From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: I Was Bad Today
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 18:37:22 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 01:37 UTC

I'm mounting a set of rails in the bed of my 3/4 ton truck for a
removable goose neck or fifth wheel hitch. Either or. My dad was
giving me a hand today, and I got to the point of drilling the frame
holes to size (17/32). I had a grand total of 1 17/32 drill and last
night it had a MT2 taper and maybe a 7/16 pilot point. My son and I
drilled the bed holes with it last night after turning off the Morse
taper. (made me cry a little bit) Today drilling the frame the pilot
point followed the 3/16 pilot hole just fine, but the shoulder out to
17/32 was taking forever.

I didn't see any easy way to sharpen that little shoulder so I just cut
the pilot point off with a zip disc and reshaped the end of the drill
free hand on the grinder. When it went through the next six holes in
half the time as any of the previous holes I said, "Golly, if I had one
of those fancy drill doctors I bet I could make it almost as sharp and
drill nearly as fast." My dad didn't say anything. He uses a Drill
Doctor to sharpen drill bits.

Its kinda funny. Some of you guys might remember when I didn't have a
clue how to sharpen a drill bit. Now I'm kinda being an ass about it.
LOL.

https://www.avg.com

Re: I Was Bad Today

<uofidg9njppfpe2h38e5krjhme0elklhvv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4722&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4722

From: geraldrm...@yahoo.ca (Gerry)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: I Was Bad Today
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 23:20:06 -0400
 by: Gerry - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 03:20 UTC

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 18:37:22 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>I'm mounting a set of rails in the bed of my 3/4 ton truck for a
>removable goose neck or fifth wheel hitch. Either or. My dad was
>giving me a hand today, and I got to the point of drilling the frame
>holes to size (17/32). I had a grand total of 1 17/32 drill and last
>night it had a MT2 taper and maybe a 7/16 pilot point. My son and I
>drilled the bed holes with it last night after turning off the Morse
>taper. (made me cry a little bit) Today drilling the frame the pilot
>point followed the 3/16 pilot hole just fine, but the shoulder out to
>17/32 was taking forever.
>
>I didn't see any easy way to sharpen that little shoulder so I just cut
>the pilot point off with a zip disc and reshaped the end of the drill
>free hand on the grinder. When it went through the next six holes in
>half the time as any of the previous holes I said, "Golly, if I had one
>of those fancy drill doctors I bet I could make it almost as sharp and
>drill nearly as fast." My dad didn't say anything. He uses a Drill
>Doctor to sharpen drill bits.
>
>Its kinda funny. Some of you guys might remember when I didn't have a
>clue how to sharpen a drill bit. Now I'm kinda being an ass about it.
>LOL.
Back in the mid fifties, the high school shop teacher taught us
Teenuts method of drill sharpening - "you gotta remember to rock and
roll!"

Re: I Was Bad Today

<168caac224162600$1$1377474$6cdd666a@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4723&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4723

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:21:56 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 06:21 UTC

On 28/6/21 11:37 am, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I'm mounting a set of rails in the bed of my 3/4 ton truck for a
> removable goose neck or fifth wheel hitch.  Either or.  My dad was
> giving me a hand today, and I got to the point of drilling the frame
> holes to size (17/32).  I had a grand total of 1 17/32 drill and last
> night it had a MT2 taper and maybe a 7/16 pilot point.  My son and I
> drilled the bed holes with it last night after turning off the Morse
> taper.  (made me cry a little bit)  Today drilling the frame the pilot
> point followed the 3/16 pilot hole just fine, but the shoulder out to
> 17/32 was taking forever.
>
> I didn't see any easy way to sharpen that little shoulder so I just cut
> the pilot point off

> no clue how to sharpen a drill bit.  Now I'm kinda being an ass about it. LOL.

I do pilot points by hand. It's amazing what you can do with practise.
But perhaps that's just me being an ass about it :D

CH

Re: I Was Bad Today

<sbcei5$pn6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4724&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4724

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:15:59 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 12:15 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:sbb94g$b3m$1@gioia.aioe.org...

....I got to the point of drilling the frame holes to size (17/32). ...

-------------------------

When I need a custom diameter or taper hole I make a D bit. They won't start
a hole and cut slowly, so remove what you can with a twist bit. The tapered
ones are for air or fluid nozzles. When I can't measure the recess I want to
copy I press polymer clay into it and heat-set it to make a template.

Turn the hole and max drill chuck diameters on drill rod, and point it like
a twist drill, the angle isn't critical and the center point is only a
sharpening guide. D bits aren't aggressive enough to need 3 chucking flats
on the shank if it's smaller than the hole size.

I normally make them short like countersinks, to save drill rod and avoid
needing a tailstock center hole, and cut whatever angle my HSS lathe bits
were sharpened at, without resetting the compound. Unless it will fit a
collet block, mill the cutting end just shy of half-round before parting
off.

Smear on Ivory soap, heat red hot until non-magnetic and quench in oil.
Water may work on small ones. The soap reduces oxidation. There are many
other recipes, some of which carburize or nitride or both.

Grind the flat shiny and heat to yellow to temper.

Grind the flat down to the center to create the cutting edge. They still
work if ground beyond the center.

Try it. If it dulls, reharden and temper to a lighter yellow. If it chips,
temper darker and regrind. Grinding some relief behind the cutting edge may
help them cut faster with less pressure. I needed several hardening tries to
make one drill a truck leaf spring for a lift kit's larger U bolts.

A variant that cuts faster but rougher is the spade bit.

jsw