At many levels, Perl is a "diagonal" language. -- Larry Wall in <199709021854.LAA12794@wall.org>

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: France and an old Roman Road House

SubjectAuthor
* France and an old Roman Road HouseTom Kunich
+* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseAMuzi
|`* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseRalph Barone
| `- Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseAMuzi
+* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseFrank Krygowski
`* Re: France and an old Roman Road Houserussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 +* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseTom Kunich
 |`- Re: France and an old Roman Road Houserussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 +* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseLou Holtman
 |+- Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseTom Kunich
 |+- Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseFrank Krygowski
 |+* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseRalph Barone
 ||`- Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseTom Kunich
 |`* Re: France and an old Roman Road Houserussellseaton1@yahoo.com
 | `- Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseLou Holtman
 `* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseFrank Krygowski
  `* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseLou Holtman
   `* Re: France and an old Roman Road Houserussellseaton1@yahoo.com
    `* Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseLou Holtman
     `- Re: France and an old Roman Road HouseTom Kunich

1
France and an old Roman Road House

<06140dfa-96a9-4b8a-aedd-8d39e7ee9a55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45817&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45817

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 09:27:42 -0800 (PST)
Subject: France and an old Roman Road House
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:27 UTC

As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.

I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as part of the modern culture.

The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.

Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.

I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<sm94s4$8cs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45822&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45822

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: France and an old Roman Road House
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 12:11:16 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:11 UTC

On 11/7/2021 11:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
>
> I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as part of the modern culture.
>
> The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.
>
> Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
>
> I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.

A Picasso is a steal right now!

https://washingtonnewspost.com/news/usa/hunter-bidens-paintings-pricier-than-picassos-devine/

Bastards selling Picasso probably want to charge sales tax
and give you a receipt and all that.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<sm9dfh$gmi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45823&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45823

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:38:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:38 UTC

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 11/7/2021 11:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed
>> the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years
>> old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked
>> modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the
>> pores in the stones.
>>
>> I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman
>> structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as
>> part of the modern culture.
>>
>> The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's
>> and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California
>> where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more
>> permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was
>> the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the
>> shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked
>> up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a
>> coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off
>> somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.
>>
>> Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds
>> of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post
>> modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that
>> crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
>>
>> I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than
>> in the entire Louvre'.
>>

> A Picasso is a steal right now!
>
> https://washingtonnewspost.com/news/usa/hunter-bidens-paintings-pricier-than-picassos-devine/
>
> Bastards selling Picasso probably want to charge sales tax
> and give you a receipt and all that.

So Tom actually posts something which, while not bicycling related, reads
well, is interesting and expresses an opinion without going into Loonie
Toons Q-Anon territory, and you have to follow it up with THAT? Just when
I thought there was hope for the world.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<sm9gh2$qq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45825&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45825

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 15:30:02 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:30 UTC

On 11/7/2021 2:38 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
>> On 11/7/2021 11:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed
>>> the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years
>>> old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked
>>> modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the
>>> pores in the stones.
>>>
>>> I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman
>>> structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as
>>> part of the modern culture.
>>>
>>> The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's
>>> and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California
>>> where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more
>>> permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was
>>> the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the
>>> shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked
>>> up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a
>>> coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off
>>> somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.
>>>
>>> Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds
>>> of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post
>>> modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that
>>> crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
>>>
>>> I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than
>>> in the entire Louvre'.
>>>

>> A Picasso is a steal right now!
>>
>> https://washingtonnewspost.com/news/usa/hunter-bidens-paintings-pricier-than-picassos-devine/
>>
>> Bastards selling Picasso probably want to charge sales tax
>> and give you a receipt and all that.
>>

> So Tom actually posts something which, while not bicycling related, reads
> well, is interesting and expresses an opinion without going into Loonie
> Toons Q-Anon territory, and you have to follow it up with THAT? Just when
> I thought there was hope for the world.

The Picasso for sale across the street from Mr Biden The
Younger's work has been 'newsy' for a couple of weeks. I
admit to having an offbeat sense of humor but I find it all
hilarious:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/arts/design/has-the-art-market-become-an-unwitting-partner-in-crime.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<sm9je8$i9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45830&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45830

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:19:53 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:19 UTC

On 11/7/2021 12:27 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.

One of the most interesting places we stayed was in Amboise, France, the
city with Leonardo da Vinci's grave. It was a very nice apartment, which
like many there were carved directly into the chalky cliff.

I read that this was an excellent way for a landowner to fashion a home.
Supposedly, the rock was quite soft and easy to excavate and even
sculpt. The stone that was excavated was marketable, the opposite of
paying for construction materials to build a house. And once the air hit
the freshly carved walls, that stone hardened nicely.

The one we stayed in was charming - tastefully modern, very comfortable,
up one flight of stairs and with a lovely little balcony that was great
for relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<bfeedd1f-de0f-4874-a312-6ed06b4677c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45831&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45831

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:46:54 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:46 UTC

On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 2:19:56 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 11/7/2021 12:27 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
> One of the most interesting places we stayed was in Amboise, France, the
> city with Leonardo da Vinci's grave. It was a very nice apartment, which
> like many there were carved directly into the chalky cliff.
>
> I read that this was an excellent way for a landowner to fashion a home.
> Supposedly, the rock was quite soft and easy to excavate and even
> sculpt. The stone that was excavated was marketable, the opposite of
> paying for construction materials to build a house. And once the air hit
> the freshly carved walls, that stone hardened nicely.
>
> The one we stayed in was charming - tastefully modern, very comfortable,
> up one flight of stairs and with a lovely little balcony that was great
> for relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine.
Think I'll go relax and enjoy a glass of wine. I just returned from a 46 mile ride. Rain tomorrow and Tuesday, my regular riding day.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<e37d1441-3cdc-4d4e-98ea-eb1b00a2df1dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45891&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45891

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:05:08 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 23:05 UTC

On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 11:19:56 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 11/7/2021 12:27 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
> One of the most interesting places we stayed was in Amboise, France, the
> city with Leonardo da Vinci's grave. It was a very nice apartment, which
> like many there were carved directly into the chalky cliff.
>
> I read that this was an excellent way for a landowner to fashion a home.
> Supposedly, the rock was quite soft and easy to excavate and even
> sculpt. The stone that was excavated was marketable, the opposite of
> paying for construction materials to build a house. And once the air hit
> the freshly carved walls, that stone hardened nicely.
>
> The one we stayed in was charming - tastefully modern, very comfortable,
> up one flight of stairs and with a lovely little balcony that was great
> for relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine.
>

> --
> - Frank Krygowski

On my ride last week I passed a farmhouse with anno 1678 above the front door. People just lived there, not a museum. Our town-hall was originally build in 1300 and rebuild between 1597-1599, still in use for ceremonies.

Lou

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<e4e78e90-2a04-49ed-94a6-6421a8f73038n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45913&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45913

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 15:44 UTC

On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 3:05:10 PM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 11:19:56 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 11/7/2021 12:27 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > > As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
> > One of the most interesting places we stayed was in Amboise, France, the
> > city with Leonardo da Vinci's grave. It was a very nice apartment, which
> > like many there were carved directly into the chalky cliff.
> >
> > I read that this was an excellent way for a landowner to fashion a home..
> > Supposedly, the rock was quite soft and easy to excavate and even
> > sculpt. The stone that was excavated was marketable, the opposite of
> > paying for construction materials to build a house. And once the air hit
> > the freshly carved walls, that stone hardened nicely.
> >
> > The one we stayed in was charming - tastefully modern, very comfortable,
> > up one flight of stairs and with a lovely little balcony that was great
> > for relaxing and enjoying a glass of wine.
> >

> > --
> > - Frank Krygowski
> On my ride last week I passed a farmhouse with anno 1678 above the front door. People just lived there, not a museum. Our town-hall was originally build in 1300 and rebuild between 1597-1599, still in use for ceremonies.

Very often any structure here over 100 years old is a winery or such. Can you believe picking up a bottle of wine bragging on the label that they were founded in 1989?

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<1a620887-fc44-4b83-ab12-8f44dd503266n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46230&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46230

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 02:19:23 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:19 UTC

On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
>
> I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as part of the modern culture.
>
> The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.

So you were in Paris and did not go to the Louvre and see the Mona Lisa by da Vinci? Guessing if you were in Chicago you would not go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see Grant Wood's American Gothic. Too modern since it was painted in 1930. Less than a century old! When you were in Paris did you even bother and waste your time gong to the Eiffel Tower? Or to the Arc de Triomphe? Its a little over 200 years old. Eiffel is newer than the Arc. Eiffel is only about 130 years old. Modern. Just like the Statue of Liberty is almost brand new. Heck, Mt. Rushmore is less than a century old! Brand spanking new.

I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre. And the Arc and the Eiffel. And saw Notre Dame Cathedral. Didn't go inside, just saw it from outside. And toured Versailles Palace and its gardens. Its pretty impressive. Also went to Musee d'Orsay with Van Gogh paintings. Pretty sure I saw some Rembrandt paintings and Picasso paintings at some Paris museums too. I also saw the spot on the road where Princess Diana was killed in the car crash. It was the ten year anniversary when I was in Paris. There were signs or markers or something on the road (flower bouquets) where it happened. I'd recommend going to Paris to see the museums and paintings and statues and such. Well worth the trip.

> Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
>
> I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<7e5a7faf-c0af-44da-90cb-cdb453a8b5dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46234&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46234

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 07:51:13 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 15:51 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 2:19:25 AM UTC-8, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
> >
> > I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as part of the modern culture.
> >
> > The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.
> >
> So you were in Paris and did not go to the Louvre and see the Mona Lisa by da Vinci? Guessing if you were in Chicago you would not go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see Grant Wood's American Gothic. Too modern since it was painted in 1930. Less than a century old! When you were in Paris did you even bother and waste your time gong to the Eiffel Tower? Or to the Arc de Triomphe? Its a little over 200 years old. Eiffel is newer than the Arc. Eiffel is only about 130 years old. Modern. Just like the Statue of Liberty is almost brand new. Heck, Mt. Rushmore is less than a century old! Brand spanking new.
>
> I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre. And the Arc and the Eiffel. And saw Notre Dame Cathedral. Didn't go inside, just saw it from outside. And toured Versailles Palace and its gardens. Its pretty impressive. Also went to Musee d'Orsay with Van Gogh paintings. Pretty sure I saw some Rembrandt paintings and Picasso paintings at some Paris museums too. I also saw the spot on the road where Princess Diana was killed in the car crash. It was the ten year anniversary when I was in Paris. There were signs or markers or something on the road (flower bouquets) where it happened. I'd recommend going to Paris to see the museums and paintings and statues and such. Well worth the trip.
> > Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
> >
> > I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.

Is there some reason that you can't help looking like a fool? If you want to see the Mona Lisa or a Van Gogh, you need only buy an art book. That way you don't have to stand in an endless line and be ushered from room to room in abject silence as it art is some sort of magic that requires more respect than the presence of God. There was more real art in that old roman road house or the cafe I went to across the Seine while my wife and step-daughter attended the Louvre. I actually go places and do things. Often when I was working my company would buy me a vacation because I wouldn't take one for years on end.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<9edfcce7-488b-4f29-b167-2ee064447b09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46236&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46236

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 08:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:00 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 11:19:25 AM UTC+1, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 11:27:45 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > As an American staying overnight at an old Roman road house impressed the hell out of me. Something really old in the US is perhaps 150 years old. That road house was closer to 2,000 years old. The room looked modern enough but you still could feel the age of it pouring out of the pores in the stones.
> >
> > I would expect that it would be a known place but I guess Roman structures still in use are so common in Europe that they are ignored as part of the modern culture.
> >
> > The small hotel I stayed at in Paris was probably from the early 1800's and you sure as hell wouldn't see things like that here in California where earthquakes rapidly break down stone structures that are more permanent. Unfortunately the thing I most remember about that hotel was the toilet being at the end of the hallway common to all patrons and the shower being on the ground floor. Going though an antique store I picked up a painting of a similar if not THE hotel. And another that showed a coffee shop I went to one day when the wife and daughter were off somewhere like the Louvre' for which I had no interest.
> >
> So you were in Paris and did not go to the Louvre and see the Mona Lisa by da Vinci? Guessing if you were in Chicago you would not go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see Grant Wood's American Gothic. Too modern since it was painted in 1930. Less than a century old! When you were in Paris did you even bother and waste your time gong to the Eiffel Tower? Or to the Arc de Triomphe? Its a little over 200 years old. Eiffel is newer than the Arc. Eiffel is only about 130 years old. Modern. Just like the Statue of Liberty is almost brand new. Heck, Mt. Rushmore is less than a century old! Brand spanking new.
>
> I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre. And the Arc and the Eiffel. And saw Notre Dame Cathedral. Didn't go inside, just saw it from outside. And toured Versailles Palace and its gardens. Its pretty impressive. Also went to Musee d'Orsay with Van Gogh paintings. Pretty sure I saw some Rembrandt paintings and Picasso paintings at some Paris museums too. I also saw the spot on the road where Princess Diana was killed in the car crash. It was the ten year anniversary when I was in Paris. There were signs or markers or something on the road (flower bouquets) where it happened. I'd recommend going to Paris to see the museums and paintings and statues and such. Well worth the trip.
> > Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
> >
> > I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.

Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty about that. We have our Rijksmuseum. I was lucky to be able to visit it when it was not crowded. Nice but I rather would cycled the Alpes.

Lou

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<2101cc24-5e56-4240-8a07-1540af2334d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46240&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46240

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 08:13:26 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:13 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 8:00:09 AM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
> > >
> > > I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.
> Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty about that. We have our Rijksmuseum. I was lucky to be able to visit it when it was not crowded. Nice but I rather would cycled the Alpes.

In the San Francisco Museum of Natural History is one of the worlds largest collections of butterflies from all over the world. I've never gone to see it since the man who made that collection lived one block away from me and he invited me in to see them while he was alive. He explained where he had gotten them and how he preserved them, Because of destruction of the salt marsh, many of the local butterflies are now extinct. But sitting in the coffee shop yesterday a Monarch Butterfly flew past me. So the Monarch's may be trying to use this area as a part of their migration pattern again. I fear that unlikely since the local flora has been almost entirely replaced by species incompatible with butterflies.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<smrdgl$h6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46243&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46243

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:29:06 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:29 UTC

On 11/14/2021 5:19 AM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:

> I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre.

Bike related anecdote: My wife and I were in Paris, but on a slightly
tight schedule based on our limited hotel reservation. We walked to a
museum of medieval art (I won't bother to look up it's name now) then
decided to head for the Rodin museum. I suggested we try our first ever
bike share rental.

We walked to a nearby bike share terminal and watched an obviously
confused guy trying to rent a bike. Turns out he was from the U.S.
midwest. He and I puzzled over instructions until things worked, and he
said "I'd never have figured this out on my own."

So my wife and I got bikes and pedaled off feeling very touristy, and
located a terminal to return the bikes. We greatly enjoyed Rodin, then
re-rented a couple bikes to head to the Louvre for a quick visit.

Well. At the Louvre, all the bike share spots were full. We couldn't
return the bikes. We rode on to the next closest terminal and found the
same thing. Ditto for a third. Eventually we found a fairly distant
place to return the bikes, but by now we would have had only a few
minutes in the Louvre. We reluctantly skipped it and walked around Paris
instead.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<708e1241-e296-436a-9af8-dc131e67bb5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46247&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46247

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 08:37:48 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:37 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 5:29:12 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 11/14/2021 5:19 AM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre.
> Bike related anecdote: My wife and I were in Paris, but on a slightly
> tight schedule based on our limited hotel reservation. We walked to a
> museum of medieval art (I won't bother to look up it's name now) then
> decided to head for the Rodin museum. I suggested we try our first ever
> bike share rental.
>
> We walked to a nearby bike share terminal and watched an obviously
> confused guy trying to rent a bike. Turns out he was from the U.S.
> midwest. He and I puzzled over instructions until things worked, and he
> said "I'd never have figured this out on my own."
>
> So my wife and I got bikes and pedaled off feeling very touristy, and
> located a terminal to return the bikes. We greatly enjoyed Rodin, then
> re-rented a couple bikes to head to the Louvre for a quick visit.
>
> Well. At the Louvre, all the bike share spots were full. We couldn't
> return the bikes. We rode on to the next closest terminal and found the
> same thing. Ditto for a third. Eventually we found a fairly distant
> place to return the bikes, but by now we would have had only a few
> minutes in the Louvre. We reluctantly skipped it and walked around Paris
> instead.

That was a much better way to absorb the atmosfeer of Paris IMO. The Eifel tower is a but ugly construction as most of the world fair structures and turned into an amusement park. Not my cup of tea.

Lou

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<smre1q$rdt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46248&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46248

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:38:04 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:38 UTC

On 11/14/2021 11:00 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty about that. We have our Rijksmuseum.

I'm not tremendously educated about art, but when we visited Amsterdam,
we were lucky to have friends from Dublin come over to spend a couple
days with us. I hadn't known that they were very knowledgeable about art
and art history. When we toured the Rijksmuseum it was like having our
own personal docents. It was a lovely time in a very impressive museum.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<smregj$11j5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46251&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46251

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:46:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 16:46 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Paris. There were signs or markers or something on the road (flower
>> bouquets) where it happened. I'd recommend going to Paris to see the
>> museums and paintings and statues and such. Well worth the trip.
>>> Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds
>>> of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like
>>> post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but
>>> for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
>>>
>>> I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than
>>> in the entire Louvre'.
>
> Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how
> crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty
> about that. We have our Rijksmuseum. I was lucky to be able to visit it
> when it was not crowded. Nice but I rather would cycled the Alpes.

Touring the Vatican I felt the way hamburger must feel when it goes through
a meat grinder. Except for COVID, now is probably the best time ever to
see Europe as a tourist.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<3914b88a-9d3c-45f5-9d59-0638129d6d53n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46253&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46253

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:23:17 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 17:23 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 8:46:15 AM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> So you were in Paris and did not go to the Louvre and see the Mona Lisa
> >> by da Vinci? Guessing if you were in Chicago you would not go to the Art
> >> Institute of Chicago and see Grant Wood's American Gothic. Too modern
> >> since it was painted in 1930. Less than a century old! When you were in
> >> Paris did you even bother and waste your time gong to the Eiffel Tower?
> >> Or to the Arc de Triomphe? Its a little over 200 years old. Eiffel is
> >> newer than the Arc. Eiffel is only about 130 years old. Modern. Just
> >> like the Statue of Liberty is almost brand new. Heck, Mt. Rushmore is
> >> less than a century old! Brand spanking new.
> >>
> >> I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre. And the Arc and the Eiffel.
> >> And saw Notre Dame Cathedral. Didn't go inside, just saw it from
> >> outside. And toured Versailles Palace and its gardens. Its pretty
> >> impressive. Also went to Musee d'Orsay with Van Gogh paintings. Pretty
> >> sure I saw some Rembrandt paintings and Picasso paintings at some Paris
> >> museums too. I also saw the spot on the road where Princess Diana was
> >> killed in the car crash. It was the ten year anniversary when I was in
> >> Paris. There were signs or markers or something on the road (flower
> >> bouquets) where it happened. I'd recommend going to Paris to see the
> >> museums and paintings and statues and such. Well worth the trip.

> > Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how
> > crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty
> > about that. We have our Rijksmuseum. I was lucky to be able to visit it
> > when it was not crowded. Nice but I rather would cycled the Alpes.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> Touring the Vatican I felt the way hamburger must feel when it goes through
> a meat grinder. Except for COVID, now is probably the best time ever to
> see Europe as a tourist.

I realize that all people can talk about is a phony pandemic but it really is a total hoax. The CDC statistics page show absolutely NO increased levels of deaths from respiratory disease in 2020 or 2021. There is a rather larger than usual number of deaths due to circulatory diseases shown on the charts but I suggest that this is non-existent. There is a thing called "weighting" that the CDC does. This is normally the estimated 10% of deaths that slip between the cracks - homeless, people who die in their homes etc. This is accounted for by adding an additional 10% to the actual body counts. Since the CDC is paying $50,000 per reported covid-19 death, the medical facilities are accepting anyone that has a cold. This means that the addition of weighting is entirely incorrect and is probably closer to 1% rather than the 10% used.

Also looking at the charts they LONG AGO stopped using actual body counts but rather are using "predicted" numbers of deaths. Again, this is a computer model that assumes that the normal causes of death are occurring and that any reported covid-19 deaths are by definition excess. Well, that is an entire lie and you will notice that they conveniently hide that fact by not giving the actual body counts for 2010-2019 and 2020 and 2021. My guess is that there were actually fewer people killed since people normally die from pneumonia contracted during extended periods of being bedridden and this was DOWN in 2021 for the first half of the year..

As someone noted - we are told that covid-19 escaped from a class 4 containment area but a paper mask with make you safe. Believe anything you like but even if there is nothing wrong with these vaccines, they are a far greater threat to people than a non-existent disease.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<f477e1de-1d28-4eda-847a-e5c6fd3f5d9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46259&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46259

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:37:35 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:37 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 9:51:15 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
> > >
> > > I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.
> Is there some reason that you can't help looking like a fool? If you want to see the Mona Lisa or a Van Gogh, you need only buy an art book.

Oh My!!!!!! After you are dead Tommy boy. The scientists, researchers, medical people, need to examine your brain(HaHa) and figure out how it comes up with these ridiculous statements. Maybe, probably, there is some kind of chemical imbalance in your head. By your logic(HoHo) there is no reason to go see the Grand Canyon. Just look at pictures on the internet. No reason to see Mt. Rushmore. Look at pictures in a book. No reason to see the Redwood or Sequoia trees in person in northern California. Just read a magazine article with pictures of them. No reason to visit Washington DC and see the White House or Washington Monument or Lincoln Memorial or Arlington and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Just watch a YouTube video. No reason to see the Taj Mahal in India. Books show it. No reason for Muslims to visit Mecca. Just watch a news video of others doing the pilgrimage.

Heck, with your logic(???????) one could just ride one of those Peloton exercise bikes all the time. No need to actually go outside and ride a bike. Or maybe just watch those cycling shows of the Tour de France stages. Just as good as riding a bike yourself. Right?

That way you don't have to stand in an endless line and be ushered from room to room in abject silence as it art is some sort of magic that requires more respect than the presence of God. There was more real art in that old roman road house or the cafe I went to across the Seine while my wife and step-daughter attended the Louvre. I actually go places and do things. Often when I was working my company would buy me a vacation because I wouldn't take one for years on end.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<f5c59177-118a-4210-8471-5574ef66d3b3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46260&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46260

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:45:28 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:45 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 10:00:09 AM UTC-6, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > Later they related their experience there being as I suspected - crowds of people elbow to elbow ooing and ahhing about idiotic things like post modern Picasso. Picasso was a pretty good realistic painter but for that crap he painted to make a lot of money - he could keep it.
> > >
> > > I think that there was more artistic work in that Roman Road House than in the entire Louvre'.
> Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty about that. We have our Rijksmuseum. I was lucky to be able to visit it when it was not crowded. Nice but I rather would cycled the Alpes.

I was in Paris in August 2007. After the completion of Paris Brest Paris. We stayed in Paris and France for an extra week as tourists. Yes there were crowds. People all over the place. But nothing to be concerned about. I've been to basketball and football and baseball stadiums and was not anxiety ridden. I'm sure you have been to soccer (futbol) matches and have lived. And maybe even enjoyed the games. Having people around is generally just a part of being alive.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<e345bb05-1399-4889-afda-3b5074ffda64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46261&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46261

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:50:36 -0800 (PST)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 20:50 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 10:37:50 AM UTC-6, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 5:29:12 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 11/14/2021 5:19 AM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre.
> > Bike related anecdote: My wife and I were in Paris, but on a slightly
> > tight schedule based on our limited hotel reservation. We walked to a
> > museum of medieval art (I won't bother to look up it's name now) then
> > decided to head for the Rodin museum. I suggested we try our first ever
> > bike share rental.
> >
> > We walked to a nearby bike share terminal and watched an obviously
> > confused guy trying to rent a bike. Turns out he was from the U.S.
> > midwest. He and I puzzled over instructions until things worked, and he
> > said "I'd never have figured this out on my own."
> >
> > So my wife and I got bikes and pedaled off feeling very touristy, and
> > located a terminal to return the bikes. We greatly enjoyed Rodin, then
> > re-rented a couple bikes to head to the Louvre for a quick visit.
> >
> > Well. At the Louvre, all the bike share spots were full. We couldn't
> > return the bikes. We rode on to the next closest terminal and found the
> > same thing. Ditto for a third. Eventually we found a fairly distant
> > place to return the bikes, but by now we would have had only a few
> > minutes in the Louvre. We reluctantly skipped it and walked around Paris
> > instead.
> That was a much better way to absorb the atmosfeer of Paris IMO. The Eifel tower is a but ugly construction as most of the world fair structures and turned into an amusement park. Not my cup of tea.
>
> Lou

I have a picture at night of the Arc de Triomphe taken from one of the tourist platforms on the Eiffel Tower. Very pretty picture that hung above my fireplace. A friend took one of my pictures and made it into a big picture and gave it to me as a birthday or Christmas gift. Looking at the lights of Paris at night from the Eiffel Tower was a very nice experience.

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<c5fd3598-49f4-4750-aa5e-edeb504e681an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46263&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46263

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:06:14 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:06 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 9:45:30 PM UTC+1, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 10:00:09 AM UTC-6, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > So you were in Paris and did not go to the Louvre and see the Mona Lisa by da Vinci? Guessing if you were in Chicago you would not go to the Art Institute of Chicago and see Grant Wood's American Gothic. Too modern since it was painted in 1930. Less than a century old! When you were in Paris did you even bother and waste your time gong to the Eiffel Tower? Or to the Arc de Triomphe? Its a little over 200 years old. Eiffel is newer than the Arc. Eiffel is only about 130 years old. Modern. Just like the Statue of Liberty is almost brand new. Heck, Mt. Rushmore is less than a century old! Brand spanking new.
> > >
> > > I've been to Paris and I went to the Louvre. And the Arc and the Eiffel. And saw Notre Dame Cathedral. Didn't go inside, just saw it from outside. And toured Versailles Palace and its gardens. Its pretty impressive. Also went to Musee d'Orsay with Van Gogh paintings. Pretty sure I saw some Rembrandt paintings and Picasso paintings at some Paris museums too. I also saw the spot on the road where Princess Diana was killed in the car crash. It was the ten year anniversary when I was in Paris. There were signs or markers or something on the road (flower bouquets) where it happened. I'd recommend going to Paris to see the museums and paintings and statues and such. Well worth the trip.

> > Not everyone has the same interests. Pre corona did you notice how crowded the Louvre was? To me too crowded I passed. I don't feel guilty about that. We have our Rijksmuseum. I was lucky to be able to visit it when it was not crowded. Nice but I rather would cycled the Alpes.
> >
> > Lou
> I was in Paris in August 2007. After the completion of Paris Brest Paris. We stayed in Paris and France for an extra week as tourists. Yes there were crowds. People all over the place. But nothing to be concerned about. I've been to basketball and football and baseball stadiums and was not anxiety ridden. I'm sure you have been to soccer (futbol) matches and have lived. And maybe even enjoyed the games. Having people around is generally just a part of being alive.

So?

Lou

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<1ad4baf3-7299-45ec-9898-7339f588b22bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46264&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46264

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 13:11:17 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 21:11 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 9:50:38 PM UTC+1, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 10:37:50 AM UTC-6, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Bike related anecdote: My wife and I were in Paris, but on a slightly
> > > tight schedule based on our limited hotel reservation. We walked to a
> > > museum of medieval art (I won't bother to look up it's name now) then
> > > decided to head for the Rodin museum. I suggested we try our first ever
> > > bike share rental.
> > >
> > > We walked to a nearby bike share terminal and watched an obviously
> > > confused guy trying to rent a bike. Turns out he was from the U.S.
> > > midwest. He and I puzzled over instructions until things worked, and he
> > > said "I'd never have figured this out on my own."
> > >
> > > So my wife and I got bikes and pedaled off feeling very touristy, and
> > > located a terminal to return the bikes. We greatly enjoyed Rodin, then
> > > re-rented a couple bikes to head to the Louvre for a quick visit.
> > >
> > > Well. At the Louvre, all the bike share spots were full. We couldn't
> > > return the bikes. We rode on to the next closest terminal and found the
> > > same thing. Ditto for a third. Eventually we found a fairly distant
> > > place to return the bikes, but by now we would have had only a few
> > > minutes in the Louvre. We reluctantly skipped it and walked around Paris
> > > instead.
> > That was a much better way to absorb the atmosfeer of Paris IMO. The Eifel tower is a but ugly construction as most of the world fair structures and turned into an amusement park. Not my cup of tea.
> >
> > Lou
> I have a picture at night of the Arc de Triomphe taken from one of the tourist platforms on the Eiffel Tower. Very pretty picture that hung above my fireplace. A friend took one of my pictures and made it into a big picture and gave it to me as a birthday or Christmas gift. Looking at the lights of Paris at night from the Eiffel Tower was a very nice experience.

You can download the same picture from the internet. I will print it for you on a wide format printer for you. On wall paper if you like.

Lou

Re: France and an old Roman Road House

<5389a139-4ecc-4060-87e4-37563e4fda0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46271&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46271

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 14:54:17 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 22:54 UTC

On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 1:11:19 PM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, November 14, 2021 at 9:50:38 PM UTC+1, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > That was a much better way to absorb the atmosfeer of Paris IMO. The Eifel tower is a but ugly construction as most of the world fair structures and turned into an amusement park. Not my cup of tea.
> > >
> > > Lou
> > I have a picture at night of the Arc de Triomphe taken from one of the tourist platforms on the Eiffel Tower. Very pretty picture that hung above my fireplace. A friend took one of my pictures and made it into a big picture and gave it to me as a birthday or Christmas gift. Looking at the lights of Paris at night from the Eiffel Tower was a very nice experience.
> You can download the same picture from the internet. I will print it for you on a wide format printer for you. On wall paper if you like.

Apparently the bookkeeper thinks that wonders of nature are belittled by a painting by someone like Picasso. Maybe he should pay the $750,000 per painting that Hunter Biden is asking.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: France and an old Roman Road House