9b0f-bd42fb611327n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45236&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45236

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:44:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:44 UTC

<slhb5p$30g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45246&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45246

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:31:37 -0000 (UTC)
<sl6tpi$vn6$2@dont-email.me>
<a8168452-1194-4a96-a856-0cbd9ccb993en@googlegroups.com>
<slb2pf$dur$1@dont-email.me>
<05cedfdc-c1cb-44a4-b14e-992d22027629n@googlegroups.com>
<slc148$o2h$1@dont-email.me>
<0d94b00b-4543-49c1-98c0-03031342e51an@googlegroups.com>
<slh7gp$nrv$1@dont-email.me>
<814f6476-fdab-4743-9b0f-bd42fb611327n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:/bXyGP+e0mO9oIJpYxPDgieyHKc=
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:31 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 9:29:15 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The only stuff that is un-rideable on anything but a mountain bike are
>>> areas you purposely have to chose and almost always even a hiker would
>>> not take that route. It is one thing saying that you can ride an MTB
>>> anywhere and then forcing yourself to ride where a better pathway exists.
>>> With care I can ascend and descent 25% trails and doing that on a fully
>>> suspended MTB simply makes the ruts less needing of attention.
>>>
>> Why would you choose to ride tame stuff like fire roads even if steep on a
>> MTB it’s frankly dull!
>>
>> MTB allows one to tackle much more technical climbs/descents and so on,
>> I’ve just been on a short 14 mile loop on the old workings on the hill
>> behind, with very soggy land and 1800ft climbing it’s a hard but fun ride,
>> but also way beyond a Gravel bike, the land is too rocky too steep and too
>> many hits.
>>
>> I’ve ridden on sections on the Gravel bike and it’s no fun even in summer
>> your nursing the bike as you don’t want to rip a sidewall or crack a rim
>> and so on.
>
> I don't know what you mean by a "technical climb" 5 mph makes almost
> nothing "technical" In my experience, you had to TRY to crash a full
> suspension. The only technical climb I could think of was a slippery 23%
> climb and you had to stop at the 100 yard top of that to catch your
> breath. Granted, I could not climb that section on a gravel bike but I
> could get to within 10 feet of the top before the bike simply didn't have
> the gears to continue. And you couldn't put any lower gears on a bike
> like that because it would just lift the front wheel. And if you stood
> you would lose traction. MTBs are heavier, longer and so have a lot more
> traction on climbs so they can carry tiny gears.

Technical would mean more than simply steep, personally would need to be a
climb where line choice is crucial and it’s by no means sure that you’ll
clear it, so maybe heavily rutted, with roots, rock step ups, and so on.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Bicycle Subjects

<5bca1a20-8290-4486-96c4-8ff4c661f240n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45250&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45250

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
<05cedfdc-c1cb-44a4-b14e-992d22027629n@googlegroups.com> <slc148$o2h$1@dont-email.me>
<0d94b00b-4543-49c1-98c0-03031342e51an@googlegroups.com> <slh7gp$nrv$1@dont-email.me>
<814f6476-fdab-4743-9b0f-bd42fb611327n@googlegroups.com> <slhb5p$30g$1@dont-email.me>
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:33 UTC

On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 10:31:39 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why would you choose to ride tame stuff like fire roads even if steep on a
> >> MTB it’s frankly dull!
> >>
> >> MTB allows one to tackle much more technical climbs/descents and so on,
> >> I’ve just been on a short 14 mile loop on the old workings on the hill
> >> behind, with very soggy land and 1800ft climbing it’s a hard but fun ride,
> >> but also way beyond a Gravel bike, the land is too rocky too steep and too
> >> many hits.
> >>
> >> I’ve ridden on sections on the Gravel bike and it’s no fun even in summer
> >> your nursing the bike as you don’t want to rip a sidewall or crack a rim
> >> and so on.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by a "technical climb" 5 mph makes almost
> > nothing "technical" In my experience, you had to TRY to crash a full
> > suspension. The only technical climb I could think of was a slippery 23%
> > climb and you had to stop at the 100 yard top of that to catch your
> > breath. Granted, I could not climb that section on a gravel bike but I
> > could get to within 10 feet of the top before the bike simply didn't have
> > the gears to continue. And you couldn't put any lower gears on a bike
> > like that because it would just lift the front wheel. And if you stood
> > you would lose traction. MTBs are heavier, longer and so have a lot more
> > traction on climbs so they can carry tiny gears.
> >
> Technical would mean more than simply steep, personally would need to be a
> climb where line choice is crucial and it’s by no means sure that you’ll
> clear it, so maybe heavily rutted, with roots, rock step ups, and so on.
>
> Roger Merriman.
Well, if you find that sort of riding enjoyable, more power to you. But I prefer to take the easy way up.