Unix is a Registered Bell of AT&T Trademark Laboratories. -- Donn Seeley

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Web browser with tabs.

SubjectAuthor
* Web browser with tabs.micky
+- Re: Web browser with tabs.Wally J
`* Re: Web browser with tabs.VanguardLH
 +* Re: Web browser with tabs.micky
 |`- Re: Web browser with tabs.Wally J
 `* Re: Web browser with tabs.Dave Roya
  +* Re: Web browser with tabs.VanguardLH
  |+* Re: Web browser with tabs.Dave Roya
  ||`- Re: Web browser with tabs.VanguardLH
  |`* Re: Web browser with tabs.micky
  | `* Re: Web browser with tabs.VanguardLH
  |  `* Re: Web browser with tabs.Andy Burns
  |   `* Re: Web browser with tabs.VanguardLH
  |    `* Re: Web browser with tabs.Andy Burns
  |     `- Re: Web browser with tabs.VanguardLH
  +- Re: Web browser with tabs.Wally J
  `- Re: Web browser with tabs.micky

1
Web browser with tabs.

<f4u0pihi90i11v2aj15tb8rbt57g9sspde@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48752&group=comp.mobile.android#48752

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Web browser with tabs.
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:10:22 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:10 UTC

My nephew showed me his webbrowers and how clearly it did tabs, but he
has an iphone. My Xiaomi comes with a Mi Browser and I can't figure out
how to make tabs let alone find them again.

Do you guys (and gal) recommend another browser that uses tabs
successfully and easily? What is it?

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<umpufv$2no6l$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48753&group=comp.mobile.android#48753

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Web browser with tabs.
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:27:43 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:27 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

> My nephew showed me his webbrowers and how clearly it did tabs, but he
> has an iphone. My Xiaomi comes with a Mi Browser and I can't figure out
> how to make tabs let alone find them again.
>
> Do you guys (and gal) recommend another browser that uses tabs
> successfully and easily? What is it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "make tabs" but I use the Ungoogled Chromium
browser on Android 13 on my Samsung Galaxy and it does tabs just fine.
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-android>

Bromite works well also (as Andy Burns noted the UC update versions).
<https://www.bromite.org/>

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<g6dpq69t5a3l$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48755&group=comp.mobile.android#48755

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:13:38 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:13 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> My nephew showed me his webbrowers and how clearly it did tabs, but he
> has an iphone. My Xiaomi comes with a Mi Browser and I can't figure out
> how to make tabs let alone find them again.
>
> Do you guys (and gal) recommend another browser that uses tabs
> successfully and easily? What is it?

I use Firefox Mobile on my Android phone. No tabs, but they waste
space. Instead there is a button that shows "tabs" as preview images I
can select to change focus. Think of how [Ctrl+]Alt+Tab works in
Windows to show preview images of windows to let you change focus to one
of them. A square toolbar icon with a number inside shouws the number
of opened tabs, and you tap it to see a list of tabs. Works the same
way in the Chrome Mobile web browser. Phones don't have much screen
space; else, you'd be talking about tablets.

Vivaldi Android looks to have tabs. Not sure how legible they are after
you open a few which would have they squash down in width. Looks like
there is a square icon with number inside at the bottom right to show
how many tabs are open, and perhaps you can tap it to see a preview list
of open tabs. See:

https://vivaldi.com/android/

In an online search, in some forum, a respondent said the Opera Android
web browser will show tabs when switched into Tablet mode.

From https://play.google.com/store/search?q=samsung%20internet&c=apps
screenshots, there are tabs in the Samsung Internet Browser.

Found a Youtube video mentioning some web browsers with a tab bar at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxPS4MoYbo

Mentions the Dolphin web browser in addition to Vivalid and Opera (in
tablet mode) already mentioned.

All of the above was found using an online search (Google). You should
try it yourself to do research before asking for help.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<ma31pi941rpqvvs0dbukvust8fja85rn6t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48756&group=comp.mobile.android#48756

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 16:47:12 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:47 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 30 Dec 2023 15:13:38 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> My nephew showed me his webbrowers and how clearly it did tabs, but he
>> has an iphone. My Xiaomi comes with a Mi Browser and I can't figure out
>> how to make tabs let alone find them again.
>>
>> Do you guys (and gal) recommend another browser that uses tabs
>> successfully and easily? What is it?
>
>I use Firefox Mobile on my Android phone. No tabs, but they waste

I don't mind if there are to space-taking tabs, as long as the function
is there. Wally, that's what I meant by "make tabs", just the
function. I have never learned how to do that on the phone.

>space. Instead there is a button that shows "tabs" as preview images I
>can select to change focus. Think of how [Ctrl+]Alt+Tab works in
>Windows to show preview images of windows to let you change focus to one

That sounds good.

So I have suggestions for Firefox, Ungoogled Chromium, and Bromite.

>of them. A square toolbar icon with a number inside shouws the number
>of opened tabs, and you tap it to see a list of tabs. Works the same
>way in the Chrome Mobile web browser. Phones don't have much screen
>space; else, you'd be talking about tablets.
>
>Vivaldi Android looks to have tabs. Not sure how legible they are after
>you open a few which would have they squash down in width. Looks like
>there is a square icon with number inside at the bottom right to show
>how many tabs are open, and perhaps you can tap it to see a preview list
>of open tabs. See:
>
>https://vivaldi.com/android/
>
>In an online search, in some forum, a respondent said the Opera Android
>web browser will show tabs when switched into Tablet mode.
>
>From https://play.google.com/store/search?q=samsung%20internet&c=apps
>screenshots, there are tabs in the Samsung Internet Browser.
>
>Found a Youtube video mentioning some web browsers with a tab bar at:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxPS4MoYbo
>
>Mentions the Dolphin web browser in addition to Vivalid and Opera (in
>tablet mode) already mentioned.
>
>All of the above was found using an online search (Google). You should
>try it yourself to do research before asking for help.

A very detailed answer. Thanks a lot.

I might well like Firefox. That's what I use on the computer

But maybe I will flip a 3-sided coin to decide.

I'll admit that I could have learned how to use Mi, but I'd rather hear
your recommendations. Thanks to both of you.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<umq4tl$2o39g$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48757&group=comp.mobile.android#48757

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:17:25 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 22:17 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

> I'll admit that I could have learned how to use Mi

In my humble opinion, it's not worth it to learn how to use the proprietary
browser that the phone OEM wants you to use because it's basically a 1-off.

Also in my humble opinion, it's not safe to use the default Google browser
every Android phone comes with, which is of course, the 1st thing I delete.
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.chrome

What I recommend for reasons that transcend any one phone maker, is a
well-respected privacy-aware web browser which is capable, in your case, of
"making tabs" (which, I didn't know that every browser wasn't able to do).

Since I'm helpful to anyone who asks an honest question, I just checked my
Ungoogled Chromium replacement to Chrome, which happens to have 25 tabs.

Since I'm also a good person who cares about others, I made this screenshot
for micky where maybe it helps him if this is the kind of tabs he needed.
<https://i.postimg.cc/QNQdhkTv/web01.jpg> 25 Ungoogled Chromium tabs

micky... Can you tell me whether that helps you or not?
If not, what is that image missing in terms of tab functionality you want?

Because I don't really understand what it means to "make tabs" since I
thought all web browsers had the capability of adding a new tab or ten.
--
Usenet is a venue for intelligent people to widely share their knowledge.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<umrdgp$1mgd6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48761&group=comp.mobile.android#48761

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:50:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:50 UTC

On 30 Dec 2023 15:13:38 -0600 VanguardLH wrote:

>I use Firefox Mobile on my Android phone. No tabs, but they waste
>space...

You mean it doesn't have a _tab_bar_ - even on a tablet, which I use. It's
two taps to change tab, via the thumbnails or a list - which I prefer. Or
you can swipe the URL bar left or right. (Though irritatingly you can't
cycle round them.)

I wonder if the OP is confusing tabs with a visible tab bar?

And Firefox on Android will now run (all) add-ons again - a feature
renoved in 2020: 572 at the moment.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<aara2y64eqwg$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48762&group=comp.mobile.android#48762

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 04:24:31 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 10:24 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> You mean it doesn't have a _tab_bar_ - even on a tablet, which I use.
> It's two taps to change tab, via the thumbnails or a list - which I
> prefer. Or you can swipe the URL bar left or right. (Though
> irritatingly you can't cycle round them.)

"Tab bar" is what I assumed the OP meant by "tabs". I don't recall
using an Android web browser that did not support tabs, but you tapped
an icon to show a list. They weren't in a tab row aka tab bar.

Since tabs have always been available, the OP must've meant some other
means of seeing them. Of course, it's possible the OP didn't even know
about tapping the tab icon to see a list of tabs.

> And Firefox on Android will now run (all) add-ons again - a feature
> renoved in 2020: 572 at the moment.

I've been using addons with Firefox Mobile for about 3+ years, like
uBlock Origin. However, it only supports curated addons, not all
addons. The list of supported adds is growing, but it still isn't all
addons available for the desktop version of Firefox.

At present FF mobile supports 594 extensions, a bit more than the 572
count you noted. That is still not all of them unless the scope of
"all" is restricted to FF Android. Back in Dec 2022, there were about
30,000 addons and 480,000 themes for Firefox Desktop.

addons.mozilla.org - Addons for FF desktop.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/ - Addons for FF Android.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<umrk74$1nb11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48763&group=comp.mobile.android#48763

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:44:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:44 UTC

On 31 Dec 2023 04:24:31 -0600 VanguardLH wrote:

>"Tab bar" is what I assumed the OP meant by "tabs". I don't recall
>using an Android web browser that did not support tabs, but you tapped
>an icon to show a list. They weren't in a tab row aka tab bar.
>
>Since tabs have always been available, the OP must've meant some other
>means of seeing them. Of course, it's possible the OP didn't even know
>about tapping the tab icon to see a list of tabs.
>

>I've been using addons with Firefox Mobile for about 3+ years, like
>uBlock Origin. However, it only supports curated addons, not all
>addons. The list of supported adds is growing, but it still isn't all
>addons available for the desktop version of Firefox.
>
>At present FF mobile supports 594 extensions, a bit more than the 572
>count you noted. That is still not all of them unless the scope of
>"all" is restricted to FF Android. Back in Dec 2022, there were about
>30,000 addons and 480,000 themes for Firefox Desktop.
>
>addons.mozilla.org - Addons for FF desktop.
>https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/ - Addons for FF Android.

This list says 572 (when opened in my Fx Android)
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/>
Where does 594 appear?

Many of the desktop ones never in fact worked on Android. Their authors
ticked a box but didn't test them - you just had to try them. I included
'Android' in the title of my add-ons aimed an Android so people would know
they worked.

Now you have to add a specific Android manifest key to attest that they
work. Maybe there are 22 without that key, in which case they can't be
installed on Release but maybe still can in Nightly. (Guessing.)
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<ums241$2vrds$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48764&group=comp.mobile.android#48764

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:41:53 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 15:41 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote

> I wonder if the OP is confusing tabs with a visible tab bar?

This is one longstanding issue I have with this particular OP, which is
that he could have invested a half minute or two to upload a screenshot.

Like this: <https://i.postimg.cc/QNQdhkTv/web01.jpg>

He didn't.
He never does.

I don't know why.
I invested that time in helping him.
He doesn't invest the time in explaining what he is asking for.
So we're wasting our valuable time trying to help him.

Which is a crime, because that's valuable time not spent helping others.

micky - why don't you upload a screenshot & show us what your issue is?

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<42j3pit7emkkv9j6ogk1c8vdpkk1dggfp1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48770&group=comp.mobile.android#48770

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 15:17:52 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:17 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:50:17 -0000 (UTC), Dave
Royal<dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

>On 30 Dec 2023 15:13:38 -0600 VanguardLH wrote:
>
>>I use Firefox Mobile on my Android phone. No tabs, but they waste
>>space...
>
>You mean it doesn't have a _tab_bar_ - even on a tablet, which I use. It's
>two taps to change tab, via the thumbnails or a list - which I prefer. Or
>you can swipe the URL bar left or right. (Though irritatingly you can't
>cycle round them.)
>
>I wonder if the OP is confusing tabs with a visible tab bar?

I meant tabs, not visible tab bar.

>And Firefox on Android will now run (all) add-ons again - a feature
>renoved in 2020: 572 at the moment.

That sounds good. I'm about to try FF.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<64j3pi5n0clp677mt2l21h1db13vhj1bp4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48771&group=comp.mobile.android#48771

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 15:21:03 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:21 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 04:24:31 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>
>> You mean it doesn't have a _tab_bar_ - even on a tablet, which I use.
>> It's two taps to change tab, via the thumbnails or a list - which I
>> prefer. Or you can swipe the URL bar left or right. (Though
>> irritatingly you can't cycle round them.)
>
>"Tab bar" is what I assumed the OP meant by "tabs". I don't recall
>using an Android web browser that did not support tabs, but you tapped
>an icon to show a list. They weren't in a tab row aka tab bar.
>
>Since tabs have always been available, the OP must've meant some other
>means of seeing them. Of course, it's possible the OP didn't even know
>about tapping the tab icon to see a list of tabs.

That makes sense but I never found how to make a tab, so I didn't know
they always had tabs. Before this Xiaomi phone I've had a Samsung
phone, and 2 other brands that escape me right now. Never found how to
do tabs on any of them . :-(

>> And Firefox on Android will now run (all) add-ons again - a feature
>> renoved in 2020: 572 at the moment.
>
>I've been using addons with Firefox Mobile for about 3+ years, like
>uBlock Origin. However, it only supports curated addons, not all
>addons. The list of supported adds is growing, but it still isn't all
>addons available for the desktop version of Firefox.
>
>At present FF mobile supports 594 extensions, a bit more than the 572
>count you noted. That is still not all of them unless the scope of
>"all" is restricted to FF Android. Back in Dec 2022, there were about
>30,000 addons and 480,000 themes for Firefox Desktop.
>
>addons.mozilla.org - Addons for FF desktop.
>https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/ - Addons for FF Android.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<1ehllvto4dsn5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48778&group=comp.mobile.android#48778

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:06:36 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:06 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2023 04:24:31 -0600 VanguardLH wrote:
>>

>>"Tab bar" is what I assumed the OP meant by "tabs". I don't recall
>>using an Android web browser that did not support tabs, but you tapped
>>an icon to show a list. They weren't in a tab row aka tab bar.
>>
>>Since tabs have always been available, the OP must've meant some other
>>means of seeing them. Of course, it's possible the OP didn't even know
>>about tapping the tab icon to see a list of tabs.
>>

>>I've been using addons with Firefox Mobile for about 3+ years, like
>>uBlock Origin. However, it only supports curated addons, not all
>>addons. The list of supported adds is growing, but it still isn't all
>>addons available for the desktop version of Firefox.
>>
>>At present FF mobile supports 594 extensions, a bit more than the 572
>>count you noted. That is still not all of them unless the scope of
>>"all" is restricted to FF Android. Back in Dec 2022, there were about
>>30,000 addons and 480,000 themes for Firefox Desktop.
>>
>>addons.mozilla.org - Addons for FF desktop.
>>https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/ - Addons for FF Android.
>
> This list says 572 (when opened in my Fx Android)
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/>
> Where does 594 appear?
>
> Many of the desktop ones never in fact worked on Android. Their authors
> ticked a box but didn't test them - you just had to try them. I included
> 'Android' in the title of my add-ons aimed an Android so people would know
> they worked.
>
> Now you have to add a specific Android manifest key to attest that they
> work. Maybe there are 22 without that key, in which case they can't be
> installed on Release but maybe still can in Nightly. (Guessing.)

I used Firefox Mobile to go to Settings -> Add-ons, scrolled to the
bottom to tap "Find more" which takes me to the Firefox for Android
extensions web page. Under the "Recommended extensions" seciont is a
link for "See more recommended extensions" for a link, and that has a
count of 22. Under the "Explore all Android extensions" sections is a
link for "See more trending extensions". Although it says "trending"
(which is apparently just a sort order), that seems to show a list of
many, and has a count of 574.

I added the 2 counts, but the recommended ones might be an overlapped
list of the "trending" ones. That would explain the 22 extraneous
counts, and 574 should be the count to go by (which is couple more than
were reported to you).

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<1akqbjdf6847u$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48779&group=comp.mobile.android#48779

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:19:45 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 02:19 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> That makes sense but I never found how to make a tab, so I didn't know
> they always had tabs. Before this Xiaomi phone I've had a Samsung
> phone, and 2 other brands that escape me right now. Never found how to
> do tabs on any of them . :-(

In Firefox mobile, tap on the square toolbar icon with a tab count
inside of it. If no tabs are loaded, a count of 0 (zero) is shown
inside the box. In the list or grid of tabs (you can configure which
view to use), tap the "+" icon at the lower right to create a new tab.

If you long-tap the square icon with tab count in the toolbar, you can
open a new private tab.

To close tabs, go into the tab list to use the "X" button on each tab
you want to close.

Rather than leave Firefox loaded in the background when I leave it, I
use the Quit option in its menu. Then Firefox really is unloaded
instead of just closing its window to leave it running in the background
until the Android OS decides it needs that memory for a new process.
You could configure Firefox Mobile to reload the last tab, but I have it
configured to purge all locally cached data on its exit. I don't use
any of the home-page crapola, but have FF configured to open to a blank
page.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<kvfh06Fn7shU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48782&group=comp.mobile.android#48782

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 10:03:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 10:03 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> In Firefox mobile, tap on the square toolbar icon with a tab count
> inside of it. If no tabs are loaded, a count of 0 (zero) is shown
> inside the box.

Here it usually displays ∞ in the box.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<1h2a1wnogwhc6.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48788&group=comp.mobile.android#48788

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 09:43:14 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:43 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> In Firefox mobile, tap on the square toolbar icon with a tab count
>> inside of it. If no tabs are loaded, a count of 0 (zero) is shown
>> inside the box.
>
> Here it usually displays ∞ in the box.

Is that when lots of tabs have been left open? I suppose the little
square box icon for tab mgmt can only show a 1-digit number, so a tab
count of 10, or more, would show a placeholder symbol, like infinity.
When I have zero tabs open, I see "0" in the square icon. I've never
had more than a couple tabs open at a time.

Or maybe you're confusing the private tab icon (looks like a mask) with
the tab icon. The tab icon is in the toolbar. The private icon is in
the doc window area, not in the toolbar. It's the same icon you see in
the desktop Firefox at the left of a private tab. Unlike the desktop
version, the mobile version only lets you toggle in and out of private
mode. You cannot have a combo of non-private and private tabs
concurrently open.

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<kvg6kiFqu0jU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48789&group=comp.mobile.android#48789

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:13:07 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:13 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Here it usually displays ∞ in the box.
>
> Is that when lots of tabs have been left open? I suppose the little
> square box icon for tab mgmt can only show a 1-digit number, so a tab
> count of 10, or more, would show a placeholder symbol, like infinity.

I think it shows infinity (definitely no confusion with the incognito
mask) after 99 tabs - not helped by its concept of returning you to
recent tabs while letting older ones pile-up as inactive tabs, I've just
set it to auto-close after a month, I must have had several hundred, got
bored closing them one by one, eventually just closed them all

Re: Web browser with tabs.

<moeokyxu9mmn$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48791&group=comp.mobile.android#48791

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 12:44:28 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 18:44 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Here it usually displays ∞ in the box.
>>
>> Is that when lots of tabs have been left open? I suppose the little
>> square box icon for tab mgmt can only show a 1-digit number, so a tab
>> count of 10, or more, would show a placeholder symbol, like infinity.
>
> I think it shows infinity (definitely no confusion with the incognito
> mask) after 99 tabs - not helped by its concept of returning you to
> recent tabs while letting older ones pile-up as inactive tabs, I've just
> set it to auto-close after a month, I must have had several hundred, got
> bored closing them one by one, eventually just closed them all

I have FF purge all of its locally cached data when it exits. Not when
its window closes and FF is left running in the background, but when I
use the Quit option in its menu. So, I never end up with more than a
couple tabs opened in FF mobile (and the same for FF desktop). When I
start FF (mobile or desktop), it has zero tabs. I know I'm different
than other folks that want to load an app to have it in the same state
it was when "closed".