MAC user's dynamic debugging list evaluator? Never heard of that.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Setup for a skewer

SubjectAuthor
* Setup for a skewerKenneth Litwak
+- Re: Setup for a skewerTom Kunich
+- Re: Setup for a skewerLou Holtman
`* Re: Setup for a skewerAMuzi
 `* Re: Setup for a skewerKenneth Litwak
  `* Re: Setup for a skewerAMuzi
   `* Re: Setup for a skewerLou Holtman
    `* Re: Setup for a skewerAMuzi
     `* Re: Setup for a skewerLou Holtman
      `* Re: Setup for a skewerAMuzi
       `* Re: Setup for a skewerTom Kunich
        `* Re: Setup for a skewerAMuzi
         `- Re: Setup for a skewerTom Kunich

1
Setup for a skewer

<663f0fb0-07d3-40ac-85f9-abaf863e9b0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49250&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49250

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:38:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Setup for a skewer
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 16:38 UTC

I've never had to use a new skewer before that proved to be a problem. I am trying to use one now that is a problem. It is specifically for an indoor trainer. I have inserter the skewer into the hub on the trainer. I have
a. quick release lever
b. spring
c. hub
d. spring
e. nut? that goes on the end of the skewer
When I try to put the frame on this, how do I get the dropouts to go on the "outside" for the springs? The skewer also came with a spacer, I think, but I'm told that my Trek Madone shouldn't need any spacers. Or, do I use that to address the issue of avoiding the spring? I once had a J-Disc and inserting a new skewer was never a problem. I don't know why this one is. Suggestions? Thanks.

Ken

Re: Setup for a skewer

<7f2ab80e-a75d-4a36-9ee5-be3751c7a732n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49259&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49259

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:10:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Setup for a skewer
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:10 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 8:38:19 AM UTC-8, kenneth...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've never had to use a new skewer before that proved to be a problem. I am trying to use one now that is a problem. It is specifically for an indoor trainer. I have inserter the skewer into the hub on the trainer. I have
> a. quick release lever
> b. spring
> c. hub
> d. spring
> e. nut? that goes on the end of the skewer
> When I try to put the frame on this, how do I get the dropouts to go on the "outside" for the springs? The skewer also came with a spacer, I think, but I'm told that my Trek Madone shouldn't need any spacers. Or, do I use that to address the issue of avoiding the spring? I once had a J-Disc and inserting a new skewer was never a problem. I don't know why this one is. Suggestions? Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333558530023?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item4da9a33fe7:g:HTEAAOSwJ7RYYaht&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSprd4IgPv6LBzlteBBg9Pe4fiy%252Fy2GHdYqjzxyv6XYTYTJzF%252Bsg5UK6YbogDzGi%252BAsgsCcw6%252Flpk2iFQXCXMaQ9aiHyyQYff%252FnkS3vPBUl1MxNkfgBBJsT52ZvunekLnRJDfvVagSc%252Fm7YvRZZOV3%252Fx2WaPNyK3oeyRIZphbinDo84%252FLPQRJl9jqML9LA3UCVXedWlfeCDUFwxiq2jjeuce%252FHB6GFy3tAnDdCpNXVDRknbwFZlUnO%252B5%252FEOQL2BvSZrdZBzjfGHoL%252B9oGrNz1E6rHJhDvph2bfOsXbeSt71PVGbwcbYRvZGl0IAELAM36S4VJ3eRwvzJiE1DEjJgrpQDqgTGsUCuiQ5%252Fx3J9qhrMe0vpRnDZqfy0zA%252BaF%252FV8E6SXd05uUxAJIbDp623mOQ1rWH4ZmxrszeJ%252F49tvmzJKYJEHVYl5EIeOy0o99SEVRoVYmpRCvgiCUs8AIdpmPNiXgkWikiCEglBTA%252Bi4cnWWErD8B%252BPEJbtZztfpB%252FZqhvLLZgdlb5Jlt2SHGQCoiO5yB95gFP6ag9nK1nJxs9Fpx5iolUXjl3NYTzBeGiqlKJ%252F2B6V5IJlBTD%252Bq7yaUh8VvUVhAdbR3aX5dmt%252BPlHB8aEhjdwLY7dp3UhQyPXyEqLvfSiFcRTj7h9VibkcFboVFPhGlpea1Zc4LFQpyc5l1C%252FuHrsL7vPKgVhPvJk6Bvm7i%252FeC0iHeBdISmj2NfQiuvroGrTVVDwAXRx%252FU%252FolaYbVrT5mmbxJg8F9pG9QnbWzpj1YUGrtzePDA2mN3BmCW7lq%252FQPX%252BU4IGCU%252Fmo6P0i7vBMfjrZVhWE1Pp02cm%252F%252FPiSNytXHaT%252FWZorDMnOujBw%253D%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzry5z8hf

Re: Setup for a skewer

<68286ff7-e86f-4ff5-b1ae-23216b4c15cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49262&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49262

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:21:19 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:21 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 5:38:19 PM UTC+1, kenneth...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've never had to use a new skewer before that proved to be a problem. I am trying to use one now that is a problem. It is specifically for an indoor trainer. I have inserter the skewer into the hub on the trainer. I have
> a. quick release lever
> b. spring
> c. hub
> d. spring
> e. nut? that goes on the end of the skewer
> When I try to put the frame on this, how do I get the dropouts to go on the "outside" for the springs? The skewer also came with a spacer, I think, but I'm told that my Trek Madone shouldn't need any spacers. Or, do I use that to address the issue of avoiding the spring? I once had a J-Disc and inserting a new skewer was never a problem. I don't know why this one is. Suggestions? Thanks.
>
> Ken

Did you put the springs in the right orientation? Do you have the right dimension skewer? The small diameter of the spring should be facing the hub. The springs just center the QR skewer relative to the hub.

Lou

Re: Setup for a skewer

<srhscb$sq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49266&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49266

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 12:02:50 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:02 UTC

On 1/10/2022 10:38 AM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> I've never had to use a new skewer before that proved to be a problem. I am trying to use one now that is a problem. It is specifically for an indoor trainer. I have inserter the skewer into the hub on the trainer. I have
> a. quick release lever
> b. spring
> c. hub
> d. spring
> e. nut? that goes on the end of the skewer
> When I try to put the frame on this, how do I get the dropouts to go on the "outside" for the springs? The skewer also came with a spacer, I think, but I'm told that my Trek Madone shouldn't need any spacers. Or, do I use that to address the issue of avoiding the spring? I once had a J-Disc and inserting a new skewer was never a problem. I don't know why this one is. Suggestions? Thanks.
>
> Ken

Springs go on the outside of the frame, pointy side in.
And they're vestigial, meaningless to you, so if you find
them annoying, leave them out; makes no difference to the
function of your skewer.

Close the skewer by pressing it with your palm. Adjust to a
moderate pressure such that you can see the skewer lever
imprint on your palm for a few seconds after- not a purple
bruise, just an imprint, should not be painful.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Setup for a skewer

<ffb6412d-2c6a-40f7-bf19-bb92c3ff7ec6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49543&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49543

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:11:23 -0800 (PST)
From: kennethd...@gmail.com (Kenneth Litwak)
 by: Kenneth Litwak - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 18:11 UTC

On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 10:02:55 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/10/2022 10:38 AM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> > I've never had to use a new skewer before that proved to be a problem. I am trying to use one now that is a problem. It is specifically for an indoor trainer. I have inserter the skewer into the hub on the trainer. I have
> > a. quick release lever
> > b. spring
> > c. hub
> > d. spring
> > e. nut? that goes on the end of the skewer
> > When I try to put the frame on this, how do I get the dropouts to go on the "outside" for the springs? The skewer also came with a spacer, I think, but I'm told that my Trek Madone shouldn't need any spacers. Or, do I use that to address the issue of avoiding the spring? I once had a J-Disc and inserting a new skewer was never a problem. I don't know why this one is. Suggestions? Thanks.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> Springs go on the outside of the frame, pointy side in.
> And they're vestigial, meaningless to you, so if you find
> them annoying, leave them out; makes no difference to the
> function of your skewer.
>
> Close the skewer by pressing it with your palm. Adjust to a
> moderate pressure such that you can see the skewer lever
> imprint on your palm for a few seconds after- not a purple
> bruise, just an imprint, should not be painful.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks, Andrew. I have the springs with the small end pointing toward the hub. The skewer is meant for the indoor trainer that I am using. I don't do much mechanical work oon my own bikes. I"ve changed a lot of flats and never noticed that the skewer had a spring on it. I'm with the ther being springs but how do I get the dropout for the reae wheel to be on the outside side of the spring? Thanks.

Re: Setup for a skewer

<srprtq$3s3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49546&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49546

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:44:13 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 18:44 UTC

On 1/13/2022 12:11 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 10:02:55 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 1/10/2022 10:38 AM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
>>> I've never had to use a new skewer before that proved to be a problem. I am trying to use one now that is a problem. It is specifically for an indoor trainer. I have inserter the skewer into the hub on the trainer. I have
>>> a. quick release lever
>>> b. spring
>>> c. hub
>>> d. spring
>>> e. nut? that goes on the end of the skewer
>>> When I try to put the frame on this, how do I get the dropouts to go on the "outside" for the springs? The skewer also came with a spacer, I think, but I'm told that my Trek Madone shouldn't need any spacers. Or, do I use that to address the issue of avoiding the spring? I once had a J-Disc and inserting a new skewer was never a problem. I don't know why this one is. Suggestions? Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>>
>> Springs go on the outside of the frame, pointy side in.
>> And they're vestigial, meaningless to you, so if you find
>> them annoying, leave them out; makes no difference to the
>> function of your skewer.
>>
>> Close the skewer by pressing it with your palm. Adjust to a
>> moderate pressure such that you can see the skewer lever
>> imprint on your palm for a few seconds after- not a purple
>> bruise, just an imprint, should not be painful.
>>

> Thanks, Andrew. I have the springs with the small end pointing toward the hub. The skewer is meant for the indoor trainer that I am using. I don't do much mechanical work oon my own bikes. I"ve changed a lot of flats and never noticed that the skewer had a spring on it. I'm with the ther being springs but how do I get the dropout for the reae wheel to be on the outside side of the spring? Thanks.

Sorry I was not clear.

The system works perfectly, and exactly the same, without
those little conical springs. Now is a good time to toss yours.

As noted in my reply above, if you do choose to install the
conical springs, they go, one left & one right, on the
_OUTSIDE_ of the frame ends. Pointy side in, big side out.

drawing with directions here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/SUZUEQR.JPG

I emphasize that this is not worth any amount of anguish.
Toss your springs.

For further discussion, the all-too-confusing volute springs
are there for team race support, which affects you not. In
pro racing, the mechanic can (and usually does) throw a
wheel up into the bike and lock it with blinding speed in
one smooth motion. Those springs center the skewer, saving
some fractional second from the process. All the time saved
in all the pro classics over ten years doesn't equal the
amount of fiddling, futzing, telephone calls, frustration
and dysfunction riders waste every day on these devices. At
least you didn't get them on backwards, as many do, such
that they just barely squeeze between axle and frame end to
screw up wheel alignment.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Setup for a skewer

<9912c7b4-490e-49f9-a59d-5c59e9bd17c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49547&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49547

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:33:36 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:33 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 7:44:13 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/13/2022 12:11 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

> >> Springs go on the outside of the frame, pointy side in.
> >> And they're vestigial, meaningless to you, so if you find
> >> them annoying, leave them out; makes no difference to the
> >> function of your skewer.
> >>
> >> Close the skewer by pressing it with your palm. Adjust to a
> >> moderate pressure such that you can see the skewer lever
> >> imprint on your palm for a few seconds after- not a purple
> >> bruise, just an imprint, should not be painful.
> >>

> > Thanks, Andrew. I have the springs with the small end pointing toward the hub. The skewer is meant for the indoor trainer that I am using. I don't do much mechanical work oon my own bikes. I"ve changed a lot of flats and never noticed that the skewer had a spring on it. I'm with the ther being springs but how do I get the dropout for the reae wheel to be on the outside side of the spring? Thanks.
> Sorry I was not clear.
>
> The system works perfectly, and exactly the same, without
> those little conical springs. Now is a good time to toss yours.
>
> As noted in my reply above, if you do choose to install the
> conical springs, they go, one left & one right, on the
> _OUTSIDE_ of the frame ends. Pointy side in, big side out.
>
> drawing with directions here:
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/SUZUEQR.JPG
>
> I emphasize that this is not worth any amount of anguish.
> Toss your springs.
>
> For further discussion, the all-too-confusing volute springs
> are there for team race support, which affects you not. In
> pro racing, the mechanic can (and usually does) throw a
> wheel up into the bike and lock it with blinding speed in
> one smooth motion. Those springs center the skewer, saving
> some fractional second from the process. All the time saved
> in all the pro classics over ten years doesn't equal the
> amount of fiddling, futzing, telephone calls, frustration
> and dysfunction riders waste every day on these devices. At
> least you didn't get them on backwards, as many do, such
> that they just barely squeeze between axle and frame end to
> screw up wheel alignment.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Toss your springs? I can’t imagine a situation in which installing a wheel, or a trainer in this case is easier without springs. Many people don’t know where the spring are for. I always say take them out. After that they will know. The OP should post some pictures on a hosting site. We are in the dark here.

Lou

Re: Setup for a skewer

<srpv95$s6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49549&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49549

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:41:27 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:41 UTC

On 1/13/2022 1:33 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 7:44:13 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Thanks, Andrew. I have the springs with the small end pointing toward the hub. The skewer is meant for the indoor trainer that I am using. I don't do much mechanical work oon my own bikes. I"ve changed a lot of flats and never noticed that the skewer had a spring on it. I'm with the ther being springs but how do I get the dropout for the reae wheel to be on the outside side of the spring? Thanks.
>> Sorry I was not clear.
>>
>> The system works perfectly, and exactly the same, without
>> those little conical springs. Now is a good time to toss yours.
>>
>> As noted in my reply above, if you do choose to install the
>> conical springs, they go, one left & one right, on the
>> _OUTSIDE_ of the frame ends. Pointy side in, big side out.
>>
>> drawing with directions here:
>> http://www.yellowjersey.org/SUZUEQR.JPG
>>
>> I emphasize that this is not worth any amount of anguish.
>> Toss your springs.
>>
>> For further discussion, the all-too-confusing volute springs
>> are there for team race support, which affects you not. In
>> pro racing, the mechanic can (and usually does) throw a
>> wheel up into the bike and lock it with blinding speed in
>> one smooth motion. Those springs center the skewer, saving
>> some fractional second from the process. All the time saved
>> in all the pro classics over ten years doesn't equal the
>> amount of fiddling, futzing, telephone calls, frustration
>> and dysfunction riders waste every day on these devices. At
>> least you didn't get them on backwards, as many do, such
>> that they just barely squeeze between axle and frame end to
>> screw up wheel alignment.

> Toss your springs? I can’t imagine a situation in which installing a wheel, or a trainer in this case is easier without springs. Many people don’t know where the spring are for. I always say take them out. After that they will know. The OP should post some pictures on a hosting site. We are in the dark here.

It's optional, suit yourself, skewer closes and locks fine
with them or without them (as long as they aren't
mangled/backwards/both on one side etc).

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Setup for a skewer

<9dfa3f76-e641-4bd9-8fa8-4da076edaecan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49552&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49552

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:55:37 -0800 (PST)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:55 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 8:41:28 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/13/2022 1:33 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> >> Sorry I was not clear.
> >>
> >> The system works perfectly, and exactly the same, without
> >> those little conical springs. Now is a good time to toss yours.
> >>
> >> As noted in my reply above, if you do choose to install the
> >> conical springs, they go, one left & one right, on the
> >> _OUTSIDE_ of the frame ends. Pointy side in, big side out.
> >>
> >> drawing with directions here:
> >> http://www.yellowjersey.org/SUZUEQR.JPG
> >>
> >> I emphasize that this is not worth any amount of anguish.
> >> Toss your springs.
> >>
> >> For further discussion, the all-too-confusing volute springs
> >> are there for team race support, which affects you not. In
> >> pro racing, the mechanic can (and usually does) throw a
> >> wheel up into the bike and lock it with blinding speed in
> >> one smooth motion. Those springs center the skewer, saving
> >> some fractional second from the process. All the time saved
> >> in all the pro classics over ten years doesn't equal the
> >> amount of fiddling, futzing, telephone calls, frustration
> >> and dysfunction riders waste every day on these devices. At
> >> least you didn't get them on backwards, as many do, such
> >> that they just barely squeeze between axle and frame end to
> >> screw up wheel alignment.
> > Toss your springs? I can’t imagine a situation in which installing a wheel, or a trainer in this case is easier without springs. Many people don’t know where the spring are for. I always say take them out. After that they will know. The OP should post some pictures on a hosting site. We are in the dark here.
>
> It's optional, suit yourself, skewer closes and locks fine
> with them or without them (as long as they aren't
> mangled/backwards/both on one side etc).
> --

You take them out yourselve? Your correct they have nothing to do with clamping.

Lou

Re: Setup for a skewer

<srq2ca$hkl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49554&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49554

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:34:22 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:34 UTC

On 1/13/2022 1:55 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 8:41:28 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Toss your springs? I can’t imagine a situation in which installing a wheel, or a trainer in this case is easier without springs. Many people don’t know where the spring are for. I always say take them out. After that they will know. The OP should post some pictures on a hosting site. We are in the dark here.
>>
>> It's optional, suit yourself, skewer closes and locks fine
>> with them or without them (as long as they aren't
>> mangled/backwards/both on one side etc).
>> --
>
> You take them out yourselve? Your correct they have nothing to do with clamping.
>
> Lou

When we're changing a wheel and find the springs
mangled/backwards/both on one side we throw them away. Never
had a complaint about that.

My own bikes do not have them.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Setup for a skewer

<49020f63-c455-41cf-bded-8a16ef3f64e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49572&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49572

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:32:59 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:32 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 12:34:23 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/13/2022 1:55 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> >> It's optional, suit yourself, skewer closes and locks fine
> >> with them or without them (as long as they aren't
> >> mangled/backwards/both on one side etc).
> >> --
> >
> > You take them out yourselve? Your correct they have nothing to do with clamping.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> When we're changing a wheel and find the springs
> mangled/backwards/both on one side we throw them away. Never
> had a complaint about that.
>
> My own bikes do not have them.

Those old Campy quick releases worked so well I've often wondered why they can't get the new aluminum ones to work anywhere near as well. Though they do seem to be improving.

Re: Setup for a skewer

<srqoq3$mam$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49593&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49593

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:57:12 -0600
References: <663f0fb0-07d3-40ac-85f9-abaf863e9b0en@googlegroups.com> <srhscb$sq7$1@dont-email.me> <ffb6412d-2c6a-40f7-bf19-bb92c3ff7ec6n@googlegroups.com> <srprtq$3s3$1@dont-email.me> <9912c7b4-490e-49f9-a59d-5c59e9bd17c3n@googlegroups.com> <srpv95$s6e$1@dont-email.me> <9dfa3f76-e641-4bd9-8fa8-4da076edaecan@googlegroups.com> <srq2ca$hkl$1@dont-email.me> <49020f63-c455-41cf-bded-8a16ef3f64e1n@googlegroups.com>
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 02:57 UTC

On 1/13/2022 5:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 12:34:23 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

>>> You take them out yourselve? Your correct they have nothing to do with clamping.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>> When we're changing a wheel and find the springs
>> mangled/backwards/both on one side we throw them away. Never
>> had a complaint about that.
>>
>> My own bikes do not have them.
>
> Those old Campy quick releases worked so well I've often wondered why they can't get the new aluminum ones to work anywhere near as well. Though they do seem to be improving.

The cam leverage is very different.

Also steel QRs tend to keep their lubricant better than
aluminum open cam styles. Oil your QR cams occasionally-
they close and lock amazingly better than when dry.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Setup for a skewer

<7494fea0-d6f4-4a85-8eb4-2fa889d84f52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49639&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49639

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:00:22 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 18:00 UTC

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 6:57:10 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/13/2022 5:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> >> When we're changing a wheel and find the springs
> >> mangled/backwards/both on one side we throw them away. Never
> >> had a complaint about that.
> >>
> >> My own bikes do not have them.
> >
> > Those old Campy quick releases worked so well I've often wondered why they can't get the new aluminum ones to work anywhere near as well. Though they do seem to be improving.
> >
> The cam leverage is very different.
>
> Also steel QRs tend to keep their lubricant better than
> aluminum open cam styles. Oil your QR cams occasionally-
> they close and lock amazingly better than when dry.
I'll try that since these things are a real pain in the butt. The guy that I bought the Trek Alpha from filed the lawyers lips off of the fork so tat makes if difficult to put the front wheel in while in the workstand. And the rear left dropout has a lot of play in it though the replaceable right dropout is really nice

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Setup for a skewer