Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Etymological question -- "waller" a hole
From: dodgegir...@gmail.com (Tammera Thomason)
 by: Tammera Thomason - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 20:05 UTC

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 1:34:12 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote:
> The sons of the family mechanic talked about "wallering a hole", in the
> sense of "to wear and enlarge in an uncontrolled manner" ("the bolt was
> loose and wallered out the hole, now it don't fit"), or (with contempt
> for shade-tree mechanics) "to intentionally enlarge a hole in an
> uncontrolled manner" ("that <deleted> just wallered out those holes
> instead of using a drill bit of the proper size, now nuthin' fits right").
>
> Has anyone else seen this? I'm curious if it was a family invention or
> if it's a word of real usage.
>
> --
>
> Tim Wescott
> Wescott Design Services
> http://www.wescottdesign.com
I'm a court reporter. I am working on a transcript where an 85-yr-old witness from Georgia
is talking about drilling a hole in an electrical panel box.
He says: You put a drill bit in your drill motor and *chuck it down and drill a wall.
Sometimes you used a center punch to make sure you don't *wallow off the hole."

Re: Etymological question -- "waller" a hole

<ehi6fg13sroo9hhgnrdgj970thlptsc7ei@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4771&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4771

From: new...@nedsim.com (Ned Simmons)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:29:54 -0400
 by: Ned Simmons - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:29 UTC

On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:05:18 -0700 (PDT), Tammera Thomason
<dodgegirl46@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 1:34:12 PM UTC-5, Tim Wescott wrote:
>> The sons of the family mechanic talked about "wallering a hole", in the
>> sense of "to wear and enlarge in an uncontrolled manner" ("the bolt was
>> loose and wallered out the hole, now it don't fit"), or (with contempt
>> for shade-tree mechanics) "to intentionally enlarge a hole in an
>> uncontrolled manner" ("that <deleted> just wallered out those holes
>> instead of using a drill bit of the proper size, now nuthin' fits right").
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this? I'm curious if it was a family invention or
>> if it's a word of real usage.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tim Wescott
>> Wescott Design Services
>> http://www.wescottdesign.com
>I'm a court reporter. I am working on a transcript where an 85-yr-old witness from Georgia
>is talking about drilling a hole in an electrical panel box.
>He says: You put a drill bit in your drill motor and *chuck it down and drill a wall.
>Sometimes you used a center punch to make sure you don't *wallow off the hole."

A center punch makes a small indentation that minimizes the tendency
of a drill to skate away from the desired location when starting a
hole. You could reasonably interpret the statement "wallow off the
hole" to mean "wander from the intended location of the hole."

--
Ned Simmons