"A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears." -- The League of Sadistic Telepaths

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Campy 10 and 11 speed groups

SubjectAuthor
* Campy 10 and 11 speed groupsTom Kunich
+- Re: Campy 10 and 11 speed groupsLou Holtman
`- Re: Campy 10 and 11 speed groupsAMuzi

1
Campy 10 and 11 speed groups

<21ec3089-22c4-4eea-a559-adb753a65659n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46382&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46382

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 10:13:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Campy 10 and 11 speed groups
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 18:13 UTC

The shifting of the 11 speed groups is so much superior to the 10 speed groups - even the Centaur 10 speed that offers far better shifting than the Record 10 speed shifters, that there is little contest.

Having a 32 instead of a 28 doesn't much matter in my mind since if I wanted I could always put a Centaur 30 tooth 10 speed cassette on, and I usually only climb in the 30 now since the front derailleur is so difficult to set to not rattle, across the entire cog-set so I would rather have the 11 tooth available for short descents in the small ring rather than a noiseless 32 and the 11 tooth rattling. The one advantage of the earlier Record shifters was that the front shifter was essentially a friction shifter with many click positions. This allowed you to set the gear set to be quiet anywhere within the range. That went away with two or three positions for the front shifter. The Centaur only has three positions and they are, weirdly enough - two small rings and one large. Though I have managed to make it soundless in high gear across the range and low gear only for the 32 rattling. One could have hoped for a more troublefree set-up procedure for the shifters since DuraAce doesn't suffer from this fault, but then Campy is so much more intuitive and you don't have to always think which lever you're supposed to use to shift which way.

Re: Campy 10 and 11 speed groups

<2884b29b-ee6a-4f0b-9f1d-ff7d6566e252n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46387&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46387

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 11:35:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Campy 10 and 11 speed groups
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 19:35 UTC

On Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 7:13:43 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> The shifting of the 11 speed groups is so much superior to the 10 speed groups - even the Centaur 10 speed that offers far better shifting than the Record 10 speed shifters, that there is little contest.
>
> Having a 32 instead of a 28 doesn't much matter in my mind since if I wanted I could always put a Centaur 30 tooth 10 speed cassette on, and I usually only climb in the 30 now since the front derailleur is so difficult to set to not rattle, across the entire cog-set so I would rather have the 11 tooth available for short descents in the small ring rather than a noiseless 32 and the 11 tooth rattling. The one advantage of the earlier Record shifters was that the front shifter was essentially a friction shifter with many click positions. This allowed you to set the gear set to be quiet anywhere within the range. That went away with two or three positions for the front shifter. The Centaur only has three positions and they are, weirdly enough - two small rings and one large. Though I have managed to make it soundless in high gear across the range and low gear only for the 32 rattling. One could have hoped for a more troublefree set-up procedure for the shifters since DuraAce doesn't suffer from this fault, but then Campy is so much more intuitive and you don't have to always think which lever you're supposed to use to shift which way.

Never noticed that much difference between Campy 10 sp (Chorus and Record) and 11 sp (Super Record). Not in shifting performance not in setup. Beside my 11 sp Super Record bike I still maintain and test ride my brothers Campy 10 sp bikes.

Lou

Re: Campy 10 and 11 speed groups

<sn3men$5dr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46389&group=rec.bicycles.tech#46389

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 13:50:46 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 19:50 UTC

On 11/17/2021 12:13 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> The shifting of the 11 speed groups is so much superior to the 10 speed groups - even the Centaur 10 speed that offers far better shifting than the Record 10 speed shifters, that there is little contest.
>
> Having a 32 instead of a 28 doesn't much matter in my mind since if I wanted I could always put a Centaur 30 tooth 10 speed cassette on, and I usually only climb in the 30 now since the front derailleur is so difficult to set to not rattle, across the entire cog-set so I would rather have the 11 tooth available for short descents in the small ring rather than a noiseless 32 and the 11 tooth rattling. The one advantage of the earlier Record shifters was that the front shifter was essentially a friction shifter with many click positions. This allowed you to set the gear set to be quiet anywhere within the range. That went away with two or three positions for the front shifter. The Centaur only has three positions and they are, weirdly enough - two small rings and one large. Though I have managed to make it soundless in high gear across the range and low gear only for the 32 rattling. One could have hoped for a more troublefree set-up procedure for the shifters since DuraAce doesn't
suffer from this fault, but then Campy is so much more intuitive and you don't have to always think which lever you're supposed to use to shift which way.

Yes, prior to 2006, Ergo front shifters worked equally well
with any front changer; classic or modern, any brand. Your
11 front shifter needs a compatible front changer to shift
smartly without drag. Either incompatible changer or not
following directions in setup will give symptoms as
described above.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Campy 10 and 11 speed groups