"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of code." -- an anonymous programmer

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

SubjectAuthor
* These things are not waterproof, are they?micky
+* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?VanguardLH
|`* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?micky
| `* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?VanguardLH
|  `* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?micky
|   +- Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?Carlos E.R.
|   `- Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?VanguardLH
+* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?Arno Welzel
|`- Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?micky
+- Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?Carlos E.R.
`* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?Jörg Lorenz
 `* Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?micky
  `- Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?Jörg Lorenz

1
These things are not waterproof, are they?

<r7p6qil721s1ligdcbn4862s4ghqi1tvhp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49049&group=comp.mobile.android#49049

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: These things are not waterproof, are they?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:40:15 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 04:40 UTC

I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.

These things are not waterproof, are they?

He was alone and could have looked at or taken the same pictures when he
wasn't in the pool. It was dark out already. I think the guy's a
fool.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<o4d6avx4cs6s$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49055&group=comp.mobile.android#49055

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:39:00 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 05:39 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at
> (but only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep
> and a guy had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>
> These things are not waterproof, are they?

Some phone (just some) are water resistent. The rating on the phone
tells you how deep and for how long, but just consider as the phone
getting splashed on a few times. The water resistent phone don't stay
resistent when held at their rated depth for too long. IP 68 means the
phone can survive against dust and up to 30 minutes at 1.5 meters depth
in water. These have a seal around the case, and means the battery is
not user serviceable. If you break open the case to replace the battery
(it is defective, won't charge, low capacity, bulging) then you destroy
the seal, and the phone is no longer water resistent.

As is typical of your posts, you don't mention your brand and model of
phone. Go online to get the specs on your phone to see what is its dust
and water resistence rating. The makers site may have the manual, and
the manual might say. Else, you could try gsmarena.com to search on
your phone to see its specifications. If you don't see the IP xx rating
then your phone is neither dust nor water resistent. You'll have to get
a case in which to put the phone, like
https://www.newegg.com/p/0S9-0CXP-000X7 for the Samsung S23, or cheap
bags with sealable end, like
https://www.newegg.com/p/0S9-04MD-00002?Item=9SIA34AHG16409.

I forgot I had a non-smart flip phone in the pocket of my swimming
trunks, went into the hot tub, and the phone was toast. The phone
functioned, but the screen wouldn't display anything. The rice trick
didn't work. I don't think it ever works. You can try opening a pouch
of silica pellets you find inside packaging to absorb water, but you'll
have to open the case. When I got home, I opened the case, and after a
week the display was still dead on the phone.

The sealed phones are water resistent, not waterproof. After long
enough exposure to water whether submerged or not, water will get
inside. Supposedly they can be submerged for 30 minutes, or less, for
about the length of your leg, but these ratings are just that, and don't
guarantee your particular phone will measure up. I'm sure if there was
a rating system, your phone might be rated for how long it could be held
over the stove burner on high and how far from the flame.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<iq27qid7rtnn3s9mfu2d9cep5ntnsmkpfs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49059&group=comp.mobile.android#49059

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 02:25:06 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 07:25 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:39:00 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at
>> (but only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep
>> and a guy had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>>
>> These things are not waterproof, are they?
>
>Some phone (just some) are water resistent. The rating on the phone
>tells you how deep and for how long, but just consider as the phone
>getting splashed on a few times. The water resistent phone don't stay
>resistent when held at their rated depth for too long. IP 68 means the
>phone can survive against dust and up to 30 minutes at 1.5 meters depth
>in water. These have a seal around the case, and means the battery is
>not user serviceable. If you break open the case to replace the battery
>(it is defective, won't charge, low capacity, bulging) then you destroy
>the seal, and the phone is no longer water resistent.
>
>As is typical of your posts, you don't mention your brand and model of

It wasn't my phone. It was some stranger's in the pool. I'm not taking
*my* phone out in the rain no matter what the maker says is its water
resistance.

>phone. Go online to get the specs on your phone to see what is its dust
>and water resistence rating. The makers site may have the manual, and
>the manual might say. Else, you could try gsmarena.com to search on
>your phone to see its specifications. If you don't see the IP xx rating
>then your phone is neither dust nor water resistent. You'll have to get
>a case in which to put the phone, like
>https://www.newegg.com/p/0S9-0CXP-000X7 for the Samsung S23, or cheap
>bags with sealable end, like
>https://www.newegg.com/p/0S9-04MD-00002?Item=9SIA34AHG16409.
>
>I forgot I had a non-smart flip phone in the pocket of my swimming
>trunks, went into the hot tub, and the phone was toast. The phone
>functioned, but the screen wouldn't display anything. The rice trick
>didn't work. I don't think it ever works. You can try opening a pouch
>of silica pellets you find inside packaging to absorb water, but you'll

I used to save all those bags. Thought when I had enough I could dry
out a flooded house.

>have to open the case. When I got home, I opened the case, and after a
>week the display was still dead on the phone.
>
>The sealed phones are water resistent, not waterproof. After long
>enough exposure to water whether submerged or not, water will get
>inside. Supposedly they can be submerged for 30 minutes, or less, for
>about the length of your leg, but these ratings are just that, and don't
>guarantee your particular phone will measure up. I'm sure if there was
>a rating system, your phone might be rated for how long it could be held
>over the stove burner on high and how far from the flame.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<1wov7ow291ir0.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49062&group=comp.mobile.android#49062

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 04:25:36 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:25 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:39:00 -0600, VanguardLH
> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy had his phone in the
>>> pool, taking pictures I think.
>>>
>>> These things are not waterproof, are they?
>>
>> Some phone (just some) are water resistent. The rating on the phone
>> tells you how deep and for how long, but just consider as the phone
>> getting splashed on a few times. The water resistent phone don't
>> stay resistent when held at their rated depth for too long. IP 68
>> means the phone can survive against dust and up to 30 minutes at 1.5
>> meters depth in water. These have a seal around the case, and means
>> the battery is not user serviceable. If you break open the case to
>> replace the battery (it is defective, won't charge, low capacity,
>> bulging) then you destroy the seal, and the phone is no longer water
>> resistent.
>>
>> As is typical of your posts, you don't mention your brand and model
>> of
>
> It wasn't my phone. It was some stranger's in the pool. I'm not taking
> *my* phone out in the rain no matter what the maker says is its water
> resistance.

So, now instead of asking about yourself, we have to field inquiries
about others you observe? You asked about "these things" being
waterproof which implies you wanted to know about your own thing.

>> ... cheap bags with sealable end, like
>> https://www.newegg.com/p/0S9-04MD-00002?Item=9SIA34AHG16409.
>
> I used to save all those bags. Thought when I had enough I could dry
> out a flooded house.

You have lots of those bags to save? I don't have "all those bags",
just the 2 that I bought. They don't come with phones.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<l0i2s2F6slhU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49068&group=comp.mobile.android#49068

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:37:22 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 12:37 UTC

micky, 2024-01-14 05:40:

> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
> only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
> had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>
> These things are not waterproof, are they?

There are many waterproof phones.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<3n2d7kx6ql.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49070&group=comp.mobile.android#49070

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:04:03 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:04 UTC

On 2024-01-14 05:40, micky wrote:
> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
> only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
> had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>
> These things are not waterproof, are they?

Some are, to different degrees.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<bgq7qidgpg37tgljqi8brv6garhh0c0qgf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49076&group=comp.mobile.android#49076

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:10:33 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:10 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 04:25:36 -0600, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 13 Jan 2024 23:39:00 -0600, VanguardLH
>> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>>> Some phone (just some) are water resistent. The rating on the phone
>>> tells you how deep and for how long, but just consider as the phone
>>> getting splashed on a few times. The water resistent phone don't
>>> stay resistent when held at their rated depth for too long. IP 68
>>> means the phone can survive against dust and up to 30 minutes at 1.5
>>> meters depth in water. These have a seal around the case, and means
>>> the battery is not user serviceable. If you break open the case to
>>> replace the battery (it is defective, won't charge, low capacity,
>>> bulging) then you destroy the seal, and the phone is no longer water
>>> resistent.
>>>
>>> As is typical of your posts, you don't mention your brand and model
>>> of
>>
>> It wasn't my phone. It was some stranger's in the pool. I'm not taking
>> *my* phone out in the rain no matter what the maker says is its water
>> resistance.
>
>So, now instead of asking about yourself, we have to field inquiries
>about others you observe? You asked about "these things" being
>waterproof which implies you wanted to know about your own thing.

Implies that to you. I don't think so. I said it was about some guy in
the pool and I thought he was a fool. I was asking if *he* was a fool.

Stop giving me a hard time. You're always giving me a hard time.

>>> ... cheap bags with sealable end, like
>>> https://www.newegg.com/p/0S9-04MD-00002?Item=9SIA34AHG16409.
>>
>> I used to save all those bags. Thought when I had enough I could dry
>> out a flooded house.
>
>You have lots of those bags to save? I don't have "all those bags",
>just the 2 that I bought. They don't come with phones.

And a lot of other things. Just recently they came with covid
self-tests.

BTW, I bought 2 self-tests in Guat, and the instructions were in
Japanese. There was a QR code and I thought, Aha! But the video was in
Japanese too. The tests were made in S. Korea. There were drawings and
graphics, but no English or Spanish. (Fortunately I'd taken tests I
got in the USA and I remembered, and still had, the instructions that
came with them. They were in English. )

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<drq7qihi50kda7tap5qefqk6qo654f0l51@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49077&group=comp.mobile.android#49077

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:11:31 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:11 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:37:22 +0100, Arno Welzel
<usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky, 2024-01-14 05:40:
>
>> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
>> only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
>> had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>>
>> These things are not waterproof, are they?
>
>There are many waterproof phones.

Maybe he had one. It's bad to think there are a lot of fools so it's
good to think maybe he's not one.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<uo121i$gjfu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49083&group=comp.mobile.android#49083

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 17:27:30 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:27 UTC

On 14.01.24 05:40, micky wrote:
> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
> only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
> had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>
> These things are not waterproof, are they?

Good ones are.

> He was alone and could have looked at or taken the same pictures when he
> wasn't in the pool. It was dark out already. I think the guy's a
> fool.

None of your business and ceratinly nothing for this NG.

*You are completely OT*, *Troll*

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<vqnd7kxoqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49092&group=comp.mobile.android#49092

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:04:31 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:04 UTC

On 2024-01-14 15:10, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 04:25:36 -0600, VanguardLH
> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>>> It wasn't my phone. It was some stranger's in the pool. I'm not taking
>>> *my* phone out in the rain no matter what the maker says is its water
>>> resistance.
>>
>> So, now instead of asking about yourself, we have to field inquiries
>> about others you observe? You asked about "these things" being
>> waterproof which implies you wanted to know about your own thing.
>
> Implies that to you. I don't think so. I said it was about some guy in
> the pool and I thought he was a fool. I was asking if *he* was a fool.
>
> Stop giving me a hard time. You're always giving me a hard time.

>>> I used to save all those bags. Thought when I had enough I could dry
>>> out a flooded house.
>>
>> You have lots of those bags to save? I don't have "all those bags",
>> just the 2 that I bought. They don't come with phones.
>
> And a lot of other things. Just recently they came with covid
> self-tests.
>
> BTW, I bought 2 self-tests in Guat, and the instructions were in
> Japanese. There was a QR code and I thought, Aha! But the video was in
> Japanese too. The tests were made in S. Korea. There were drawings and
> graphics, but no English or Spanish. (Fortunately I'd taken tests I
> got in the USA and I remembered, and still had, the instructions that
> came with them. They were in English. )

I think the instructions are the same for all tests; the variance are in
the number of seconds or minutes for each operation, the number of
drops, the number of twists of the probe in your nose...

But some include a mouth swab. Some you have to break the probe stick
inside the jar.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<134cd42dc8fhy.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49096&group=comp.mobile.android#49096

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 14:40:37 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:40 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> And a lot of other things. Just recently they came with covid
> self-tests.

There's nothing that comes part of product packaging that I would trust
to protect my phone. If all you care about is rain or light splashing,
get a ziplock bag to carry in your pocket (but do NOT fold across the
ziplock seal). The ones with a bracket on the send to prevent the seal
from opening are just for rain protection, not immersion regardless of
their claim. Cases designed for using a phone underwater are far more
expensive, like when scuba or skin diving, but then get an underwater
camera designed for that use.

For the joker bouncing in the pool, but not submerging his camera, might
be okay if his phone is water resistent (IP68 rating), or if he used a
ziplock bag, or a cheap phone bag. The IP ratings are for when you drop
your phone into a toilet, sink, or washbasin, not to go scuba diving
with it. I have to wonder just what photos were needed while splashing
in a pool that couldn't be taken sitting poolside.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<s63eqihptimvjcgfsrgl162j0quj0einre@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49154&group=comp.mobile.android#49154

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 18:10:39 -0500
 by: micky - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 23:10 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 17:27:30 +0100, Jörg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>On 14.01.24 05:40, micky wrote:
>> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
>> only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
>> had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>>
>> These things are not waterproof, are they?
>
>Good ones are.
>
>> He was alone and could have looked at or taken the same pictures when he
>> wasn't in the pool. It was dark out already. I think the guy's a
>> fool.
>
>None of your business and ceratinly nothing for this NG.
>
>*You are completely OT*, *Troll*

I'm glad I have you to keep me on the right path.

Re: These things are not waterproof, are they?

<uo7c6b$1mj45$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49159&group=comp.mobile.android#49159

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 02:57:31 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 01:57 UTC

On 17.01.24 00:10, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 14 Jan 2024 17:27:30 +0100, Jörg Lorenz
> <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 14.01.24 05:40, micky wrote:
>>> I'm at a hotel in SE Guatemala. First fancy place I've staayed at (but
>>> only $60 for one person), The pool is only 4 or 4.5 feet deep and a guy
>>> had his phone in the pool, taking pictures I think.
>>>
>>> These things are not waterproof, are they?
>>
>> Good ones are.
>>
>>> He was alone and could have looked at or taken the same pictures when he
>>> wasn't in the pool. It was dark out already. I think the guy's a
>>> fool.
>>
>> None of your business and ceratinly nothing for this NG.
>>
>> *You are completely OT*, *Troll*
>
> I'm glad I have you to keep me on the right path.

Your welcome.

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)