MESSAGE ACKNOWLEDGED -- The Pershing II missiles have been launched.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Open source Android question

SubjectAuthor
* Open source Android questionT
+* Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz
|`* Re: Open source Android questionT
| +* Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
| |`* Re: Open source Android questionAJL
| | `* Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
| |  `* Re: Open source Android questionAJL
| |   `* Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
| |    `* Re: Open source Android questionThe Real Bev
| |     `- Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
| `* Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz
|  `* Re: Open source Android questionT
|   +* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|   |`* Re: Open source Android questionT
|   | `* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|   |  +- Re: Open source Android questionT
|   |  `- Re: Open source Android questionT
|   +* Re: Open source Android questionDave Roya
|   |+- Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz
|   |+- Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz
|   |+* Re: Open source Android questionT
|   ||`* Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
|   || `* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|   ||  `* Re: Open source Android questionStan Brown
|   ||   `* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|   ||    `- Re: Open source Android questionStan Brown
|   |+* Re: Open source Android questionT
|   ||`* Re: Open source Android questionStan Brown
|   || +* Re: Open source Android questioncandycanearter07
|   || |`* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|   || | `* Re: Open source Android questioncandycanearter07
|   || |  `- Re: Open source Android questionAJL
|   || `* Re: Open source Android questionT
|   ||  +- Re: Open source Android questionAJL
|   ||  `- Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz
|   |`* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|   | `- Re: Open source Android questioncandycanearter07
|   `- Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
+* Re: Open source Android questionT
|+- Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz
|+- Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|`* Re: Open source Android questionT
| `* Re: Open source Android questionFrank Slootweg
|  `- Re: Open source Android questionAJL
+* Re: Open source Android questionArno Welzel
|+- Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|`* Re: Open source Android questionT
| `- Re: Open source Android questionArno Welzel
+* Re: Open source Android questionStan Brown
|+* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
||`* Re: Open source Android questionStan Brown
|| `- Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|`* Re: Open source Android questionT
| `* Re: Open source Android questionWally J
|  `* Re: Open source Android questionTheo
|   `- Re: Open source Android questionWally J
`* Re: Open source Android questionT
 `- Re: Open source Android questionJörg Lorenz

Pages:123
Re: Open source Android question

<uhpof5$nmt2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46475&group=comp.mobile.android#46475

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Open source Android question
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 02:23:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 02:23 UTC

On 10/30/23 7:09 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>On 10/30/23 14:00, Wally J wrote:
>> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote
>>
>>> Judging by the headers, they're posting from Eternal September. It's
>>> been having an issue where it doesn't return a confirmation message or
>>> something.
>>
>> I have to agree that Eternal September has been doing that to me recently.
>>
>> There isn't anything I can do on my side as I already changed the response
>> period to a couple of minutes and it still "says" it failed even then.
>
>In e-s.support, Ray said that it had something to do with the spam
>filter and should be fixed soon.

My newsreader app (PhoNews) usually confirms message (to E-T) sent. It
hasn't been doing that recently but the message WAS sent. I thought the
problem was on my end but maybe not??

Re: Open source Android question

<uhqfes$utpc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46476&group=comp.mobile.android#46476

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 09:55:56 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 08:55 UTC

On 31.10.23 02:06, T wrote:
> On 10/30/23 07:13, Stan Brown wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 03:05:22 -0700, T wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10/30/23 01:09, Dave Royal wrote:
>>
>> You seem to be double-posting fairly often, though not
>> every article. If i's a matter of not seeing your
>> article in the newsgroup and assuming it didn't go
>> through, please wait a little longer before making that
>> assumption and reposting. Thanks!
>>

> Waited two hours or more for THunderbird-115 (new
> but not improved) to finish compiling the message.
> I presumed it had crashed. 115 is bug city!

Bullshit! It is an E-S-issue. I'm affected as well and diverted to
Solani for englishspeaking groups.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Open source Android question

<MPG.3faaf27bec9e9ba099020b@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46481&group=comp.mobile.android#46481

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:16:52 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 19:16 UTC

On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 14:53:46 -0400, Wally J wrote:
> Also Stan Brown, moving from Pixel to Samsung, liked the phone dialer
> better on one than the other and was trying to switch one for the other.

s/was trying to switch/switched/
(as I reported at the time)

While Samsung's Phone app can't be uninstalled and can't even be
disabled, and the default use of Samsung's Contacts app can't be
changed, the phone's UI _does_ let me designate a different default
phone app. I installed and chose Google Phone, and in turn it let me
change the default Contacts app to Google Contacts, as I prefer.

Apart from the wasted storage of a couple of hundred contacts in
Samsung's Contacts app, I'm all fixed up.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Open source Android question

<uhs63b$1910r$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46483&group=comp.mobile.android#46483

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 17:28:27 -0700
 by: T - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 00:28 UTC

On 10/29/23 03:12, T wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My wife has her eye on this
>
> https://www.samsung.com/us/tablets/galaxy-tab-s9-fe/buy/
>
> I talked to the chat line.  I asked if the
> Android was the open source version of the Google
> version.  He said they were the same.  Am I missing
> something?
>
> I also asked if the preinstalled Google apps could be
> remove or just disabled.  He said just disabled.
> (Makes me wonder if there is any background spying
> that is hidden away preinstalled as well.)
>
> My wife is after Google Free (she hates being spied on).
>
> Is there a google free android out there?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

My wife decided against an iPad whtn she found she could
not run TOR and such on it. She also dos not like
the extra gestures.

I could not find who told me that -- I think it was
Wally -- to thank him. So thank you.

She found a Samsung app that runs a hearing test
to customer configure the sound for her. And she
likes the idea

Re: Open source Android question

<uhs95a$3l5a1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46484&group=comp.mobile.android#46484

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 21:20:42 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 01:20 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote

> While Samsung's Phone app can't be uninstalled

I made these for you Stan, just now, to illustrate what I say.
<https://i.postimg.cc/vTqrBMpR/dialer01.jpg> com.samsung.android.dialer
<https://i.postimg.cc/brN0pdVH/dialer02.jpg> easily create shortcuts
<https://i.postimg.cc/X71LNcbZ/dialer03.jpg> easily open contacts at will
<https://i.postimg.cc/W3V6Y5My/dialer04.jpg> test the contacts shortcut
<https://i.postimg.cc/mk594jHB/dialer05.jpg> same with the dialer activity
<https://i.postimg.cc/7PVXdrtn/dialer06.jpg> add a dialer shortcut
<https://i.postimg.cc/85TMmjGQ/dialer07.jpg> you can even add searches
<https://i.postimg.cc/MpcDnM69/dialer08.jpg> but you only get 1 default

Hi Stan,

This is such a difficult response because I know you're a smart
guy and I know you just want it to work; so I need to be gentle
with you on this as I think it's "possible" everything you want.

Just not the exact way you were hoping it to be (see below).

Below I gently correct four out of your five statements, all of
which I've done but I haven't tried to switch to Google contacts
(and, if you know me, you'll be gentle with me that I don't).

If you don't believe me, maybe Andy Burns can concur if he sees
this as Andy, I'm sure, understand everything I will say below.

> While Samsung's Phone app can't be uninstalled and can't even be
> disabled,

(1) It can be uninstalled for the user for free if you're willing to
use the adb command line (either local adb or adb on a computer).
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.dialer

Same with disabling it.
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.dialer

Since adb runs locally on the Android phone (e.g., ladb), most of
these disablers/uninstallers are a nice GUI wrapped around that CLI.

If you search on XDA Developers, you'll find _many_ graphical non-root
uninstallers, in fact, but the one that comes up most isn't free.
<https://www.packagedisabler.com>

> and the default use of Samsung's Contacts app can't be changed,

(2) This is maybe true but maybe not true, as the good news is there is
a public activity which you can easily access to bring it up (AFAICT).

What I did took only seconds, where I looked at all the Activities
inside com.samsung.android.dialer on my Android 13 Galaxy A32-5G.

One of those Activities is this shortcut, which I just now created
in two seconds and put on my desktop to bring up contacts directly.

When I tested it, it brought up exactly what it should have done.
com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.detail.calllog.CallLogDetailActivity

cmd activity start --user 0 -a android.intent.action.VIEW -n com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.detail.calllog.CallLogDetailActivity -f 0 com.samsung.android.dialer
URI intent:#Intent;package=com.samsung.android.dialer;component=com.samsung.android.dialer/.detail.calllog.CallLogDetailActivity;end
VERSION 1
ACTION android.intent.action.VIEW
COMPONENT com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.detail.calllog.CallLogDetailActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.android.dialer
MATCHING ACTIVITIES 1
LABEL Contact details
NAME com.samsung.android.dialer.detail.calllog.CallLogDetailActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.android.dialer

> the phone's UI _does_ let me designate a different default phone app.

(3) There is _another_ public activity which brings up the dialer.

cmd activity start --user 0 -a android.intent.action.VIEW -n com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.DialtactsActivity -f 0 com.samsung.android.dialer
URI intent:#Intent;package=com.samsung.android.dialer;component=com.samsung.android.dialer/.DialtactsActivity;end

VERSION 1
ACTION android.intent.action.VIEW
COMPONENT com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.DialtactsActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.android.dialer

MATCHING ACTIVITIES 1
LABEL Phone
NAME com.samsung.android.dialer.DialtactsActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.android.dialer

There is also an "Integrated Search Activity" for contacts
which will bring up a search within contacts on demand.

cmd activity start --user 0 -a android.intent.action.VIEW -n com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.search.activity.IntegratedSearchActivity -f 0 com.samsung.android.dialer
URI intent:#Intent;package=com.samsung.android.dialer;component=com.samsung.android.dialer/.search.activity.IntegratedSearchActivity;end

VERSION 1
ACTION android.intent.action.VIEW
COMPONENT com.samsung.android.dialer/com.samsung.android.dialer.search.activity.IntegratedSearchActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.android.dialer

MATCHING ACTIVITIES 1
LABEL Phone
NAME com.samsung.android.dialer.search.activity.IntegratedSearchActivity
PACKAGE com.samsung.android.dialer

> I installed and chose Google Phone, and in turn it let me
> change the default Contacts app to Google Contacts, as I prefer.

(4) This statement is true that you can only have one default.
You can change the default all you want - but only 1 at a time.

Way back when, I seem to recall that there used to be both
a defaults dialer and a defaults contact setting in Android.

But my Android 13 Samsung Galaxy A32-5G has defaults for
Browser app
Call redirecting app
Caller ID & spam app
Digital assistant app
Home app
Phone app
SMS app

And, based on what I have installed, my "Phone app" defaults are
Dialer
euroconsumers
Phone
RF Mobile Trace

> Apart from the wasted storage of a couple of hundred contacts in
> Samsung's Contacts app, I'm all fixed up.

(5) I think that's just super dead wrong, Stan, and I wish you were
correct - because I hate the fact Android has only 1 contacts db.

The Android contacts are stored in an sqlite database, which
we've discussed very many times on this newsgroup over the years.

In fact, I poison my contacts sqlite database, using this app.
*Fake Contacts*
Create fake phone contacts, that will be stored on your phone
masquerading as your real contacts. The idea is to feed fake data
to any apps or companies who are copying our private data to use
or sell it. This is called data-poisoning.
<https://f-droid.org/packages/me.billdietrich.fake_contacts/>
<https://github.com/BillDietrich/fake_contacts>
<https://archive.org/details/github.com-BillDietrich-fake_contacts_-_2021-01-31_19-04-27>
<https://apt.izzysoft.de/fdroid/index/apk/me.billdietrich.fake_contacts?repo=main>

And then I use only messaging/contacts/dialer apps which can import/export
my personal contacts db (which is kept as a VCARD vcf & not as sqlite).

This app saves contacts in its own database separate from default
android contacts. This way no other app would be able to access
your real contacts. It can even be used in place of your default
phone (aka dialer) app. We can export/import contacts from Android
contacts app into this app. Maintains call log as well with the
name of the contact & shows the contact name when receiving calls.
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts/>
<https://github.com/sultanahamer/OpenContacts> (old github)
<https://gitlab.com/sultanahamer/OpenContacts> (new gitlab)

In summary, you don't have to believe a word I've said above,
especially as I agree that what I think you want to do isn't
just a switch that you set inside of the phone dialer settings.

But... you do need to make sure that you caveat your statements,
since you _can_ disable & delete _any_ app on Android for the user
(which is effectively an uninstallation as far as I can tell).

If it's not effectively uninstalled, you'll need to make an logical
argument as to why you feel the app isn't uninstalled for all intents
and purposes of the user (since we're not talking rooted devices).

Also, I will summarize that it took far longer for me to write
this up than it took for me to create the following shortcuts
a. Contacts (This shortcut brings up the samsung contacts.)
a. Dialer (This shortcut brings up the samsung dialer.)

Those shortcuts took only seconds to create from the Samsung
phone app (com.samsung.android.dialer), which you could do,
for example, with the Google phone app (I would think).

Anyway, the trick would be to "modify" one to call the other,
where the way I'd first approach that is I'd clone the app.
<https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-clonemyapp-android-apk-cloner.4513777/>
<https://clonemy.app/>

And then I'd modify it on Windows & re-install it to Android.
But I've never done that - although it seems possible to do.
<https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-apk-editor-studio-free-apk-reverse-engineering-tool.3972529/>

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Open source Android question

<uhssl9$v5o0$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46486&group=comp.mobile.android#46486

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 07:53:29 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 06:53 UTC

Am 01.11.23 um 01:28 schrieb T:
> My wife decided against an iPad whtn she found she could
> not run TOR and such on it. She also dos not like
> the extra gestures.
>
> I could not find who told me that -- I think it was
> Wally -- to thank him. So thank you.
>
> She found a Samsung app that runs a hearing test
> to customer configure the sound for her. And she
> likes the idea

What about "Open Source"?
Samsung? Not really?

But your wife is happy and that's what counts.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Open source Android question

<kqee5pFn45qU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46490&group=comp.mobile.android#46490

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:48:09 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 07:48 UTC

T, 2023-10-30 02:23:

> On 10/29/23 07:28, Arno Welzel wrote:
>> But it is only available or a limited number of devices and only
>> preinstalled on devices by Murena.
>

> I am only seeing phone on their web site, no tablets.
> I could have missed them

There is no tablet by Murena.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Open source Android question

<MPG.3fabacbac02a5fac99020d@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46493&group=comp.mobile.android#46493

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 01:31:29 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:31 UTC

On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 21:20:42 -0400, Wally J wrote:
> (5) I think that's just super dead wrong, Stan, and I wish you were
> correct - because I hate the fact Android has only 1 contacts db.

Android may, I don't know. But on my phone (Samsung
Galaxy A54, Android 13) between Samsung's app and
Google's app there are different databases. I know this
because:

a) Shortly after importing, I changed a phone number in
a contact in Google's app, and the change was not
picked up in Samsung's app.

b) Google's app offered to merge the two contacts
lists. BTW, when I accepted it sometimes used its
version (synched from my old phone), sometimes used
Samsung's version, and sometimes used both. I spent a
morning cleaning up that mess.

c) I changed a phone number in Google's app, and
Samsung's app still showed the old number.