"The medium is the massage." -- Crazy Nigel

computers / comp.mobile.android / Date in status bar

SubjectAuthor
* Date in status barJeff Layman
+* Re: Date in status barStefan Ram
|+* Re: Date in status barWally J
||+* Re: Date in status barJeff Layman
|||+* Re: Date in status barCarlos E.R.
|||`- Re: Date in status barJeff Layman
||`- Re: Date in status barAlan
|`- Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
+- Re: Date in status barmicky
+- Re: Date in status barAJL
+* Re: Date in status barVanguardLH
|`* Re: Date in status barAJL
| `* Re: Date in status barAndy Burns
|  `* Re: Date in status barAJL
|   +* Re: Date in status barStefan Ram
|   |`- Re: Date in status barAJL
|   `* Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|    `* Re: Date in status barAJL
|     +* Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|     |+* Re: Date in status barAJL
|     ||`- Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|     |`- Re: Date in status barJörg Lorenz
|     +- Re: Date in status barFrank Slootweg
|     `* Re: Date in status barStefan Ram
|      `- Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
+* Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|`* Re: Date in status barAJL
| +* Re: Date in status barStefan Ram
| |+* Re: Date in status barAJL
| ||`* Re: Date in status barWally J
| || `- Re: Date in status barAlan
| |`* Re: Date in status barAJL
| | `* Re: Date in status barWally J
| |  `* Re: Date in status barAJL
| |   `* Re: Date in status barWally J
| |    +- Re: Date in status barAJL
| |    `- Re: Date in status barAlan
| `* Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|  `* Re: Date in status barAJL
|   `* Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|    `* Re: Date in status barAJL
|     `* Re: Date in status barArno Welzel
|      `* Re: Date in status barCarlos E.R.
|       `- Re: Date in status barAJL
`* Re: Date in status barmicky
 `- Re: Date in status barAJL

Pages:123
Date in status bar

<ulc3r7$457t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48366&group=comp.mobile.android#48366

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Date in status bar
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:16:55 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:16 UTC

Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
problem having the time, but the date seems only available through the
use of an app. Even then it doesn't appear to work for all phones, or
may partly work (day of the week and date of month, but no month shown,
or no year shown), and then might work for a while but an Android OS
update (or manufacturer's update) messes it up.

The "best" app appears to be DateBar, but it doesn't work properly in my
Xiaomi Note 10. The month display is iffy, and trying to customise the
month default from two letters to three doesn't work in the status bar
(is "Ju" June or July?).

Do any phone makes have the date available in the status bar by default?

--

Jeff

Re: Date in status bar

<time-20231213124623@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48367&group=comp.mobile.android#48367

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Date in status bar
Date: 13 Dec 2023 11:46:40 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:46 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes:
>Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
>problem having the time

Unless you like to have seconds with your time!

Re: Date in status bar

<ulch5e$3ds3e$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48371&group=comp.mobile.android#48371

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:04:15 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:04 UTC

Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote

> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
>>problem having the time
>
> Unless you like to have seconds with your time!

Interesting question. On my Galaxy (Android 13), when I want the date, or
the day of the week, I just tap the side button to make it sleep and tap it
again to awake it (I don't use silly biometrics or a pin as I don't live in
a slum so I'm not afraid of anyone snatching my phone out of my hands), and
it shows the day of the week, the date and the time (in hours & minutes).
<https://i.postimg.cc/GmnXTgxp/beeperapp.jpg>

But it's an interesting question as I had never thought about it before in
a systematic way. My default calendar app (Etar) shows the day of the week
and the date, but not the time but my clock app (Clock You) shows the day
of the week, the time (with seconds) but not the date.

*Clock You* Privacy focused open source clock app
<https://f-droid.org/packages/com.bnyro.clock/>
<https://github.com/you-apps/ClockYou>
<https://you-apps.net/>
*Etar* OpenSource Calendar
<https://f-droid.org/packages/ws.xsoh.etar/>
<https://github.com/Etar-Group/Etar-Calendar>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ws.xsoh.etar>

The default Samsung clock, which I had never deleted, does the same as
"Clock You" does, but with the added bonus of the time zone (if you look in
the "World Clock" tab where you can have it report the time anywhere).

*Clock* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
free,adfree,*FREE OF GSF SPYWARE*,4.1,star,243K reviews,1B+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.clockpackage>

Running the basic obligatory Google Play Store search on Windows shows a
few apps that appear to put the clock into the status bar though.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=status%20bar%20clock&c=apps>

A search in the Skyica App Finder shows 96 results when I flip the switch
for a free ad-free status bar clock app, which drops to 88 if I ad the
switch to filter out those apps with in-app purchases, and sorted by a 4.0
or better rating drops that to 26 apps, and then sorting that to at least
10K ratings drops it down to a manageable 3 apps, the first being this:
*PowerLine: status bar meters* by Petr N�levka (Urbandroid)
free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,4.7star,16.1K reviews,500K+Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.inline>

I installed it but haven't played with it and I suggest the OP try it to
see if that app serves his purpose or not & let the rest of us in on it.
--
Usenet is a way to not only help others, but to help them help themselves.

Re: Date in status bar

<sdnjnida9eavjb2bjahurd75jr6lbvmq95@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48380&group=comp.mobile.android#48380

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:40:15 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:40 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:16:55 +0000, Jeff Layman
<Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
>problem having the time, but the date seems only available through the
>use of an app. Even then it doesn't appear to work for all phones, or
>may partly work (day of the week and date of month, but no month shown,
>or no year shown), and then might work for a while but an Android OS
>update (or manufacturer's update) messes it up.
>
>The "best" app appears to be DateBar, but it doesn't work properly in my
>Xiaomi Note 10. The month display is iffy, and trying to customise the
>month default from two letters to three doesn't work in the status bar
>(is "Ju" June or July?).
>
>Do any phone makes have the date available in the status bar by default?

Did you know that Xiami has its own discussion groups? It may be bad
that they are divided by phone model, since all of my problems seem
likely to span many models. I don't know if they have a way to see
posts about other models that apply to one's own, but I doubt it. It
seems difficult technically. so I haven't used the groups much, but you
could still ask there.

Re: Date in status bar

<ulcuf5$ujkc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48390&group=comp.mobile.android#48390

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:51:17 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:51 UTC

On 13/12/2023 15:04, Wally J wrote:
> Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote
>
>> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>> Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
>>> problem having the time
>>
>> Unless you like to have seconds with your time!
>
> Interesting question. On my Galaxy (Android 13), when I want the date, or
> the day of the week, I just tap the side button to make it sleep and tap it
> again to awake it (I don't use silly biometrics or a pin as I don't live in
> a slum so I'm not afraid of anyone snatching my phone out of my hands), and
> it shows the day of the week, the date and the time (in hours & minutes).
> <https://i.postimg.cc/GmnXTgxp/beeperapp.jpg>

I can do that with my phone too, but it seems two unnecessary steps.
Surely time and date are very basic OS parameters and should be easily
accessible on the status bar. Why just have the time but not the date?
It would be like having a file manager which only showed the time a file
was created or modified, and not the date. Out of interest, does the
date appear on an iPhone status bar (assuming it has one - or whatever
Apple call it)?

> But it's an interesting question as I had never thought about it before in
> a systematic way. My default calendar app (Etar) shows the day of the week
> and the date, but not the time but my clock app (Clock You) shows the day
> of the week, the time (with seconds) but not the date.
>
> *Clock You* Privacy focused open source clock app
> <https://f-droid.org/packages/com.bnyro.clock/>
> <https://github.com/you-apps/ClockYou>
> <https://you-apps.net/>
>
> *Etar* OpenSource Calendar
> <https://f-droid.org/packages/ws.xsoh.etar/>
> <https://github.com/Etar-Group/Etar-Calendar>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ws.xsoh.etar>
>
> The default Samsung clock, which I had never deleted, does the same as
> "Clock You" does, but with the added bonus of the time zone (if you look in
> the "World Clock" tab where you can have it report the time anywhere).
>
> *Clock* by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
> free,adfree,*FREE OF GSF SPYWARE*,4.1,star,243K reviews,1B+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.clockpackage>
>
> Running the basic obligatory Google Play Store search on Windows shows a
> few apps that appear to put the clock into the status bar though.
> <https://play.google.com/store/search?q=status%20bar%20clock&c=apps>
>
> A search in the Skyica App Finder shows 96 results when I flip the switch
> for a free ad-free status bar clock app, which drops to 88 if I ad the
> switch to filter out those apps with in-app purchases, and sorted by a 4.0
> or better rating drops that to 26 apps, and then sorting that to at least
> 10K ratings drops it down to a manageable 3 apps, the first being this:
> *PowerLine: status bar meters* by Petr Nálevka (Urbandroid)
> free,adfree,gsf?,inappfree,4.7star,16.1K reviews,500K+Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.inline>
>
> I installed it but haven't played with it and I suggest the OP try it to
> see if that app serves his purpose or not & let the rest of us in on it.

I tried it but it didn't do anything concerning the date as far as I
could see. Oddly, after uninstalling it the accessibility button was
still on the screen and still worked! I checked in "Battery" to see if
the app was still doing anything but it wasn't there, and when I
returned to the main screen in had disappeared. I checked with "App
Manager" and it confirmed PowerLine was absent.

I thought it might be possible to touch the time on the status bar, and
that would toggle to the date, but no such luck. I found that the
easiest way to access it is to just swipe down on any screen, and then
swipe back up to return to the screen I was on.

--

Jeff

Re: Date in status bar

<uld407$105td$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48397&group=comp.mobile.android#48397

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:25:42 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 20:25 UTC

On 12/13/2023 4:16 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

> The "best" [date status bar] app appears to be DateBar,

DateBar works great FOR ME on all my Android/Chrome OS toys.

> but it doesn't work properly in my Xiaomi Note 10. The month display
> is iffy,

About the only problem I've had is that a new app's notifications
will sometimes squeeze some of the DateBar characters off the status
bar. I just turn off the offending app's notifications and problem
solved. If it's an important notification I don't want to turn off then
I just leave it be because the DateBar characters come right back after
the notification is read and wiped.

> and trying to customise the month default from two letters to three
> doesn't work in the status bar (is "Ju" June or July?).

I just stick with 2 month letters. It's easy to understand and takes
less status bar room. That helps on small devices like a phone when
there's not much room to begin with. YMMV of course...

Re: Date in status bar

<1g4r4ty2a5mx1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48398&group=comp.mobile.android#48398

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:04:06 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:04 UTC

Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
> problem having the time, but the date seems only available through the
> use of an app. Even then it doesn't appear to work for all phones, or
> may partly work (day of the week and date of month, but no month shown,
> or no year shown), and then might work for a while but an Android OS
> update (or manufacturer's update) messes it up.
>
> The "best" app appears to be DateBar, but it doesn't work properly in my
> Xiaomi Note 10. The month display is iffy, and trying to customise the
> month default from two letters to three doesn't work in the status bar
> (is "Ju" June or July?).
>
> Do any phone makes have the date available in the status bar by default?

For me and my LG V20 (c.2016), the day of week, day number, and time
appear in the 2nd screen (a toolbar at the top of the screen) when the
phone is locked. When unlocked, the 2nd screen shows the shortcuts I
added to it (it has 3 parts, so you scroll to see each part), but the
date disappears. However, when unlocked, I can see the main screen
which shows a weather widget that shows time, day-of-week, month, day
number along with the current temperature and cloud conditions in my
current region, and forecasts for the next 3 days at the bottom in a
row. I've not needed another date app, but if I didn't want to see the
weather widget then I could add another app that includes a widget to
keep on the screen.

When I look at the available widgets I could add to the screen (so they
always show instead of having to open an app), there are Clock widgets
some of which include time, day of week, moneh, and day number. Look at
what widgets are available on your phone that you can add to a screen.
Widgets are always shown. No need to open an app to see them. As I
recall, widgets only appear on one screen. If you only have one (main)
screen then that is where the widget is shown. If have multiple
screens, you can drag it to whichever one you want. For example, maybe
your main screen is loaded with app shortcuts, so there's no room for
the widget, so put it on another screen which you swipe to see.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=xiaomi+note+10+widgets

Re: Date in status bar

<ulddfc$11rn5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48404&group=comp.mobile.android#48404

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:07:23 -0700
 by: AJL - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 23:07 UTC

On 12/13/2023 2:04 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> The "best" app appears to be DateBar,

> When I look at the available widgets I could add to the screen (so
> they always show instead of having to open an app), there are Clock
> widgets some of which include time, day of week, moneh, and day
> number.

The trouble with a home screen date widget FOR ME is that it's not
available when I need it. For instance when answering an email in Gmail
and I need but forgot the date. With DateBar I just look up and read the
status bar for the date and keep typing. No need to switch screens to
see a widget.

BTW I just checked my latest New Bison Android tablet toy and for all
the apps I've installed so far (20 or so) all show the DateBar day/date
when open. So when I forget what day it is (happens more often than I
like) all I have to do is look up...

BTW2 My Chrome tablet natively shows the month/date in its bottom right
app/status line but NOT the day. I was able to configure DateBar to put
just the day next to the already existing month/date. Impressive app...

Re: Date in status bar

<ulddm4$11ocp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48405&group=comp.mobile.android#48405

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 15:10:58 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 23:10 UTC

On 2023-12-13 07:04, Wally J wrote:
> Stefan Ram <ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote
>
>> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes:
>>> Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
>>> problem having the time
>>
>> Unless you like to have seconds with your time!
>
> Interesting question. On my Galaxy (Android 13), when I want the date, or
> the day of the week, I just tap the side button to make it sleep and tap it
> again to awake it (I don't use silly biometrics or a pin as I don't live in
> a slum so I'm not afraid of anyone snatching my phone out of my hands)

I'm delighted to know that you're an asshole in all aspects of your
personality

Re: Date in status bar

<ku05hnF7vqgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48420&group=comp.mobile.android#48420

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:00:07 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:00 UTC

Stefan Ram, 2023-12-13 12:46:

> Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> writes:
>> Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
>> problem having the time
>
> Unless you like to have seconds with your time!

Well - updating something every second needs more energy than only once
every minute. That's the main reason why the status bar does not contain
time with seconds. If you need the time with seconds you can always use
a clock app. Even the default clock app in the Pixel phones allows to
show seconds.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Date in status bar

<ku05nvF7vqgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48421&group=comp.mobile.android#48421

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:03:27 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:03 UTC

Jeff Layman, 2023-12-13 12:16:

> Why is this apparently simple thing so difficult to accomplish? It's no
> problem having the time, but the date seems only available through the
> use of an app. Even then it doesn't appear to work for all phones, or
> may partly work (day of the week and date of month, but no month shown,
> or no year shown), and then might work for a while but an Android OS
> update (or manufacturer's update) messes it up.
>
> The "best" app appears to be DateBar, but it doesn't work properly in my
> Xiaomi Note 10. The month display is iffy, and trying to customise the
> month default from two letters to three doesn't work in the status bar
> (is "Ju" June or July?).
>
> Do any phone makes have the date available in the status bar by default?

I don't know any. And the reason is most likely missing space for it.
Modern phones have either a notch or punch out front camera, so the
available space for the status bar is limited already. Having the date
there beside the time like "12:01 2023-12-14" or even with names like
"12:01 2023 Dec 14" will leave less room for notification icons.

And most people know very well what date as it is displayed on the lock
screen already.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Date in status bar

<ku0659F585jU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48422&group=comp.mobile.android#48422

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:10:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:10 UTC

AJL wrote:

> The trouble with a home screen date widget FOR ME is that it's not
> available when I need it. For instance when answering an email in Gmail
> and I need but forgot the date. With DateBar I just look up and read the
> status bar for the date and keep typing. No need to switch screens to
> see a widget.

Can't you just pull down the notification shade for a second to see the
date, then let it go and it will spring away again?

Re: Date in status bar

<ulf607$1e8ga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48430&group=comp.mobile.android#48430

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:12:05 -0700
 by: AJL - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:12 UTC

On 12/14/2023 4:03 AM, Arno Welzel wrote:

> Modern phones have either a notch or punch out front camera,

Even my not so modern 4+ year old Galaxy S10+ has such a camera hole on
the status bar.

> so the available space for the status bar is limited already.

True. But even with DateBar's info showing I have about a quarter of the
status bar still blank. YMMV. Further (on my phone, again YMMV) if a
notification needs the space it knocks DateBar off the status bar but it
comes right back after the notification is wiped.

> Having the date there beside the time like "12:01 2023-12-14" or
> even with names like "12:01 2023 Dec 14" will leave less room for
> notification icons.

I have my phone programmed to say: "Th De 14". But there are several
other programming options that while less abbreviated do take more
status bar space. I use those on my (larger status bar) tablets...

> And most people know very well what date as it is displayed on the
> lock screen already.

It's not very practical to go back to the lock screen when using an app...

Re: Date in status bar

<ulf609$1e8ga$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48431&group=comp.mobile.android#48431

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 08:12:08 -0700

On 12/14/2023 4:10 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> AJL wrote:
>
>> The trouble with a home screen date widget FOR ME is that it's not
>> available when I need it. For instance when answering an email in
>> Gmail and I need but forgot the date. With DateBar I just look up
>> and read the status bar for the date and keep typing. No need to
>> switch screens to see a widget.
>
> Can't you just pull down the notification shade for a second to see
> the date, then let it go and it will spring away again?

I can but MY phone doesn't spring back. YMMV. So let's do a lazy
analysis. Using the pull down shade requires I make 2 screen moves, down
and back. Likewise using my old home screen day/date widget requires 2
moves, home button to read the widget, and the app button to get back.
Now lets use DateBar. Hey, no moves...

Perhaps a not so perfect analogy: While watching TV I wonder the time. I
just look up and there is the clock on the wall giving me the time at a
glance. But with no clock my next move would be to grab my phone and
open the lock screen. 2 moves (cause I have it set to double tap to
open)... ;-)

Yep. The height of laziness I agree. But that's me by definition...

BTW While testing your pull down suggestion on my phone I discovered
that DateBar actually spells it out there, I guess in case you can't
understand the status bar? It says quote:

Th Thursday 8:02 AM
De December 8:02 AM
14 /31 8:02 AM

And if you touch one, the DateBar app opens for more programming.

Ain't that neat (I think)... :-/

Re: Date in status bar

<clock-20231214163227@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48434&group=comp.mobile.android#48434

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 14 Dec 2023 15:34:56 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:34 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> writes:
>I have my phone programmed to say: "Th De 14". But there are several

My Windows task bar clock (at the bottom right of the screen),
in bold large black lettering:

5:33:28 348 Thu 2023-12-14 16:26:26

. (uptime, day of the year, day of the week, date, and time)

(updated once a second)

(But using additional software, not just Windows.)

(This program allows to configure text displayed information
using a format string.)

(Actually, two different pieces of software [by two different
manufacturers] work together to create this display.)

Re: Date in status bar

<time-20231214164057@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48435&group=comp.mobile.android#48435

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 14 Dec 2023 15:41:47 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:41 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> writes:
>Perhaps a not so perfect analogy: While watching TV I wonder the time. I
>just look up and there is the clock on the wall giving me the time at a
>glance. But with no clock my next move would be to grab my phone and
>open the lock screen. 2 moves (cause I have it set to double tap to
>open)... ;-)

I am often reading PDF files on my Android mobile device using
software by Adobe. But this software will hide the status bar.

Often, when reading, I wonder about the time, and I even have
placed an analog clock on the shelf, so that I can see the
time without hassle by moving the eyes just a few degrees.

It would be nice if the PDF reader would just leave the status
bar alone, so that I can easily see the time while reading!

(Other PDF readers do this, but then have other problems.)

Re: Date in status bar

<ulf9u6$1et72$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48437&group=comp.mobile.android#48437

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:19:16 -0700
 by: AJL - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:19 UTC

On 12/14/2023 8:41 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> writes:
>> Perhaps a not so perfect analogy: While watching TV I wonder the
>> time. I just look up and there is the clock on the wall giving me
>> the time at a glance. But with no clock my next move would be to
>> grab my phone and open the lock screen. 2 moves (cause I have it
>> set to double tap to open)... ;-)
>
> I am often reading PDF files on my Android mobile device using
> software by Adobe. But this software will hide the status bar.

Yup. Some apps do block the status bar. Both my ebook readers (Kindle
and Play Books) do while viewing the reading pages for example.
Fortunately the majority of my apps don't...

> Often, when reading, I wonder about the time, and I even have placed
> an analog clock on the shelf, so that I can see the time without
> hassle by moving the eyes just a few degrees.

Yep. But I'm a bit more modern. I have one of my old Amazon Fire tablets
set up to digitally show the time. That's it's only retirement duty. And
unlike your analog clock I can see it in the dark (unless I can't find
my glasses)... ;-)

> It would be nice if the PDF reader would just leave the status bar
> alone, so that I can easily see the time while reading!

Me too...

> (Other PDF readers do this, but then have other problems.)

Re: Date in status bar

<ulf9u8$1et72$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48438&group=comp.mobile.android#48438

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:19:20 -0700

On 12/14/2023 8:34 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> writes:
>> I have my phone programmed to say: "Th De 14". But there are
>> several
>
> My Windows task bar clock (at the bottom right of the screen), in
> bold large black lettering:
>
> 5:33:28 348 Thu 2023-12-14 16:26:26

My Windows LT (I'm currently posting with) says: 8:55 AM 12/14/2023.
Unfortunately no day shown. I have to (gasp) hold my mouse over the date
to get the day. The horror...

> . (uptime, day of the year, day of the week, date, and time)
>
> (updated once a second)
>
> (But using additional software, not just Windows.)
>
> (This program allows to configure text displayed information using a
> format string.)
>
> (Actually, two different pieces of software [by two different
> manufacturers] work together to create this display.)

Sounds neat...

Re: Date in status bar

<ulfcar$3n2jk$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48440&group=comp.mobile.android#48440

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 13:00:11 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:00 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

>> (This program allows to configure text displayed information using a
>> format string.)
>>
>> (Actually, two different pieces of software [by two different
>> manufacturers] work together to create this display.)
>
> Sounds neat...

While we're on the subject...

Given my system time is randomized every few minutes for privacy, I use
"DS Clock" on the Windows taskbar to display the real time in real time.
<https://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/update.html>

Mine shows currently "ThuDec14" N/L [8:53AM]" using Segoe UI (9pt) bold.
The format string is "dddMMMdd|[#085]" & the color is 160/0/240 (hsl).
Synchronization is set to one of the many clock servers around the world.

It can display the date:time to milliseconds (as of version 5.0 long ago).

Re: Date in status bar

<ulfia1$1gc02$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48442&group=comp.mobile.android#48442

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:42:07 -0800
 by: Alan - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:42 UTC

On 2023-12-14 09:00, Wally J wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote
>
>>> (This program allows to configure text displayed information using a
>>> format string.)
>>>
>>> (Actually, two different pieces of software [by two different
>>> manufacturers] work together to create this display.)
>>
>> Sounds neat...
>
> While we're on the subject...
>
> Given my system time is randomized every few minutes for privacy, I use
> "DS Clock" on the Windows taskbar to display the real time in real time.
> <https://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/update.html>

How does randomizing your system time enhance your PRIVACY?

Re: Date in status bar

<ulft8r$1i5v5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48450&group=comp.mobile.android#48450

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 14:49:14 -0700
 by: AJL - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 21:49 UTC

On 12/14/2023 8:34 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:

> My Windows task bar clock (at the bottom right of the screen), in
> bold large black lettering:
>
> 5:33:28 348 Thu 2023-12-14 16:26:26

> (Actually, two different pieces of software [by two different
> manufacturers] work together to create this display.)

You got me thinking: Why can't I have a complete Windows Taskbar date
display similar to yours?

So I went to the MS store and downloaded the app 'ElevenClock'.

Now my Taskbar shows:

2:42 PM
Thursday
12/14/2023

Now no more extra hovering just to help me remember what day it is... ;)

Re: Date in status bar

<ulfu98$3o07f$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48452&group=comp.mobile.android#48452

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:06:32 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:06 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

> You got me thinking: Why can't I have a complete Windows Taskbar date
> display similar to yours?
>
> So I went to the MS store and downloaded the app 'ElevenClock'.
>
> Now my Taskbar shows:
>
> 2:42 PM
> Thursday
> 12/14/2023
>
> Now no more extra hovering just to help me remember what day it is... ;)

Somewhere on Usenet I posted a tutorial on all the taskbar clock displays.
<https://i.postimg.cc/3r42Dnz6/dsclock05.jpg>

As you noticed, there are many solutions for displaying taskbar timedate:
<https://i.postimg.cc/hGrL20ZK/dsclock04.jpg

It's especially useful when you randomize your system clock to make it
slightly more difficult for fingerprinters to know your real time zone.
<https://i.postimg.cc/RVsHGmnG/dsclock.jpg
<https://i.postimg.cc/sD6sDsgw/dsclock02.jpg
<https://i.postimg.cc/mrCGrsVY/dsclock03.jpg
--
Usenet is where people share ideas and use models and suggest new programs.

Re: Date in status bar

<ulfvn8$1ijnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48454&group=comp.mobile.android#48454

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 15:31:02 -0700
 by: AJL - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:31 UTC

On 12/14/2023 3:06 PM, Wally J wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

>> I went to the MS store and downloaded the app 'ElevenClock'.
>>
>> Now my Taskbar shows:
>>
>> 2:42 PM Thursday 12/14/2023
>>
>> Now no more extra hovering just to help me remember what day it
>> is... ;)
>
> Somewhere on Usenet I posted a tutorial on all the taskbar clock
> displays. <https://i.postimg.cc/3r42Dnz6/dsclock05.jpg>
>
> As you noticed, there are many solutions for displaying taskbar
> timedate: <https://i.postimg.cc/hGrL20ZK/dsclock04.jpg
>
> It's especially useful when you randomize your system clock to make
> it slightly more difficult for fingerprinters to know your real time
> zone. <https://i.postimg.cc/RVsHGmnG/dsclock.jpg
> <https://i.postimg.cc/sD6sDsgw/dsclock02.jpg
> <https://i.postimg.cc/mrCGrsVY/dsclock03.jpg

As you know I was assimilated (from a Star Trek episode) long ago. So I
really don't worry much about whose server my play data resides or what
zombies are after me. There's nothing much of any value on any of my
play toys (including this Windows laptop) anyway. I do keep ONE device
for the important stuff and of course never play on it. That's my idea
of security. Perhaps not CIA proof but good enough for me. Anyway thanks
for the warning and info...

Re: Date in status bar

<ulg2f9$3o71e$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48458&group=comp.mobile.android#48458

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:18:01 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:18 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

> As you know I was assimilated (from a Star Trek episode) long ago. So I
> really don't worry much about whose server my play data resides or what
> zombies are after me. There's nothing much of any value on any of my
> play toys (including this Windows laptop) anyway. I do keep ONE device
> for the important stuff and of course never play on it. That's my idea
> of security. Perhaps not CIA proof but good enough for me. Anyway thanks
> for the warning and info...

I have no problem with your sentiments as feelings are always valid.

You may not know it, but one of my degrees is in microbiology, where I was
taught a thing or two about personal hygiene, which relates to privacy.

There are only two truths to privacy, which are the same two truths for
personal hygiene, one of which is the more ignorant someone is of it, the
less they'll have it and the other is, for those in the know, is that
personal hygiene (like privacy) is something you do all day, every day.

They're both lots of little things that add up to the desired end result.
But you have to know what they are in order to have it.

People who look at you funily' when you wash your hands after you pee...
are the same people who look at you funily' when you practice privacy too.

Re: Date in status bar

<ulgdpm$1ocev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48462&group=comp.mobile.android#48462

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:31:18 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 02:31 UTC

On 12/14/2023 4:18 PM, Wally J wrote:
> AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote

>> As you know I was assimilated (from a Star Trek episode) long ago.
>> So I really don't worry much about whose server my play data
>> resides or what zombies are after me.

> There are only two truths to privacy,

Agreed. There's (1) me and (2) fake me (AJL).

Since AJL is fictional (and assimilated) he doesn't care about privacy.
So no need to mess with clocks on the toys he uses...

> People who look at you funily' when you wash your hands after you
> pee...

Since AJL is fictional he doesn't wash his hands after peeing since
he doesn't have a dick.

> are the same people who look at you funily' when you practice
> privacy too.

AJL has several accounts (including this Windows MS account and of
course a few Google accounts for his Android and Chromebook toys) to
play from. And of course a few aliases. But other than that I wouldn't
call AJL all that paranoid... 8-O

Meanwhile his handler sits back and doesn't really worry all that much
about security since he seldom goes anywhere unclothed anyway...