From: TimSlatt...@utexas.edu (Tim Slattery)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Another question aboutmy wife's new phone
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:17:20 -0500
 by: Tim Slattery - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:17 UTC

This is not particularly a problem, but I don't get why it happens.

The bottom row on the main screen does not change when you swipe to
bring up screen number two or three or whatever. That line is for apps
that you want to see on every screen. That's the way it has always
worked for me.

But on my wife's new phone, that line contains the icons of the most
recently used apps, not the important apps that you always want to
see. What's going on? Is there a way to toggle that behaviour?

--
Tim Slattery
timslattery <at> utexas <dot> edu

Re: Another question aboutmy wife's new phone

<l0nr5sF9holU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49134&group=comp.mobile.android#49134

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Another question aboutmy wife's new phone
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:02:53 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:02 UTC

Tim Slattery wrote:

> The bottom row on the main screen does not change when you swipe to
> bring up screen number two or three or whatever. That line is for apps
> that you want to see on every screen. That's the way it has always
> worked for me.
>
> But on my wife's new phone, that line contains the icons of the most
> recently used apps, not the important apps that you always want to
> see. What's going on? Is there a way to toggle that behaviour?

The behaviour on your phone sounds like the Google Pixel launcher,
possibly the "stock" AOSP launcher, she can install the Pixel one, or a
clone of it. or one of dozens/hundreds of alternatives

Re: Another question aboutmy wife's new phone

<l0qf39F1lfgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49204&group=comp.mobile.android#49204

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:55:05 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:55 UTC

Tim Slattery, 2024-01-16 17:17:

> The bottom row on the main screen does not change when you swipe to
> bring up screen number two or three or whatever. That line is for apps
> that you want to see on every screen. That's the way it has always
> worked for me.
>
> But on my wife's new phone, that line contains the icons of the most
> recently used apps, not the important apps that you always want to
> see. What's going on? Is there a way to toggle that behaviour?

The home screen of Android devices is managed by the "Launcher" app
which is installed on the device. If you don't like the behaviour as it
is, you may just try another one - there are many available, like these:

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher>

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ginlemon.flowerfree>

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=newer.galaxya.launcher>

--