If it's worth hacking on well, it's worth hacking on for money.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Steel Bikes

SubjectAuthor
* Steel BikesTom Kunich
`* Re: Steel BikesLou Holtman
 `- Re: Steel BikesTom Kunich

1
Steel Bikes

<3fe199b0-36ff-4ceb-a90b-d86cfd6a49b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48764&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48764

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:34:25 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Steel Bikes
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:34 UTC

I have found the EC90 saddles to be more comfortable than the older fully padded ones. The problem here is that they had 7 x 9 mm oval saddle rails. The size of the steel and aluminum bike seat posts are liable to be all sorts of weirdo sizes and the only seat posts that purposely allow the 7 x 9 are the newer carbon posts with a diameter of 27.2, 30.9 and 32.8 To fit, say, a 26.8 mm seat post with the oval rails, would require, at the very least, buying a new screw that would allow the top connector to lift up higher.

Now, there are full carbon saddles available with titanium rails or probably even steel but I don't expect them to be available for a lot longer since the full carbon rails are so much lighter (well twice feather light is hardly heavy)/ Once they are fully set up to make carbon fiber saddle rails that is what will take over since the material is so much cheaper than metal.

I have ridden at least four different shapes of these thin carbon fiber saddles and in every case I have had less butt aches than with any of the padded saddles so I do expect them to completely take over.

Re: Steel Bikes

<990a53c1-5253-4df5-a780-4f603e479935n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48765&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48765

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:29:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Steel Bikes
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 22:29 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 6:34:27 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have found the EC90 saddles to be more comfortable than the older fully padded ones. The problem here is that they had 7 x 9 mm oval saddle rails. The size of the steel and aluminum bike seat posts are liable to be all sorts of weirdo sizes and the only seat posts that purposely allow the 7 x 9 are the newer carbon posts with a diameter of 27.2, 30.9 and 32.8 To fit, say, a 26.8 mm seat post with the oval rails, would require, at the very least, buying a new screw that would allow the top connector to lift up higher..
>
> Now, there are full carbon saddles available with titanium rails or probably even steel but I don't expect them to be available for a lot longer since the full carbon rails are so much lighter (well twice feather light is hardly heavy)/ Once they are fully set up to make carbon fiber saddle rails that is what will take over since the material is so much cheaper than metal.
>
> I have ridden at least four different shapes of these thin carbon fiber saddles and in every case I have had less butt aches than with any of the padded saddles so I do expect them to completely take over.

Tom, get a Thomson seatpost, the aluminum version. US made and it will accep 7*9 mm saddle rails. I’m a fan of Thomson seatposts.

Lou

Re: Steel Bikes

<cd8e7ea0-25b7-4b3b-8641-8fcbcf69b52an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=48766&group=rec.bicycles.tech#48766

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:51:25 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 22:51 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 2:29:51 PM UTC-8, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 6:34:27 PM UTC+1, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have found the EC90 saddles to be more comfortable than the older fully padded ones. The problem here is that they had 7 x 9 mm oval saddle rails. The size of the steel and aluminum bike seat posts are liable to be all sorts of weirdo sizes and the only seat posts that purposely allow the 7 x 9 are the newer carbon posts with a diameter of 27.2, 30.9 and 32.8 To fit, say, a 26.8 mm seat post with the oval rails, would require, at the very least, buying a new screw that would allow the top connector to lift up higher.
> >
> > Now, there are full carbon saddles available with titanium rails or probably even steel but I don't expect them to be available for a lot longer since the full carbon rails are so much lighter (well twice feather light is hardly heavy)/ Once they are fully set up to make carbon fiber saddle rails that is what will take over since the material is so much cheaper than metal.
> >
> > I have ridden at least four different shapes of these thin carbon fiber saddles and in every case I have had less butt aches than with any of the padded saddles so I do expect them to completely take over.
> Tom, get a Thomson seatpost, the aluminum version. US made and it will accep 7*9 mm saddle rails. I’m a fan of Thomson seatposts.

I am as well but they are something like $110. And the first thing you do is buy extra-long screws for the deep rails.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Steel Bikes