From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: What Type of Fingerprint Reader is on the Moto G5 Plus?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 13:18:21 -0800
 by: croy - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:18 UTC

I've been hunting around for this info, but haven't come up with much. I know this phone was
introduced in the first half of 2017.

--
croy

Re: What Type of Fingerprint Reader is on the Moto G5 Plus?

<1kr821ysjzwrs$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48343&group=comp.mobile.android#48343

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:21:41 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:21 UTC

croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

> I've been hunting around for this info, but haven't come up with much. I know this phone was
> introduced in the first half of 2017.

Look for parts replacement, like:
https://mpdmobileparts.com/products/motorola-moto-g5-xt1670-speaker

They're selling parts, not manufacturing them. I didn't bother to hunt
down the manufacturers (there could be more than one). You could try
calling the part sellers to find out who are their suppliers.

Obviously there is no light shone onto your finger to scan its ridges.
Smartphones don't use optical scanners nor ultrasonic scanners. Thermal
scanners would have problems measuring in the environs under which
smartphones are used, like sub-zero temperatures. That leave
capacitance scanning. Multiple technologies are not precluded: optical
and capacitance can be compined as well as adding ultrasonics. However,
look at the part that goes into your phone. I see no means to use
optical scanning. I doubt ultrasonic is incorporated. I cannot be
positive because I have not researched every phone ever made, but I
think ultrasonic scanners are in those phone models where the
fingerprint scanner is embedded in the display (screen), like the iQOO 9
Pro which was release Jan 2022; see:

https://www.androidpolice.com/iqoo-9-pro-fingerprint-sensor/

The Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+ have ultrasonic scanners in their
screens. Those were released back in March 2019. From the scanner part
that I found for your phone, nope, your c.2016 phone just has a
capacitance scanner. You have a front-mounted scanner, not an in-screen
scanner.

Re: What Type of Fingerprint Reader is on the Moto G5 Plus?

<ulanme$3r5lh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48345&group=comp.mobile.android#48345

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 22:43 UTC

On 12/12/23 3:21 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been hunting around for this info, but haven't come up with much. I know this phone was
>> introduced in the first half of 2017.
>
>Look for parts replacement, like:
>https://mpdmobileparts.com/products/motorola-moto-g5-xt1670-speaker
>
>They're selling parts, not manufacturing them. I didn't bother to hunt
>down the manufacturers (there could be more than one). You could try
>calling the part sellers to find out who are their suppliers.
>
>Obviously there is no light shone onto your finger to scan its ridges.
>Smartphones don't use optical scanners nor ultrasonic scanners. Thermal
>scanners would have problems measuring in the environs under which
>smartphones are used, like sub-zero temperatures. That leave
>capacitance scanning. Multiple technologies are not precluded: optical
>and capacitance can be compined as well as adding ultrasonics. However,
>look at the part that goes into your phone. I see no means to use
>optical scanning. I doubt ultrasonic is incorporated. I cannot be
>positive because I have not researched every phone ever made, but I
>think ultrasonic scanners are in those phone models where the
>fingerprint scanner is embedded in the display (screen), like the iQOO 9
>Pro which was release Jan 2022; see:
>
>https://www.androidpolice.com/iqoo-9-pro-fingerprint-sensor/

>The Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+ have ultrasonic scanners in their
>screens. Those were released back in March 2019.

I bought my S10+ in 9/19. I could never get the scanner to work right. It
always took several tries, a PITA and very disappointing. The pin was
quicker and I have been using it ever since...

From the scanner part
>that I found for your phone, nope, your c.2016 phone just has a
>capacitance scanner. You have a front-mounted scanner, not an in-screen
>scanner.

Re: What Type of Fingerprint Reader is on the Moto G5 Plus?

<qhnjnithrph2gguqffg9oovj2hvhf5iaju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48381&group=comp.mobile.android#48381

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:41:07 -0800
 by: croy - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:41 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:21:41 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Look for parts replacement, like:
>https://mpdmobileparts.com/products/motorola-moto-g5-xt1670-speaker
>
>They're selling parts, not manufacturing them. I didn't bother to hunt
>down the manufacturers (there could be more than one). You could try
>calling the part sellers to find out who are their suppliers.
>
>Obviously there is no light shone onto your finger to scan its ridges.
>Smartphones don't use optical scanners nor ultrasonic scanners. Thermal
>scanners would have problems measuring in the environs under which
>smartphones are used, like sub-zero temperatures. That leave
>capacitance scanning. Multiple technologies are not precluded: optical
>and capacitance can be compined as well as adding ultrasonics. However,
>look at the part that goes into your phone. I see no means to use
>optical scanning. I doubt ultrasonic is incorporated. I cannot be
>positive because I have not researched every phone ever made, but I
>think ultrasonic scanners are in those phone models where the
>fingerprint scanner is embedded in the display (screen), like the iQOO 9
>Pro which was release Jan 2022; see:
>
>https://www.androidpolice.com/iqoo-9-pro-fingerprint-sensor/
>
>The Samsung Galaxy S10 and S10+ have ultrasonic scanners in their
>screens. Those were released back in March 2019. From the scanner part
>that I found for your phone, nope, your c.2016 phone just has a
>capacitance scanner. You have a front-mounted scanner, not an in-screen
>scanner.

Thanks VanguardLH! Good stuff.

--
croy

Re: What Type of Fingerprint Reader is on the Moto G5 Plus?

<cunjni5855qbh5822clv00b7pahkg4cc38@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48382&group=comp.mobile.android#48382

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:48:51 -0800
 by: croy - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:48 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:21:41 -0600, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>From the scanner part
>that I found for your phone, nope, your c.2016 phone just has a
>capacitance scanner. You have a front-mounted scanner, not an in-screen
>scanner.

I don't see the word "capacitance" (or any form of it) on that page. I'm not doubting your
statement, in fact I'm guessing that you are correct, just wondering how you found out.

Thanks again,

--
croy

Re: What Type of Fingerprint Reader is on the Moto G5 Plus?

<mog7kz6zx7kr$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48399&group=comp.mobile.android#48399

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:08:19 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:08 UTC

croy <croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> From the scanner part that I found for your phone, nope, your c.2016
>> phone just has a capacitance scanner. You have a front-mounted
>> scanner, not an in-screen scanner.
>
> I don't see the word "capacitance" (or any form of it) on that page. I'm not doubting your
> statement, in fact I'm guessing that you are correct, just wondering how you found out.

An optical reader would need a light (LED) to then scan the ridges on
your finger. Ultrasonic scanners would require power to buzz the
reader. I don't see any power to the scanner for the Moto G5.

You could ask the parts seller what type of scanner they are selling, or
find out who is their supplier, and then ask the supplier.