Though I'll admit readability suffers slightly... -- Larry Wall in <2969@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / New User - Dalton T-L No 292

SubjectAuthor
* New User - Dalton T-L No 292gparment
+- Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292Bob Engelhardt
+* Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292Leon Fisk
|`- Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292Jim Wilkins
`- Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292Bob La Londe

1
New User - Dalton T-L No 292

<168ac93dd1aae500$1$1249989$4296da03@news.newsgroupdirect.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4685&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4685

Followup: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: New User - Dalton T-L No 292
From: 0f850390...@example.com (gparment)
Sender: gparment <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2762@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 03:18:02 +0000
 by: gparment - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 03:18 UTC

Hello - I own a Dalton T-L. The stamped letters and numbers on the right end
of the rear way appear to be T-L NO 202 or 292. I am hoping to share
information and learn from the discussions here. I inherited this lathe from
my father who bought it from a local machinist sometime before I was born in
1946. It still runs and is used occasionally by myself for small projects but
needs some repair and cleaning. My first attempt to do repair work to it has
been to change the drive belt which quickly taught me that I knew next to
nothing because I can't even figure out how to remove the old belt (short of
cutting it apart) or how I would install a new one. The old belt is a V belt
rather than a flat belt. It has drive pulleys made for V belts so I'm guessing
the original pulleys (for flat belts) were replaced? Or did some of the
Dalton T-L's use V drive belts?
Thank you for allowing me to join your group.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/new-user-dalton-t-l-no-292-651960-.htm

Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292

<sasmd90207l@news2.newsguy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4686&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4686

From: BobEngel...@comcast.net (Bob Engelhardt)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 08:51:52 -0400
 by: Bob Engelhardt - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:51 UTC

On 6/21/2021 11:18 PM, gparment wrote:
> Hello - I own a Dalton T-L. ...

You will be much better off posting on a web site forum, such as
https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum/general

RCM was once go-to for machining, but it has lost its glory, sadly.

Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292

<sasn0l$2jm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4687&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4687

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:02:13 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:02 UTC

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 03:18:02 +0000
gparment <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2762@example.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I can't even figure out how to remove the old belt (short of
>cutting it apart) or how I would install a new one. The old belt is a V belt
>rather than a flat belt. It has drive pulleys made for V belts so I'm guessing
>the original pulleys (for flat belts) were replaced? Or did some of the
>Dalton T-L's use V drive belts?

Some Lathes were real buggers, needing considerable disassembly for
belt replacement...

You can get adjustable length belts nowadays for not too much money and
may get you going again without all the extra work...

https://www.mcmaster.com/v-belts/twist-lock-adjustable-length-v-belting-8/

You may find some limited info on Dalton here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/index.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292

<sathkd$4p9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4688&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4688

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:36:33 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:36 UTC

On 6/21/2021 8:18 PM, gparment wrote:
> Hello - I own a Dalton T-L. The stamped letters and numbers on the right
> end
> of the rear way appear to be T-L NO 202 or 292. I am hoping to share
> information  and learn from the discussions here. I inherited this lathe
> from
> my father who bought it from a local machinist sometime before I was
> born in
> 1946. It still runs and is used occasionally by myself for small
> projects but
> needs some repair and cleaning. My first attempt to do repair work  to
> it has
> been to change the drive belt which quickly taught me that I knew next to
> nothing because I can't even figure out how to remove the old belt
> (short of
> cutting it apart) or how I would install a new one. The old belt is a V
> belt
> rather than a flat belt. It has drive pulleys made for V belts so I'm
> guessing
> the original pulleys (for flat belts) were replaced? Or did some  of the
> Dalton T-L's use V drive belts?
> Thank you for allowing me to join your group.

Sorry, don't know a darn thing about Dalton Lathes, but if the existing
belt is really bad, and you need to get going right away a link belt
might get you by. I've had mixed results with link belts myself, but
they always work for a while.

https://www.avg.com

Re: New User - Dalton T-L No 292

<satvps$nia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4689&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4689

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 20:38:12 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 23 Jun 2021 00:38 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:sasn0l$2jm$1@dont-email.me...

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 03:18:02 +0000
gparment <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2762@example.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I can't even figure out how to remove the old belt (short of
>cutting it apart) or how I would install a new one. The old belt is a V
>belt
>rather than a flat belt. It has drive pulleys made for V belts so I'm
>guessing
>the original pulleys (for flat belts) were replaced? Or did some of the
>Dalton T-L's use V drive belts?

Some Lathes were real buggers, needing considerable disassembly for
belt replacement...

You can get adjustable length belts nowadays for not too much money and
may get you going again without all the extra work...

https://www.mcmaster.com/v-belts/twist-lock-adjustable-length-v-belting-8/

You may find some limited info on Dalton here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/dalton/index.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

After some digging:
https://groups.io/g/DaltonLathes

Although my South Bend lathe was made in 1965, the 1914 edition of "How to
Run a Lathe" describes nearly all of its features.