Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT: blood iron disorder
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 20:12 UTC

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 7:24:05 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 12:24:13 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> > PN, there are lots of flavonoids/nols, lots of polyphenolic compounds which affect the human body.
> >
> > I'm interested here specifically in Ascorbic acid and naringin/naringenin due to the relationship to hematocrit of blood plasma.
> http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/flavanol-rich-diet-blood-pressure-08974.html
---

I wasn't able to find naringan on sale locally, but I can buy turmeric cheaply to sprinkle on meat & fish to reduce heme iron absorption. My hematocrit numbers are still high, even after drinking plenty of water.

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/hemochromatosis-diet/

We report the first case of a possible human iron deficiency due to the absorption of iron in the gut due to turmeric. While causality cannot be readily determined, the patient’s hemoglobin, iron, and ferritin were all reduced after he started turmeric and returned to normal after he stopped it. No other cause of iron deficiency or blood loss was found on extensive evaluation.

Turmeric is among the spices known to inhibit iron absorption by 20%-90% in humans, reducing iron absorption in a dose-dependent manner [10].

The
iron deficiency associated with turmeric has been reported in the lay literature, with several patients describing anemia that responded to stopping turmeric (https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/does-turmeric-curcumin-reduce-iron-absorption-from-food/turmeric-curcumin-iron/; ConsumerLab.com; Accessed: January 8, 2019). At least one hemochromatosis website recommends turmeric for its benefit in arthritis and potential benefit in reducing excess body iron. (https://hemochromatosishelp.com/turmeric-benefit-for-hemochromatosis/; Accessed: January 8, 2019). While labs were not drawn to assess the effect of turmeric on anemia, the rapid recovery of hemoglobin from 12 to 13..9 g/dL in two weeks off turmeric, with no other changes in the medical regimen, suggest an association.

Conclusions
Turmeric supplementation is increasingly common. Humans presenting with iron deficiency anemia should be queried about supplement use. The ability of turmeric to absorb intestinal iron may lead to it being useful in states of iron overload, such as hemochromatosis, or hemolytic anemias, such as sickle cell disease.
-

Time to add some turmeric to my food. I like curry, that is rich in yellow turmeric

Re: OT: blood iron disorder

<059af33a-5971-4739-94ee-c7159ab98a98n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4318&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4318

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 04:01:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:01 UTC

On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 4:12:08 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 7:24:05 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> > On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 12:24:13 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> > > PN, there are lots of flavonoids/nols, lots of polyphenolic compounds which affect the human body.
> > >
> > > I'm interested here specifically in Ascorbic acid and naringin/naringenin due to the relationship to hematocrit of blood plasma.
> > http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/flavanol-rich-diet-blood-pressure-08974.html
> ---
>
> I wasn't able to find naringan on sale locally, but I can buy turmeric cheaply to sprinkle on meat & fish to reduce heme iron absorption. My hematocrit numbers are still high, even after drinking plenty of water.
>

> https://www.singlecare.com/blog/hemochromatosis-diet/
>
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6414192/
>
> We report the first case of a possible human iron deficiency due to the absorption of iron in the gut due to turmeric. While causality cannot be readily determined, the patient’s hemoglobin, iron, and ferritin were all reduced after he started turmeric and returned to normal after he stopped it. No other cause of iron deficiency or blood loss was found on extensive evaluation.
>
> Turmeric is among the spices known to inhibit iron absorption by 20%-90% in humans, reducing iron absorption in a dose-dependent manner [10].
>
> The
> iron deficiency associated with turmeric has been reported in the lay literature, with several patients describing anemia that responded to stopping turmeric (https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/does-turmeric-curcumin-reduce-iron-absorption-from-food/turmeric-curcumin-iron/; ConsumerLab.com; Accessed: January 8, 2019). At least one hemochromatosis website recommends turmeric for its benefit in arthritis and potential benefit in reducing excess body iron. (https://hemochromatosishelp.com/turmeric-benefit-for-hemochromatosis/; Accessed: January 8, 2019). While labs were not drawn to assess the effect of turmeric on anemia, the rapid recovery of hemoglobin from 12 to 13.9 g/dL in two weeks off turmeric, with no other changes in the medical regimen, suggest an association.
>
> Conclusions
> Turmeric supplementation is increasingly common. Humans presenting with iron deficiency anemia should be queried about supplement use. The ability of turmeric to absorb intestinal iron may lead to it being useful in states of iron overload, such as hemochromatosis, or hemolytic anemias, such as sickle cell disease.
> -
>
> Time to add some turmeric to my food. I like curry, that is rich in yellow turmeric
---
Some studies on heme:

Medicago & soil bacteria, hemopexin
https://news.mit.edu/2022/heme-plant-molecule-iron-0811

Hemozoin
https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/newsroom/news/2019/10/mammals-hemozoin.php

Iron absorption & tannins
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/iron-absorption

Bacteria binding iron
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0903842106#sec-1

Re: OT: blood iron disorder

<a3ab3b14-56b0-4263-af27-916fda61c3ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4837&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4837

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 21:23:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 04:23 UTC

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 7:01:20 AM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 4:12:08 PM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:

> > > http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/flavanol-rich-diet-blood-pressure-08974.html
> > ---
> >
> > I wasn't able to find naringan on sale locally, but I can buy turmeric cheaply to sprinkle on meat & fish to reduce heme iron absorption. My hematocrit numbers are still high, even after drinking plenty of water.
> >

> > https://www.singlecare.com/blog/hemochromatosis-diet/
> >
> > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6414192/
> >
> > We report the first case of a possible human iron deficiency due to the absorption of iron in the gut due to turmeric. While causality cannot be readily determined, the patient’s hemoglobin, iron, and ferritin were all reduced after he started turmeric and returned to normal after he stopped it. No other cause of iron deficiency or blood loss was found on extensive evaluation.
> >
> > Turmeric is among the spices known to inhibit iron absorption by 20%-90% in humans, reducing iron absorption in a dose-dependent manner [10].
> >
> > The
> > iron deficiency associated with turmeric has been reported in the lay literature, with several patients describing anemia that responded to stopping turmeric (https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/does-turmeric-curcumin-reduce-iron-absorption-from-food/turmeric-curcumin-iron/; ConsumerLab.com; Accessed: January 8, 2019). At least one hemochromatosis website recommends turmeric for its benefit in arthritis and potential benefit in reducing excess body iron. (https://hemochromatosishelp.com/turmeric-benefit-for-hemochromatosis/; Accessed: January 8, 2019). While labs were not drawn to assess the effect of turmeric on anemia, the rapid recovery of hemoglobin from 12 to 13.9 g/dL in two weeks off turmeric, with no other changes in the medical regimen, suggest an association.
> >
> > Conclusions
> > Turmeric supplementation is increasingly common. Humans presenting with iron deficiency anemia should be queried about supplement use. The ability of turmeric to absorb intestinal iron may lead to it being useful in states of iron overload, such as hemochromatosis, or hemolytic anemias, such as sickle cell disease.
> > -
> >
> > Time to add some turmeric to my food. I like curry, that is rich in yellow turmeric
> ---
> Some studies on heme:
>
> Medicago & soil bacteria, hemopexin
> https://news.mit.edu/2022/heme-plant-molecule-iron-0811
>
> Hemozoin
> https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/newsroom/news/2019/10/mammals-hemozoin.php
>
> Iron absorption & tannins
> https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/iron-absorption
>
> Bacteria binding iron
> https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0903842106#sec-1

Gene editing
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-10-gene-therapy-iron-storage-disease.html

Re: OT: blood iron disorder

<8fc38f28-a415-417b-9b61-cdd533d9f184n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4945&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4945

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
<q219dq$s6d$1@news.albasani.net> <1f83b6b0-f932-4730-856b-99cd5119aa24@googlegroups.com>
<q228p7$tsk$1@news.albasani.net> <4e6d89c7-0cc2-405d-8ddb-24b4e9f7fdf7@googlegroups.com>
<d6e3e8a3-7481-41e0-bd2d-779888db934a@googlegroups.com> <7d4b99fd-cad4-4d40-8515-9ad96368bee1@googlegroups.com>
<72ff56c7-4fa0-4371-9537-d3503e35cbb3o@googlegroups.com> <ed0c6b47-eab8-4081-8cb4-42e68fa2f15ao@googlegroups.com>
<16f88ef4-1d9a-4ee9-8a79-5f801452bd19o@googlegroups.com> <ab3b7919-717c-464c-9ac2-aafe89db8dedo@googlegroups.com>
<ad5fec9f-e6ec-4c95-ab14-3deebbe4683co@googlegroups.com> <3eeff463-6bad-4780-a7d4-ba54a4a660a7o@googlegroups.com>
<1150d46a-9b62-449c-868f-00460b3cbe31o@googlegroups.com> <cbf4f589-ed05-4cac-af6b-2a6dc2405a3do@googlegroups.com>
<cf4c4248-6997-4d48-899a-c313a4233275n@googlegroups.com> <059af33a-5971-4739-94ee-c7159ab98a98n@googlegroups.com>
<a3ab3b14-56b0-4263-af27-916fda61c3ffn@googlegroups.com>
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 22:01 UTC

On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 12:23:08 AM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 7:01:20 AM UTC-4, Daud Deden wrote:

> > > ---
> > >
> > > I wasn't able to find naringan on sale locally, but I can buy turmeric cheaply to sprinkle on meat & fish to reduce heme iron absorption. My hematocrit numbers are still high, even after drinking plenty of water.
> > >

> > > https://www.singlecare.com/blog/hemochromatosis-diet/
> > >
> > > https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6414192/
> > >
> > > We report the first case of a possible human iron deficiency due to the absorption of iron in the gut due to turmeric. While causality cannot be readily determined, the patient’s hemoglobin, iron, and ferritin were all reduced after he started turmeric and returned to normal after he stopped it. No other cause of iron deficiency or blood loss was found on extensive evaluation.
> > >
> > > Turmeric is among the spices known to inhibit iron absorption by 20%-90% in humans, reducing iron absorption in a dose-dependent manner [10].
> > >
> > > The
> > > iron deficiency associated with turmeric has been reported in the lay literature, with several patients describing anemia that responded to stopping turmeric (https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/does-turmeric-curcumin-reduce-iron-absorption-from-food/turmeric-curcumin-iron/; ConsumerLab.com; Accessed: January 8, 2019). At least one hemochromatosis website recommends turmeric for its benefit in arthritis and potential benefit in reducing excess body iron. (https://hemochromatosishelp.com/turmeric-benefit-for-hemochromatosis/; Accessed: January 8, 2019). While labs were not drawn to assess the effect of turmeric on anemia, the rapid recovery of hemoglobin from 12 to 13.9 g/dL in two weeks off turmeric, with no other changes in the medical regimen, suggest an association.
> > >
> > > Conclusions
> > > Turmeric supplementation is increasingly common. Humans presenting with iron deficiency anemia should be queried about supplement use. The ability of turmeric to absorb intestinal iron may lead to it being useful in states of iron overload, such as hemochromatosis, or hemolytic anemias, such as sickle cell disease.
> > > -
> > >
> > > Time to add some turmeric to my food. I like curry, that is rich in yellow turmeric
> > ---
> > Some studies on heme:
> >
> > Medicago & soil bacteria, hemopexin
> > https://news.mit.edu/2022/heme-plant-molecule-iron-0811
> >
> > Hemozoin
> > https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/newsroom/news/2019/10/mammals-hemozoin.php
> >
> > Iron absorption & tannins
> > https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/iron-absorption
> >
> > Bacteria binding iron
> > https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0903842106#sec-1
> Gene editing
> https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-10-gene-therapy-iron-storage-disease.html
---
Dr. Sten Ekberg's 15 eggs-per-day diet study
https://youtu.be/aAC9xCinLnk