Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:47:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Do you know of a free Android SMBv2 (or SMBv3) client?
From: tttqk...@gmail.com (Paul Mac)
 by: Paul Mac - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 08:47 UTC

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:27:32 PM UTC-7, Arlen Holder wrote:
> UPDATE:
>
> Woo hoo!
> o *I was able to get 3 free Android _SMBv2_ clients to work with Windows*..
>
> As always, to help others with every thread that is posted to Usenet,
> o This is how I set up SMBv2 connections between Android & Windows.
>
> Windows:
> 1. Settings > Network & Internet > Change connection properties >
> Network: Network profile (o) Private
> 2. Settings > Network & Internet > change your network settings >
> Sharing options > Change sharing options for different network profiles
> Private (current profile) Network discovery >
> When network discovery is on, this computer can see other network
> computers and devices and is visible to other network computers.
> (o) Turn on network discovery
> [x]Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices.
> 3. Settings > Network & Internet > change your network settings >
> Sharing options > Change sharing options for different network profiles
> All Networks: Public folder sharing >
> When Public folder sharing is on, people on the network, including
> homegroup members, can access files in the Public folders.
> (o)Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write
> files in the Public folders
> 4. Settings > Network & Internet > change your network settings >
> Sharing options > Change sharing options for different network profiles
> All Networks: Password protected sharing >
> When password protected sharing is on, only people who have a user
> account and password on this computer can access shared files,
> printers attached to this computer, and the Public folders.
> To give other people access, you must turn off password
> protected sharing.
> (o)Turn on password protected sharing
> 5. [Save changes]
> 6. In Windows file explorer, right click on the public folder to be shared:
> Properties > Sharing > [Share] > (username) > [Share] > [Done] > [Close]
> 7. Make a note of the PC IP address (if NETBIOS is flaky).
> Settings > Network & Internet > Change connection properties >
> IP settings > IPv4 address: 192.168.1.xxx
>
> Android:
> A. You can obtain the free *MiXplorer* APK here (it's not on Google Play):
> <https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4966993&d=1583692659>
> B. Obtain the MiXplorer SMBv2 client plugin via Google Play:
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mixplorer.addon.smb>
> C. Launch MiXplorer > top-left (big) hamburger >
> top-right (small) hamburger > Add storage > LAN (Samba) > Search local
> (it should find your pc in the resulting NETBIOS list)
> If that does not find your PC due to NETBIOS issues, then:
> C. Launch MiXplorer > top-left (big) hamburger >
> top-right (small) hamburger > Add storage > LAN (Samba) >
> smb://192.168.1.xxx
> Username = <put the Windows username used in sharing>
> Password = <put the password for that Windows username>
> [...]

Hi Arlen,
Thank you and others for all your hard work plodding through this material.

I'm new at this topic so I have comparatively mediocre information to offer, 'purposefully helpful intentions' nonetheless.
I researched your questions from your previous text:
"2. I set up Windows 10 to allow SMBv1 (in addition to SMBv2, & SMBv3):
o Start > Run > control > OK
o Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off >
o Change from:
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal <=== I'm not sure what this is??? <<-------
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
[x]SMB Direct
o Change to:
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal <=== I'm not sure what this is??? <<-------
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
[x]SMB Direct
o Reboot".

SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal = "Automatically removes support for the legacy SMB 1.0/CIFS protocol when such support isn't actively needed during normal system usage."
I'd like to cite my source but that has escaped me now.

I hope I've helped.
Paul