186,000 Miles per Second. It's not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Steel is Real

SubjectAuthor
* Steel is RealTom Kunich
+* Re: Steel is RealAMuzi
|+* Re: Steel is RealTom Kunich
||`* Re: Steel is RealAMuzi
|| `- Re: Steel is RealJohn B.
|`* Re: Steel is Realsms
| `* Re: Steel is RealLou Holtman
|  +* Re: Steel is Realsms
|  |`* Re: Steel is RealLou Holtman
|  | +- Re: Steel is RealTom Kunich
|  | +- Re: Steel is Realsms
|  | +- Re: Steel is Realfunkma...@hotmail.com
|  | `- Re: Steel is RealJohn B.
|  `- Re: Steel is RealTom Kunich
`* Re: Steel is RealLou Holtman
 `- Re: Steel is RealTom Kunich

1
Steel is Real

<b9841d84-f594-4895-b8bb-a6112b19d4ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48727&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48727

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:18:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Steel is Real
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:18 UTC

One of the things that bothers me slightly about the Titanium bikes is that they have carbon fiber forks. Now, I know that the modern carbon fiber fork is better than the aluminum frames that most of them are fitted to, but after all, I am somewhat crippled by the failure of a carbon fiber fork. Now that failure was entirely due to absolute failure on the part of the manufacturer to glue one of the fork blades on, but I have seen enough carbon fiber failure to always have that worry in the back of my mind. I find that that has slowed me down a great deal as I get older and know that I bounce less and break more.

Consequently I have been looking at steel framesets again. I found a Coppi that is made from Genius tubing. Now the best steel frameset I owned in the past was made from Diddiaccia tubing. But I have never ridden a bike made out of Genius tubing.

SLX was way too stiff and heavy. I think I had a TSX frameset but can't remember anything about it.

Has anyone used Genius tubing and if so can you tell me about it?

Re: Steel is Real

<sqg05o$f13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48728&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48728

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Steel is Real
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 15:39:02 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:39 UTC

On 12/28/2021 3:18 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> One of the things that bothers me slightly about the Titanium bikes is that they have carbon fiber forks. Now, I know that the modern carbon fiber fork is better than the aluminum frames that most of them are fitted to, but after all, I am somewhat crippled by the failure of a carbon fiber fork. Now that failure was entirely due to absolute failure on the part of the manufacturer to glue one of the fork blades on, but I have seen enough carbon fiber failure to always have that worry in the back of my mind. I find that that has slowed me down a great deal as I get older and know that I bounce less and break more.
>
> Consequently I have been looking at steel framesets again. I found a Coppi that is made from Genius tubing. Now the best steel frameset I owned in the past was made from Diddiaccia tubing. But I have never ridden a bike made out of Genius tubing.
>
> SLX was way too stiff and heavy. I think I had a TSX frameset but can't remember anything about it.
>
> Has anyone used Genius tubing and if so can you tell me about it?

?
The Coppis we sold with Genius tube came with carbon forks.

To your question, people like and dislike every material for
a number of reasons or no reason.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Steel is Real

<79a1b5be-7e61-45e1-a046-02aacadc0ae6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48731&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48731

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:20:27 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 22:20 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 1:39:08 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 12/28/2021 3:18 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > One of the things that bothers me slightly about the Titanium bikes is that they have carbon fiber forks. Now, I know that the modern carbon fiber fork is better than the aluminum frames that most of them are fitted to, but after all, I am somewhat crippled by the failure of a carbon fiber fork. Now that failure was entirely due to absolute failure on the part of the manufacturer to glue one of the fork blades on, but I have seen enough carbon fiber failure to always have that worry in the back of my mind. I find that that has slowed me down a great deal as I get older and know that I bounce less and break more.
> >
> > Consequently I have been looking at steel framesets again. I found a Coppi that is made from Genius tubing. Now the best steel frameset I owned in the past was made from Diddiaccia tubing. But I have never ridden a bike made out of Genius tubing.
> >
> > SLX was way too stiff and heavy. I think I had a TSX frameset but can't remember anything about it.
> >
> > Has anyone used Genius tubing and if so can you tell me about it?
> >
> ?
> The Coppis we sold with Genius tube came with carbon forks.
>
> To your question, people like and dislike every material for
> a number of reasons or no reason.

Columbus has reduced their production of steel tubing to just a couple of different sets. The one I'm looking at is a new old stock with a steel fork. I'm not sure to buy anything actually since the two bikes I was sure would sell easily haven't even had an enquiry. Now, hopefully this is just the Christmas season and they will start moving again in February. I'm considering dropping my entire collection to one steel bike and one titanium. The Merlin is a great bike but the Airborne rides a bit better. The Douglas Ti is a terrific bike as well but I have simply run out of garage room with my wife taking up every single extra cubic inch of space these days.

Re: Steel is Real

<sqg9d1$kul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48733&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48733

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:16:32 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:16 UTC

On 12/28/2021 4:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 1:39:08 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 12/28/2021 3:18 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> One of the things that bothers me slightly about the Titanium bikes is that they have carbon fiber forks. Now, I know that the modern carbon fiber fork is better than the aluminum frames that most of them are fitted to, but after all, I am somewhat crippled by the failure of a carbon fiber fork. Now that failure was entirely due to absolute failure on the part of the manufacturer to glue one of the fork blades on, but I have seen enough carbon fiber failure to always have that worry in the back of my mind. I find that that has slowed me down a great deal as I get older and know that I bounce less and break more.
>>>
>>> Consequently I have been looking at steel framesets again. I found a Coppi that is made from Genius tubing. Now the best steel frameset I owned in the past was made from Diddiaccia tubing. But I have never ridden a bike made out of Genius tubing.
>>>
>>> SLX was way too stiff and heavy. I think I had a TSX frameset but can't remember anything about it.
>>>
>>> Has anyone used Genius tubing and if so can you tell me about it?
>>>
>> ?
>> The Coppis we sold with Genius tube came with carbon forks.
>>
>> To your question, people like and dislike every material for
>> a number of reasons or no reason.
>
> Columbus has reduced their production of steel tubing to just a couple of different sets. The one I'm looking at is a new old stock with a steel fork. I'm not sure to buy anything actually since the two bikes I was sure would sell easily haven't even had an enquiry. Now, hopefully this is just the Christmas season and they will start moving again in February. I'm considering dropping my entire collection to one steel bike and one titanium. The Merlin is a great bike but the Airborne rides a bit better. The Douglas Ti is a terrific bike as well but I have simply run out of garage room with my wife taking up every single extra cubic inch of space these days.

Current Columbus steel tubes:
http://www.columbustubi.com/it/tubi-acciaio/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Steel is Real

<25bnsgdo9dq0c0cde446rvtvr0qmc7fuq8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48734&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48734

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 07:40:17 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:40 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:16:32 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 12/28/2021 4:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

>>> ?
>>> The Coppis we sold with Genius tube came with carbon forks.
>>>
>>> To your question, people like and dislike every material for
>>> a number of reasons or no reason.
>>
>> Columbus has reduced their production of steel tubing to just a couple of different sets. The one I'm looking at is a new old stock with a steel fork. I'm not sure to buy anything actually since the two bikes I was sure would sell easily haven't even had an enquiry. Now, hopefully this is just the Christmas season and they will start moving again in February. I'm considering dropping my entire collection to one steel bike and one titanium. The Merlin is a great bike but the Airborne rides a bit better. The Douglas Ti is a terrific bike as well but I have simply run out of garage room with my wife taking up every single extra cubic inch of space these days.
>>

>Current Columbus steel tubes:
>http://www.columbustubi.com/it/tubi-acciaio/

Yes I read that and then I downloaded the "Manual" (Cataloghi e
Manuali - Scarica i documenti ufficiali Columbus e le guide in .pdf)
https://www.columbustubi.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Columbus-2022-Steel-Catalog-v3-web.pdf
Which lists a number of "steel" tubes. 1 of XCr Stainless, 5 OMNICROM,
1 CroMo4 and 1 Cromor.

Apparently steel ain't dead yet (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Steel is Real

<sqhqho$mc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48743&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48743

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:15:18 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:15 UTC

On 12/28/2021 1:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:

<snip>

> To your question, people like and dislike every material for a number of
> reasons or no reason.

That may be true, but those people that are spending the extra money for
a titanium or Chromoly steel frame, versus a carbon-fiber frame,
probably are doing so for good reasons, including durability and safety,
and are less concerned about weight. It is annoying that so many
complete titanium and Chromoly bikes come with carbon forks. Some custom
manufacturers at least offer both steel forks for an up-charge.

A carbon fork is a wear item and should be replaced every few thousand
miles, or at least be carefully inspected often see
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uclze0Yxkd8>.

Re: Steel is Real

<a73f0568-2c14-45ba-a153-3aad1d34e0e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48744&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48744

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:38:27 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:38 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 10:18:15 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> One of the things that bothers me slightly about the Titanium bikes is that they have carbon fiber forks. Now, I know that the modern carbon fiber fork is better than the aluminum frames that most of them are fitted to, but after all, I am somewhat crippled by the failure of a carbon fiber fork. Now that failure was entirely due to absolute failure on the part of the manufacturer to glue one of the fork blades on, but I have seen enough carbon fiber failure to always have that worry in the back of my mind. I find that that has slowed me down a great deal as I get older and know that I bounce less and break more.
>
> Consequently I have been looking at steel framesets again. I found a Coppi that is made from Genius tubing. Now the best steel frameset I owned in the past was made from Diddiaccia tubing. But I have never ridden a bike made out of Genius tubing.
>
> SLX was way too stiff and heavy. I think I had a TSX frameset but can't remember anything about it.
>
> Has anyone used Genius tubing and if so can you tell me about it?

I think your biggest concern is that on the used bikes you buy you don't know the history of the CF forks. You could consider buying a new CF fork from a respectable manufacturer in the not stupid light category.

Lou

Re: Steel is Real

<c1eb7174-857a-455a-80bb-5646e998a2d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48746&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48746

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:53:36 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:53 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 3:15:23 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
> On 12/28/2021 1:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > To your question, people like and dislike every material for a number of
> > reasons or no reason.
> That may be true, but those people that are spending the extra money for
> a titanium or Chromoly steel frame, versus a carbon-fiber frame,
> probably are doing so for good reasons, including durability and safety,
> and are less concerned about weight. It is annoying that so many
> complete titanium and Chromoly bikes come with carbon forks. Some custom
> manufacturers at least offer both steel forks for an up-charge.
>
> A carbon fork is a wear item and should be replaced every few thousand
> miles, or at least be carefully inspected often see
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uclze0Yxkd8>.

What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year....

Lou

Re: Steel is Real

<sqhtei$a1l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48747&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48747

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 07:04:48 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:04 UTC

On 12/29/2021 6:53 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 3:15:23 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
>> On 12/28/2021 1:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> To your question, people like and dislike every material for a number of
>>> reasons or no reason.
>> That may be true, but those people that are spending the extra money for
>> a titanium or Chromoly steel frame, versus a carbon-fiber frame,
>> probably are doing so for good reasons, including durability and safety,
>> and are less concerned about weight. It is annoying that so many
>> complete titanium and Chromoly bikes come with carbon forks. Some custom
>> manufacturers at least offer both steel forks for an up-charge.
>>
>> A carbon fork is a wear item and should be replaced every few thousand
>> miles, or at least be carefully inspected often see
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uclze0Yxkd8>.
>

> What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year....

LOL, the cat was essential to the video.

But it is true that carbon forks should be routinely inspected. It's the
carbon bit that fails the most catastrophically, and that have had a
large number of recalls due to failures that have caused serious
injuries. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fork+recall>.

Re: Steel is Real

<2855271f-4c26-4bad-897a-1089440eaa60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48749&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48749

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 07:42:26 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:42 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 4:04:58 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
> On 12/29/2021 6:53 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 3:15:23 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
> >> On 12/28/2021 1:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >> That may be true, but those people that are spending the extra money for
> >> a titanium or Chromoly steel frame, versus a carbon-fiber frame,
> >> probably are doing so for good reasons, including durability and safety,
> >> and are less concerned about weight. It is annoying that so many
> >> complete titanium and Chromoly bikes come with carbon forks. Some custom
> >> manufacturers at least offer both steel forks for an up-charge.
> >>
> >> A carbon fork is a wear item and should be replaced every few thousand
> >> miles, or at least be carefully inspected often see
> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uclze0Yxkd8>.
> >

> > What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year.....
> LOL, the cat was essential to the video.
>
> But it is true that carbon forks should be routinely inspected. It's the
> carbon bit that fails the most catastrophically, and that have had a
> large number of recalls due to failures that have caused serious
> injuries. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fork+recall>.

My view is that if the first installation is done correctly following the rules for CF and normal use of the bike there is no need for routinely inspection. That is ridiculous. Taken it apart and putting it together again can do more harm then let a correct first installation be as it is, especially with people like that Australian guy from the clip.

Lou

Re: Steel is Real

<ee31b421-8751-4c5e-b4a6-15ffa1b66a09n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48751&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48751

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 08:13:54 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:13 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 6:38:29 AM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 10:18:15 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > One of the things that bothers me slightly about the Titanium bikes is that they have carbon fiber forks. Now, I know that the modern carbon fiber fork is better than the aluminum frames that most of them are fitted to, but after all, I am somewhat crippled by the failure of a carbon fiber fork. Now that failure was entirely due to absolute failure on the part of the manufacturer to glue one of the fork blades on, but I have seen enough carbon fiber failure to always have that worry in the back of my mind. I find that that has slowed me down a great deal as I get older and know that I bounce less and break more.
> >
> > Consequently I have been looking at steel framesets again. I found a Coppi that is made from Genius tubing. Now the best steel frameset I owned in the past was made from Diddiaccia tubing. But I have never ridden a bike made out of Genius tubing.
> >
> > SLX was way too stiff and heavy. I think I had a TSX frameset but can't remember anything about it.
> >
> > Has anyone used Genius tubing and if so can you tell me about it?
> I think your biggest concern is that on the used bikes you buy you don't know the history of the CF forks. You could consider buying a new CF fork from a respectable manufacturer in the not stupid light category.

Not really Lou, I replaced the carbon forks with new ones so that I would know their history. But you still cannot know whether or not there is a void somewhere without ulta-sound testing and I don't know of any sites that I could trust. It isn't as if ultrasound readouts are something that is easily interpreted. So even tested you end up really depending on the competence of the manufacturer. I used American manufactured or English manufactured forks. The problem with that is that these Titanium bikes, like steel frames, require 1" steering shafts so your choice is almost entirely old-stock.

Re: Steel is Real

<1a1b887e-da22-4d6b-99bf-553bae69d6e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48752&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48752

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 08:18:53 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:18 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 6:53:37 AM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 3:15:23 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
> > On 12/28/2021 1:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > > To your question, people like and dislike every material for a number of
> > > reasons or no reason.
> > That may be true, but those people that are spending the extra money for
> > a titanium or Chromoly steel frame, versus a carbon-fiber frame,
> > probably are doing so for good reasons, including durability and safety,
> > and are less concerned about weight. It is annoying that so many
> > complete titanium and Chromoly bikes come with carbon forks. Some custom
> > manufacturers at least offer both steel forks for an up-charge.
> >
> > A carbon fork is a wear item and should be replaced every few thousand
> > miles, or at least be carefully inspected often see
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uclze0Yxkd8>.
> What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year.....

One of the things that Hambini said was that some resins used early on were sensitive to grease. The way my friend's C40 headtube broke off reminded me of this sort of degradation. From an engineering point of view, I can't see anything wrong with carbon fiber with advanced resins. But from a personally injured point of view it simply makes me too nervous now.

Re: Steel is Real

<1d2ca44f-b8a1-4f70-9c88-3f0f2aff3bfcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48753&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48753

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 08:20:55 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:20 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 7:42:28 AM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 4:04:58 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:

> > > What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year....
> > LOL, the cat was essential to the video.
> >
> > But it is true that carbon forks should be routinely inspected. It's the
> > carbon bit that fails the most catastrophically, and that have had a
> > large number of recalls due to failures that have caused serious
> > injuries. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fork+recall>.
> My view is that if the first installation is done correctly following the rules for CF and normal use of the bike there is no need for routinely inspection. That is ridiculous. Taken it apart and putting it together again can do more harm then let a correct first installation be as it is, especially with people like that Australian guy from the clip.

You aren't going to get anywhere arguing with Scharf. He doesn't own a carbon bike and doesn't know how to work on bikes. As you can see by the things he writes.

Re: Steel is Real

<sqi3tt$m4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48757&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48757

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 08:55:24 -0800
 by: sms - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:55 UTC

On 12/29/2021 7:42 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 4:04:58 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:

>>> What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year....
>> LOL, the cat was essential to the video.
>>
>> But it is true that carbon forks should be routinely inspected. It's the
>> carbon bit that fails the most catastrophically, and that have had a
>> large number of recalls due to failures that have caused serious
>> injuries. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fork+recall>.
>

> My view is that if the first installation is done correctly following the rules for CF and normal use of the bike there is no need for routinely inspection. That is ridiculous. Taken it apart and putting it together again can do more harm then let a correct first installation be as it is, especially with people like that Australian guy from the clip.

Right, no need to do all that disassembly but nevertheless carbon frame
parts should be routinely inspected for cracks, especially forks.

Re: Steel is Real

<821d087f-7af7-43bb-a0bb-2c6b31ffeb55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48763&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48763

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:33:26 -0800 (PST)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:33 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 10:42:28 AM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 4:04:58 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:

> > > What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year....
> > LOL, the cat was essential to the video.
> >
> > But it is true that carbon forks should be routinely inspected. It's the
> > carbon bit that fails the most catastrophically, and that have had a
> > large number of recalls due to failures that have caused serious
> > injuries. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fork+recall>.
> My view is that if the first installation is done correctly following the rules for CF and normal use of the bike there is no need for routinely inspection. That is ridiculous. Taken it apart and putting it together again can do more harm then let a correct first installation be as it is, especially with people like that Australian guy from the clip.
>
> Lou

I'm still riding an Easton EC90 that I bought in 2002 on my commuter. I clean and inspect it every year after I stop riding to work for the season, haven't seen anything concerning. Just some superficial wear from bouncing around in my car and basement for almost 20 years.

Re: Steel is Real

<3mqpsg10covvj29ftg3jepdt1olqfh03va@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48767&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48767

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 06:12:54 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 23:12 UTC

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 07:42:26 -0800 (PST), Lou Holtman
<lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 4:04:58 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:

>> > What an idiot. Keep him away from my bikes. I can't even understand that Australian English.The cats are entertaining though. Replaced every few thousand miles huh? In that case I would be buying 3-4 new forks every year....
>> LOL, the cat was essential to the video.
>>
>> But it is true that carbon forks should be routinely inspected. It's the
>> carbon bit that fails the most catastrophically, and that have had a
>> large number of recalls due to failures that have caused serious
>> injuries. See <https://www.google.com/search?q=carbon+fork+recall>.
>

>My view is that if the first installation is done correctly following the rules for CF and normal use of the bike there is no need for routinely inspection. That is ridiculous. Taken it apart and putting it together again can do more harm then let a correct first installation be as it is, especially with people like that Australian guy from the clip.
>
>Lou

You might want to look at
file:///tmp/IntelligentNDE_Poudelet.al.pdf
which is a fairly extensive explanation of methods of adequately
inspecting carbon fiber objects.
--
Cheers,

John B.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Steel is Real