Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Subject: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:05:43 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:05 UTC

This is centred on electric vehicles, but the Li-ion chemistry is
generally the same as in out devices. (ish - some recipe's have
different Ni amounts and crystal structures).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U 12:53

Engineering Explained is a very good YT channel for car related things -
he often digs down to the engineering fundamentals - as he does in this
case based on a university professor's presentation. Said prof is a
consultant for Tesla.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)

<up1nq0$33k2e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49391&group=comp.mobile.android#49391

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:55:11 +0000
 by: Peter - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:55 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> This is centred on electric vehicles, but the Li-ion chemistry is
> generally the same as in out devices. (ish - some recipe's have
> different Ni amounts and crystal structures).
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U 12:53
>
> Engineering Explained is a very good YT channel for car related things -
> he often digs down to the engineering fundamentals - as he does in this
> case based on a university professor's presentation. Said prof is a
> consultant for Tesla.

The best way to "kill li-ion batteries" is to start with too small of a
battery capacity, which will cause the number of charge/discharge cycles to
skyrocket - all else being equal.

There's really nothing more important than capacity, but once you have six
or seven amp hours of capacity, then you can start doing the little things.

Most phones nowadays only need charging once every few days before they get
to about fifty percent but don't go a week where it will drop below 10%.

When you charge, just employ any of the existing native intelligent charge
limitation settings that both iOS and Android have had for a few years now.

Re: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)

<86le89okqw.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49427&group=comp.mobile.android#49427

Followup: comp.mobile.android
From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:44:23 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:44 UTC

Peter <confused@nospam.net> writes:

> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>> This is centred on electric vehicles, but the Li-ion chemistry is
>> generally the same as in out devices. (ish - some recipe's have
>> different Ni amounts and crystal structures).
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U 12:53
>>
>> Engineering Explained is a very good YT channel for car related things -
>> he often digs down to the engineering fundamentals - as he does in this
>> case based on a university professor's presentation. Said prof is a
>> consultant for Tesla.
>
> The best way to "kill li-ion batteries" is to start with too small of a
> battery capacity, which will cause the number of charge/discharge cycles to
> skyrocket - all else being equal.
>
> There's really nothing more important than capacity, but once you have six
> or seven amp hours of capacity, then you can start doing the little things.
>
> Most phones nowadays only need charging once every few days before they get
> to about fifty percent but don't go a week where it will drop below 10%.
>
> When you charge, just employ any of the existing native intelligent charge
> limitation settings that both iOS and Android have had for a few years now.

I've discovered "low power mode" which runs the (samsung) phone with
just a few chosen apps on the home screen. It's currently saying it can
run for nearly six days on 62% charge.

Re: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)

<7PttN.69622$GX69.23895@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49434&group=comp.mobile.android#49434

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:48:35 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:48 UTC

On 2024-01-28 04:44, Richmond wrote:

>> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>> This is centred on electric vehicles, but the Li-ion chemistry is
>>> generally the same as in out devices. (ish - some recipe's have
>>> different Ni amounts and crystal structures).
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U 12:53
>>>
>>> Engineering Explained is a very good YT channel for car related things -
>>> he often digs down to the engineering fundamentals - as he does in this
>>> case based on a university professor's presentation. Said prof is a
>>> consultant for Tesla.

> I've discovered "low power mode" which runs the (samsung) phone with
> just a few chosen apps on the home screen. It's currently saying it can
> run for nearly six days on 62% charge.

The point of the video is not so much stretching a given charge for
hours of use as adopting charging (or storage) strategies that prolong
the overall life of the battery.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)

<861qa1sce4.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49438&group=comp.mobile.android#49438

From: dnomh...@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:31:15 +0000
 by: Richmond - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 15:31 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> writes:

>> I've discovered "low power mode" which runs the (samsung) phone with
>> just a few chosen apps on the home screen. It's currently saying it
>> can run for nearly six days on 62% charge.
>
> The point of the video is not so much stretching a given charge for
> hours of use as adopting charging (or storage) strategies that prolong
> the overall life of the battery.

Nevertheless you can prolong the life of a battery by using it less.

Re: How to kill Li-ion batteries (and how not to)

<up6op4$4qbi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49469&group=comp.mobile.android#49469

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 23:42:28 +0000
 by: Peter - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 23:42 UTC

Richmond <dnomhcir@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> I've discovered "low power mode" which runs the (samsung) phone with
>>> just a few chosen apps on the home screen. It's currently saying it
>>> can run for nearly six days on 62% charge.
>>
>> The point of the video is not so much stretching a given charge for
>> hours of use as adopting charging (or storage) strategies that prolong
>> the overall life of the battery.
>
> Nevertheless you can prolong the life of a battery by using it less.

Prolonging the life of a battery that started as too small a capacity is
like prolonging the life of a pair of shoes that started 2 sizes too small.

Nowadays most smartphone batteries are six and seven amp hours, so you
don't even have to *think* about prolonging their overall life as the
number of charge cycles for a 7 amp hour battery is less than half the
number of charge cycles for a 3 amp hour battery (all else being equal).

You put it on the fast charger that was in the box only when it needs it.