From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Delete some texts from a conversation
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:51:29 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:51 UTC

With my old Moto e5+ phone, which I'm pretty sure used Google
Messages, I could open a conversation, long-press several texts one
at a time, then tap the Delete icon. That doesn't work with my
Samsung Galaxy A54, which I'm certain is using Google Messages. As
soon as I long-press a second text, the first one stops being
highlighted.

It took a couple of Google searches, so I want to share the solution,
in case anyone else is as clueless as I was: long-press one message,
then tap (NOT long-press) the additional messages one at a time, then
the Delete icon.

I don't know if this is a change in Samsung's UI, or a change in
Google Messages, but once I know the secret I like it better this
way.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Delete some texts from a conversation

<uiolcg.55g.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47056&group=comp.mobile.android#47056

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Delete some texts from a conversation
Date: 11 Nov 2023 18:41:15 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 18:41 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> With my old Moto e5+ phone, which I'm pretty sure used Google
> Messages, I could open a conversation, long-press several texts one
> at a time, then tap the Delete icon. That doesn't work with my
> Samsung Galaxy A54, which I'm certain is using Google Messages. As
> soon as I long-press a second text, the first one stops being
> highlighted.
>
> It took a couple of Google searches, so I want to share the solution,
> in case anyone else is as clueless as I was: long-press one message,
> then tap (NOT long-press) the additional messages one at a time, then
> the Delete icon.
>
> I don't know if this is a change in Samsung's UI, or a change in
> Google Messages, but once I know the secret I like it better this
> way.

I don't know either, but I think it's a change in Google Messages,
because the Samsung UI, at least for the Samsung Messages app, is
totally different:

Long-press on a message only opens a menu for that message (which
includes Delete, but that *does* a delete, not mark for delete).

To delete multiple messages you tap the trashcan in the upper right,
which then shows a tick-circle before all messages and you can
tick/untick messages and then tap the trashcan at the bottom.

HTH.

Re: Delete some texts from a conversation

<uiph6k$2pcec$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47088&group=comp.mobile.android#47088

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:35:49 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 03:35 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> With my old Moto e5+ phone, which I'm pretty sure used Google
>> Messages, I could open a conversation, long-press several texts one
>> at a time, then tap the Delete icon. That doesn't work with my
>> Samsung Galaxy A54, which I'm certain is using Google Messages. As
>> soon as I long-press a second text, the first one stops being
>> highlighted.
>>
>> It took a couple of Google searches, so I want to share the solution,
>> in case anyone else is as clueless as I was: long-press one message,
>> then tap (NOT long-press) the additional messages one at a time, then
>> the Delete icon.
>>
>> I don't know if this is a change in Samsung's UI, or a change in
>> Google Messages, but once I know the secret I like it better this
>> way.
>
> I don't know either, but I think it's a change in Google Messages,
> because the Samsung UI, at least for the Samsung Messages app, is
> totally different:
>
> Long-press on a message only opens a menu for that message (which
> includes Delete, but that *does* a delete, not mark for delete).
>
> To delete multiple messages you tap the trashcan in the upper right,
> which then shows a tick-circle before all messages and you can
> tick/untick messages and then tap the trashcan at the bottom.

I appreciate that Stan posted this to help others, which few people do.

The result will be that this thread archive can be useful to many others.
Not only now, but more importantly as a reference for future searchers.

With respect to Stan's issue, I had never tried to do what Stan is
attempting to do, which is to delete only some non-contiguous messages in
any given text conversation (AFAICT) - but it turns out the way PulseSMS
does it is _exactly_ as Stan has described that his messenger app does it.

To help out, I just tested that using my default PulseSMS SMS/MMS messenger
on my Android 13 Samsung Galaxy A32-5G which didn't do it the first way
that I had tried - but it ends up working exactly as Stan said his does.

STEP 1. Open a conversation and long tap on a message to select it
STEP 2. Then shorttap any other texts you want to add to the selection mix
STEP 3. When done, tap the trashcan icon (which shows up at the top)

As Stan likely experienced, if you only shorttap the 1st message, then you
don't get the selection field showing up at the top of the screen.

It's only when you see that selection field at the top of the screen that
you can add discontiguous text messages to the selection mix to delete.

BTW, long ago I had fully tested every known free adfree messenger on
Android and settled on PulseSMS (by the Klinker brothers) which was sold
(unfortunately) to Maple Media so I currently use the last known klinker
version 5.4.6.2816 (which has been working fine on many phones for years).

*Pulse SMS* (Phone/Tablet/Web) by Maple Media, In-app purchases
free, adfree, reqgsf, 4.7star,78.5K reviews,1M+Downloads
<https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger>
--
The whole point of Usenet is to reach out to others to help them, and to
learn from them and then to add to the group's tribal knowledge for others.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Delete some texts from a conversation