Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proven innocent. -- George Orwell

computers / comp.mobile.android / Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

SubjectAuthor
* Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.micky
+* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Andy Burns
> [...]
|       |+* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Carlos E. R.
|       ||`* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.micky
|       || `- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Carlos E. R.
|       |`* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Frank Slootweg
|       | +- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.micky
|       | +* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Carlos E. R.
|       | |+- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Frank Slootweg
|       | |`- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.micky
|       | `* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Wally J
|       |  `* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.micky
|       |   `* Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Wally J
|       |    `- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.micky
|       `- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Wally J
`- Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.Dave Roya

Pages:123
Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<u3mrmilc8udjs1t0as7et9ge1mkbjhvudd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47950&group=comp.mobile.android#47950

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 08:53:05 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:53 UTC

Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)

It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.

Or maybe he can post the same things again after the jerk who is
spamming us stops. OTOH, will I actually think to remove my filter when
that time comes? If someone reminds me, yet.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<kt64abF99ejU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47951&group=comp.mobile.android#47951

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:59:38 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:59 UTC

micky wrote:

> Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
> my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
> message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)

no hyphen between google and groups, I match on

message-id: contains @googlegroups.com

> It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
> trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
> I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.

I didn't see anyone in this group that needed whitelisting

> Or maybe he can post the same things again after the jerk who is
> spamming us stops. OTOH, will I actually think to remove my filter when
> that time comes? If someone reminds me, yet.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<9Yt*BL3wz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47952&group=comp.mobile.android#47952

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 04 Dec 2023 14:42:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:42 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> micky wrote:
>
> > Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
> > my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
> > message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)
>
> no hyphen between google and groups, I match on
>
> message-id: contains @googlegroups.com

Same here.

> > It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
> > trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
> > I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.
>
> I didn't see anyone in this group that needed whitelisting

+1 I have a filter that moves all the threads up to the top of the list where someone
posted from Google Groups. There are only two genuine threads in my current
list, and on both of those the GG poster was a spammer.

Theo

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukkvi6$3fjpv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47960&group=comp.mobile.android#47960

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:42:45 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:42 UTC

On 04.12.23 14:53, micky wrote:
> Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
> my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
> message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)
>
> It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
> trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
> I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.
>
> Or maybe he can post the same things again after the jerk who is
> spamming us stops. OTOH, will I actually think to remove my filter when
> that time comes? If someone reminds me, yet.

You are our hero!
Committed providers filter them like ES, Solani or Individual.net. Stop
to use these idiot server like @tweaknews.nl and all these anonymous
crap servers and your problems are solved.

For those coming via Google and you want to read create a Whitelist.
Use a real modern usenet-client and not your more than 20 years
unsupported X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukkvjr$3fjpv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47961&group=comp.mobile.android#47961

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:43:38 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

On 04.12.23 14:59, Andy Burns wrote:
> micky wrote:
>
>> Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
>> my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
>> message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)
>
> no hyphen between google and groups, I match on
>
> message-id: contains @googlegroups.com
>
>> It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
>> trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
>> I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.
>
> I didn't see anyone in this group that needed whitelisting

I have two or three and they are whitelisted.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukl61t$umu5$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47966&group=comp.mobile.android#47966

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:33:33 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 18:33 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote

>> I didn't see anyone in this group that needed whitelisting
>
> +1 I have a filter that moves all the threads up to the top of the list where someone
> posted from Google Groups. There are only two genuine threads in my current
> list, and on both of those the GG poster was a spammer.

Even I won't stoop that low to post using a Google Groups news server... :)

My suggestion for anyone who is implementing filters is this site.
http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<t8asmih073u80u96c533fb8163p5bj0lm8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47978&group=comp.mobile.android#47978

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 14:35:12 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:35 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:42:45 +0100, Jörg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>On 04.12.23 14:53, micky wrote:
>> Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
>> my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
>> message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)
>>
>> It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
>> trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
>> I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.
>>
>> Or maybe he can post the same things again after the jerk who is
>> spamming us stops. OTOH, will I actually think to remove my filter when
>> that time comes? If someone reminds me, yet.
>
>You are our hero!
>Committed providers filter them like ES, Solani or Individual.net. Stop

I was using ES until, it must have been, some crank reported me for
violations I never made. He badmouthed me in newsgroups also. Suddenly
it stopped working, no explanation, no email, and even enrolling under
iirc a different email address was not possible. It's been years and
unless they hold a grudge, I probably could re-enroll now but Tweak is
doing fine.

>to use these idiot server like @tweaknews.nl and all these anonymous
>crap servers and your problems are solved.
>
>For those coming via Google and you want to read create a Whitelist.
>Use a real modern usenet-client and not your more than 20 years
>unsupported X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171.

Agent 5 is doing fine also.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<5kasmi9f28pelopckem2hgmqha7rffac8g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47983&group=comp.mobile.android#47983

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 08:49:44 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:49 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:42:45 +0100, Jörg Lorenz fibbed:

> For those coming via Google and you want to read create a Whitelist.
> Use a real modern usenet-client and not your more than 20 years
> unsupported X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171.

* Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171 can create white lists.

* Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171 is not even 20 years old yet.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

𒈜 𒅗 𒂵 𒀊 𒍣 𒅗 𒂵 𒀊 𒈜 𒁀 𒂊 𒋧 𒆠
(Tell a lie and then tell the truth: it will be considered a lie.)

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<uklbg0$v05r$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47987&group=comp.mobile.android#47987

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:06:24 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:06 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

>>Committed providers filter them like ES, Solani or Individual.net. Stop
>
> I was using ES until, it must have been, some crank reported me for
> violations I never made. He badmouthed me in newsgroups also. Suddenly
> it stopped working, no explanation, no email, and even enrolling under
> iirc a different email address was not possible. It's been years and
> unless they hold a grudge, I probably could re-enroll now but Tweak is
> doing fine.

Hi micky,

I think I know what (might) have happened to you way back when long ago...

I don't remember (as it was long ago) but for a while I tried to make the
alt.home.repair cesspool not a spammer's wasteland, and in doing so I
reported all the off-topic spammers on a.h.r to their respective news
server admins, and most of the news server admins responded by banning
those people (except the likes of assholes like Highwinds & Giganews).

I think Frank's favorite server's admins also were assholes in every
respect (individual.net) in that they allowed all that spam to continue.

However, the smaller guys like Steve Crook & Benjamin Gufler responded
quite responsibly to the evidence I provided them of the rampant spammers.

Some, like Paolo at AIOI simply banned the entire group (e.g., when I
reported Dean Hoffmann's rampant spam using his server), which was a bummer
as that also meant nobody else could post to a.h.r. using the aioe server.

Sometimes the news server admins didn't respond to me but they still banned
the spammers, as I remember I got someone named something like "bogdan"
banned (or something like that name) where he subsequently complained like
a fiend that he suddenly lost his access that he had had for many years.

Bear in mind - all of these bans came with TONS and TONS and TONS of proof.
So it's not just me going on a personal tirade.

His spams were easily documented and the news server admin wasn't stupid.
Same think happened, as I recall, with a guy named Ed Powlowski (again, or
something like that) where he lost his access that he _paid_ for.

It's not my fault.
It's their fault for posting spam that was so easily shown to be spam that
the news server admins didn't even blink when they saw the proof provided.

However, some took a few tries, where others, like Wolfgang Weygand at
Eternal September wrote back for more proof (which isn't hard to find on
a.h.r which you still post garbage to), so when I provided that extra
information, Ray Bananna (same person) would write back saying he banned
that person - problem solved.

Back to you in your "micky" nym (I suspect you have many others, btw)...

I do remember you telling me to my face (in a post) that you had every
right to spam the shit out of any newsgroup you wanted to, so it could very
well have been that post alone (if you used Ray's server for it) that got
you banned.

When someone is asking you to stop spamming, you telling them that you have
every right in the world to spam the crap out of a newsgroup, says a LOT
about you micky. Trust me on that.

Anyway... that's water under the bridge as you'll notice I still speak to
you civilly even though you're one of the worst spammers around whom I can
identify to an account on that newsgroup.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you on this, but you're one
of the worst spammers of that newsgroup - but I gave up long ago trying to
clean it up - as even I have my limits when things are impossible to fix.

And yes, I'll know you'll deny saying what you did but trust me, you said
it, and that's likely what got you banned as Wolfgang was one of the most
conscientious news server admins that I communicated with.

BTW, Highlands & Giganews were both the worst, which is why I say they're
assholes and which is why I don't expect them to de-peer Google spam.
--
Usenet is water under the bridge. Speak to me civilly and I'll respond
civilly - no matter what your past transgressions had been on Usenet.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<uklg74.od8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47989&group=comp.mobile.android#47989

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 4 Dec 2023 20:27:11 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:27 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
[...]

> I was using ES until, it must have been, some crank reported me for
> violations I never made. He badmouthed me in newsgroups also. Suddenly
> it stopped working, no explanation, no email, and even enrolling under
> iirc a different email address was not possible. It's been years and
> unless they hold a grudge, I probably could re-enroll now but Tweak is
> doing fine.

Well, apparently tweaknews.nl is *not* "doing fine", otherwise you
wouldn't be seeing all the Google Groups originating spam you say you're
seeing.

I'll try to be on the lookout for any information from tweaknews.nl in
the abuse and News admin groups. I don't think I've seen anything sofar.

BTW, normally the slogan is "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!", but
in this case, the slogan doesn't seem to apply.

[...]

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukldfr$v389$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47991&group=comp.mobile.android#47991

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:40:28 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:40 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

> BTW, normally the slogan is "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!", but
> in this case, the slogan doesn't seem to apply.

[OT]

As a somewhat Dutch-related news-server-related aside, I think Sunsite's
Steen Jensen was in nearby Denmark but I think XS4all's Usenet's Alex De
Joode was & is in the Netherlands (usura@nospam.sabotage.org, Internet BV
Societe Anonyme Botage, adejoode@sabotage.org) for his XS4ALL news service.

However...

It has been a long time since I used either server so they may no longer
exist (for all that I know) but it was fine while I was using it long ago.
--
Those wooden shoes are so uncomfortable, that's why I attack windmills.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<6nismid7t144gf4c2qk9a63t25872tjf3n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47994&group=comp.mobile.android#47994

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 16:58:20 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:58 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 4 Dec 2023 20:27:11 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>[...]
>
>> I was using ES until, it must have been, some crank reported me for
>> violations I never made. He badmouthed me in newsgroups also. Suddenly
>> it stopped working, no explanation, no email, and even enrolling under
>> iirc a different email address was not possible. It's been years and
>> unless they hold a grudge, I probably could re-enroll now but Tweak is
>> doing fine.
>
> Well, apparently tweaknews.nl is *not* "doing fine", otherwise you
>wouldn't be seeing all the Google Groups originating spam you say you're
>seeing.

Not much of a problem. I'm not seeing it anymore. It took me 3 minutes
to read about and add a filter.

> I'll try to be on the lookout for any information from tweaknews.nl in
>the abuse and News admin groups. I don't think I've seen anything sofar.
>
> BTW, normally the slogan is "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!", but
>in this case, the slogan doesn't seem to apply.
>
>[...]

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<7vismi9l4nlva65df83vs152url0qfad4g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47995&group=comp.mobile.android#47995

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 17:01:17 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 22:01 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 05 Dec 2023 08:49:44 +1300, Ralph Fox
<-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:42:45 +0100, Jörg Lorenz fibbed:
>
>> For those coming via Google and you want to read create a Whitelist.
>> Use a real modern usenet-client and not your more than 20 years
>> unsupported X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171.
>

> * Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171 can create white lists.
>
> * Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171 is not even 20 years old yet.

Yeah, I have socks older than that!

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukq8dg.jd4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48039&group=comp.mobile.android#48039

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 6 Dec 2023 15:44:56 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 15:44 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on 4 Dec 2023 20:27:11 GMT, Frank Slootweg
> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> >micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> >[...]
> >
> >> I was using ES until, it must have been, some crank reported me for
> >> violations I never made. He badmouthed me in newsgroups also. Suddenly
> >> it stopped working, no explanation, no email, and even enrolling under
> >> iirc a different email address was not possible. It's been years and
> >> unless they hold a grudge, I probably could re-enroll now but Tweak is
> >> doing fine.
> >
> > Well, apparently tweaknews.nl is *not* "doing fine", otherwise you
> >wouldn't be seeing all the Google Groups originating spam you say you're
> >seeing.
>
> Not much of a problem. I'm not seeing it anymore. It took me 3 minutes
> to read about and add a filter.

So you pay them *and* do their job for them!? Makes perfect sense, NOT!

> > I'll try to be on the lookout for any information from tweaknews.nl in
> >the abuse and News admin groups. I don't think I've seen anything sofar.
> >
> > BTW, normally the slogan is "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!", but
> >in this case, the slogan doesn't seem to apply.
> >
> >[...]

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukqaol$1g8nb$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48048&group=comp.mobile.android#48048

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:24:36 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 17:24 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

>> Not much of a problem. I'm not seeing it anymore. It took me 3 minutes
>> to read about and add a filter.
>
> So you pay them *and* do their job for them!? Makes perfect sense, NOT!

If it took 3 minutes to add a filter, I would hope everyone here would
spend another minute to write a one-sentence complaint to Google here.
<https://groups.google.com/g/google-usenet/about>
--
*Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/hO4JNke1bNc>

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ovl1ni11sktk4ok55v46fed05g1a2holpm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48055&group=comp.mobile.android#48055

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 15:22:47 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:22 UTC

Wow, just now 25 real posts and 2600 spam. Thank goodness for filters.

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 04 Dec 2023 08:53:05 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>Just downloaded this morning's set of posts. Got 7 posts but 191 that
>my new filter deleted. It's roughtly
> message-id:@google-groups (sp? Hyphen? @?)
>
>It deletes everything from googlegroups. I hope no normal person is
>trying to post from google groups, because I won't see his post. Maybe
>I'll see answers unless everyone else is filtering based on that too.
>
>Or maybe he can post the same things again after the jerk who is
>spamming us stops. OTOH, will I actually think to remove my filter when
>that time comes? If someone reminds me, yet.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<h5n1nip4t5bf0l955bss05e4bcb6shm6op@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48060&group=comp.mobile.android#48060

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 15:45:42 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:45 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 6 Dec 2023 15:44:56 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on 4 Dec 2023 20:27:11 GMT, Frank Slootweg
>> <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> >[...]
>> >
>> > Well, apparently tweaknews.nl is *not* "doing fine", otherwise you
>> >wouldn't be seeing all the Google Groups originating spam you say you're
>> >seeing.
>>
>> Not much of a problem. I'm not seeing it anymore. It took me 3 minutes
>> to read about and add a filter.
>
> So you pay them *and* do their job for them!? Makes perfect sense, NOT!

I'm not paying tweak very much, and in the state of nature, it would not
be their job to filter out spam. That's an add-on. And this problem
which started less than a week ago is the first time I've seen
significant spam.

>> > I'll try to be on the lookout for any information from tweaknews.nl in
>> >the abuse and News admin groups. I don't think I've seen anything sofar.
>> >
>> > BTW, normally the slogan is "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!", but
>> >in this case, the slogan doesn't seem to apply.
>> >
>> >[...]

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ktc50gF4np7U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48061&group=comp.mobile.android#48061

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:48:16 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:48 UTC

On 2023-12-06 21:22, micky wrote:
> Wow, just now 25 real posts and 2600 spam. Thank goodness for filters.

Where? I only saw one or two, in this group at least.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukqnop$tkp4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48066&group=comp.mobile.android#48066

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:06:33 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:06 UTC

On 06.12.23 21:48, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-12-06 21:22, micky wrote:
>> Wow, just now 25 real posts and 2600 spam. Thank goodness for filters.
>
> Where? I only saw one or two, in this group at least.

Don't you understand how it works?
It depends whether your service provider is filtering or not.

My goodness, Carlos!

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ktc6beF4np7U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48067&group=comp.mobile.android#48067

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:11:10 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 21:11 UTC

On 2023-12-06 22:06, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 06.12.23 21:48, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2023-12-06 21:22, micky wrote:
>>> Wow, just now 25 real posts and 2600 spam. Thank goodness for filters.
>>
>> Where? I only saw one or two, in this group at least.
>
> Don't you understand how it works?
> It depends whether your service provider is filtering or not.
>
> My goodness, Carlos!

Do you really think I didn't know?

You are a fun spoiler.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukr538$1m5v1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48070&group=comp.mobile.android#48070

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:54:00 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:54 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

> Do you really think I didn't know?

What Carlos just proved, clearly, is that Carlos is, in a word, a shithead.

More specifically, Carlos doesn't give a shit about anyone.
Carlos doesn't give a shit about the c.m.a newsgroup.
Carlos does give a shit about the fact that search is now broken.
And Carlos doesn't give a shit that you can't easily reference a post.

All Carlos cares about is himself.
(Remember I pointed out there are many rude ignorant people on Usenet?)

Well, Carlos just said, rather clearly, he doesn't give a shit about us.
He only cares about himself.

Specifically Carlos doesn't care that the Usenet dejagoogle search engine
can't be used effectively anymore due to all this google-based spamming.

*Because all Carlos cares about is himself.*

Nobody else.
Just himself.

That was exactly why he said what he said.
He was telling us "*I don't give a shit about the newsgroup* to all of us.

He made it very clear.
*Carlos doesn't give a shit about Usenet or the c.m.a newsgroup*

He only cares about himself.
--
I learn what kind of people they are from what they post to Usenet.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukt4pl.mro.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48085&group=comp.mobile.android#48085

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 7 Dec 2023 18:01:21 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 18:01 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-12-06 22:06, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> >>
> >> Where? I only saw one or two, in this group at least.
> >
> > Don't you understand how it works?
> > It depends whether your service provider is filtering or not.
> >
> > My goodness, Carlos!
>
> Do you really think I didn't know?
>
> You are a fun spoiler.

On News.Individual.Net there are big holes in the article number
ranges, i.e. where the spam articles were before they got (locally)
canceled.

For safety reasons, I pull only 50 articles at a time, but because of
the holes, each pull actually pulls only a few or no articles.

Because today my own posts from yesterday appeared, I found out that
my pulls have a backlog of some 2000 (mostly non-existing) articles.

So if I'm slow in responding, you know why! :-) Just blame Google
(Groups).

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<uktc80$1pqfg$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48091&group=comp.mobile.android#48091

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:08:15 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 21:08 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote

> So if I'm slow in responding, you know why! :-) Just blame Google
> (Groups).

Frank did some nice tests and he's right that everyone loses when the news
server admins have to deal with all this spam coming from Google groups.

That's why it irks me when morons claim that they filtered the spam and
therefore they solved the problem for everyone else by doing so.

The problem needs to be solved for everyone. (IMHO)
--
Otherwise it's not worth doing if it only solves the problem for 1 person.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ktginoFcvgcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48101&group=comp.mobile.android#48101

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 14:07:04 +0100
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 13:07 UTC

On 2023-12-07 19:01, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Don't you understand how it works?
>>> It depends whether your service provider is filtering or not.
>>>
>>> My goodness, Carlos!
>>
>> Do you really think I didn't know?
>>
>> You are a fun spoiler.
>
> On News.Individual.Net there are big holes in the article number
> ranges, i.e. where the spam articles were before they got (locally)
> canceled.
>
> For safety reasons, I pull only 50 articles at a time, but because of
> the holes, each pull actually pulls only a few or no articles.
>
> Because today my own posts from yesterday appeared, I found out that
> my pulls have a backlog of some 2000 (mostly non-existing) articles.
>
> So if I'm slow in responding, you know why! :-) Just blame Google
> (Groups).

Two or three times, start of day, machine booted or coming from
suspend/hibernation, Thunderbird asks for permission to download 3000
headers. But then just a few actually show up.

Maybe TB is just looking at the index number, and as you say, there are
holes.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Filtering out spam, possibly missing real posts.

<ukvcqe.rp0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48105&group=comp.mobile.android#48105

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 8 Dec 2023 14:30:28 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 14:30 UTC

Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-12-07 19:01, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Carlos E. R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Do you really think I didn't know?
> >>
> >> You are a fun spoiler.
> >
> > On News.Individual.Net there are big holes in the article number
> > ranges, i.e. where the spam articles were before they got (locally)
> > canceled.
> >
> > For safety reasons, I pull only 50 articles at a time, but because of
> > the holes, each pull actually pulls only a few or no articles.
> >
> > Because today my own posts from yesterday appeared, I found out that
> > my pulls have a backlog of some 2000 (mostly non-existing) articles.
> >
> > So if I'm slow in responding, you know why! :-) Just blame Google
> > (Groups).
>
> Two or three times, start of day, machine booted or coming from
> suspend/hibernation, Thunderbird asks for permission to download 3000
> headers. But then just a few actually show up.
>
> Maybe TB is just looking at the index number, and as you say, there are
> holes.

Trying to load 3000 articles is probably enough. Over the past few
days, I've seen article number deltas of some 2000 per day.

A newsreader can only ask for headers by article numbers, because
while it does know past article numbers (and so can ask for the next
ones), it does not know the message-ids of the next ones (because the
message-ids are in the headers which it still has to fetch).

So the newsreader only gets the headers for the articles which
actually exist, not for the (spam) articles which have been (locally)
canceled by the news server.

So your 3000 headers at a time works for you.

I OTOH have to do it bit by bit, because my local news server
(Hamster) does the fetching of headers and articles and I do not want to
risk loading *other* (than this GG) 'spam', because I keep my groups
'forever' (currently upto some 20 years) and Hamster has no way of
deleting (local cancel) already received articles, so this spam would
forever pollute my local news server (and hence its disk space, backup,
etc.).