What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle Sharpener.

computers / comp.mobile.android / No sound from Message App

SubjectAuthor
* No sound from Message Appjetjock
+- Re: No sound from Message AppJörg Lorenz
`* Re: No sound from Message AppAndy Burns
 `* Re: No sound from Message AppWally J
  +* Re: No sound from Message AppAndy Burns
  |`- Re: No sound from Message AppWally J
  `* Re: No sound from Message Appjetjock
   `- Re: No sound from Message AppWally J

1
No sound from Message App

<l00qli1vr790rofhgi0gi6g771dtps5saf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47502&group=comp.mobile.android#47502

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: No sound from Message App
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:37:49 -0600
 by: jetjock - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:37 UTC

Wife's phone is a Galaxy 8. All sound notifications work except for
the Message App. I've tried changing the notification sound with no
luck I'm using the same message app on my Galaxy 9+ with no adds and
no problems. I tried installing the same app again on her phone and
the whistle worked, but now the damn thing ( new app) is nothing but
one ad after another. Any ideas why it won't "whistle" at her?

Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujj4ud$virj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47503&group=comp.mobile.android#47503

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: No sound from Message App
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:46:05 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:46 UTC

Am 21.11.23 um 21:37 schrieb jetjock:
> Wife's phone is a Galaxy 8. All sound notifications work except for
> the Message App. I've tried changing the notification sound with no
> luck I'm using the same message app on my Galaxy 9+ with no adds and
> no problems. I tried installing the same app again on her phone and
> the whistle worked, but now the damn thing ( new app) is nothing but
> one ad after another. Any ideas why it won't "whistle" at her?
>
> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of

Why don't you use the stock android/Google app?

https://messages.google.com

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: No sound from Message App

<ks4muiF25d5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47504&group=comp.mobile.android#47504

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:49:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:49 UTC

jetjock wrote:

> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of

Google Messages?

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging>

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujk4ud$1hivi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47506&group=comp.mobile.android#47506

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 01:52:13 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:52 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

>> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of
>
> Google Messages?
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging>

It's difficult to recommend basic text apps because there are so many.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms%20text&c=apps>

And they all do (fundamentally) the same thing. Each with added features.
*Best text messaging apps for Android in 2023*
<https://www.xda-developers.com/best-text-messaging-apps-android/>

I tested them all, long ago, & the open source QuickSMS & the open source
PulseSMS came out on top (where Maple Media later bought the FOSS PulseSMS)

*QKSMS& by Moez Bhatti (Open Source)(In-app purchases)
free,adfree,gsf?,3.9star,17.8K reviews,1M+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moez.QKSMS>

I have been using the last known good version of PulseSMS for so many years
I can't count how long - on a variety of Android phones - & it works great!
<https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>

This is the specific open source version I have been using for years:
PulseSMS by Klinker Bros <xyz.klinker.messenger> version 5.4.6.2816
Size: 23847875 bytes (22 MiB)
SHA256: F83E0264EFEDF98773D22B658B932A023F4CE912C11FA5F8094AE322346944FF
<https://i.postimg.cc/c4PrjSwx/aurora19.jpg> Save all APKs upon install

Mine was obtained from the Google Play Store repo long ago (since all my
APKs are saved automatically to Windows at the time of installation).
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

Note: Technically, APKs are not "saved" so much as "not deleted" after
installation, since the FOSS Google Play Store client has a switch for it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/V6tyDpNd/aurora17.jpg> Don't delete APKs postinstall
--
Usenet is where people of all experience levels meld their experiences for
the benefit of the team, each one adding more value with each thread post.

Re: No sound from Message App

<ks5srcFb21fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47508&group=comp.mobile.android#47508

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:35:57 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 08:35 UTC

Wally J wrote:

> It's difficult to recommend basic text apps because there are so many.
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms%20text&c=apps>

Have you got a list of text apps that support RCS?

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujkj5g$1i8qa$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47511&group=comp.mobile.android#47511

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 05:54:57 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 09:54 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote

> Have you got a list of text apps that support RCS?

Hi Andy,

1. Google Messages <com.google.android.apps.messaging>
2. Samsung Messages <com.samsung.android.messaging>
3. Smart Messages <com.messages.chat>
4. Beeper <com.beeper.chat>
5. Mei <com.mei>

Details are in the thread opened to flesh out the subject better.
*What RCS messaging chat (MMS/SMS/RCS) apps do you know of for Android?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/YQNFQmXJjIo>
--
Each of us on Usenet has a different use model so we learn from each other.

Re: No sound from Message App

<01rsli5idebmifakrep2ktkk7811104g18@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47525&group=comp.mobile.android#47525

From: jetj...@unkown.com (jetjock)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 15:13:44 -0600
 by: jetjock - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 21:13 UTC

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 01:52:13 -0400, Wally J
<walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote
>
>>> Any suggestions for a good message app for android that is not full of
>>
>> Google Messages?
>>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging>
>
>It's difficult to recommend basic text apps because there are so many.
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sms%20text&c=apps>
>
>And they all do (fundamentally) the same thing. Each with added features.
> *Best text messaging apps for Android in 2023*
> <https://www.xda-developers.com/best-text-messaging-apps-android/>
>
>I tested them all, long ago, & the open source QuickSMS & the open source
>PulseSMS came out on top (where Maple Media later bought the FOSS PulseSMS)
>
> *QKSMS& by Moez Bhatti (Open Source)(In-app purchases)
> free,adfree,gsf?,3.9star,17.8K reviews,1M+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.moez.QKSMS>
>
>I have been using the last known good version of PulseSMS for so many years
>I can't count how long - on a variety of Android phones - & it works great!
> <https://home.pulsesms.app/overview/>
>
>This is the specific open source version I have been using for years:
> PulseSMS by Klinker Bros <xyz.klinker.messenger> version 5.4.6.2816
> Size: 23847875 bytes (22 MiB)
> SHA256: F83E0264EFEDF98773D22B658B932A023F4CE912C11FA5F8094AE322346944FF

I just spent about an hour & a half trying to install this version on
her Galaxy 8 with no luck. No matter which of the various "fixes" I
tried to get around the "apk not installed" failure, it just will not
install on Android v9. I also tried installing the version of Samsung
Messages (a slightly newer version than she has), that I have on my
phone with the same results. Permission is set to install from unknown
sources, so that is not the problem. I even tried "ApkMirror
installer" (what a piece of shit that is!!) with same results.
Guess she'll just have to live without an oral notification as every
"new" version of all the message apps I can find are so loaded with
ads as to be almost unusable! Even your favorite PulseSMS.

> <https://i.postimg.cc/c4PrjSwx/aurora19.jpg> Save all APKs upon install
>
>Mine was obtained from the Google Play Store repo long ago (since all my
>APKs are saved automatically to Windows at the time of installation).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows
>
>Note: Technically, APKs are not "saved" so much as "not deleted" after
>installation, since the FOSS Google Play Store client has a switch for it.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/V6tyDpNd/aurora17.jpg> Don't delete APKs postinstall

Re: No sound from Message App

<ujm5ld$1houc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47531&group=comp.mobile.android#47531

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 20:16:46 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 00:16 UTC

jetjock <jetjock@unkown.com> wrote

> I just spent about an hour & a half trying to install this version on
> her Galaxy 8 with no luck.

Thanks for trying to install PulseSMS which is always in the top set of
Messaging apps when you run a search for "best Android messaging apps".
<https://www.androidcentral.com/best-text-messaging-apps>
<https://www.wired.com/story/best-sms-text-messaging-apps-android/>
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-texting-apps-for-android-653970/>
etc.

I think I know what your installation problem is... but first...

Q1: *Does the PulseSMS on the Google Play Store repository install?*
A1: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.klinker.messenger>

If that installs, then your problem is likely something I've seen before,
which Andy Burns knows more about than I do, as you need the right package.

Notice the downloads have crazy names, such as:
xyz.klinker.messenger_5.4.6.2816-2816_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

You have to get the exact correct one for your specific hardware.
I don't know how to go about doing that though.

So let's take a look at the APK mirror for now...
<https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/pulse-sms/pulse-smstablet-messenger/>

Notice each version comes in multiple "variants" (which I don't understand
all that much because I just use old versions that I downloaded myself).

There's an FAQ though which supposedly explains how to choose variants.
<https://www.apkmirror.com/faq/>

This is probably the first FAQ Q&A that you might want to look at:
<https://www.apkmirror.com/faq/#How_can_I_find_out_my_device8217s_DPI_architecture_screen_size_and_otherspecs>

They suggest using "Droid Hardware Info" by "Inkwired" but I'd use what I
use which doesn't have ads - but for now - just use what they suggest.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkwired.droidinfo>

In summary, I think the problem you're having is you have to download the
correct variant for your hardware - and I never have to do that as I save
every APK that ever was installed on my system to Windows automatically.

Maybe Andy Burns or someone else can help you determine your hardware.
--
The whole point of Usenet is to reach out to others to help them, and to
learn from them and then to add to the group's tribal knowledge for others.

computers / comp.mobile.android / No sound from Message App