From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Woven USB cables.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:47:02 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:47 UTC

Because I didn't bring enough USB cables on my vacation (or I thought I
didn't) I bought one with a woven cover. I thought it would make me with
it, hip.

But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.

Can I assume that any cable with a woven cover, or one for which its
picture indicates a weave to the cover, will be stiff like this and
retain curves???

Maybe it's a neurosis but the old bends annoy me. Plus you can roll up
the viny cables and put them in your pocket.

Re: Woven USB cables.

<rl1g8kxugj.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49401&group=comp.mobile.android#49401

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Woven USB cables.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 20:20:59 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:20 UTC

On 2024-01-27 18:47, micky wrote:
> Because I didn't bring enough USB cables on my vacation (or I thought I
> didn't) I bought one with a woven cover. I thought it would make me with
> it, hip.
>
> But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
> vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.
>
> Can I assume that any cable with a woven cover, or one for which its
> picture indicates a weave to the cover, will be stiff like this and
> retain curves???
>
> Maybe it's a neurosis but the old bends annoy me. Plus you can roll up
> the viny cables and put them in your pocket.

I have "many" usb cables with what seems a woven cloth cover, several
brands, they work fine. Some are more stiff than others, none seem to
remember the bends. Or perhaps a little, now that I look. One seems to
remember how I fold it tight, where are the sharp bends.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Woven USB cables.

<up3ra9.f08.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49403&group=comp.mobile.android#49403

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 27 Jan 2024 20:07:30 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 20:07 UTC

Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 2024-01-27 18:47, micky wrote:
> > Because I didn't bring enough USB cables on my vacation (or I thought I
> > didn't) I bought one with a woven cover. I thought it would make me with
> > it, hip.
> >
> > But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
> > vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.
> >
> > Can I assume that any cable with a woven cover, or one for which its
> > picture indicates a weave to the cover, will be stiff like this and
> > retain curves???
> >
> > Maybe it's a neurosis but the old bends annoy me. Plus you can roll up
> > the viny cables and put them in your pocket.
>
> I have "many" usb cables with what seems a woven cloth cover, several
> brands, they work fine. Some are more stiff than others, none seem to
> remember the bends. Or perhaps a little, now that I look. One seems to
> remember how I fold it tight, where are the sharp bends.

Indeed! Just just have to buy dumb cables, not smart ones. The dumb
ones are not smart enough to remember.

Well, this *is* a micky-thread, isn't it!? :-)

Re: Woven USB cables.

<ft4bri156v3sqirgl1bcpa0m13om0grq0u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49416&group=comp.mobile.android#49416

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:37:58 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:37 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 27 Jan 2024 20:07:30 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2024-01-27 18:47, micky wrote:
>> > Because I didn't bring enough USB cables on my vacation (or I thought I
>> > didn't) I bought one with a woven cover. I thought it would make me with
>> > it, hip.
>> >
>> > But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
>> > vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.
>> >
>> > Can I assume that any cable with a woven cover, or one for which its
>> > picture indicates a weave to the cover, will be stiff like this and
>> > retain curves???
>> >
>> > Maybe it's a neurosis but the old bends annoy me. Plus you can roll up
>> > the viny cables and put them in your pocket.
>>
>> I have "many" usb cables with what seems a woven cloth cover, several
>> brands, they work fine. Some are more stiff than others, none seem to
>> remember the bends. Or perhaps a little, now that I look. One seems to
>> remember how I fold it tight, where are the sharp bends.

Maybe I bought one with arthritis.

> Indeed! Just just have to buy dumb cables, not smart ones. The dumb
>ones are not smart enough to remember.
>
> Well, this *is* a micky-thread, isn't it!? :-)

I ask questions others are afraid to ask.

Re: Woven USB cables.

<l277l8Fen3iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49648&group=comp.mobile.android#49648

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 17:24:09 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:24 UTC

micky, 2024-01-27 18:47:

> Because I didn't bring enough USB cables on my vacation (or I thought I
> didn't) I bought one with a woven cover. I thought it would make me with
> it, hip.
>
> But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
> vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.

The woven cover, also known as "braided", is just a cover. Inside there
is still a normal cable, just with a slightly thinner insulation.

And there is no "vinyl" cover - the material for cable insulation is
usually something like PVC.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Woven USB cables.

<l27845Fcos9U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49649&group=comp.mobile.android#49649

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:32:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

Arno Welzel wrote:

> micky wrote:
>
>> But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
>> vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.
>
> The woven cover, also known as "braided", is just a cover. Inside there
> is still a normal cable, just with a slightly thinner insulation.

Not so long ago, braided USB cables were generally high(er) quality, now
i think the cheaper manufacturers have decided to make lowe(er) quality
braided cables.

Here, clothes irons tend to come with cotton braided mains cables, they
usually end-up with a knot/kink in them which is impossible to unwind,
I'm probably not in the market for another iron, but if the sold one
with a silicone cable, it'd move up the list.

> And there is no "vinyl" cover - the material for cable insulation is
> usually something like PVC.

What does the V in PVC stand for?

Re: Woven USB cables.

<l2boj4F92atU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49690&group=comp.mobile.android#49690

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:37:41 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 09:37 UTC

Andy Burns, 2024-02-03 17:32:

> Arno Welzel wrote:
>
>> micky wrote:
>>
>>> But the cable retains any bends I put in it. Not like the ones with
>>> vinyl covers that retain sharp bends but not mild ones.
>>
>> The woven cover, also known as "braided", is just a cover. Inside there
>> is still a normal cable, just with a slightly thinner insulation.
>
> Not so long ago, braided USB cables were generally high(er) quality, now
> i think the cheaper manufacturers have decided to make lowe(er) quality
> braided cables.
>
> Here, clothes irons tend to come with cotton braided mains cables, they
> usually end-up with a knot/kink in them which is impossible to unwind,
> I'm probably not in the market for another iron, but if the sold one
> with a silicone cable, it'd move up the list.
>
>> And there is no "vinyl" cover - the material for cable insulation is
>> usually something like PVC.
>
> What does the V in PVC stand for?

Ok, to be precise: polyvinyl chloride - that's not just "vinyl".

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de