Yes I have a Machintosh, please don't scream at me. -- Larry Blumette on linux-kernel

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

SubjectAuthor
* Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleWolf Greenblatt
+* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleAndy Burns
|+* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GooglePeter
||+- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleFrankie
||`- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleJoerg Walther
|`- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleVanguardLH
+* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleRoger Mills
|`* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleWolf Greenblatt
| `* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleVanguardLH
|  +* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleWolf Greenblatt
|  |+- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleVanguardLH
|  |`- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleNewyana2
+* Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleJörg Lorenz
|`- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleJörg Lorenz
+- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleJoerg Lorenz
`- Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of GoogleArno Welzel

1
Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upl0tj$e9m1$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49634&group=comp.mobile.android#49634

From: wol...@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 04:27:15 -0500
logging-data="468673"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:27 UTC

Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.

End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?

Something like "Sync - Secure cloud storage" only more than 5GB for free?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sync.mobileapp

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<l26gd7Fagt9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49635&group=comp.mobile.android#49635

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of
Google
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:47:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:47 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt wrote:

> Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
> Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.
>
> End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?

Depends whether you consider mega.nz to be "big" or tainted by its
fore-runner megaupload.com?

They offer 20GB free ...

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upl94p$340e2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49638&group=comp.mobile.android#49638

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:47:37 +0000
 by: Peter - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:47 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
>> Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.
>>
>> End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?
>
> Depends whether you consider mega.nz to be "big" or tainted by its
> fore-runner megaupload.com?
>
> They offer 20GB free ...

I was about to suggest Mega as the biggest but you beat me to it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mega.privacy.android.app

The only thing bigger might be TeraBox which claims a terabyte
of free cloud storage but that's so big I don't really believe it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dubox.drive

There's also pCloud at 10GB I think but there may be a catch.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pcloud.pcloud

And then there's those like icedrive that won't even tell you how much.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icedrive.app

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upl9tt$1g7m$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49639&group=comp.mobile.android#49639

From: fran...@nospam.usa (Frankie)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 06:01:01 -0600
 by: Frankie - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 12:01 UTC

On 3/2/2024, Peter wrote:

> And then there's those like icedrive that won't even tell you how much.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icedrive.app

Like that one which won't tell you how much, there are hidden gotchas such
as the need for a credit card or a use it or lose it policy, or even this
one with "unlimited storage" as long as you share it with the whole world.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrowlandroid
Checking, it's no longer in Google Play, so maybe they got kicked out?

These all advertise 10 GB free but I don't know what catches are involved.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.internxt.cloud
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.secureip.lockbackup
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaryllo.acs_service.prod
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaryllo.hpcloud.prod
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stillsweb.cloud

Given they're trying to make money off of you on their "free storage",
what do you think are the typical catches that they will try to get you on?

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<41csrih4ut8rcp4aea6kf9bd7ofj3nkrpg@joergwalther.my-fqdn.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49640&group=comp.mobile.android#49640

From: joerg.wa...@magenta.de (Joerg Walther)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 13:24:47 +0100
 by: Joerg Walther - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 12:24 UTC

Peter wrote:

>The only thing bigger might be TeraBox which claims a terabyte
>of free cloud storage but that's so big I don't really believe it.

Intereseting offer. It seems to be true but they apparently limit the
video quality to something lower than HD, although on a first glance I
could not find out to which actual resolution the video will be limited
to.

-jw-

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<l275t3Fee02U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49645&group=comp.mobile.android#49645

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Google
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:54:11 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:54 UTC

On 03/02/2024 09:27, Wolf Greenblatt wrote:
> Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
> Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.
>
> End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?
>
> Something like "Sync - Secure cloud storage" only more than 5GB for free?
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sync.mobileapp

I've used Box for many years, and have found it to be very good. You get
10GB for free per account - but you can have multiple accounts if you
use a different email address for each one.

With the free version, there is a limit to how big an individual file
can be - 250MB - which could possibly be a limitation if you want to
store large video files, but for most stuff it's fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upm0kd$37khl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49652&group=comp.mobile.android#49652

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Google
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:28:29 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

Am 03.02.24 um 10:27 schrieb Wolf Greenblatt:
> Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
> Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.
>
> End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?
>
> Something like "Sync - Secure cloud storage" only more than 5GB for free?
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sync.mobileapp

And everything free? Dream on!

In the Anglo-Saxon domain I know only Apple that offers real
E2E-encryption. All others talk a lot about encryption. What they mean
is US-style: Easy access for the three letter organisations.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upm13p$38574$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49653&group=comp.mobile.android#49653

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Google
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:36:41 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:36 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<ersvug48kux1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49654&group=comp.mobile.android#49654

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 13:20:18 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:20 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Wolf Greenblatt wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
>> Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.
>>
>> End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?
>
> Depends whether you consider mega.nz to be "big" or tainted by its
> fore-runner megaupload.com?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_(service)
The Web site and service was launched on 19 January 2013, by Kim Dotcom,
together with chief technical officer, director, and co-founder Mathias
Ortmann, chief marketing officer Finn Batato and Bram van der Kolk as a
successor to Megaupload, which was then seized by the United States
Department of Justice a year prior.

They got nailed for dispersing pirated content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload

They thought they could operate a piracy server. They lost. When
reborn from the ashes, they changed their attitude.

https://mega.io/terms#Whatyoumustnotdo

> They offer 20GB free ...

"Your data is secure
MEGA protects your data from online attacks with zero-knowledge
encryption. Simply put – your data is encrypted and only you hold the
keys."

Yet their free service tier notes that password-protection on links is
not available. Have to pay for that. So, maybe the files are secure to
you using their service to get at your files, but how are those files
shared to others?

"Your data is private
No MEGA data ever leaves an individual’s device unless it has been
encrypted in such a way that it can only be processed by the user, or
intended recipients."

How do you specify intended recipients? Seems the password scheme is
needed, but that's not in the free 20 GB account.

https://help.mega.io/security/data-protection/zero-knowledge-encryption
Under zero-knowledge encryption, the sender encrypts a message, file, or
audio and video stream on their device, and the recipients decrypt it on
theirs, with the encryption key known only to the endpoints.

Does that mean you must use their app to do the client-side encryption,
and the recipient must also use their app? If so, how does the
recipient get the key generated by the sender?

https://help.mega.io/security/data-protection/zero-knowledge-encryption
MEGA’s zero-knowledge encryption relies on your password to unlock all
of your account’s encrypted data.

So, they do have the key which is your account login password. Their
account management would have your login credentials. Even if they
professed that unavailable to anyone at the company, the account
password would need to be available at their server for login
authentication. However, I certainly would not want to dole out my
login password as the key used by a recipient to get a file.

To protect and authenticate cryptographic keys exchanged between users,
we use asymmetric cryptography.

That paragraph discusses how keys are exchanged between sender and
recipient, but the setup requires both to be Mega users with accounts.
The password-encrypted scheme lets you share your files securing with
non-Mega recipients, but that feature is not included in the free tier.

https://help.mega.io/plans-storage/space-storage/transfer-quota

If the intent is to share the file(s), your recipients may encounter
waits. I remember going there, and having to wait or give up trying to
get a file, because too many other visitors wanted the same file. You
have to buy a Pro plan ($108/yr minimum ... ouch!) to get the
password-protected links feature.

If you use Mega to save files just for your own use, looks like a good
deal (but you'll need to use the cloud sync app to encrypt). If you
want to share files, your choice is to pony up for a Pro plan, or
require your recipients also have Mega accounts. Requiring Mega
accounts among a community isn't bad if it's a small community, and
those are the only recipient-types you ever want to share.

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upm74b$gr25$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49655&group=comp.mobile.android#49655

From: wol...@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:19:22 -0500
logging-data="552005"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 20:19 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:54:11 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

>> Something like "Sync - Secure cloud storage" only more than 5GB for free?
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sync.mobileapp
>
> I've used Box for many years, and have found it to be very good. You get
> 10GB for free per account - but you can have multiple accounts if you
> use a different email address for each one.
>
> With the free version, there is a limit to how big an individual file
> can be - 250MB - which could possibly be a limitation if you want to
> store large video files, but for most stuff it's fine.

Thanks for suggesting Box and for noting what the limitations are.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.box.android
Box for Android features:
10GB of free cloud storage to back up all your docs
Upload PDFs, Microsoft Office files, photos, videos and other files to Box
View and print 200+ file types, including PDF, Word, Excel, AI, and PSD
File-level security controls
Offline access to files and folders
Share huge files with just a link - no need for attachments
Add comments to documents to send feedback
Real-time search
Search within PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, Word files
Updates feed to find recently viewed or edited files
Open files in hundreds of partner apps that let you annotate
Box for Android mobile app is "Box Shield" enabled

It would be nice if we can come up with the "best" free cloud storage which
has the least limitations & the most privacy for around 10 to 15GB storage.

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<1it0iysokccct.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49658&group=comp.mobile.android#49658

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:38:31 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:38 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:54:11 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:
>
>>> Something like "Sync - Secure cloud storage" only more than 5GB for free?
>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sync.mobileapp
>>
>> I've used Box for many years, and have found it to be very good. You get
>> 10GB for free per account - but you can have multiple accounts if you
>> use a different email address for each one.
>>
>> With the free version, there is a limit to how big an individual file
>> can be - 250MB - which could possibly be a limitation if you want to
>> store large video files, but for most stuff it's fine.
>
> Thanks for suggesting Box and for noting what the limitations are.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.box.android
> Box for Android features:
> 10GB of free cloud storage to back up all your docs
> Upload PDFs, Microsoft Office files, photos, videos and other files to Box
> View and print 200+ file types, including PDF, Word, Excel, AI, and PSD
> File-level security controls
> Offline access to files and folders
> Share huge files with just a link - no need for attachments
> Add comments to documents to send feedback
> Real-time search
> Search within PDF, PowerPoint, Excel, Word files
> Updates feed to find recently viewed or edited files
> Open files in hundreds of partner apps that let you annotate
> Box for Android mobile app is "Box Shield" enabled
>
> It would be nice if we can come up with the "best" free cloud storage which
> has the least limitations & the most privacy for around 10 to 15GB storage.

Lots of online articles found by searching "best free cloud storage",
like:

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-free-cloud-storage-service
https://www.cloudwards.net/the-top-5-cloud-companies-with-large-free-service-plans/

However, "best" doesn't mean all your criteria will get satisfied. Get
too greedy on criteria using someone else's dollar, and you'll criteria
yourself out of many choices. Can't be "big", must provide 20GB
minimum, and so on, and eventually you're looking for your parents to
pay the bills. These are resources cost money, so many "free" services
are lures into paid plans once you get a taste and want more. Anyone
operating a totally free cloud storage service like you want would have
to be very wealthy to afford all the costs, or rely on donations which
means eventually the experiment fails since freeloaders don't pay even
for donations, and if you're willing to pay for donations then look at
paid services.

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upmrn8$i9cu$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49662&group=comp.mobile.android#49662

From: wol...@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:10:47 -0500
logging-data="599454"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:10 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:38:31 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

>> It would be nice if we can come up with the "best" free cloud storage which
>> has the least limitations & the most privacy for around 10 to 15GB storage.
>
> Lots of online articles found by searching "best free cloud storage",

Most are worthless shills. I know this because once in a while I know what
the best app for a task is, oh, say, Irfanview on Windows for image
viewing. Nothing is better, right? Well, if you look at the articles found,
most don't even mention Irfanview. I don't know why but I suspect the
purpose of the article is to make money and to do that they need someone to
pay them for their clicks, and it's not going to happen with Irfanview.

My point is that most "best free cloud storage" articles are going to be
worthless shills - because they're trying to sell you something.

When I ask here on this group, nobody is trying to sell me anything.

> like:
> https://www.techradar.com/best/best-free-cloud-storage-service

This is the order of the links that article provided where I skimmed
each to look for how much storage is really free, & summarize below.
2GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/internxt-cloud-storage
$$$ https://www.techradar.com/reviews/icedrive
$$$ https://www.techradar.com/reviews/degoo
$20 https://www.techradar.com/reviews/mega
15GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/google-drive
3GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nordlocker
5GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/apple-icloud
5GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/microsoft-onedrive-for-office-365
2GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dropbox-cloud-storage-review
$$$ https://www.techradar.com/reviews/backblaze
5GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/synccom

Note that only Maga says "no credit card required" I think, which is
another requirement because once they get your card, you're dead.

At the end of the article was a table that was kind of useful though.
1TB free Terabox CN
30GB free Box US
25GB free Storj WW
20GB free Blomp US
20GB free Degoo EU
20GB free Digiboxx IN
20GB free Mega NZ
20GB free Mobidrive US
20GB free Shadowdrive EU
15GB free Google Drive US
10GB free Backlaze US
10GB free Bacloud EU
10GB free Filen EU
10GB free G Cloud UK
10GB free IceDrive EU
10GB free IDrive US
10GB free Internxt EU
10GB free Koofr EU
10GB free Mediafire US
10GB free Mimedia UK
10GB free pCloud EU
5GB free Cozy EU
5GB free iCloud US
5GB free JottaCloud EU
5GB free OneDrive US
5GB free OpenDrive US
5GB free Sync US
5GB free Yandex RU
3GB free Cloudme EU
3GB free Memopal EU
3GB free Nordlocker EU
2GB free DropBox US
2GB free GMX EU
2GB free Jumpshare US
1GB free Proton Drive EU

> https://www.cloudwards.net/the-top-5-cloud-companies-with-large-free-service-plans/

That also has a useful summary table.
pCloud - Best overall free cloud storage with 10GB free and file syncing
Sync.com - 5GB free, best for security
Icedrive - 10GB free, best fast cloud storage
MEGA - Whopping 20GB free with no strings attached
Google Drive - 15GB free with document collaboration
OneDrive - 5GB free cloud storage but with a 100GB file size limit
Koofr - 10GB of free space with great security and privacy
Dropbox - 2GB free with good syncing capabilities
iCloud Drive - 5GB free online storage for Apple users
MediaFire - 10GB free bare-bones file storage
Degoo - 100GB free backup space

Where it's useful to note the "no strings attached" is obviously
what I would want (and I'd assume it's what most people want too).

> However, "best" doesn't mean all your criteria will get satisfied.

My criteria are pretty simple. Free. No credit card.
A login is OK. No ads. No file size limit. No time limits.

What else are the things almost everyone would want?

> Get too greedy on criteria using someone else's dollar, and you'll criteria
> yourself out of many choices.

That's the whole point. To cull out the bad guys.
If they require a credit card, for example, it's worthless to me.

> Can't be "big", must provide 20GB
> minimum, and so on, and eventually you're looking for your parents to
> pay the bills.

What bills? It's got to be free. Like really free. Zero dollars. Ever.

> These are resources cost money, so many "free" services
> are lures into paid plans once you get a taste and want more.

Never going to happen with me. That's why the lack of a credit card
requirement is paramount. It's got to be really free. Not fake free.

> Anyone operating a totally free cloud storage service like you want
> would have to be very wealthy to afford all the costs, or rely on
> donations which means eventually the experiment fails since freeloaders
> don't pay even for donations, and if you're willing to pay for donations
> then look at paid services.

I don't know how they make their money but they're not going to
be making a dime off of me, at least not by me paying for it.

What I want is the following.
1. At least 10 GB or more for free with file sizes at least 2GB (movies).
2. No credit card. At most I'll create an account. But that's it.
3. I don't care about encryption (I can do it myself).
4. I don't care about synchronization (I can do it myself).

That's about it for my requirements, which I would think most people have.

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<151zon168i1cx.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49663&group=comp.mobile.android#49663

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 22:25:53 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 04:25 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 15:38:31 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>>> It would be nice if we can come up with the "best" free cloud storage which
>>> has the least limitations & the most privacy for around 10 to 15GB storage.
>>
>> Lots of online articles found by searching "best free cloud storage",
>
> Most are worthless shills. I know this because once in a while I know what
> the best app for a task is, oh, say, Irfanview on Windows for image
> viewing. Nothing is better, right?

I've used both Irfanview and XnView Classic, and both where concurrently
installed to try both. I dropped Irfanview, and went to XnView. So,
no, what are your favorites or meet your criteria may not be considered
best by criteria of others.

You don't mention just how you intent to use cloud storage. Could be
copies of files, copies of backup files, offline storage from your own
hosts, for images, for doc files, to use as a file sharing service, or
something else.

> Well, if you look at the articles found, most don't even mention
> Irfanview.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+image+viewer+windows+review

Irfanview first in the table list. It has an antiquated GUI, and
reviewers often look at what is or looks new.

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/top-windows-photo-viewer/
https://beebom.com/best-photo-viewers-windows-10/
https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/best-photo-viewers-windows-10.html
https://democreator.wondershare.com/video-editor/photo-viewer-apps-windows10.html
https://windowsreport.com/photo-viewers-windows-10/
and the list goes on and on.

Some of those are reviews by authors who note other products than their
own. Search results refute your unsubstantiated claim.

> I don't know why but I suspect ...

So, you don't know.

> My point is that most "best free cloud storage" articles are going to be
> worthless shills - because they're trying to sell you something.

Learn how to search online.

> When I ask here on this group, nobody is trying to sell me anything.

Except their opinion on what they use, so their slant is their opinion,
and their criteria may be significantly different than yours.

>> like:
>> https://www.techradar.com/best/best-free-cloud-storage-service
>
> This is the order of the links that article provided where I skimmed
> each to look for how much storage is really free, & summarize below.
> 2GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/internxt-cloud-storage
> $$$ https://www.techradar.com/reviews/icedrive
> $$$ https://www.techradar.com/reviews/degoo
> $20 https://www.techradar.com/reviews/mega
> 15GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/google-drive
> 3GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nordlocker
> 5GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/apple-icloud
> 5GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/microsoft-onedrive-for-office-365
> 2GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dropbox-cloud-storage-review
> $$$ https://www.techradar.com/reviews/backblaze
> 5GB https://www.techradar.com/reviews/synccom
>
> Note that only Maga says "no credit card required" I think, which is
> another requirement because once they get your card, you're dead.

Since when has Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Dropbox required a
credit card to create an account, and use the free quota of storage?
Having to create an account to get their free storage quota is not the
same as giving them credit card info.

Note that there are Android apps that operate as aggregators or
consolidators of multiple cloud storage accounts. You can add multiple
cloud accounts to the consolidator app, and it somewhat makes all the
online storage quota look unified. However, you still cannot use more
storage quota than you have in an account, and are still restricted to
file size and bandwidth limits imposed by each account. For example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syndoc.merlin

If you get their Pro version ($3/mo), you get a 100 GB storage quota
along with management of your other cloud storage accounts. With the
free cloud storage services available, you can combine them into a
rather large cloud drive; however, they are not combined in their
quotas, so you still have limits based on each account. Their sync
client acts like a file manager to view all your cloud accounts, so it
is easier to copy files between cloud services. However, I use OneDrive
(15 GB), Google Drive (15 GB), and Dropbox (2 GB), and all I have to do
to move files across cloud services is just use the Windows File Manager
to copy/move files between the folders monitored by their local sync
clients.

Instead of having to use multiple brand-specific sync clients on your
devices, you use one to view them all. The big cloud providers (that
you want to avoid) supply their APIs to let programs access their cloud
service.

https://developers.google.com/drive/api/guides/about-sdk
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/onedrive-concept-overview
https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/overview
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/API/Welcome.html
https://developer.box.com/reference/

I'm sure there are other cloud storage consolidator apps. This is one I
remembered from a recent newsgroup discussion suggested by someone else.
That's on my desktop PC. I have OneDrive and Google Drive on my Android
phone, so I could use a file manager there to move, rename, copy, delete
files on those cloud services, but using a unified cloud manager might
be easier on Android.

If you're afraid of a cloud provider stealing your highly sensitive
files you sync to their cloud, just make sure to encrypt it locally, so
it is stored encrypted on their server. While you can use 7-zip, Peazip
(a fork of 7-zip with more features and nicer GUI), you can also use
web-centric apps that locally encrypt. I use MS OneNote which is free
on Windows (as Win32 and UWP app), MacOS, iOS, and Android to
synchronize notes across devices. I can encrypt some, or all, sections
in a notebook, so that data is encrypted locally, and up on the OneDrive
server. Without the password, no one can see those notebook sections.
And I do NOT use the same notebook passwords as for my account login
(which get their own unique password, so login passwords are NOT reused
or shared across domains).

>> However, "best" doesn't mean all your criteria will get satisfied.
>
> My criteria are pretty simple. Free. No credit card.
> A login is OK. No ads. No file size limit. No time limits.

While I have OneDrive, Google Drive, and Dropbox accounts, I rarely need
to use their web site, and that's the only I would see ads, if any.
Plus, I have uBlock Origin add-on in my web browser that would smash
most ads such sites might want to push in my face. As for the sync
clients on my desktop PC and Android phone, I *never* see ads from
theme. Plus, I'm only in their local apps when I need to change
configuration, not when I want to put files where they monitor to sync
online (and then to another device). I don't know where are all these
ads you claim are disrupting or interferring with their use.

> What else are the things almost everyone would want?
>
>> Get too greedy on criteria using someone else's dollar, and you'll criteria
>> yourself out of many choices.
>
> That's the whole point. To cull out the bad guys.

No, you're culling out the guys that want to stay in business. No one
must be altruistic so you can freeload. Manpower, servers, bandwidth,
and software cost money. 100% free services are hard to survive.
Someone has to foot the bill you don't want to pay despite you are using
their services, resources, and property.

You keep making the "big guys" into bad guys, but you make claims that
I've not experienced ever with Google, Microsoft, or Dropbox. No credit
card, and no ads. As for fear of theft of your data, well, that's your
responsibility to encrypt before sync, or find a service that includes
in-transit (end-to-end) encryption. Mega looks to do that, but only if
you use their app. When connecting to their web site, you're already
using HTTPS, so your data is already encrypted in-transit.

> What bills? It's got to be free. Like really free. Zero dollars. Ever.

And several have been mentioned, including big bad guys who do NOT get
your credit card, and have free service tiers for freeloaders, like you
and me.

> What I want is the following.
> 1. At least 10 GB or more for free with file sizes at least 2GB (movies).
> 2. No credit card. At most I'll create an account. But that's it.
> 3. I don't care about encryption (I can do it myself).
> 4. I don't care about synchronization (I can do it myself).

Several have already been mentioned. You get to create an account, and
they have a free service tier, and I've not seen one that asks for a
credit card until you choose to upgrade to a higher service tier. Go
test yourself. If you find some limitation, or behavior, you don't like
with their free tier, drop them and test another. You have maybe half a
dozen to check. What anyone can give you here is their experience with
one or two candidates, or recite to you the specs on those services you
could read yourself. You have nothing to loss except your time to
determine which is really best for you, not what someone else says is
best for you.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upngah$3ikp1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49667&group=comp.mobile.android#49667

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Google
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:02:25 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:02 UTC

On 03.02.24 10:27, Wolf Greenblatt wrote:
> Something like "Sync - Secure cloud storage" only more than 5GB for free?
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sync.mobileapp

This is in no way E2E-encypted.
But it does not claim it either.

--
"Manus manum lavat."

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<l291dlFo8ktU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49671&group=comp.mobile.android#49671

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Google
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:49:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:49 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt wrote:

> 1TB free Terabox CN
> 30GB free Box US
> 25GB free Storj WW
> 20GB free Blomp US
> 20GB free Degoo EU
> 20GB free Digiboxx IN
> 20GB free Mega NZ

Where is WW?

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<upo30j$3lnr3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49673&group=comp.mobile.android#49673

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 08:20:40 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:20 UTC

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote

| eventually you're looking for your parents to
| pay the bills. These are resources cost money, so many "free" services
| are lures into paid plans once you get a taste and want more. Anyone
| operating a totally free cloud storage service like you want would have
| to be very wealthy to afford all the costs, or rely on donations which
| means eventually the experiment fails since freeloaders don't pay even
| for donations, and if you're willing to pay for donations then look at
| paid services.

Nice to see someone speak plain truth once in awhile. :)

Re: Free secure 10GB to 15GB cloud storage NOT from the likes of Google

<l2boviF92atU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49692&group=comp.mobile.android#49692

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Google
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:44:19 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 09:44 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt, 2024-02-03 10:27:

> Anyone know of good free secure cloud storage NOT from the big players?
> Not Google Cloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive & the like.

Running a server costs money for maintenance, backup, network connection
and electricity. So even a "free" service has to be paid with something.

If a service is "free", than you usually pay with your data or it is
sponsored by paid customers which book more the paid packages and you
have to take into account that the even the free offer may become a paid
service or cancelled at any time.

> End-to-end encrypted where they can't decrypt it even if they wanted to?

Host your own "cloud" at home - but even this will cost money for
electricity and internet connectivity which is usually not for free:

<https://nextcloud.com/athome/>

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de