Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

SubjectAuthor
* Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?John Doe
+- Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?Clifford Heath
+- Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?Corvid
+* Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?Mike Spencer
|`- Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?Gerry
`* Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?whit3rd
 `* Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?John B.
  `- Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?Clifford Heath

1
Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<sea44v$icp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4805&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4805

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 00:54:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 00:54 UTC

If there is such a thing, what is it called?

In other words, you can sand the inside of a pipe/tube, like for slightly
increasing its inner diameter.

Thanks.

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<1697a8dceb3af543$1$2262039$72dd786b@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4806&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4806

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:50:54 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 01:50 UTC

On 3/8/21 10:54 am, John Doe wrote:
> If there is such a thing, what is it called?
>
> In other words, you can sand the inside of a pipe/tube, like for slightly
> increasing its inner diameter.

Like a cylinder hone?

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<seab5c$10tt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4807&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4807

From: bl...@ckbirds.net (Corvid)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 19:54:35 -0700
 by: Corvid - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 02:54 UTC

On 8/2/21 5:54 PM, John Doe wrote:
> If there is such a thing, what is it called?

It's called "brake shoes".

The "drum" _IS_ the pipe/tube. It fits around the shoes.

inside - shoes
outside - drum

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<875ywndpvh.fsf@bogus.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4808&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4808

From: mds...@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: 03 Aug 2021 03:05:54 -0300
 by: Mike Spencer - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 06:05 UTC

John Doe <always.look@message.header> writes:

> If there is such a thing, what is it called?
>
> In other words, you can sand the inside of a pipe/tube, like for slightly
> increasing its inner diameter.

For smallish tubing, miscegenation between a cylinder hone and a flap
wheel:

Cut a piece of m/s rod of suitable diameter to a suitable length.
Tear off a strip of emery cloth of suitable grit and suitable width
(from a sheet) or a suitable length (from a roll). Tape one end of
the strip to one end of the rod with duct or Gorilla tape. Wrap the
strip around the rod, abrasive surface outward. (Yes, you have to wrap
in the right direction or use a reversible drill when you don't.) Put
the rod in your electric drill, insert the wrap into the tube and spin
it. If the flap becomes worn, tear off a bit and continue.

Variations on this, along with determination of "suitable", may do
what you want.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<5j2kgghvshf4vt3vhs8d9b7ttv9ni9grgq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4810&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4810

From: geraldrm...@yahoo.ca (Gerry)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 23:37:43 -0400
 by: Gerry - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 03:37 UTC

On 03 Aug 2021 03:05:54 -0300, Mike Spencer
<mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere> wrote:

>John Doe <always.look@message.header> writes:
>
>> If there is such a thing, what is it called?
>>
>> In other words, you can sand the inside of a pipe/tube, like for slightly
>> increasing its inner diameter.
>
>For smallish tubing, miscegenation between a cylinder hone and a flap
>wheel:
>
>Cut a piece of m/s rod of suitable diameter to a suitable length.
>Tear off a strip of emery cloth of suitable grit and suitable width
>(from a sheet) or a suitable length (from a roll). Tape one end of
>the strip to one end of the rod with duct or Gorilla tape. Wrap the
>strip around the rod, abrasive surface outward. (Yes, you have to wrap
>in the right direction or use a reversible drill when you don't.) Put
>the rod in your electric drill, insert the wrap into the tube and spin
>it. If the flap becomes worn, tear off a bit and continue.
>
>Variations on this, along with determination of "suitable", may do
>what you want.
Or slit the rod lengthwise and put one edge of the abrasive in the
slit. this is probably a little more secure than tape, but a hell of a
lot more work. - leave it to someone from the right side of the
country to find the easier way!

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<ac11cc49-3be3-4954-8242-a9079511924dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4811&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4811

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 22:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 05:36 UTC

On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 5:54:59 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
> If there is such a thing, what is it called?
>
> In other words, you can sand the inside of a pipe/tube, like for slightly
> increasing its inner diameter.

Rifle cleaning rods with swabs and abrasive grit, or with a bit of sandpaper instead
of a swab.

<http://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/catalog/ar15ck.jpg>

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<9qdkgghhk0nv5g91gnnjop14kj73ql6tsp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4812&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4812

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:46:03 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 06:46 UTC

https://www.amazon.com/cylinder-hone/s?k=cylinder+hone
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Expanding drum for sanding inside of a pipe/tube?

<16981b1e371978db$1$2112880$6edd646a@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4813&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#4813

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 22:44:41 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 12:44 UTC

On 4/8/21 4:46 pm, John B. wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 22:36:51 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 5:54:59 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
>>> If there is such a thing, what is it called?
>>>
>>> In other words, you can sand the inside of a pipe/tube, like for slightly
>>> increasing its inner diameter.
>>
>> Rifle cleaning rods with swabs and abrasive grit, or with a bit of sandpaper instead
>> of a swab.
>>
>> <http://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/catalog/ar15ck.jpg>
>

> https://www.amazon.com/cylinder-hone/s?k=cylinder+hone

Gee I wish I'd thought of suggesting that.

Oh wait, I did.