From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Really Stupid Question
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:04:17 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:04 UTC

At the risk of opening myself up to massive ridicule.

Does the "back gear" or low speed gear on your typical manual knee mill
turn in the reverse direction of the high speed gear? I've heard the
term back gear many times. Is that what it means?

I was just getting ready to try some chucked up power tapping on the new
South Bend 10x54 (SB1028F), and the spindle spun in reverse of the
direction indicated on the control panel in the lower gear. It spins
the direction indicated in the higher gear.

I've never owned a real full on full feature knee mill before. The
Hurco KMB1 doesn't count because it does what the VFD tells it to do.

I can write G-code for simple jobs at the control panel, but I don't
know all that much about this manual machine.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Really Stupid Question

<sb34fh$10qn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4698&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4698

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Really Stupid Question
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 16:28:52 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:28 UTC

On 6/24/2021 4:04 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> At the risk of opening myself up to massive ridicule.
>
> Does the "back gear" or low speed gear on your typical manual knee mill
> turn in the reverse direction of the high speed gear?  I've heard the
> term back gear many times.  Is that what it means?
>
> I was just getting ready to try some chucked up power tapping on the new
> South Bend 10x54 (SB1028F), and the spindle spun in reverse of the
> direction indicated on the control panel in the lower gear.  It spins
> the direction indicated in the higher gear.
>
> I've never owned a real full on full feature knee mill before.  The
> Hurco KMB1 doesn't count because it does what the VFD tells it to do.
>

> I can write G-code for simple jobs at the control panel, but I don't
> know all that much about this manual machine.

Ah-yup! Got it answered. Didn't know before.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Really Stupid Question

<sb3a4g$3ok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4699&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4699

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:05:13 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 25 Jun 2021 01:05 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sb331d$iie$1@gioia.aioe.org...

At the risk of opening myself up to massive ridicule...

Does the "back gear" or low speed gear on your typical manual knee mill
turn in the reverse direction of the high speed gear? I've heard the
term back gear many times. Is that what it means?

That 'feature' wasn't mentioned when I learned to run a Bridgeport.

On an old belt-driven South Bend lathe the gear shaft for low range is
located in back of the spindle, and I thought that term carried over to the
mill.