From: ton...@mountifield.org (Tony Mountifield)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Google Pay - phone moved too fast
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:44:30 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: tony@softins.co.uk ()
 by: Tony Mountifield - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:44 UTC

I have been using Google Pay on my phone to make contactless payments
for some time. On most payment terminals it works fine.

However, I have noticed that some of the small payment devices from
iZettle and Stripe don't work with my phone. The phone always complains
"phone moved too fast". Retrying doesn't help, and I have to resort to
getting my debit card out instead, which invariably works fine for the
contactless payment.

Anyone else noticed this apparent incompatibility with that kind of
payment terminal? Is there any known way of getting it to work?

Phone is a Xiaomi Mi9SE

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Winchester, UK

Re: Google Pay - phone moved too fast

<mb5qri18sgq1mepasr34tlou4qv3k6q0l5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49614&group=comp.mobile.android#49614

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Google Pay - phone moved too fast
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 16:18:38 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:18 UTC

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:44:30 +0000 (UTC), tony@mountifield.org (Tony
Mountifield) wrote:

>I have been using Google Pay on my phone to make contactless payments
>for some time. On most payment terminals it works fine.
>
>However, I have noticed that some of the small payment devices from
>iZettle and Stripe don't work with my phone. The phone always complains
>"phone moved too fast". Retrying doesn't help, and I have to resort to
>getting my debit card out instead, which invariably works fine for the
>contactless payment.
>
>Anyone else noticed this apparent incompatibility with that kind of
>payment terminal? Is there any known way of getting it to work?

I've seen that message on my old phone in Tesco but I don't remember
what the outcome was. Now, I'd say try closing the app and re-opening
it.

Re: Google Pay - phone moved too fast

<upjtbq$3l9$1@softins.softins.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49622&group=comp.mobile.android#49622

From: ton...@mountifield.org (Tony Mountifield)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 23:20:26 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Tony Mountifield - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 23:20 UTC

In article <mb5qri18sgq1mepasr34tlou4qv3k6q0l5@4ax.com>,
Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:44:30 +0000 (UTC), tony@mountifield.org (Tony
> Mountifield) wrote:
>
> >I have been using Google Pay on my phone to make contactless payments
> >for some time. On most payment terminals it works fine.
> >
> >However, I have noticed that some of the small payment devices from
> >iZettle and Stripe don't work with my phone. The phone always complains
> >"phone moved too fast". Retrying doesn't help, and I have to resort to
> >getting my debit card out instead, which invariably works fine for the
> >contactless payment.
> >
> >Anyone else noticed this apparent incompatibility with that kind of
> >payment terminal? Is there any known way of getting it to work?
> >

> I've seen that message on my old phone in Tesco but I don't remember
> what the outcome was. Now, I'd say try closing the app and re-opening
> it.

I don't think that's it. The Google Wallet app keeps running in the background
and is activated by the NFC in the phone when unlocked. It's only on some
specific terminals that it behaves as described, and I can go on to pay
successfully on a different type of terminal without having to restart the app.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Winchester, UK

Re: Google Pay - phone moved too fast

<l26kh0Fbak2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49636&group=comp.mobile.android#49636

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:57:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 10:57 UTC

Tony Mountifield wrote:

> Peter Johnson wrote:
>
>> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>
>>> I have noticed that some of the small payment devices from
>>> iZettle and Stripe don't work with my phone. The phone always complains
>>> "phone moved too fast".
>>
>> I've seen that message on my old phone in Tesco but I don't remember
>> what the outcome was. Now, I'd say try closing the app and re-opening
>> it.
>
> I don't think that's it. The Google Wallet app keeps running in the background
> and is activated by the NFC in the phone when unlocked. It's only on some
> specific terminals that it behaves as described, and I can go on to pay
> successfully on a different type of terminal without having to restart the app.

Do you know where the NFC coils are centred on the phone? (find out by
waving a credit card or passport over it) try to align that with the
RFID symbol on the terminal.