From: LDigh...@att.net (Larry Dighera)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: DHL Orders 12 Eviation Electric Cargo Planes
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 11:29:39 -0700
 by: Larry Dighera - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 18:29 UTC

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/dhl-orders-12-eviation-electric-cargo-planes

DHL Orders 12 Eviation Electric Cargo Planes
Russ NilesAugust 9, 20219

Following some interest from airlines in electric aircraft, cargo carrier
DHL has announced it has ordered 12 Eviation Alice electric cargo aircraft.
It’s the first order for the cargo version of the aircraft and DHL has big
plans. “We firmly believe in a future with zero-emission logistics,” John
Pearson, CEO of DHL Express, said in a news release. “We have found the
perfect partner with Eviation as they share our purpose, and together we
will take off into a new era of sustainable aviation.”

DHL says the Alice fleet will service short hop routes that are common in
its operations. It will be able to carry 2600 pounds of freight and go up to
440 miles on a charge. A recharge will take 30 minutes and will be done
during unloading and loading. DHL said the electric planes will fit
seamlessly into its fleet of piston and turbine planes that serve smaller
communities. DHL said the first aircraft will likely be used in California.

9 COMMENTS
Dan L August 9, 2021 at 9:37 am
I wish I’d taken some bets offered years ago against the chances of this
ever happening.

Log in to leave a comment
Jim Hughes August 9, 2021 at 2:00 pm
You can still make a bet. They haven’t flown the aircraft yet….they’re still
designing/ building the prototype.!

Log in to leave a comment
Arthur J Foyt August 9, 2021 at 10:12 am
Well, it’s certainly not an optimal configuration for handling freight. How
soon can they get the plane certified?

Log in to leave a comment
Jim Hughes August 9, 2021 at 11:37 am
With two 650 kw motors that may run in cruise at 50% power, that’s still
650kw for 2 hours, 1,300 kWhrs of battery. A Tesla 100 kWhr battery weighs
1.350 lbs, so the Alice battery can weigh 17,500 lb…!
I’ll wait to see it fly 400 nm in 2 hours.

Log in to leave a comment
John Mc August 9, 2021 at 12:03 pm
Actually, this is probably the ideal application for early electric
aircraft. Freight dog service is about as demanding as you can get, so this
will test both the power capacity and charging rate of the electric system,
as well as test the reliability of the propulsion system. If Alice can hack
it here, then short-haul passenger service should be quite possible.

Log in to leave a comment
Glen Partridge August 9, 2021 at 2:07 pm
I have an idea about all the activity in electric aircraft.

It’s like the brewing industry. Over the years, pretty much all the
breweries have been bought up by something like 5 multinational
conglomerates. They tend to make the same mass appeal product. In the last
few years, a new industry of craft brewers has begun to appear. The
justification? They claim to produce a more interesting, better tasting
beer. It is not that hard, or expensive, to set up a small brewery. Over
time, some will succeed in a modest way (as compared to the conglomerates),
many will fail, and others may grow enough to be acquired by one of the
conglomerates.

In the aircraft industry, we have two major players, Boeing and Airbus. Each
makes the same kinds of airliners. It is very expensive to try and come up
with a competing product, which would be pretty much the same as what Boeing
or Airbus makes, so what’s the point? Now, a new justification comes along:
“We must electrify to save the environment”. A bunch of small players start
up, because it isn’t that hard to design and build at least a prototype.
Over time, some may succeed in their niche market, many will fail, and if
anyone solves the secret of making a long range, workable electric airliner,
Boeing or Airbus will buy them.

Most of the rest of this is hype and PR. Companies want good PR, so claiming
you are doing something for the environment is believed to be good for
business, even if nothing really comes of it.

Log in to leave a comment
Anthony Dennis August 9, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Wow, what a bunch of Bull Stuff. 1.3 megawatt hours of power, at the
airport, on the ramp. yeah this will happen, NOT.

Log in to leave a comment
Jim Hughes August 9, 2021 at 6:54 pm
If they hook up 4 of the Tesla 250 kW Superchargers, they could recharge it
in 1.3 hours….maybe, if the transmission line can carry the 480 volts and
2,700 amps. ?

Log in to leave a comment
Mike H. August 9, 2021 at 5:11 pm
First cargo trip: Delivering depleted batteries to a charging center.
The return trip: Delivering depleted batteries to a charging center.

Log in to leave a comment
LEAVE A REPLY

https://www.eviation.co/aircraft/#Alice-Specifications

59 ft 1 in | 18 m

56 ft 1 in | 17.09 m
12 ft 7 in
3.84 m
Specifications
PERFORMANCE *
Cruise Speed: 220 ktas
Max Ceiling: 32,000 ft
Max Range: 440 NM
Landing Distance: 2,040 ft
Take-off Distance: 2,600 ft
Climb Rate: 2,000 ft/min
Take-off Field Length: 2,510 ft
BFL: (Dry, ISA, SL): 3,500 ft
Max Cruise Altitude: 32,000 ft
Typical Cruise Altitude: 10,000 ft
*Performance subject to change.

WEIGHTS
MTOW: 16,500 lbs
Payload (Commuter): 2,400 lbs
Payload (Freight): 2,500 lbs
POWER PLANT
Manufacturer: magniX Inc.
Model: magniX 650
Max Power

https://www.futureflight.aero/news-article/2021-06-18/magnix-expands-power-options-350-kw-and-650-kw-electric-propulsion-units

MagniX has expanded its family of electric propulsion units to include the
650-kW Magni650 model pictured here, as well as the 350-kW Magni350 and the
500-kW Magni500. (Image: MagniX)

MAGNIX EXPANDS POWER OPTIONS WITH 350 KW AND 650 KW ELECTRIC PROPULSION
UNITS

CHARLES ALCOCK
JUNE 18, 2021

MagniX this week unveiled two new members of its family of electric
propulsion units (EPUs) for aircraft. In addition to the Magni500 system,
the U.S. company is now offering the Magni350 and Magni650 EPUs.

With respective power ratings of 350 kW and 650 kW, these units offer
alternatives to the 500 kW Magni500, which has already been flown on
converted aircraft including a DHC-2 Beaver and a Cessna Grand Caravan.
MagniX is looking to market electrified versions of existing aircraft with
installations to be made under supplemental type certificates that it is in
the process of securing from the FAA.

The direct-drive, liquid-cooled EPUs operate at 2,300 rpm or less and at
altitudes of up to 30,000 feet in unpressurized environments. The EPUS can
drive propellers and other standard aircraft accessories.

According to MagniX, it is on track to complete certification of its EPUs,
which consist of a motor and batteries, under FAA Part 33 rules during 2022.
In addition to what it calls the eBeaver and eCaravan aircraft, the
Washington-based company is providing the propulsion system for the Alice
electric aircraft being developed by its sister company, Eviation Aircraft.

"Based on real-world design, build, and operational testing, we're making
incredible strides to push the aviation industry forward and accelerate the
rate at which aircraft become electric," commented MagniX CEO Roei Ganzarski
in the company's June 17 announcement. "The Magni350 and Magni650 EPUs
enable affordable, emission-free, and quieter flights to communities around
the world in the very near future."

https://magnix.aero

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/08/20210805-moseslake.html

CE+P to partner with the US Joint BioEnergy Institute on advanced biofuels
researchVolvo Cars chargeable models accounted for 25.5% of sales in July,
43% in Europe

Universal Hydrogen, magniX, Plug Power, and AeroTEC set up hydrogen aviation
center at Moses Lake, Washington

Universal Hydrogen, magniX, Plug Power and AeroTEC have established a
Hydrogen Aviation Test and Service Center at Grant County International
Airport in Moses Lake, Washington. The center will focus on the test flight
and certification of Universal Hydrogen’s retrofit conversion of a Dash-8
regional turboprop aircraft, scheduled for entry into commercial service in
2025. (Earlier post.).

Early adopters of the zero-carbon emission technology include Ravn Alaska,
Icelandair, and Spain’s Air Nostrum, which have entered into letters of
intent with Universal Hydrogen to convert their existing and future fleets
to a hydrogen powertrain, and for long-term hydrogen fuel supply contracts
using Universal Hydrogen’s modular capsule distribution network.

The hydrogen powertrain comprises electric propulsion units (EPUs) from
Everett-based magniX and fuel cells from Plug Power, which has a significant
operational footprint in Spokane, Washington. Seattle-based AeroTEC will
lead aircraft conversion, flight test, and certification activities, drawing
on its own extensive experience with electric aviation and expertise from
across the aerospace sector.

The conversion work for US-based airlines, flight test, as well as
continuing airworthiness support would be based in AeroTEC’s Moses Lake
facility.

AeroTEC’s Moses Lake facility has long been a favorite location for electric
aviation projects, having recently flown a battery-powered 9-passenger
Cessna 208B “eCaravan,” also powered by a magniX EPU.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: DHL Orders 12 Eviation Electric Cargo Planes

<3tsiuh-iq29.ln1@gonzo.specsol.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48&group=rec.aviation.piloting#48

From: jim...@gonzo.specsol.net (Jim Pennino)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Re: DHL Orders 12 Eviation Electric Cargo Planes
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:14:13 -0700
 by: Jim Pennino - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 19:14 UTC

Larry Dighera <LDighera@att.net> wrote:

> https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/dhl-orders-12-eviation-electric-cargo-planes
>
> DHL Orders 12 Eviation Electric Cargo Planes
> Russ NilesAugust 9, 20219
>
> Following some interest from airlines in electric aircraft, cargo carrier
> DHL has announced it has ordered 12 Eviation Alice electric cargo aircraft.
> It?s the first order for the cargo version of the aircraft and DHL has big
> plans. ?We firmly believe in a future with zero-emission logistics,? John
> Pearson, CEO of DHL Express, said in a news release. ?We have found the
> perfect partner with Eviation as they share our purpose, and together we
> will take off into a new era of sustainable aviation.?
>
> DHL says the Alice fleet will service short hop routes that are common in
> its operations. It will be able to carry 2600 pounds of freight and go up to
> 440 miles on a charge. A recharge will take 30 minutes and will be done
> during unloading and loading. DHL said the electric planes will fit
> seamlessly into its fleet of piston and turbine planes that serve smaller
> communities. DHL said the first aircraft will likely be used in California.

This assumes a few things:

That the airplane will ever get FAA certification and go into mass
production and not wind up like the Beech Starship, Adam A500, Symphony
SA-160, Mooney M22 and many, many more.

That DHL will be able to get the electricity in California to charge them.

I guess They could always use diesel generators...