From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:02:02 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:02 UTC

Hi all
I always thought of the political slagging matches on here - the
"off-topic" posts - were a nuisance - "signal" on the group being less
than 1/100th part of the "noise" - even though what "signal" there was
was high quality.
Wondered how long the newsgroup could keep going.
Now the feed I am getting from r.c.m. has gone quiet.
Surely Americans haven't suddenly started accepting anyone who isn't
identical to themselves????????????? With caveat "And God makes me
right"...
Oh well, strange times.

For anyone interested in technical questions - can anyone identify /
tell me about this fatigue-testing machine?

It's at the University of Ibague in Columbia (the nation in South
America), and the results they get certainly look both right and good.

(PDF download)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322292485_Weld_Magnification_Factor_Approach_in_Cruciform_Joints_Considering_Post_Welding_Cooling_Medium_and_Weld_Size
(online)

seen as "Figure 3" in both versions - PDF download and online

They list things like "pulley sizes" and so on - it's some kind of
purely mechanical device (?)
Completely unfamiliar to me.
I'm interested, because they are doing a lot for not a lot.

(Article:
"Weld Magnification Factor Approach in Cruciform Joints Considering
Post Welding Cooling Medium and Weld Size"
Oscar Araque and Nelson Arzola)

Best wishes,
Rich Smith

Re: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

<sa7dto$4fu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4647&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4647

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 07:18:09 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:18 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lypmwphqtx.fsf@richards-air-2.home...

The only thing I can add is that these allow you to measure and record (on a
PC) temperature up to 1260C.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP4000ZC-Interfaced-Multimeter-Computer/dp/B000OPDFLM

Wood stove gasket cement tames the extreme tendency of high temperature
braided fiber insulation to unravel. 24 gauge is less annoyingly springy
than larger sizes and adequate for brief experiments. If it burns out it can
easily be renewed by cutting shorter and welding the ends together with
acetylene.

I have no experience with strain gages, and my only professional experience
with tensile strength testing was an after-school job in the lab of a
leather factory. They were trying to find synthetic substitutes for
industrial leather products, which was surprisingly difficult.

Re: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

<sadetq$1u99$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4648&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4648

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:12:11 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 18:12 UTC

On 6/14/2021 12:02 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi all
> I always thought of the political slagging matches on here - the
> "off-topic" posts - were a nuisance - "signal" on the group being less
> than 1/100th part of the "noise" - even though what "signal" there was
> was high quality.
> Wondered how long the newsgroup could keep going.
> Now the feed I am getting from r.c.m. has gone quiet.
> Surely Americans haven't suddenly started accepting anyone who isn't
> identical to themselves????????????? With caveat "And God makes me
> right"...
> Oh well, strange times.
>

> For anyone interested in technical questions - can anyone identify /
> tell me about this fatigue-testing machine?
>
> It's at the University of Ibague in Columbia (the nation in South
> America), and the results they get certainly look both right and good.
>
> (PDF download)
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322292485_Weld_Magnification_Factor_Approach_in_Cruciform_Joints_Considering_Post_Welding_Cooling_Medium_and_Weld_Size
> (online)
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793579/
>
> seen as "Figure 3" in both versions - PDF download and online
>
> They list things like "pulley sizes" and so on - it's some kind of
> purely mechanical device (?)
> Completely unfamiliar to me.
> I'm interested, because they are doing a lot for not a lot.
>
> (Article:
> "Weld Magnification Factor Approach in Cruciform Joints Considering
> Post Welding Cooling Medium and Weld Size"
> Oscar Araque and Nelson Arzola)
>
> Best wishes,
> Rich Smith

I suspect many of the trolls have fallen off due to the lack of
reaction. I personally only read this group for metal working content.
Any threads that I'm not interested in now get the "k"ill key. I
don't see them or any of the ongoing combative replies afterwards.

Now, this is a great opportunity to insult my ancestry, intelligence and
manner of dress as this thread will very likely get kill keyed in short
order.

https://www.avg.com

Re: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

<ly8s39yn3c.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4649&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4649

From: nul...@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 08:19:51 +0100
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 07:19 UTC

I was in many ways being facetious.
I have a "k" key action on my newsreader.
Like seeing your posts.
Rich S

Re: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

<sag4tb$kkg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4652&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4652

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 11:39:42 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 18:39 UTC

On 6/17/2021 12:19 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> I was in many ways being facetious.
> I have a "k" key action on my newsreader.
> Like seeing your posts.
> Rich S

Aaah! I was half expecting to told I was ugly and my mother dresses me
funny. (I picked these clothes myself.)

https://www.avg.com

Re: where's all the political slagging-match gone?!

<sagf91$u27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4654&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4654

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 17:36:25 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 21:36 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sag4tb$kkg$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On 6/17/2021 12:19 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> I was in many ways being facetious.
> I have a "k" key action on my newsreader.
> Like seeing your posts.
> Rich S

Aaah! I was half expecting to told I was ugly and my mother dresses me
funny. (I picked these clothes myself.)

As for the ancestors:

http://www.macroevolution.net/human-origins.html