From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Texting via Phone App in Windws 10
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 22:18:31 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 02:18 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote

> Ah, BT req. Don't have those on my old custom built desktops.
> Not even wifi. I guess expensive Macs will here.

Hi Ant,
One simple trick to put Wi-Fi onto any desktop that has Ethernet
is to plug any old router into that port and configure that old
router as your Wi-Fi gateway (mine use a client/bridge setup).

Since I live on top of a mountain that has no utilities whatsoever
except for electricity (and landline, if people still use it),
we get our Internet from a few miles away over the air to an
antenna on another hilltop.

Given that situtaion, we always have spare antennas lying around where,
since they can go miles, they make great range extenders inside the house!

<https://i.postimg.cc/MHK8gCFL/wirelessbridge01.jpg> dd-wrt client bridge
<https://i.postimg.cc/k5Hfvmfh/wirelessbridge02.jpg> dd-wrt bridge repeater
<https://i.postimg.cc/65xbPBwk/wirelessbridge03.jpg> run site survey & join
<https://i.postimg.cc/L5KDGVdt/wirelessbridge04.jpg> both SSIDs now work
<https://i.postimg.cc/SKvK2ccJ/wirelessbridge05.jpg> Windows elegant finesse
<https://i.postimg.cc/XJChDCPr/spare-access-points.jpg> Spare powerful APs

All you do is the following:
a. You usually flash the old router with dd-wrt (or equivalent).
b. You usually set up the router as a client bridge (or similar).
c. You usually connect to your home router (or AP hanging off of it).

That's it. It works beautifully to add Wi-Fi to a PC that doesn't have it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Gh22Sb2N/desktop.jpg> Desktop MikroTik pseudobridge
<https://i.postimg.cc/Bv0wZbDh/pbe-m2-400-802-11-wifi-setting.jpg> AP
<https://i.postimg.cc/6QJqK6Cj/desktop02.jpg> Desktop MikroTik WISP radios
<https://i.postimg.cc/DfQJq437/mikrotikrouter.jpg> WISP router transceiver
<https://i.postimg.cc/s2c2L8Wd/mikrotik-router.jpg> Parts cost ~$150 new
<https://i.postimg.cc/yx4CgWYt/mikrotik-router-config.jpg> MikroTik -40dBm
<https://i.postimg.cc/Dzq9Bsjs/pb-m2-400-nanobeam.jpg> PowerBeam M2-400
<https://i.postimg.cc/kg5LKkz9/pbe-m2-400-airmax-setting.jpg> AirMax TDMA
<https://i.postimg.cc/htQ469sQ/pbe-m2-400-ap-station.jpg> AP or Repeater
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcBWpxnV/pbe-m2-400-bridge-router.jpg> Bridge
<https://i.postimg.cc/pLXCzFxC/powerbeam-nanobeam.jpg> Magnetic dishalt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
--
The whole point of Usenet is to find people who know more than you do.
And to add tribal knowledge to the newsgroup archives for others to find.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Texting via Phone App in Windws 10