UFOs are for real: the Air Force doesn't exist.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Bicycle related subjects.

SubjectAuthor
* Bicycle related subjects.Tom Kunich
`* Re: Bicycle related subjects.Lou Holtman
 `* Re: Bicycle related subjects.Tom Kunich
  `* Re: Bicycle related subjects.Lou Holtman
   `* Re: Bicycle related subjects.Tom Kunich
    `* Re: Bicycle related subjects.Lou Holtman
     `* Re: Bicycle related subjects.AMuzi
      `- Re: Bicycle related subjects.Lou Holtman

1
Bicycle related subjects.

<7cee86d2-4b80-4633-99e0-48485c1fb999n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48698&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48698

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 10:52:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Bicycle related subjects.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 18:52 UTC

There seems to be fewer and fewer people discussing bicycle related subjects. That is pretty obviously the fault of me continuing to interact with the four people who are only on this group to argue about anything and everything.

I have noticed that since I have stopped total interaction with them completely, it appears that the group will take some time to return to its normal posting volume.

But I'm sure it will. Originally the volume was largely because of Jobst Brant who while a very good cyclist was rather opinionated on matters of bicycling that were in my opinion wrong He had supporters that would gladly take stupid chances with their own lives because Jobst approved of it. Trying to ride very fast on off-camber off-road paths on the peninsula using 21 or 22 mm tires was one of the things that we would get in arguments over.

And you didn't argue with Jobst without everyone and his horse trying to support Jobst, except the very few posters with good sense. Not that they weren't common enough, but they were smart enough not to get involved after Jobst posted the address of my mother who then had stones and crap thrown on her porch. This was the sort of people that Jobst attracted.

So hopefully we can get a group that is cycling oriented and not those part of a personality cult. The one person I thought could get a following if small was Jay, but as any successful lawyer he was well spoken so that is to be expected.

Jobst was a mechanical engineer for HP if memory serves and I often wondered what became of his bicycle. I would like to post pictures of that piece of crap he rode to show that Jobst's riding ability was entirely his and certainly wasn't aided in any capacity by that 68 mm piece of garbage that flexed more than a rubber band.

He was certainly a good rider, but I didn't like him being followed by fawning people with a tenth of his ability taking his advice on idiot ideas such as 47/21 being a good climbing gear. I would be willing to bet that that sort of advice lost cycling more members than old age and heart problems put together.

Today I have been completely Froome-igated and ride very low gears at high RPM. Well, high RPM for a 77 year old.

So don't be afraid to talk about any bicycle related subject including my comments about covid and its effects on riding.

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<c5d40126-c972-459e-a958-481a4852044bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48699&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48699

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 12:36:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Bicycle related subjects.
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:36 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 7:52:26 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> There seems to be fewer and fewer people discussing bicycle related subjects. That is pretty obviously the fault of me continuing to interact with the four people who are only on this group to argue about anything and everything.
>
> I have noticed that since I have stopped total interaction with them completely, it appears that the group will take some time to return to its normal posting volume.
>
> But I'm sure it will. Originally the volume was largely because of Jobst Brant who while a very good cyclist was rather opinionated on matters of bicycling that were in my opinion wrong He had supporters that would gladly take stupid chances with their own lives because Jobst approved of it. Trying to ride very fast on off-camber off-road paths on the peninsula using 21 or 22 mm tires was one of the things that we would get in arguments over.
>
> And you didn't argue with Jobst without everyone and his horse trying to support Jobst, except the very few posters with good sense. Not that they weren't common enough, but they were smart enough not to get involved after Jobst posted the address of my mother who then had stones and crap thrown on her porch. This was the sort of people that Jobst attracted.
>
> So hopefully we can get a group that is cycling oriented and not those part of a personality cult. The one person I thought could get a following if small was Jay, but as any successful lawyer he was well spoken so that is to be expected.
>
> Jobst was a mechanical engineer for HP if memory serves and I often wondered what became of his bicycle. I would like to post pictures of that piece of crap he rode to show that Jobst's riding ability was entirely his and certainly wasn't aided in any capacity by that 68 mm piece of garbage that flexed more than a rubber band.
>
> He was certainly a good rider, but I didn't like him being followed by fawning people with a tenth of his ability taking his advice on idiot ideas such as 47/21 being a good climbing gear. I would be willing to bet that that sort of advice lost cycling more members than old age and heart problems put together.
>
> Today I have been completely Froome-igated and ride very low gears at high RPM. Well, high RPM for a 77 year old.
>
> So don't be afraid to talk about any bicycle related subject including my comments about covid and its effects on riding.

During my off road ride yesterday on my cross bike I noticed something wrong with my headset. The hydraulic disk brakes on that bike also felt squishy already for some time. So today was maintenance day.
- bled my disk brakes on my cross bike,
- put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my cross bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly (scotchbrite and iso-propanol)
- put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my gravel bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly,
- overhauled the freehub body bearings of my gravel bike. I didn't get the sealing back in. Put it back in anyway but ordered new bearings,
- overhauled the headset of my cross bike. Lower bearing was very gritty. That was quite messy to clean that. Ordered a new bearing just in case:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdm2PmViooYjwa2Y7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hi13QbrMmxGjE8dDA

Lou

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<6b1ab600-3a99-490a-a7c2-ece8a5281376n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48700&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48700

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:14:53 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:14 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 12:36:29 PM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> During my off road ride yesterday on my cross bike I noticed something wrong with my headset. The hydraulic disk brakes on that bike also felt squishy already for some time. So today was maintenance day.
> - bled my disk brakes on my cross bike,
> - put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my cross bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly (scotchbrite and iso-propanol)
> - put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my gravel bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly,
> - overhauled the freehub body bearings of my gravel bike. I didn't get the sealing back in. Put it back in anyway but ordered new bearings,
> - overhauled the headset of my cross bike. Lower bearing was very gritty. That was quite messy to clean that. Ordered a new bearing just in case:

That lower headset race clearly shows that the balls were skidding because the were locking up from dirt. You need to have a completely waterproof headset.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234189066284?hash=item3686c1902c:g:teIAAOSwN0Bheqfb

Chis King is better.

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<26b3b693-0cda-47d1-be40-2110184aea54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48701&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48701

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:28:12 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 21:28 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 10:14:55 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > - bled my disk brakes on my cross bike,
> > - put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my cross bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly (scotchbrite and iso-propanol)
> > - put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my gravel bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly,
> > - overhauled the freehub body bearings of my gravel bike. I didn't get the sealing back in. Put it back in anyway but ordered new bearings,
> > - overhauled the headset of my cross bike. Lower bearing was very gritty. That was quite messy to clean that. Ordered a new bearing just in case:
> >
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdm2PmViooYjwa2Y7
> >
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/hi13QbrMmxGjE8dDA
> That lower headset race clearly shows that the balls were skidding because the were locking up from dirt. You need to have a completely waterproof headset.

It is an internal headset. Just two bearings loose fit in the headtube.

Lou

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<7d1d0fbd-4b9e-4714-a7fa-713867983040n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48709&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48709

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 15:31:33 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 23:31 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 1:28:14 PM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 10:14:55 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > During my off road ride yesterday on my cross bike I noticed something wrong with my headset. The hydraulic disk brakes on that bike also felt squishy already for some time. So today was maintenance day.
> > > - bled my disk brakes on my cross bike,
> > > - put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my cross bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly (scotchbrite and iso-propanol)
> > > - put new pads in and (re) aligned the calipers on my gravel bike and degreased the rotors thoroughly,
> > > - overhauled the freehub body bearings of my gravel bike. I didn't get the sealing back in. Put it back in anyway but ordered new bearings,
> > > - overhauled the headset of my cross bike. Lower bearing was very gritty. That was quite messy to clean that. Ordered a new bearing just in case:
> > >
> > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/bdm2PmViooYjwa2Y7
> > >
> > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/hi13QbrMmxGjE8dDA
> > That lower headset race clearly shows that the balls were skidding because the were locking up from dirt. You need to have a completely waterproof headset.
> > https://www.ebay.com/itm/234189066284?hash=item3686c1902c:g:teIAAOSwN0Bheqfb
> >
> > Chis King is better.
> It is an internal headset. Just two bearings loose fit in the headtube.

Well, the damage to the lower race looked unrepairable so I would replace it all new.

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<3264d18c-a2fa-4b7e-85eb-7e0acb8342dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48713&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48713

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 04:45:58 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:45 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:31:35 AM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 1:28:14 PM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > That lower headset race clearly shows that the balls were skidding because the were locking up from dirt. You need to have a completely waterproof headset.
> > > https://www.ebay.com/itm/234189066284?hash=item3686c1902c:g:teIAAOSwN0Bheqfb
> > >
> > > Chis King is better.
> > It is an internal headset. Just two bearings loose fit in the headtube.
> Well, the damage to the lower race looked unrepairable so I would replace it all new.

That is not a race. It is the machined head tube and forms the interface with the lower bearing. What you see is some rust 'imprint' from the removed bearing since the headtube is aluminum. I ordered a new lower bearing:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Cane-Creek/110-IS52-40-Lower-Headset-Cup-p35111/?o=69405274-black-IS52-40

For now the cleaned and repacked old bearing will do until the end of the off road season. I used my ultra sonic cleaner to get the grid out:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NhjwfpKNwzSTzxyH7

Lou

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<sqf4nf$2b7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48715&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48715

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 07:50:37 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:50 UTC

On 12/28/2021 6:45 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:31:35 AM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> It is an internal headset. Just two bearings loose fit in the headtube.
>> Well, the damage to the lower race looked unrepairable so I would replace it all new.
>

> That is not a race. It is the machined head tube and forms the interface with the lower bearing. What you see is some rust 'imprint' from the removed bearing since the headtube is aluminum. I ordered a new lower bearing:
>
> https://www.bike-components.de/en/Cane-Creek/110-IS52-40-Lower-Headset-Cup-p35111/?o=69405274-black-IS52-40
>
> For now the cleaned and repacked old bearing will do until the end of the off road season. I used my ultra sonic cleaner to get the grid out:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/NhjwfpKNwzSTzxyH7
>
> Lou

Right. There's maintenance ( remove seals, clean, lubricate)
but there's no 'repair'. The bearing is either useful or
it's not.

Ultrasound is the best method, good for you.

And in modern system like yours, the replacement bearings
are cheap, the process is quick and needs no special tools,
and at any rate a damaged headset bearing will not prevent
you from riding while waiting for a new bearing. It's a
great system, much improved over classic designs.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Bicycle related subjects.

<fd579992-7716-49f8-befd-ca6498458d17n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48719&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48719

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 07:13:30 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:13 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 2:50:42 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/28/2021 6:45 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> >> Well, the damage to the lower race looked unrepairable so I would replace it all new.
> >

> > That is not a race. It is the machined head tube and forms the interface with the lower bearing. What you see is some rust 'imprint' from the removed bearing since the headtube is aluminum. I ordered a new lower bearing:
> >
> > https://www.bike-components.de/en/Cane-Creek/110-IS52-40-Lower-Headset-Cup-p35111/?o=69405274-black-IS52-40
> >
> > For now the cleaned and repacked old bearing will do until the end of the off road season. I used my ultra sonic cleaner to get the grid out:
> >
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/NhjwfpKNwzSTzxyH7
> >
> > Lou
> >
> Right. There's maintenance ( remove seals, clean, lubricate)
> but there's no 'repair'. The bearing is either useful or
> it's not.
>
> Ultrasound is the best method, good for you.
>
> And in modern system like yours, the replacement bearings
> are cheap, the process is quick and needs no special tools,
> and at any rate a damaged headset bearing will not prevent
> you from riding while waiting for a new bearing. It's a
> great system, much improved over classic designs.

+1
Just finished a test ride and everything was fine riding no hands. Bedded in the new brake pads too (pfff...). The head set bearing lasted almost 8 years with a 'cruel' cleaning regime, so I'm not complaining.

Lou

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Bicycle related subjects.