Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 15:24:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Riding with a bad back.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 23:24 UTC

Well, the back is slowly coming back. I have 136 miles in this year in the freezing cold. Some of the rides had the puddles on the side of the road with ice floating about in them. It was all the way up in the 40's for my ride today.

My back was feeling pretty good then when I was trying to get across an intersection my foot slipped off of the pedal and gave me a pretty fierce jolt through my back. I suppose that put me back some.
Stopped by Super Burger to pick up a burger for lunch and the lady behind the counter recognized me from the Fish and Chips place that used to be a half block away. She has Fish and Chips on the menu so I'll have to try that again.

Re: Riding with a bad back.

<895ef33f-88d5-46a8-849e-765295f739ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=49481&group=rec.bicycles.tech#49481

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 16:07:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Riding with a bad back.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 00:07 UTC

On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 3:24:24 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Well, the back is slowly coming back. I have 136 miles in this year in the freezing cold. Some of the rides had the puddles on the side of the road with ice floating about in them. It was all the way up in the 40's for my ride today.
>
> My back was feeling pretty good then when I was trying to get across an intersection my foot slipped off of the pedal and gave me a pretty fierce jolt through my back. I suppose that put me back some.
>
> Stopped by Super Burger to pick up a burger for lunch and the lady behind the counter recognized me from the Fish and Chips place that used to be a half block away. She has Fish and Chips on the menu so I'll have to try that again.

Yesterday I did a rapid 15 miles since I was afraid that FedEx would try to deliver my new frameset while I was gone and my wife had gone off to her appointments. But that is apparently a good distance for a weekly ride because I slept like a baby last night and woke up with a sore back but obviously healing rapidly now.

Went down and spent this morning working on the Douglas Vector. I now have the deep carbon rims on it and the Record shifters exchanged for the Centaur. To finish it, it requires bar tape added, sealant and needs to be taken for a 20 mile ride to guarantee sealing of the tires on the rims.

I received the Trek Alpha 1.5 and it is actually lighter frame and aluminum fork than the Douglas which has a carbon fork and rear triangle. When the Douglas is finished, it will go up for sale. This setup is a hell of a lot more likely to sell quickly since everyone wants deep carbon rims with tubeless tires and Record levers.

The Trek will be built up with the Centaur 11 speed group and black and white matching Pro-Lite deep aluminum wheels. If I like, I can knock a full lb off of the bike simply exchanging with the Speed Dream wheels. By my calculations, a bike ready to put the water bottle and seat pack on weights about 17 1/2 lbs. The Colnago CLX1.0 and my 2018 Trek Emonda with both with Di2 weighed in at that (rim brakes) The older Trek Madone with manual Dura Ace weighed the same. Before my present modifications the Douglas was 16 1/2 lobs and the changes have put a lb on the bike. So if the Trek weighs in at that weight it will be a hell of a lot lighter than my titanium bikes.

The Douglas Ti hasn't had the tubeless tires pumped up since the first time which was at least 6 weeks ago. But the wheels are Campagnolo Sirocco so they have perfectly machines sidewalls unlike the deep carbon rims that have to be pumped up about once every week or two depending on the particular wheel. For instance - the front deep carbon I just installed on the Douglas Vector, was a real bear to get sealed but I didn't put any sealant at all in the rear wheel and it pumped right up. I used 3 CO2 cartridges in the front wheel learning that the CO2 mechanism didn't work right. Using a known good CO2 tool it filled the first time. It will leak down to flat but I want to let it before I add the sealant. Using the good CO2 tool, I still took 9 cartridges to work all of the bugs out of the inflation - the tire somehow not over the filler, the filler not completely sealed and the carbon rim have a lot of leaks in it that forced me to add sealant so that it would finally hold air.

I finally got tired of the doorbell needing maintenance all the time (from slight wear) and bought a new one (wired doorbell that doesn't need batteries like the countless wireless doorbells) the new one was a pain in the butt to try and wire since the terminals were much smaller than on the original. But then I remembered that I had wire connectors and quickly installed those and it worked perfect. 3 hours after that the Trek was delivered and the doorbell operated flawlessly.

Well, working on bikes makes for a nice comfortable day.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Riding with a bad back.