Subject: How to reset combination for a Mosler bank safe, installed in 1930 approximately
From: 0f850390...@example.com (Gregory Carman)
Sender: Gregory Carman <0f8503901d844703eea1acecb7a4938a_2766@example.com>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 02:18:02 +0000
 by: Gregory Carman - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 02:18 UTC

I have a bank vault in my office building that was probably installed in 1930
as that is the corner stone on the building and it was built to house the Bank
of Farmingdale.The door as you can see is open. I spoke with the last branch
manager, Frank Bondietti who remembers the vault as functional but does not
remember the combination. Frank is in his 90's. Any ideas on how I can
reset the vault combination so I can use the room to secure documents in a
fireproof environment?
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/79
https://www.polytechforum.com/img/7a

Re: How to reset combination for a Mosler bank safe, installed in 1930 approximately

<sbad0j$1ujc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4711&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4711

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: How to reset combination for a Mosler bank safe, installed in
1930 approximately
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:37:25 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:37 UTC

On 6/26/2021 7:18 PM, Gregory Carman wrote:
> I have a bank vault in my office building that was probably installed in
> 1930
> as that is the corner stone on the building and it was built to house
> the Bank
> of Farmingdale.The door as you can see is open. I spoke with the last
> branch
> manager, Frank Bondietti who remembers the vault as functional but
does not
> remember the combination. Frank is in his 90's. Any ideas on how I can
> reset the vault combination so I can use the room to secure documents
in a
> fireproof environment?

Look up the oldest locksmith in the city and ask them. You have a huge
advantage in that the door is open. Safes and vault doors have safety
interlocks that may permanently render them unopenable without
extraordinary measures if tampered with or if they must be cut open when
closed.

I say the oldest locksmith in the city, because they are most likely to
have somebody who has worked on a safe door of that age or know somebody
who has.

I recently asked a local locksmith I trust about opening a couple safes
I had the combination to, but would not open. She said I was most
likely running the combinations wrong, but they charged by the hour to
cut them open. Since both have high ratings the time to cut them open
might have been greater than the value of the safe or the contents. Not
related to your dilemma, she gave me the correct instructions to run the
combinations and they opened for me.

When you consider the value of a high quality vault or safe even several
hundred dollars is quite cheap to have a professional manage it for you.
In my example above the two safes would costs thousands of dollars to
replace. In addition the locksmith can inspect it for service wear
while they are there and let you know if it needs and repair or
maintenance.

If you happen to have run across my posts elsewhere on Usenet or on
forums you might be aware I despise when somebody asks a question and
somebody else says "call a pro." In this case I really think this is
the best answer. Financially its sound and decent quality safes and
vaults can be rendered inoperable. I'm not happy with this answer
myself, but it may be the best answer in this case.

https://www.avg.com