Harrison's Postulate: For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Location doesn't update

SubjectAuthor
* Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
+- Re: Location doesn't updateLarry Wolff
+- Re: Location doesn't updateDave Roya
`* Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
 +* Re: Location doesn't updateJörg Lorenz
 |`- Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
 `* Re: Location doesn't updateFrank Slootweg
  +* Re: Location doesn't updateCarlos E.R.
  |+* Re: Location doesn't updateFrank Slootweg
  ||+- Re: Location doesn't updateCarlos E.R.
  ||`* Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  || `* Re: Location doesn't updateFrank Slootweg
  ||  `* Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  ||   `* Re: Location doesn't updateFrank Slootweg
  ||    `* Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  ||     `* Re: Location doesn't updateFrank Slootweg
  ||      +- Re: Location doesn't updateBill Powell
  ||      `- Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  |`* Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  | +- Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  | `* Re: Location doesn't updateCarlos E.R.
  |  `* Re: Location doesn't updatesticks
  |   `- Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev
  `- Re: Location doesn't updateThe Real Bev

1
Location doesn't update

<unqeql$3bihc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49017&group=comp.mobile.android#49017

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Location doesn't update
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 20:22:43 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 04:22 UTC

Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
other way to make 'phone' calls.

It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
destination.

T-Mobile clearly has connection along the freeways I was using. I have
only tried to make a few phone calls outside my home since I've had the
SIM; the one up in the mountains was of VERY poor quality, but was
equally rotten/impossible when I was using the actual T-Mobile SIM.
When I was out of the mountains and near a freeway the call worked fine,
as did the few others I made.

WTF? Is location data somehow different from text or voice data? This
makes no sense to me.

--
Cheers, Bev
"What fresh hell is this?" -- Dorothy Parker

Re: Location doesn't update

<unqh9l$105al$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49018&group=comp.mobile.android#49018

From: larrywo...@larrywolff.net (Larry Wolff)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Location doesn't update
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 00:04:52 -0500
 by: Larry Wolff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 05:04 UTC

On 1/11/2024 11:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> Is location data somehow different from text or voice data?

There is a simple answer, which I'm sure of, but then there is the
complicated answer which I have no idea of - so others will pitch in.

First off, of course location data is different in terms of you can have
all your radios off but you have Google scanning on, and Google gets it.

How Google does that exactly, I don't know. They did get sued for doing it
too much, but they still do it as it's in Android settings that they can.

Re: Location doesn't update

<unqrkj$3cuvt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49019&group=comp.mobile.android#49019

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:01:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:01 UTC

On 11 Jan 2024 20:22:43 -0800 The Real Bev wrote:
>Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
>other way to make 'phone' calls.
>
>It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
>as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
>chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
>maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
>another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
>destination.
>
>T-Mobile clearly has connection along the freeways I was using. I have
>only tried to make a few phone calls outside my home since I've had the
>SIM; the one up in the mountains was of VERY poor quality, but was
>equally rotten/impossible when I was using the actual T-Mobile SIM.
>When I was out of the mountains and near a freeway the call worked fine,
>as did the few others I made.
>
>WTF? Is location data somehow different from text or voice data? This
>makes no sense to me.

There a thread on this ng a few months ago about a similar problem?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Location doesn't update

<unt8cf$3r5u9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49031&group=comp.mobile.android#49031

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:51:10 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 05:51 UTC

On 1/11/24 8:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
> other way to make 'phone' calls.
>
> It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
> as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
> chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
> maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
> another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
> destination.

Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(

Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
to test).

Never mind...

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Location doesn't update

<unt8tf$3r6pd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49032&group=comp.mobile.android#49032

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 07:00:15 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 06:00 UTC

On 13.01.24 06:51, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 1/11/24 8:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
>> other way to make 'phone' calls.
>>
>> It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
>> as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
>> chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
>> maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
>> another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
>> destination.
>
> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
>
> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
> to test).

If it so important to you: Did you ever try a factory reset?

> Never mind...

To use this feature I think you need a permanent connection to a public
network which seems to be T-Mobile in your case.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: Location doesn't update

<unteoa$3rv1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49033&group=comp.mobile.android#49033

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 23:39:52 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 07:39 UTC

On 1/12/24 10:00 PM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 13.01.24 06:51, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 1/11/24 8:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
>>> other way to make 'phone' calls.
>>>
>>> It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
>>> as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
>>> chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
>>> maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
>>> another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
>>> destination.
>>
>> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
>>
>> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
>> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
>> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
>> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
>> to test).
>
> If it so important to you: Did you ever try a factory reset?
>
>> Never mind...
>
> To use this feature I think you need a permanent connection to a public
> network which seems to be T-Mobile in your case.

It actually works with the data SIM which connects to T-Mobile. Amazing
how much data is used by what I assume is simple handshaking.

It would be nice if we could see the menu hierarchy tree all at once.
If they can give you a blowup of something as complex as a motorcycle
engine, why not do the same for the menu?
--
Cheers, Bev
If you are going to try cross-country skiing,

Re: Location doesn't update

<unu73l.ovk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49036&group=comp.mobile.android#49036

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 13 Jan 2024 13:35:44 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:35 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/11/24 8:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> > Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
> > other way to make 'phone' calls.
> >
> > It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
> > as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
> > chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
> > maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
> > another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
> > destination.
>
> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
>
> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
> to test).
>
> Never mind...

I just tried switching Maps' 'Wi-Fi only' setting on and off. When you
switch it on, it shortly gives a popup:

"Wi-Fi ony turned on. When there's no Wi-Fi network,
only your offline maps will work."

If you had off-line maps of your area(s), which you probably had, that
indeed explains why Maps continued to show your position to *you*, but
not update your position as it is shared with *others*.

Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))

Re: Location doesn't update

<jpia7kx55c.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49037&group=comp.mobile.android#49037

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:20:03 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:20 UTC

On 2024-01-13 14:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/11/24 8:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
>>> other way to make 'phone' calls.
>>>
>>> It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
>>> as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
>>> chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
>>> maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
>>> another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
>>> destination.
>>
>> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
>>
>> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
>> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
>> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
>> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
>> to test).
>>
>> Never mind...
>
> I just tried switching Maps' 'Wi-Fi only' setting on and off. When you
> switch it on, it shortly gives a popup:
>
> "Wi-Fi ony turned on. When there's no Wi-Fi network,
> only your offline maps will work."
>
> If you had off-line maps of your area(s), which you probably had, that
> indeed explains why Maps continued to show your position to *you*, but
> not update your position as it is shared with *others*.

Hum.

One thing is having the map displaying the location, and another is the
phone knowing the exact location. The later is known as long as you have
phone service, or GPS, and the phone can share it with others if asked
to. No need to have the map running.

Unless you are talking of Google Maps location sharing feature.

> Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
> of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))

Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
clickable.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Location doesn't update

<unuc1d.jvo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49038&group=comp.mobile.android#49038

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 13 Jan 2024 14:59:51 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:59 UTC

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2024-01-13 14:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
> >>
> >> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
> >> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
> >> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
> >> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
> >> to test).
> >>
> >> Never mind...
> >
> > I just tried switching Maps' 'Wi-Fi only' setting on and off. When you
> > switch it on, it shortly gives a popup:
> >
> > "Wi-Fi ony turned on. When there's no Wi-Fi network,
> > only your offline maps will work."
> >
> > If you had off-line maps of your area(s), which you probably had, that
> > indeed explains why Maps continued to show your position to *you*, but
> > not update your position as it is shared with *others*.
>
> Hum.
>
> One thing is having the map displaying the location, and another is the
> phone knowing the exact location. The later is known as long as you have
> phone service, or GPS, and the phone can share it with others if asked
> to. No need to have the map running.
>
> Unless you are talking of Google Maps location sharing feature.

Yes, that's what I understand Bev is talking about:

[Rewind/repeat:]

Note "google maps" and "share my location".

> > Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
> > of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))
>
> Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
> clickable.

This one is tap-able, so it's a good implementation. But even if it
wasn't tap-able, the *text* should be a clue that probably mobile data
isn't going to be used to share your changing/changed position with
others (other devices).

But we all overlook the obvious at times, so no offense intended.

Re: Location doesn't update

<5u2b7kxcdd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49039&group=comp.mobile.android#49039

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:55:33 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 18:55 UTC

On 2024-01-13 15:59, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2024-01-13 14:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
>>> of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))
>>
>> Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
>> clickable.
>
> This one is tap-able, so it's a good implementation. But even if it
> wasn't tap-able, the *text* should be a clue that probably mobile data
> isn't going to be used to share your changing/changed position with
> others (other devices).
>
> But we all overlook the obvious at times, so no offense intended.

On a computer, when hovering the mouse you can detect that something is
clickable. On a phone, you don't have that hint.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Location doesn't update

<unv8dh$4v9o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49040&group=comp.mobile.android#49040

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:03:59 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:03 UTC

On 1/13/24 5:35 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/11/24 8:22 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> > Pixel 2, Keepgo 3GB data SIM which uses google voice for phone calls. No
>> > other way to make 'phone' calls.
>> >
>> > It uses T-Mobile as a data carrier, with the known limitations. As long
>> > as I can connect to a T-Mobile tower I can make calls and send google
>> > chat (wifi) messages. BUT my location doesn't update on the google
>> > maps of the people I share my location with unless I'm logged into
>> > another wifi source. Today it was my home network or the one at my
>> > destination.
>>
>> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
>>
>> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
>> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
>> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
>> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
>> to test).
>>
>> Never mind...
>
> I just tried switching Maps' 'Wi-Fi only' setting on and off. When you
> switch it on, it shortly gives a popup:
>
> "Wi-Fi ony turned on. When there's no Wi-Fi network,
> only your offline maps will work."
>
> If you had off-line maps of your area(s), which you probably had, that
> indeed explains why Maps continued to show your position to *you*, but
> not update your position as it is shared with *others*.
>
> Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
> of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))

Wasn't me. It was the keepgo helpguy who suggested looking at the map
settings. I don't think I'd ever looked at those since I configured my
first smartphone at least 10 years ago. The "...only offline..."
message was only shown as an explanation when I clicked on the wifi setting.

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,

Re: Location doesn't update

<unv8p7$50qr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49041&group=comp.mobile.android#49041

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:10:13 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:10 UTC

On 1/13/24 6:20 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-01-13 14:35, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, at least I get points for an accurate description of the problem :-(
>>>
>>> Ever since I've had a phone (and no data plan) google maps has had WIFI
>>> ONLY above the map. I had assumed that this was an informational
>>> message rather that the SETTING THAT IT ACTUALLY IS. Turned it off and
>>> lo and behold, there I am on the map. (Logged in to a different account
>>> to test).
>>>
>>> Never mind...
>>
>> I just tried switching Maps' 'Wi-Fi only' setting on and off. When you
>> switch it on, it shortly gives a popup:
>>
>> "Wi-Fi ony turned on. When there's no Wi-Fi network,
>> only your offline maps will work."
>>
>> If you had off-line maps of your area(s), which you probably had, that
>> indeed explains why Maps continued to show your position to *you*, but
>> not update your position as it is shared with *others*.
>
> Hum.
>
> One thing is having the map displaying the location, and another is the
> phone knowing the exact location. The later is known as long as you have
> phone service, or GPS, and the phone can share it with others if asked
> to. No need to have the map running.
>
> Unless you are talking of Google Maps location sharing feature.

Yes, that's what I meant.

>> Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
>> of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))

I thought it was descriptive, generated by the phone itself, rather than
the result of a choice. Duh.

> Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
> clickable.

Absolutely. It was not at all obvious that I could click on that -- I
just turned on my phone to try it. Double Duh.

Now if somebody could tell me how to get rid of the useless crap that
always occupies the bottom third of the screen I'd be REALLY happy.
I've NEVER wanted to know about nearby hotels...

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,
deliverable e-mail address. Of all the sins committed by the
spammers, destroying the viability of the open Internet was the worst.
(Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, news.admin.net-abuse.email)

Re: Location doesn't update

<unv8vu$50qr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49042&group=comp.mobile.android#49042

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:13:50 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:13 UTC

On 1/13/24 6:59 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> > I just tried switching Maps' 'Wi-Fi only' setting on and off. When you
>> > switch it on, it shortly gives a popup:
>> >
>> > "Wi-Fi ony turned on. When there's no Wi-Fi network,
>> > only your offline maps will work."
>> >
>> > If you had off-line maps of your area(s), which you probably had, that
>> > indeed explains why Maps continued to show your position to *you*, but
>> > not update your position as it is shared with *others*.
>>
>> Hum.
>>
>> One thing is having the map displaying the location, and another is the
>> phone knowing the exact location. The later is known as long as you have
>> phone service, or GPS, and the phone can share it with others if asked
>> to. No need to have the map running.
>>
>> Unless you are talking of Google Maps location sharing feature.
>
> Yes, that's what I understand Bev is talking about:
>
> [Rewind/repeat:]

> Note "google maps" and "share my location".
>
>> > Kudos for finding the cause! (OTOH, "WI-FI ONLY" (in caps) at the top
>> > of the screen is quite a clue-by-four! :-))
>>
>> Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
>> clickable.
>
> This one is tap-able, so it's a good implementation. But even if it
> wasn't tap-able, the *text* should be a clue that probably mobile data
> isn't going to be used to share your changing/changed position with
> others (other devices).

Not if it isn't obvious that it's tappable, and it clearly wasn't. Even
with a desktop browser it's not always obvious that something is a link,
but ambiguity is even worse on a phone.

> But we all overlook the obvious at times, so no offense intended.

If you're aiming to offend ME you gotta try a lot harder!

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,
deliverable e-mail address. Of all the sins committed by the
spammers, destroying the viability of the open Internet was the worst.
(Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, news.admin.net-abuse.email)

Re: Location doesn't update

<unv931$50qr$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49043&group=comp.mobile.android#49043

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:15:28 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 00:15 UTC

Bottom third of the GOOGLE MAPS screen.

--
Cheers, Bev
I remember when everybody posted to Usenet with their real,
deliverable e-mail address. Of all the sins committed by the
spammers, destroying the viability of the open Internet was the worst.
(Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, news.admin.net-abuse.email)

Re: Location doesn't update

<j6vb7kxfon.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49045&group=comp.mobile.android#49045

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 03:57:55 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 02:57 UTC

On 2024-01-14 01:10, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 1/13/24 6:20 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
>> clickable.
>
> Absolutely.  It was not at all obvious that I could click on that -- I
> just turned on my phone to try it.  Double Duh.
>
> Now if somebody could tell me how to get rid of the useless crap that
> always occupies the bottom third of the screen I'd be REALLY happy. I've
> NEVER wanted to know about nearby hotels...

{Chuckle}

My TomTom insists on telling me where there is a charging spot for my
car. And when downloading updates (which can be daily) it wants to
download the modifications on the list of charging points for Europe.
And that's 150 Mb over a slow link.

Well... that would be helpful for some, but my car still drinks gasoline.

(yes, I disabled "display charge POI in map")

A previous incumbent displayed the banking machines, which were more
useful. It displayed so many things that it obscured the map. There was
a config to choose what to display.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Location doesn't update

<unvl1q$a89o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49046&group=comp.mobile.android#49046

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 21:39:38 -0600
 by: sticks - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 03:39 UTC

On 1/13/2024 8:57 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> {Chuckle}
>
> My TomTom insists on telling me where there is a charging spot for my
> car. And when downloading updates (which can be daily) it wants to
> download the modifications on the list of charging points for Europe.
> And that's 150 Mb over a slow link.
>
> Well... that would be helpful for some, but my car still drinks gasoline.

I've not been able to figure out how to stop that on mine either.
Frustrating that there isn't an option to not have that as an update.

--
Stand With Israel!
NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you,

Re: Location doesn't update

<unvrrt$b4a4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49053&group=comp.mobile.android#49053

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 21:35:55 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 05:35 UTC

On 1/13/24 7:39 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 1/13/2024 8:57 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>
>> {Chuckle}
>>
>> My TomTom insists on telling me where there is a charging spot for my
>> car. And when downloading updates (which can be daily) it wants to
>> download the modifications on the list of charging points for Europe.
>> And that's 150 Mb over a slow link.
>>
>> Well... that would be helpful for some, but my car still drinks gasoline.
>
> I've not been able to figure out how to stop that on mine either.
> Frustrating that there isn't an option to not have that as an update.

If there was ever a use for the TMI abbreviation, this is it. Why can't
the damn thing realize that when I want to know I'll ask!

--
Cheers, Bev
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the straps.

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo10uc.kpk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49079&group=comp.mobile.android#49079

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 14 Jan 2024 15:09:21 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:09 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/13/24 6:59 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Hum.
> >>
> >> One thing is having the map displaying the location, and another is the
> >> phone knowing the exact location. The later is known as long as you have
> >> phone service, or GPS, and the phone can share it with others if asked
> >> to. No need to have the map running.
> >>
> >> Unless you are talking of Google Maps location sharing feature.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I understand Bev is talking about:
> >
> > [Rewind/repeat:]

> > Note "google maps" and "share my location".

> >> Sometimes it is not clear if a text (or graphic) is just text or also is
> >> clickable.
> >
> > This one is tap-able, so it's a good implementation. But even if it
> > wasn't tap-able, the *text* should be a clue that probably mobile data
> > isn't going to be used to share your changing/changed position with
> > others (other devices).
>
> Not if it isn't obvious that it's tappable, and it clearly wasn't. Even
> with a desktop browser it's not always obvious that something is a link,
> but ambiguity is even worse on a phone.

Tough crowd!

Again, it's not about it being tappable or not and not about whether
that is clear or not. It's about what the *TEXT* *SAYS*.

The text says "WI-FI ONLY" and that should be a clue that you've to do
something to make mobile data work. In *this* case the text is tappable,
but if you don't know/realize that, you should be on the lookout for
some setting somewhere and that's the very *setting* (not a tap) which I
mentioned in the first paragraph of my first response:

[Rewind/repeat:]

So there is a *setting* (in Settings) 'Wi-Fi only' (*mixed* case),
which is a on/off *switch* AND there's a *text* 'WI-FI ONLY' (*upper*
case), which is also a *tappable* off-switch.

> > But we all overlook the obvious at times, so no offense intended.
>
> If you're aiming to offend ME you gotta try a lot harder!

That's why I'm trying again. With all my asterisks for emphasis and
some uppercase thrown in, I hope a do a better job this time!

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo13hj$h38f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49085&group=comp.mobile.android#49085

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 08:53:05 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:53 UTC

On 1/14/24 7:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yes, that's what I understand Bev is talking about:
>> >
>> > [Rewind/repeat:]

>> > Note "google maps" and "share my location".

>> > This one is tap-able, so it's a good implementation. But even if it
>> > wasn't tap-able, the *text* should be a clue that probably mobile data
>> > isn't going to be used to share your changing/changed position with
>> > others (other devices).
>>
>> Not if it isn't obvious that it's tappable, and it clearly wasn't. Even
>> with a desktop browser it's not always obvious that something is a link,
>> but ambiguity is even worse on a phone.
>
> Tough crowd!
>
> Again, it's not about it being tappable or not and not about whether
> that is clear or not. It's about what the *TEXT* *SAYS*.
>
> The text says "WI-FI ONLY" and that should be a clue that you've to do
> something to make mobile data work. In *this* case the text is tappable,
> but if you don't know/realize that, you should be on the lookout for
> some setting somewhere and that's the very *setting* (not a tap) which I
> mentioned in the first paragraph of my first response:
>
> [Rewind/repeat:]

> So there is a *setting* (in Settings) 'Wi-Fi only' (*mixed* case),
> which is a on/off *switch* AND there's a *text* 'WI-FI ONLY' (*upper*
> case), which is also a *tappable* off-switch.

BUT since I had had no data plan for 10 years I assumed that the maps
message at the top was simply informative. Nothing indicated that it
was a switch. Actually, it's only an OFF switch. If you want to turn
wifi-only back on you have to go to the maps settings page.

Intuition will only get you so far when you're dependent on the ideas of
total strangers. That's why I hate hierarchical menus -- you have to
guess where a total stranger might have chosen to put something and how
it's displayed.

>> > But we all overlook the obvious at times, so no offense intended.
>>
>> If you're aiming to offend ME you gotta try a lot harder!
>
> That's why I'm trying again. With all my asterisks for emphasis and
> some uppercase thrown in, I hope a do a better job this time!

Sorry, no cigar yet.

--
Cheers, Bev
Cthulhu for President in 2024. Why vote for a lesser evil?

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo1hfr.b80.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49095&group=comp.mobile.android#49095

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 14 Jan 2024 19:51:17 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:51 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/24 7:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[...]

> > So there is a *setting* (in Settings) 'Wi-Fi only' (*mixed* case),
> > which is a on/off *switch* AND there's a *text* 'WI-FI ONLY' (*upper*
> > case), which is also a *tappable* off-switch.
>
> BUT since I had had no data plan for 10 years I assumed that the maps
> message at the top was simply informative. Nothing indicated that it
> was a switch. Actually, it's only an OFF switch. If you want to turn
> wifi-only back on you have to go to the maps settings page.
>
> Intuition will only get you so far when you're dependent on the ideas of
> total strangers. That's why I hate hierarchical menus -- you have to
> guess where a total stranger might have chosen to put something and how
> it's displayed.

Whinge, whinge! :-)

> >> If you're aiming to offend ME you gotta try a lot harder!
> >
> > That's why I'm trying again. With all my asterisks for emphasis and
> > some uppercase thrown in, I hope a do a better job this time!
>
> Sorry, no cigar yet.

Next time I'll just be my bastard Dutchie self! If that doesn't get
you in tears, I don't know what will!

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo1jp1$jkq2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49097&group=comp.mobile.android#49097

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:30:08 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:30 UTC

On 1/14/24 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/14/24 7:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> [...]
>
>> > So there is a *setting* (in Settings) 'Wi-Fi only' (*mixed* case),
>> > which is a on/off *switch* AND there's a *text* 'WI-FI ONLY' (*upper*
>> > case), which is also a *tappable* off-switch.
>>
>> BUT since I had had no data plan for 10 years I assumed that the maps
>> message at the top was simply informative. Nothing indicated that it
>> was a switch. Actually, it's only an OFF switch. If you want to turn
>> wifi-only back on you have to go to the maps settings page.
>>
>> Intuition will only get you so far when you're dependent on the ideas of
>> total strangers. That's why I hate hierarchical menus -- you have to
>> guess where a total stranger might have chosen to put something and how
>> it's displayed.
>
> Whinge, whinge! :-)

You speak Brit rather than Yank. Good to know.

>> > That's why I'm trying again. With all my asterisks for emphasis and
>> > some uppercase thrown in, I hope a do a better job this time!
>>
>> Sorry, no cigar yet.
>
> Next time I'll just be my bastard Dutchie self! If that doesn't get
> you in tears, I don't know what will!

Words won't hurt, but I suspect that a good stomping with those wooden
shoes might be bothersome...

--
Cheers, Bev
"When I was in college, the only job I could get was

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo3fv7.gmc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49102&group=comp.mobile.android#49102

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 15 Jan 2024 13:37:38 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 13:37 UTC

The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/14/24 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 1/14/24 7:09 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > [...]
> >>
> >> BUT since I had had no data plan for 10 years I assumed that the maps
> >> message at the top was simply informative. Nothing indicated that it
> >> was a switch. Actually, it's only an OFF switch. If you want to turn
> >> wifi-only back on you have to go to the maps settings page.
> >>
> >> Intuition will only get you so far when you're dependent on the ideas of
> >> total strangers. That's why I hate hierarchical menus -- you have to
> >> guess where a total stranger might have chosen to put something and how
> >> it's displayed.
> >
> > Whinge, whinge! :-)
>
> You speak Brit rather than Yank. Good to know.

Don't let the Brits hear that! It's actually (my attempt at) Strine.

> >> Sorry, no cigar yet.
> >
> > Next time I'll just be my bastard Dutchie self! If that doesn't get
> > you in tears, I don't know what will!
>
> Words won't hurt, but I suspect that a good stomping with those wooden
> shoes might be bothersome...

Hadn't yet thought of that. Thanks for the tip, you bludger.

<https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2018/05/oz-words-bludger>

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo4922$ogs2$1@matrix.hispagatos.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49115&group=comp.mobile.android#49115

From: bil...@anarchists.org (Bill Powell)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:45:39 +0100
References: <unqeql$3bihc$1@dont-email.me> <unt8cf$3r5u9$1@dont-email.me> <unu73l.ovk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <jpia7kx55c.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <unuc1d.jvo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <unv8vu$50qr$2@dont-email.me> <uo10uc.kpk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <uo13hj$h38f$1@dont-email.me> <uo1hfr.b80.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net> <uo1jp1$jkq2$1@dont-email.me> <uo3fv7.gmc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>
 by: Bill Powell - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:45 UTC

On 15 Jan 2024 13:37:38 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

>> Words won't hurt, but I suspect that a good stomping with those wooden
>> shoes might be bothersome...
>
> Hadn't yet thought of that. Thanks for the tip, you bludger.

Huzza!

But you're Probably Pronouncing "Huzza" Incorrectly.
https://youtu.be/wscseJ-FX5c?t=70

Re: Location doesn't update

<uo4u1u$19p9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49119&group=comp.mobile.android#49119

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 19:43:56 -0800
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 03:43 UTC

On 1/15/24 5:37 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/14/24 11:51 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<much snippage to save pixels>

>> > Whinge, whinge! :-)
>>
>> You speak Brit rather than Yank. Good to know.
>
> Don't let the Brits hear that! It's actually (my attempt at) Strine.

Strines are Brits. I'm sure you have an excellent reason for that attempt.

>> > Next time I'll just be my bastard Dutchie self! If that doesn't get
>> > you in tears, I don't know what will!
>>
>> Words won't hurt, but I suspect that a good stomping with those wooden
>> shoes might be bothersome...
>
> Hadn't yet thought of that. Thanks for the tip, you bludger.
>
> <https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/history-culture/2018/05/oz-words-bludger>

That's the best you can do? Pfaugh!

--
Cheers, Bev
Warning -- Driver carries less than $20 worth of ammunition