From: slo...@netcom.com (slothe)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,rec.travel.air,talk.politics.guns
Subject: iPhone falls 16,000 feet - and lives!
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:51:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GH2NkHmodUNzNO3fApJF0N7fra4= sha256:PcQ27dAZjzh0/hmA0YMEFvOB8dPXVyVyDMKXE+/7D4w=
 by: slothe - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:51 UTC

Passenger phone found on ground after Alaska Airlines emergency

As Sean Bates went for a Sunday walk in Oregon, he was keeping an eye out
for the door plug from Alaska Airlines Flight 1282.

The National Transportation Safety Board had asked the public for help
locating the plug, which fell out of the Boeing 737 Max 9 moments after it
took off from Portland International Airport on Friday night.

Bates had been scanning for the plug or other debris and as he walked
along Barnes Road in Portland. But instead of the door plug, he found
something that belonged to a passenger, he said.

"I found a phone sitting on the side of the road that had apparently
fallen 16,000 feet," Bates said in a video recorded for social media
Sunday.

https://twitter.com/SeanSafyre/status/1744203705178845510?s=20

The phone Bates found under a roadside bush was fairly clean, he said. He
noted that there were no scratches on it when he picked it up.

He said he was "a little skeptical" when he first found it, thinking
perhaps it may have been tossed out of a passing vehicle. But the phone
wasn't locked, so he opened it up, he said.

"It was in airplane mode with a travel confirmation and baggage claim for
Alaska 1282," Bates said. "So, I had to go call the NTSB."

https://i.abcnewsfe.com/a/f011c059-f3bc-4e1b-af1e-bd2ec8ced07d/sean-bates-
phone_1704706368706_hpEmbed_3x2.jpg

Bates said an NTSB staffer told him is was the second passenger phone
found from the flight. The NTSB confirmed the incident.

The door plug was found by a teacher in their backyard Sunday, the NTSB
said later. The organization said it plans to retrieve it.

Six crew members and 171 passengers were on board Flight 1282 bound for
Ontario, California, the airline said. The plane landed safely after the
in-flight emergency.

"The safety of our guests and employees is always our primary priority,"
Alaska said in a statement, "so while this type of occurrence is rare, our
flight crew was trained and prepared to safely manage the situation."

ABC News' Amanda Maile, Sam Sweeney and Kevin Shalvey contributed to this
story.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/passenger-phone-found-ground-after-alaska-
airlines-emergency/story?id=106186623

Re: iPhone falls 16,000 feet - and lives!

<unhp47$3vk0c$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48949&group=comp.mobile.android#48949

From: larrywo...@larrywolff.net (Larry Wolff)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,rec.travel.air,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: iPhone falls 16,000 feet - and lives!
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 16:23:19 -0500
 by: Larry Wolff - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 21:23 UTC

On 1/8/2024 8:51 PM, slothe wrote:

> Passenger phone found on ground after Alaska Airlines emergency

The height doesn't matter so much as the terminal velocity does.
(https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6813341/Terminal_Velocity_of_Phone__Rev3.0.pdf)

Terminal velocity in that tested phone varied from pure calculations.
But they concluded around 40mph as the terminal velocity of a smartphone.

If it lands in a lucky soft spot, it shouldn't be scratched at all.
No matter what the make and model of the phone is.

Even people have fallen over 6 miles & survived (taller than Mt. Everest).
https://www.statista.com/chart/19708/known-occasions-where-people-survived-falls/

Terminal velocity of a human is about 120mph.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_skydiving

Re: iPhone falls 16,000 feet - and lives!

<9QknN.136896$Ama9.55962@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48971&group=comp.mobile.android#48971

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,rec.travel.air,talk.politics.guns
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 18:40:53 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 23:40 UTC

On 2024-01-08 15:51, slothe wrote:
> Passenger phone found on ground after Alaska Airlines emergency

Not all that surprising. Two phones found. Not sure what the other one
was.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: iPhone falls 16,000 feet - and lives!

<i681qitfmjpcrian8oqnje7pie0mmk94st@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49013&group=comp.mobile.android#49013

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,rec.travel.air,talk.politics.guns
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:20:45 -0500
 by: micky - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 02:20 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:51:22 -0000 (UTC), slothe
<slothe@netcom.com> wrote:

>Passenger phone found on ground after Alaska Airlines emergency
>
>As Sean Bates went for a Sunday walk in Oregon, he was keeping an eye out
>for the door plug from Alaska Airlines Flight 1282.
>
>The National Transportation Safety Board had asked the public for help
>locating the plug, which fell out of the Boeing 737 Max 9 moments after it
>took off from Portland International Airport on Friday night.
>
>Bates had been scanning for the plug or other debris and as he walked
>along Barnes Road in Portland. But instead of the door plug, he found
>something that belonged to a passenger, he said.
>
>"I found a phone sitting on the side of the road that had apparently
>fallen 16,000 feet," Bates said in a video recorded for social media
>Sunday.
>
>https://twitter.com/SeanSafyre/status/1744203705178845510?s=20
>
>The phone Bates found under a roadside bush was fairly clean, he said. He
>noted that there were no scratches on it when he picked it up.
>
>He said he was "a little skeptical" when he first found it, thinking
>perhaps it may have been tossed out of a passing vehicle. But the phone
>wasn't locked, so he opened it up, he said.

I've ridden a plane too, and this is why I don't lock my phone.

>"It was in airplane mode with a travel confirmation and baggage claim for
>Alaska 1282," Bates said. "So, I had to go call the NTSB."
>
>https://i.abcnewsfe.com/a/f011c059-f3bc-4e1b-af1e-bd2ec8ced07d/sean-bates-phone_1704706368706_hpEmbed_3x2.jpg
>
>Bates said an NTSB staffer told him is was the second passenger phone
>found from the flight. The NTSB confirmed the incident.
>
>The door plug was found by a teacher in their backyard Sunday, the NTSB
>said later. The organization said it plans to retrieve it.
>
>Six crew members and 171 passengers were on board Flight 1282 bound for
>Ontario, California, the airline said. The plane landed safely after the
>in-flight emergency.
>
>"The safety of our guests and employees is always our primary priority,"
>Alaska said in a statement, "so while this type of occurrence is rare, our
>flight crew was trained and prepared to safely manage the situation."
>
>ABC News' Amanda Maile, Sam Sweeney and Kevin Shalvey contributed to this
>story.
>
>https://abcnews.go.com/US/passenger-phone-found-ground-after-alaska-airlines-emergency/story?id=106186623

Very interesting. I heard that a teenager in the middle seat had his
t-shirt sucked right off of him, and his mother in the aisle seat was
holding on to him to keep him from being sucked out. That's why you
should never travel alone.