Your fault -- core dumped

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

SubjectAuthor
* pock mark in cast iron skilletCydrome Leader
`* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletRandy333
 `* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletCydrome Leader
  +* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletDavid Billington
  |`* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletCydrome Leader
  | `- Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletJim Wilkins
  +- Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletgray_wolf
  +- Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletJoe Gwinn
  `* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletRandy333
   `* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletCydrome Leader
    +- Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletCharlie+
    +- Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletRandy333
    `* Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletbruce bowser
     `- Re: pock mark in cast iron skilletCydrome Leader

1
pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s4bgvd$col$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4419&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4419

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: pock mark in cast iron skillet
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57 UTC

Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
takes as while to get all the dust off.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<cjrd7gdmmru243d9u27ibdsr0kd9ol3c8v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4445&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4445

From: rbraun...@enter.net (Randy333)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 09:33:18 -0400
 by: Randy333 - Wed, 14 Apr 2021 13:33 UTC

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
>1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
>about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
>it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
>torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
>cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
>takes as while to get all the dust off.

Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s650eo$pbh$3@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4475&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4475

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11 UTC

Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>
>>Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
>>1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
>>about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
>>it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
>>torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
>>cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
>>takes as while to get all the dust off.
>>

> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.

What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
also has a fairly low melting temp as well.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s651e8$7ba$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4476&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4476

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 01:27:51 +0100
 by: David Billington - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:27 UTC

On 26/04/2021 01:11, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
>> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
>>> 1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
>>> about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
>>> it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
>>> torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
>>> cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
>>> takes as while to get all the dust off.
>>>
>> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.
> What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
> oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
> also has a fairly low melting temp as well.

Having looked up information on silver soldering cast iron in the past
it was suggested that the surface needed to be heated to a high
temperature to burn off the carbon at the surface or the silver solder
wouldn't stick. That would likely make your repair impractical.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<huqhI.116118$Qf2.109217@fx38.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4478&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4478

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: g_w...@howling_mad.com (gray_wolf)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 22:31:25 -0500
 by: gray_wolf - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 03:31 UTC

On 25/04/2021 7:11 pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
>> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
>>> 1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
>>> about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
>>> it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
>>> torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
>>> cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
>>> takes as while to get all the dust off.
>>>

>> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.
>
> What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
> oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
> also has a fairly low melting temp as well.

JB weld?

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s65k76$f57$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4479&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4479

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 05:48:23 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 05:48 UTC

David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 26/04/2021 01:11, Cydrome Leader wrote:
>> Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:

>>> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.
>> What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
>> oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
>> also has a fairly low melting temp as well.
>
> Having looked up information on silver soldering cast iron in the past
> it was suggested that the surface needed to be heated to a high
> temperature to burn off the carbon at the surface or the silver solder
> wouldn't stick. That would likely make your repair impractical.

I can use any amount of heat, up to the melting point of the cast iron
itself. I can drill out the pock mark to a full hole, it really doesn't
matter. The thing is from the trash. The only brazing rod I have had some
haz-mat fees included in the purchase, so I will not use it near food.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s66per$3fg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4481&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4481

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 12:23:49 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:23 UTC

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message news:s65k76$f57$1@reader1.panix.com...

I can use any amount of heat, up to the melting point of the cast iron
itself. I can drill out the pock mark to a full hole, it really doesn't
matter. The thing is from the trash. The only brazing rod I have had some
haz-mat fees included in the purchase, so I will not use it near food.

-------------------------------------

If you don't mind drilling and countersinking and are skilled with a ball
peen hammer you could plug the hole with a rivet.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<v6he8g1ns9sot10kcj0fc4vin5h3u5j5bd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4482&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4482

From: joegw...@comcast.net (Joe Gwinn)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 18:57:23 -0400
 by: Joe Gwinn - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 22:57 UTC

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
>> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
>>>1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
>>>about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
>>>it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
>>>torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
>>>cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
>>>takes as while to get all the dust off.
>>>

>> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.
>
>What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
>oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
>also has a fairly low melting temp as well.

The traditional braze filler or cast iron is nickel. This is used to
repair cast-iron machinery parts, so google for advice on how to dpi
that.

Joe Gwinn

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<r2s79ghp0djnsfkun2kehaav6dj9v56n27@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4498&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4498

From: rbraun...@enter.net (Randy333)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 09:46:43 -0400
 by: Randy333 - Thu, 6 May 2021 13:46 UTC

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
>> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
>>>1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
>>>about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
>>>it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
>>>torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
>>>cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
>>>takes as while to get all the dust off.
>>>

>> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.
>
>What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
>oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
>also has a fairly low melting temp as well.

Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
there.

Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
you need the work peice red hot.

99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
TIG or stick welding.

Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium

Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
flux to braze.

I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.

Randy

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s71mlq$eae$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4499&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4499

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 21:22:02 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Thu, 6 May 2021 21:22 UTC

Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:
>
>>Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:

>>> Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.
>>
>>What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
>>oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
>>also has a fairly low melting temp as well.
>

> Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
> 2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
> can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
> there.

This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
doesn't say.
> Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
> you need the work peice red hot.

Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?

> 99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
> TIG or stick welding.
>
> Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
> It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium

$50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?

> Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
> flux to braze.
>
> I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
> It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
> store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.

Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<79l99gt3m39u8oivdgrhce5l9njcj6atkg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4500&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4500

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 07:12:42 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Fri, 7 May 2021 06:12 UTC

On Thu, 6 May 2021 21:22:02 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote as underneath :

snip

>This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
>what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
>some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
>doesn't say.

Thats still soft solder not silver solder (hard solder) - the other
ingredients are probably Sn 94.5%, Cu 0.5%.
In your application I would probably rout out the hole walls to slight
negative angle with a ball diamond burr then just bang in some nickel
with hammer and punch, dress it flat, done properly that would last you
for ever! C+

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<v43l9ghh834sdq4dm6e7gopc8mt68al932@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4501&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4501

From: rbraun...@enter.net (Randy333)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 09:58:37 -0400
 by: Randy333 - Tue, 11 May 2021 13:58 UTC

On Thu, 6 May 2021 21:22:02 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Randy333 <rbraun333@enter.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
>> <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>>>What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
>>>oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
>>>also has a fairly low melting temp as well.
>>

>> Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
>> 2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
>> can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
>> there.
>
>This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
>what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
>some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
>doesn't say.
>
>> Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
>> you need the work peice red hot.
>
>Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?

I have some flat brazing rods for HVAC work that do not need any flux
on copper. The Silver stuff I have is round.

>> 99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
>> TIG or stick welding.
>>
>> Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
>> It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium
>
>$50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?

Depends on how good you are with flux and a torch. Pricey, yes. but
you don't need much. A 1 OZ roll lasts me awhile.

>> Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
>> flux to braze.
>>
>> I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
>> It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
>> store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.
>
>Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
>state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.
Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<97b7c87b-0aeb-4910-9e28-3d3b1b91a3dfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4503&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4503

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 14:44:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Tue, 11 May 2021 21:44 UTC

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 5:22:06 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Randy333 <rbra...@enter.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
> > <pres...@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

> >>What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
> >>oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
> >>also has a fairly low melting temp as well.
> >

> > Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
> > 2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
> > can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
> > there.
> This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
> what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
> some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
> doesn't say.
> > Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
> > you need the work peice red hot.
> Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?
> > 99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
> > TIG or stick welding.
> >
> > Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
> > It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium
> $50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?
> > Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
> > flux to braze.
> >
> > I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
> > It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
> > store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.
> Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
> state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.

$ 180 bucks or so can get you an Oxy-Acetylene torch. I don't know if its used or not.

Re: pock mark in cast iron skillet

<s9b4rf$3kf$2@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4640&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4640

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:51:43 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 17:51 UTC

bruce bowser <bruce2bowser@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 5:22:06 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:
>> Randy333 <rbra...@enter.net> wrote:

>> > Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
>> > 2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
>> > can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
>> > there.
>> This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
>> what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
>> some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
>> doesn't say.
>> > Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
>> > you need the work peice red hot.
>> Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?
>> > 99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
>> > TIG or stick welding.
>> >
>> > Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
>> > It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium
>> $50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?
>> > Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
>> > flux to braze.
>> >
>> > I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
>> > It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
>> > store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.
>> Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
>> state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.
>
> $ 180 bucks or so can get you an Oxy-Acetylene torch. I don't know if its used or not.

My first full size oxy-acetylene torch was $2 at a garage sale. It's
Crasftman branded buy probably from victor. It had the cutting attachment
and one normal torch head. Didn't even need new gaskets. Did get a new
cutting attachment nozzle, so that was like $17.

I'm guessing the seller just wanted a home for it. I like that it has a
patina already and doesn't make your hands smell like shit.