Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Car radio

SubjectAuthor
* Car radioCarlos E. R.
+* Re: Car radioAJL
|+* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
||`* Re: Car radioAJL
|| `* Re: Car radioAJL
||  `- Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
|`* Re: Car radioWally J
| `- Re: Car radioAJL
+* Re: Car radioWally J
|+* Re: Car radiocandycanearter07
||`* Re: Car radioWally J
|| +- Re: Car radiocandycanearter07
|| `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
||  `* Re: Car radioWally J
||   `- Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
|`* Re: Car radiocandycanearter07
| `* Re: Car radioWally J
|  `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
|   `* Re: Car radioWally J
|    `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
|     `- Re: Car radioWally J
+* Re: Car radioDave Roya
|+* Re: Car radioJeff Layman
||`* Re: Car radioDave Roya
|| `* Re: Car radioJeff Layman
||  +* Re: Car radioDave Roya
||  |`* Re: Car radioJeff Layman
||  | `- Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
||  `- Re: Car radioDave Roya
|`* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| +* Re: Car radioDave Roya
| |`* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| | `* Re: Car radioDave Roya
| |  `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| |   `* Re: Car radioDave Roya
| |    +- Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| |    `* Re: Car radioDave Roya
| |     `- Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
|  `- Re: Car radioWally J
+- Re: Car radioNewyana2
+* Re: Car radioNewyana2
|`* Re: Car radiocandycanearter07
| +* Re: Car radioNewyana2
| |`* Re: Car radiocandycanearter07
| | +* Re: Car radioNewyana2
| | |`- Re: Car radioJoerg Lorenz
| | `* Re: Car radioThe Real Bev
| |  `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| |   `* Re: Car radioThe Real Bev
| |    `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| |     `* Re: Car radioThe Real Bev
| |      `* Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
| |       `- Re: Car radioThe Real Bev
| `- Re: Car radioCarlos E. R.
`- Re: Car radioNewyana2

Pages:123
Car radio

<ksn5uiFth6dU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47760&group=comp.mobile.android#47760

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Car radio
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:55 UTC

Hi,

Yesterday I had a look in Android Car at what apps there are available
in it, and I noticed "Radioline".

The available apps are a subset of those apps I have on the phone, and
now and then another one gets ported to Android Auto. I also noticed
"Kobo Books". Huh? A book reader on the car, while driving? There were
no books on it, though. There are some on my phone. Maybe it is intended
for audio books, of which I have none.

Ok, so I tried Radioline. I tried my favourite station, and it said
"login required".

WHAAAAT?

And the station did not play. Other stations played.

Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.

Other apps I have used recently do not say I have to login. But it is
possible that via login I might have access to the alternate audio
stream of that station.

I'll explain.

This instant, the FM and AM radios of this station are broadcasting some
fútbol match (European football). I hate that. But if I go to the
station web page there are two audio streams, the sports, or the normal
programming (politics reports). On the proprietary app of the station
you also get that choice. Not on the open source apps.

So I have now in my tablet Firefox running (with UBlock Origin) on that
station, playing the alternate audio stream (without UBO the station
page takes several minutes to load, slow as molasses). I can't do this
in Android Auto. I would have to stop the car on the side, open the
browser in the phone, and play the audio on the car speaker.

Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk5r7k$f5ca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47768&group=comp.mobile.android#47768

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Car radio
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:56:50 -0700
 by: AJL - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:56 UTC

On 11/28/2023 2:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio: I
> refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.

One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites. I
keep a list of around 10 favorite stations that I like that are kept in
a separate folder for easy access. So when I install the app on a
new toy (device) and log in, it immediately updates my favorites.
Easy-peasy. And I only have to log in once per device so not that much
of a hassle either.

And for my paranoia I use a fake ID and email address for just just such
log-in circumstances. And not just for Internet radio...

> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

Depends on the app. I seldom have any problems with the apps I use and
I'm GUESSING that most of those hiccups can be attributed to my ISP...

Re: Car radio

<ksna7pFth6eU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47769&group=comp.mobile.android#47769

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:08:41 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:08 UTC

On 2023-11-28 23:56, AJL wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 2:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio: I
>> refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>
> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites.

Nope. Not login to the app, login to the station.

Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk5scd$favd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47770&group=comp.mobile.android#47770

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:16:27 -0700
 by: AJL - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:16 UTC

On 11/28/2023 4:08 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-11-28 23:56, AJL wrote:
>> On 11/28/2023 2:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>>> that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio: I
>>> refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>>
>> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites.
>
> Nope. Not login to the app, login to the station.

You must be using a browser then?

Re: Car radio

<uk5t8u$febb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47771&group=comp.mobile.android#47771

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:31:42 -0700
 by: AJL - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 23:31 UTC

On 11/28/2023 4:16 PM, AJL wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 4:08 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my
>>> Favorites.
>>
>> Nope. Not login to the app, login to the station.
>
> You must be using a browser then?

Just reread the original post. I've never had to log into a station once
inside an app. Weird. So just ignore my post.

>> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

Shouldn't judge all of Internet Radio by one app/station...

Re: Car radio

<ksnebjFth6eU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47776&group=comp.mobile.android#47776

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 01:18:59 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:18 UTC

On 2023-11-29 00:31, AJL wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 4:16 PM, AJL wrote:

>>> Nope. Not login to the app, login to the station.
>>
>> You must be using a browser then?
>
> Just reread the original post. I've never had to log into a station once
> inside an app. Weird. So just ignore my post.

They must have struck a deal with the station, which has their own app,
which I know requires registration.

>>> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...
>
> Shouldn't judge all of Internet Radio by one app/station...

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk613m$3eolq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47778&group=comp.mobile.android#47778

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:37:09 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:37 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

> Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
> I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.

As well you should, as anyone who creates a login and logs into an account
to do something that does not need that account, is a sheep led to
slaughter (IMHO).

There are very few (almost none) app functionalities that need an account.

While some things need an account (e.g., mail, banking, medical record
lookups, cloud storage, etc.,) most things do not need an account.

Even the Android phone doesn't need an account.
It works just fine without it.

What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?

Re: Car radio

<uk618p$3eosv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47779&group=comp.mobile.android#47779

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:39:52 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 00:39 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites.

I use the FOSS YouTube client, which doesn't need me to create an account.
And yet, it remembers my favorites.

I can even subscribe to a YouTube channel with it.
The point being most things that require an account, don't need it.

Anyone who creates that account, is, IMHO, a sheep led to slaughter.

Re: Car radio

<uk630k$g6hq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47780&group=comp.mobile.android#47780

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 18:09:37 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 01:09 UTC

On 11/28/2023 5:39 PM, Wally J wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

>> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my
>> Favorites.

> I use the FOSS YouTube client, which doesn't need me to create an
> account. And yet, it remembers my favorites.

My radio apps don't require an account to remember favorites either. But
they do need an account to AUTOMATICALLY add my favorites to a newly
installed app on a new device. Else how would they know it was me on the
new toys...

> Anyone who creates that account, is, IMHO, a sheep led to slaughter.

My fake log-in ID never feels a thing...

Re: Car radio

<uk6q99$nk6n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47782&group=comp.mobile.android#47782

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:46:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 07:46 UTC

On 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Yesterday I had a look in Android Car at what apps there are available
>in it, and I noticed "Radioline".
>
>The available apps are a subset of those apps I have on the phone, and
>now and then another one gets ported to Android Auto. I also noticed
>"Kobo Books". Huh? A book reader on the car, while driving? There were
>no books on it, though. There are some on my phone. Maybe it is intended
>for audio books, of which I have none.
>
>Ok, so I tried Radioline. I tried my favourite station, and it said
>"login required".
>
>WHAAAAT?

Probably a commercial arrangement: Radioline paid Google to get their app
included.

>And the station did not play. Other stations played.

Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
outside Spain.

>Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
>I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>
>Other apps I have used recently do not say I have to login. But it is
>possible that via login I might have access to the alternate audio
>stream of that station.
>
>I'll explain.
>
>This instant, the FM and AM radios of this station are broadcasting some
>fútbol match (European football). I hate that. But if I go to the
>station web page there are two audio streams, the sports, or the normal
>programming (politics reports). On the proprietary app of the station
>you also get that choice. Not on the open source apps.
>
>So I have now in my tablet Firefox running (with UBlock Origin) on that
>station, playing the alternate audio stream (without UBO the station
>page takes several minutes to load, slow as molasses). I can't do this
>in Android Auto. I would have to stop the car on the side, open the
>browser in the phone, and play the audio on the car speaker.
>

>Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

You may be able to find the stream address and play it in a media player
such as VLC, or a browser. Try googling "<station-name> stream address".
e.g. BBC Radio 3:

<http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8>
One tap on a list of favourites and it plays.

You can also pull that file address - the m3u8 file - out of Firefox by
using the developer tools, network tab.

I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Car radio

<uk6s4t$nq2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47783&group=comp.mobile.android#47783

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:18:37 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:18 UTC

On 29/11/2023 07:46, Dave Royal wrote:

> I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
> least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?

I use DAB too, in the same area as you. However, there seems to be a
move to DAB+ for some stations (such as Classic FM), which my 8 years
old car radio doesn't do. I guess that for some stations it'll have to
be a move to FM.

--

Jeff

Re: Car radio

<uk6upk$obp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47784&group=comp.mobile.android#47784

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:03:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:03 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 08:18:37 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:
>On 29/11/2023 07:46, Dave Royal wrote:
>
>> I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
>> least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?
>
>I use DAB too, in the same area as you. However, there seems to be a
>move to DAB+ for some stations (such as Classic FM), which my 8 years
>old car radio doesn't do. I guess that for some stations it'll have to
>be a move to FM.

None of my house radios does DAB+, they're all >15 years old - one is >20.
I don't know whether my 4yo VW car does. The only DAB+ stations I've seen
mentioned (on music forums) that I thought I might listen to were either
pretty niche or local - I doubt if they were on FM. In all cases I could
stream them.

But I just found that Jazz FM is now on DAB+ (here in Kent). The radio had
previouly tuned it in, but now it won't play. Saves them money, and they
can get more of their stations on the multiplex.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Car radio

<uk6vrm$ohdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47785&group=comp.mobile.android#47785

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:21 UTC

On 29/11/2023 09:03, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2023 08:18:37 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 29/11/2023 07:46, Dave Royal wrote:
>>
>>> I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
>>> least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?
>>
>> I use DAB too, in the same area as you. However, there seems to be a
>> move to DAB+ for some stations (such as Classic FM), which my 8 years
>> old car radio doesn't do. I guess that for some stations it'll have to
>> be a move to FM.
>
> None of my house radios does DAB+, they're all >15 years old - one is >20.
> I don't know whether my 4yo VW car does. The only DAB+ stations I've seen
> mentioned (on music forums) that I thought I might listen to were either
> pretty niche or local - I doubt if they were on FM. In all cases I could
> stream them.
>
> But I just found that Jazz FM is now on DAB+ (here in Kent). The radio had
> previouly tuned it in, but now it won't play. Saves them money, and they
> can get more of their stations on the multiplex.

Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)

--

Jeff

Re: Car radio

<uk70rv$ooq5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47786&group=comp.mobile.android#47786

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:39:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:39 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:

>Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)

I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.

Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover disadvantage
;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Car radio

<uk712e$oq4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47787&group=comp.mobile.android#47787

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:42:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:42 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:

>Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)

I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.

Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover disadvantage
;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Car radio

<ksoisjFbklbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47788&group=comp.mobile.android#47788

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:42:27 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:42 UTC

On 2023-11-29 08:46, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday I had a look in Android Car at what apps there are available
>> in it, and I noticed "Radioline".
>>
>> The available apps are a subset of those apps I have on the phone, and
>> now and then another one gets ported to Android Auto. I also noticed
>> "Kobo Books". Huh? A book reader on the car, while driving? There were
>> no books on it, though. There are some on my phone. Maybe it is intended
>> for audio books, of which I have none.
>>
>> Ok, so I tried Radioline. I tried my favourite station, and it said
>> "login required".
>>
>> WHAAAAT?
>
> Probably a commercial arrangement: Radioline paid Google to get their app
> included.

I think it is not a login to radioline, but to the station.

I just opened the app in the phone (the other day was in Android Auto).
It asks permission to store and access personal information such as
precise location and device characteristics for the purposes of
identification.

Then I tapped on that station (Cadena SER) and it said "this content is
not available now". Other stations work. And this particular station
works in "Open Radio" app.

If I tap the cog wheel of Radioline app, it suggests to create an
account, but works without one.

So there is something special with this particular station, Cadena SER,
on this app.

>> And the station did not play. Other stations played.
>
> Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
> outside Spain.

But I am in Spain.

Apps like "Open Radio" stream the futbol program just fine. Or
Firefox/Chrome.

Usually, the station stream is prefixed with a fixed advert before it
allows one to listen to the program.

(and this moment fútbol is finished)

>> Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
>> I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>>
>> Other apps I have used recently do not say I have to login. But it is
>> possible that via login I might have access to the alternate audio
>> stream of that station.
>>
>> I'll explain.
>>
>> This instant, the FM and AM radios of this station are broadcasting some
>> fútbol match (European football). I hate that. But if I go to the
>> station web page there are two audio streams, the sports, or the normal
>> programming (politics reports). On the proprietary app of the station
>> you also get that choice. Not on the open source apps.
>>
>> So I have now in my tablet Firefox running (with UBlock Origin) on that
>> station, playing the alternate audio stream (without UBO the station
>> page takes several minutes to load, slow as molasses). I can't do this
>> in Android Auto. I would have to stop the car on the side, open the
>> browser in the phone, and play the audio on the car speaker.
>>

>> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...
>
> You may be able to find the stream address and play it in a media player
> such as VLC, or a browser. Try googling "<station-name> stream address".
> e.g. BBC Radio 3:
>
> <http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8>
> One tap on a list of favourites and it plays.

I get:

Icecast Streaming Media Server - cadena SER
Cadena SER
https://emisoras.cadenaser.com
Cadena SER 2. Stream Description: Cadena SER 2. Content Type:
audio/mpeg. Stream ... Stream URL: RADIOLE. Currently playing: Mount
Point /internet2A. M3U · XSPF ...

https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/

I can not paste properly the contents of that page, it is weird.

Several of these:

Mount Point /CADENASER M3U XSPF

Stream Name: Cadena SER
Stream Description: Cadena SER
Content Type: audio/mpeg
Stream started: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 03:16:19 +0100
Bitrate: 75
Listeners (current): 178
Listeners (peak): 178
Genre: Cadena SER
Stream URL: CADENASER
Currently playing:

There are two links, one M3U and another XSPF.

The first one doesn't open, it downloads a file:

cer@Laicolasse:~/Downloads> cat CADENASER.m3u
http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/CADENASER
cer@Laicolasse:~/Downloads>

Calling "vlc CADENASER.m3u" doesn't play it.

cer@Laicolasse:~/Downloads> cat CADENASER.xspf
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playlist xmlns="http://xspf.org/ns/0/" version="1">
<title/>
<creator/>
<trackList>
<track>
<location>http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/CADENASER</location>
<title/>
<annotation>Stream Title: Cadena SER
Stream Description: Cadena SER
Content Type:audio/mpeg
Bitrate: 75
Current Listeners: 141
Peak Listeners: 180
Stream Genre: Cadena SER</annotation>
<info>CADENASER</info>
</track>
</trackList>
</playlist>

vlc doesn't play the file.

Opening VLC independently and pointing it to open stream at
"http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/CADENASER" doesn't work.

The string "CADENASER" in the page <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/> is
clicable, and plays (in firefox). <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER>

Ok, this is very nice, but apparently will only work inside firefox, so
not in Android Auto.

Page Info says the media is of type video.

Developers tool (thanks for the info) says
"https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER", which we already know.

Now, why VLC doesn't open it?

Wait, now it works!

vlc https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER

That's wonderful :-)

I'll try that link on the phone now. [...] Yes, it works!

Next step, look at that page at a time they have the split program, news
and fútbol :-)

It could be: <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER2>

which now is identical audio as the other one.

> You can also pull that file address - the m3u8 file - out of Firefox by
> using the developer tools, network tab.

Yes, nice trick.

> I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
> least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?

Depends on the country. Switzerland I'm told that yes. Spain, there is a
transmitter in Barcelona and another in Madrid.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmisi%C3%B3n_digital_de_audio#Espa%C3%B1a

I don't have any DAB receiver. I'm just looking at one, maybe cyber week:

<https://www.amazon.es/s?k=radio+dab%2B&__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=HT289ZRUTB8K&sprefix=radio+dab+%2Caps%2C128&ref=nb_sb_noss_2>

This one (Amazon option)

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08L6SHMJL

can output via BT. Almost 60 euros.

8,27 x 3,5 x 4,72 cm; 460 grams. Too small.

This other:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0B321H9B8/

looks nicer, 43€.

Says 10*10*10 mm! Impossible.

I hate the photos, happy people listening to the radio. Puagh.

Ah, size is ‎ 17 x 5,5 x 9,5 cm; 370 grams. That's a reasonable size.

No internet radio (the other one has it).

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00IAV917O/

74€

Display is very simple. Many buttons. Known brand (Panasonic).

25,1 x 9,1 x 13,8 cm; 1,3 kg

Mentions battery but not its type.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk75u1$pv06$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47789&group=comp.mobile.android#47789

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:05:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:05 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 11:42:27 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>On 2023-11-29 08:46, Dave Royal wrote:
>> On 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> And the station did not play. Other stations played.
>>
>> Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
>> outside Spain.
>
>But I am in Spain.

I assumed you were, but if they stream it on the internet it could be
received outside Spain, so they don't stream it.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Car radio

<ksokkqFbklbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47791&group=comp.mobile.android#47791

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:12:26 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:12 UTC

On 2023-11-29 12:05, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2023 11:42:27 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
>>> outside Spain.
>>
>> But I am in Spain.
>
> I assumed you were, but if they stream it on the internet it could be
> received outside Spain, so they don't stream it.

They do stream it.

OpenRadio app listens to it, no problem. Simple Radio app, no problem.
You can listen to it on Firefox, no problem.

The problem is listening to the alternate stream that is not futbol, no
app broadcasts it, except the station own app, which requires
registration. Firefox also listens to it.

And today I found the possible URL of that alternate stream, so that I
may be able to listen to it on the car with VLC.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk78u9$qjcc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47792&group=comp.mobile.android#47792

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:56:57 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:56 UTC

On 29/11/2023 09:39, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>> which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>> no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>> might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>> to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)
>
> I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
> hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.

It was just a question, seeing that there seemed to be a move by some
stations (at least) to move to from DAB to DAB+.

> Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
> counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
> learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover disadvantage
> ;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?

I could only find one station (WDR Event Regular Service) at
<https://www.worlddab.org/countries/germany/multiplexes> which
broadcasts in DAB only. All the rest are DAB+. You could well be right
that Lidl sources the radios from Germany, so they're DAB+ only.

--

Jeff

Re: Car radio

<ksoot3FbklaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47793&group=comp.mobile.android#47793

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:25:07 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:25 UTC

On 2023-11-29 11:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Now, why VLC doesn't open it?
>
> Wait, now it works!
>
> vlc https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER
>
> That's wonderful :-)
>
> I'll try that link on the phone now. [...] Yes, it works!
>

> Next step, look at that page at a time they have the split program, news
> and fútbol :-)
>
> It could be: <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER2>
>
> which now is identical audio as the other one.
I just managed to add both streams manually to app "Open Radio" on the
tablet, worked instantly.

Then I installed the app on the phone, added the two streams, and later
will try on the car to see if the app displays on Android Auto.

Finally, I have to wait for a fútbol day to see if the 2nd stream is the
one I want, and problem finally solved.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk7b70$3gv4q$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47795&group=comp.mobile.android#47795

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:35:44 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:35 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

> Finally, I have to wait for a f�tbol day to see if the 2nd stream is the
> one I want, and problem finally solved.

I'm happy you solved your problem (or at least you're ready to test the
solution on the given day), where that's what I love about Android.

I have both iPads and Android phones and tablets, and there's just no
comparison when it comes to being able to solve the problems that arise.

Let us know if it works in the final analysis.

Re: Car radio

<uk7bb1$rbeu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47796&group=comp.mobile.android#47796

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:37:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:37 UTC

On 29 Nov 2023 12:12:26 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:

>They do stream it.
>
>OpenRadio app listens to it, no problem. Simple Radio app, no problem.
>You can listen to it on Firefox, no problem.
>
>The problem is listening to the alternate stream that is not futbol, no
>app broadcasts it, except the station own app, which requires
>registration. Firefox also listens to it.
>
>And today I found the possible URL of that alternate stream, so that I
>may be able to listen to it on the car with VLC.

Perhaps the streaming service checks your IP.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Car radio

<ksoppbFbklaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47797&group=comp.mobile.android#47797

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:40:11 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:40 UTC

On 2023-11-29 12:56, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 09:39, Dave Royal wrote:
>> On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>>> which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>>> no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>>> might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>>> to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)
>>
>> I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
>> hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.
>
> It was just a question, seeing that there seemed to be a move by some
> stations (at least) to move to from DAB to DAB+.
>
>> Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
>> counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
>> learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover
>> disadvantage
>> ;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?
>
> I could only find one station (WDR Event Regular Service) at
> <https://www.worlddab.org/countries/germany/multiplexes> which
> broadcasts in DAB only. All the rest are DAB+. You could well be right
> that Lidl sources the radios from Germany, so they're DAB+ only.

Ah, nice link.

https://www.worlddab.org/countries/spain#automotive

Last update: 16.02.2022 - older versions

In Spain, 91% of new cars sold in 2021 have DAB+ as standard (Source:
JATO Dynamics 2022).

Gosh. I haven't yet seen a car with it...

https://www.worlddab.org/countries/spain/multiplexes

Two dab+ stations, on trial.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Car radio

<uk7f7q$rtmq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47799&group=comp.mobile.android#47799

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:44:03 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:44 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

| Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

I would nominate an alternate solution: I replaced
my car radio with a small storage cabinet that I made
to fit the opening. I don't have a computer in the car
and don't turn on my cellphone most of the time...
Very peaceful, and no logins. :)

Re: Car radio

<uk7fav$ru87$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47800&group=comp.mobile.android#47800

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:45:44 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:45 UTC