In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble. -- Alan Perlis

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

SubjectAuthor
* How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Applesms
+* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
|+- Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. toDeny Andrianto
| `- Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletDeny Andrianto
+* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
|`- Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
+* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
| `* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
|  `- Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. toDeny Andrianto
`* Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletAndy Burnelli
 `- Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple WalletYK

1
How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stjtqs$pi2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27372&group=comp.mobile.android#27372

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple
Wallet and Google Pay
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:12:27 -0800
 by: sms - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 19:12 UTC

How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple
Wallet and Google Pay
This is a question that is often asked as people want to stop carrying
so many different cards in their wallet.

Here is how you can do it:

Create a JPG with the that looks similar to your physical card. Only the
bar code really matters, but make it look like the real card.

There are many bar code generator web sites available, the hard part is
often determining the type of bar code used on the physical card. You
can find it by trial and error using web sites that can generate many
different formats. I have not found an iOS App that scans the bar code
_and_ tells you the format being used, but an Android app that does that
is
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android>.

For Costco it is EAN-13 format.

To add a card to your phone, for iOS use the Pass2U App
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pass2u-wallet-cards-coupons/id1142473931>
to load it into your digital wallet; for Android use the Pass2Pay app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=color.dev.com.tangerine>
to add the card to Google Pay.

Unfortunately, the Pass2U app on iOS doesn't allow a large image of the
card to be stored, you get a big bar code but only a tiny image of the
card, so it might not satisfy a cashier who wants to see the picture
(but will work fine at self-checkout). The Android Pass2Pay app is much
better, you get a large image of the card in Google Pay.

Costco won't be able to do official Apple Wallet digital cards (yet)
because Apple Wallet doesn't support the EAN-13 bar code format (Apple
Wallet supports only Aztec, Code 128, PDF417, and QR formats). Google
Pay supports Aztec, Code 39, Code 128, EAN-13, PDF 417, QR, UPC-A so it
would be possible for Costco to do a Google Pay digital card. The paid
version of Pass2U also supports EAN-13, but not the free version.

At self-checkout, all that matters is the bar code of the member number.
This is really a weak system for Costco because there is no checking as
to whether or not the person checking out is a member or is using
someone else's card.

I detail this in #133a in the document
<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>.

BTW, for flip phones, you could still put an image of a membership card
on the phone.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stkaov$mjp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27375&group=comp.mobile.android#27375

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 22:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 22:53 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:12:27 -0800, sms wrote:

> Apple Wallet doesn't support the EAN-13 bar code format (Apple
> Wallet supports only Aztec, Code 128, PDF417, and QR formats). Google
> Pay supports Aztec, Code 39, Code 128, EAN-13, PDF 417, QR, UPC-A so it
> would be possible for Costco to do a Google Pay digital card. The paid
> version of Pass2U also supports EAN-13, but not the free version.

Hmmmm.... maybe we can all learn something from Steve's thread here...

Given I don't/won't use Apple-Pay/Google-Pay/Samsung-Pay like mechanism, I
first want to _thank_ Steve for bringing up that there are different formats
(and that individual apps may or may not support any given barcode format).

Other than what Steve wrote, I was ignorant of which formats my own bar code
scanner supports, so I looked at the app to see what it says about that.
*Barcode Scanner*, by Cognex <https://cmbdn.cognex.com/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manateeworks.barcodescanners>

As I choose only the best free apps on the planet, I'd love to know how it
compares with the one that Steve suggested as the Cognex app has tons of
settings and says they support all barcode standards (from what I recall).

Looking on the free ad free app itself, there are "barcode type" settings
*Aztec* === on or off (default = off)
*Codabar* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-11* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-25* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-39* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Code-93* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-128* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Data Matrix* === on or off (default = on)
*DotCode* === on or off (default = off)
*GS1* DataBar (RSS) === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*MaxiCode* === on or off (default = off)
*MSI* Plessey === on or off (default = off)
*PDF417* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Postal* Codes === on or off (default = off)
*QR* code === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*UPC* & *EAN* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)

There are a ton of "scanner settings" (e.g., Target Decoding, default = off)
And a ton of "result settings" (e.g., search options & automation options).
And a selection of typical "encoding settings" such as these
Auto
UTF-8
UTF-16
UTF=-32
ISO-8859-1
ISO-8859-2
Shift_JIS
US-ASCII
US-ASCII with non printable as HEX

There's a lot more, e.g., options to scan images from your picture gallery.
There is a history that you can enable, a switch to turn on the phone LED,
and a section on automation such as "open results automatically", etc.

I admit I didn't know _any_ of this existed where I only ask those who know
more than I do what _use_ any of those settings my be in the real world.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stkdf5$1k93$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27377&group=comp.mobile.android#27377

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:39:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 23:39 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 22:53:20 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Hmmmm.... maybe we can all learn something from Steve's thread here...

Since the goal on Usenet is to _learn_ from every thread & every poster...

1. I was completely ignorant of barcode scanner types that Steve brought up.
2. In a couple of minutes, I found seemingly the best available (see below).
3. Then I opened a _separate_ thread asking what "formats" people prefer.
*Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} do you use*
*(and more importantly so we can learn from you) what do you look for?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/HZSQT6aqdIw>

Below is the result of less than five minutes of research, but I think it
adds value to Steve's thread (e.g., there's a _better_ app than the one
Steve listed, and it's from the _same_ outfit that Steve's app is from).

This is the post, verbatim, from the thread above, which adds value here.
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ....
Which free ad free barcode {scanner,identifier,generator} app do you use
(and more importantly so we can learn from you) what do you look for?

In a recent thread, Steve helpfully noted that barcode scanner apps can do
a. Scanning an existing barcode
b. Identifying the type of barcode
c. Generating a new barcode

Where two of those tasks I've never done, so that's why I'm asking for help
& advice from the Usenet team, where some members know a lot more than I do.

_SCANNING_:
I had previously installed from my Aurora Google Play Store client search:
*Barcode Scanner*, by Cognex (4.5 rated) <https://cmbdn.cognex.com/>

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manateeworks.barcodescanners>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
*Aztec* === on or off (default = off)
*Codabar* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-11* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-25* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-39* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Code-93* === on or off (default = off)
*Code-128* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Data Matrix* === on or off (default = on)
*DotCode* === on or off (default = off)
*GS1 DataBar* (RSS) === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*MaxiCode* === on or off (default = off)
*MSI Plessey* === on or off (default = off)
*PDF417* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*Postal Codes* === on or off (default = off)
*QR code* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)
*UPC* & *EAN* === on or off & additional settings (default = on)

_IDENTIFYING_:
Steve suggested this app, for example, for _identifying_ the barcode type:
*Barcode Scanner*, by ZXing (3.9 rated)

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
*1D Product* === on or off (default = on)
*1D Industrial* === on or off (default = on)
*QR Codes* === on or off (default = on)
*Data Matrix* === on or off (default = on)
*Aztec* === on or off (default = off)
*PDF417* (beta) === on or off (default = off)
Although this appears to be an "enhanced" version from the same ZXing outfit
*Barcode Scanner+ (Plus)*, by Sean Owen (of ZXing Team)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.srowen.bs.android>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
*1D Product* === on or off (default = on)
*1D Industrial* === on or off (default = on)
*QR Codes* === on or off (default = on)
*Data Matrix* === on or off (default = on)
*Aztec* === on or off (default = off)
*PDF417* (beta) === on or off (default = off)
*NFC* === on or off (default = on)

_GENERATING_:
A search of the Google Play Store repository using stringent Aurora filters
for highly rated oft-downloaded gsf-free apps came up with more, such as:
*Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou (4.4 rated)

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>
Which apparently supports the following formats:
*QR Code*
*DataMatrix*
*Codabar*
*Code39*
*Code128*
*EAN-8*
*EAN-13*
*UPC-A*
*ITF*
*PDF417*
And which is capable of using your default scanner or the ZXing scanner.

Each has extensive settings (you have to look to see, as I was amazed at the
detail because most of the terminology I had never heard of before today).

--
It's ok if nobody knows more than I do, but in this question, I don't know
anything, so I would hope someone out there knows a LOT more than I do.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stkfuk$bvd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27378&group=comp.mobile.android#27378

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:21:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 00:21 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:12:27 -0800, sms wrote:

> For Costco it is EAN-13 format.
> Costco won't be able to do official Apple Wallet digital cards (yet)
> because Apple Wallet doesn't support the EAN-13 bar code format

Tutorial: *How to create your own platform portable ID card barcode*.

This is an _improvement_ in Steve's excellent OP in that it's _one_ step.
1. One app (Aeiou barcode generator)
2. One step (scan & save)
3. The result is a "picture" file of your Costco ID EAN-13 barcode.

Given I've _never_ done any of this, I _thank_ Steve for bringing it up!
Hopefully others out there know a lot more than I do to improve it further!

My first test generating a Costco barcode (in png, jpg, and webp formats):
1. Aurora searched for a free, ad-free, google-free, gsf-free oft-downloaded
highly rated barcode generator app, & found as the top hit this nice app:
*Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou (4.4 rated)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>

2. I started the app, pressed the red plus button & scanned my costco card,
which read in and identified the barcode format as EAN-13, and then I hit
the export button which gave me choices of where on main or secondary
storage to export the {png,jpg,webp} file, the font, and the desired
colors (background and foreground), fonts, and the desired image size
(default is 800x800 with options for 107,214,428,400,800 * 1600 px).

3. Most of the steps Steve described in the OP aren't apparently needed,
because even if you don't have the card to scan, you can generate the
image just from typing in the numbers to generate in these formats:
*QR Code*
*DataMatrix*
*Codabar*
*Code39*
*Code128*
*EAN-8*
*EAN-13*
*UPC-A*
*ITF*
*PDF417*

The result was found in the default (settable) directory of
/storage/emulated/0/download/1234567890123.{png,jpg,webp}

Optionally, you can save these cards in an encrypted folder which is
portable across all common platforms (e.g., Windows, Android & Linux)
VeraCrypt <https://veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html>
TrueCrypt <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt>
LUKS <https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup>
EncFS <https://github.com/vgough/encfs/>

I don't know of a free iOS encrypted file container app; but this is an
Android truecrypt/veracrypt compatible encrypted file container app:
*EDS Lite* by sovworks <http://www.sovworks.com/>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.sovworks.edslite/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>

In summary, this tutorial shows you how, in a single step, you can put into
your portable encrypted file container your Costco EAN-13 barcode, where
that portable file container is instantly usable on all common platforms.
--
Note that I have only spent about 15 minutes on this stuff so others should
be able to vastly improve on the steps I came up with on my own above.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stkp2n$ueq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27389&group=comp.mobile.android#27389

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:57:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 02:57 UTC

Here is additional purposefully helpful kind-hearted data because all
my many tutorials are, by strategy, always designed to work on all
platforms, for free, so that _every_ user has the benefit, given I have a
good heart and my goal, always, is that everyone benefits always.

Here's the prior setup, on Android, showing the apps that were used:
<https://i.postimg.cc/R0CCDv40/barcode01.jpg>

Given the previous nascent tutorial won't work fully on Windows or Linux
until we add the Windows/Linux EAN-13 format barcode generator, as always,
I'll spend the time and energy to help all others find that software.

While, as Steve already noted, there are web-based barcode generators:
e.g., <https://barcode.tec-it.com/en/EAN13>
<https://products.aspose.app/barcode/generate/ean>
<https://www.terryburton.co.uk/barcodewriter/generator/>
etc.
It's worthwhile to note that both Linux & macOS have command line tools.
<https://www.activebarcode.com/commandline/bash.html>
Which, given most native Linux distros run inside of Android, is in Termux.
<https://andronix.app/>
That gives us CLI barcode generator for all but iOS (which always is later).
<https://linux.die.net/man/1/barcode>

However, on both Linux and Android, a general solution usually entails an
easier to use graphical interface, of which plenty exist, but I'm unaware of
the canonical EAN-13 barcode generation tools, so I ask others for help.

A search finds too many to test, where on instant inspection, this supports
just about every barcode format to have been defined by man or beast.
<https://www.tec-it.com/en/support/knowbase/barcode-software/barcode-linux/formats/default.aspx>

Those Linux/macOS/Windows Barcode Studio downloads are here:
<https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/Default.aspx>
But they appear to be trialware, so I didn't delve further into the details.

A search for free open source graphical barcode generators finds these:
*Free & Open source Barcode generator software*
<https://www.how2shout.com/tools/free-open-source-barcode-generator-software.html>
1. Zint Barcode Generator
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/>
2. Barillo Barcode Software
<https://www.nchsoftware.com/barcode/index.html>
3. HTML Barcode SDK
<https://www.barcoderesource.com/htmlBarcode.shtml>
4. Free Barcode Generator Toolkit
<http://www.free-barcode.com/>
5. qreator
<https://launchpad.net/qreator>
6. EasierSoft �V Simple Barcode Maker (needs translation)
<http://www.barcodegenerator.online/simplebarcode.htm>
7. LabelPath: for Barcode Label Maker and Printing Software
<https://filehippo.com/download_labelpath-barcode-label-maker-software/>
8. Windows Store Barcode generator app
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/store/p/barcode-generator/9wzdncrfj2s1>

Another hit in my search for FOSS barcode generator apps found these:
*5 Best Free Open Source Barcode Generator Software*
<https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-open-source-barcode-generator-software-windows/>
1. Zint Barcode Generator
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/>
2. DMS Barcode Label Generator
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/dmsbarcodegener/>
3. LibreOffice Draw
<https://www.libreoffice.org/>
4. Barcode by jbdemonte
<https://github.com/jbdemonte/barcode>
5. Barcode & Label (My Barcode Software)
<http://www.barcodesoftware.me/>

There are also these lists where I'll only report the new finds there:
*10 Best Free Barcode Scanner Software*
<https://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-barcode-scanner-software-for-windows/>
1. ByteScout BarCode Reader
<http://bytescout.com/>
2. Orphalis Virtual Barcode Reader
<http://www.orpalis.com/>
3. ZBar bar code reader
<http://zbar.sourceforge.net/index.html>
4. kamkode
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/kamkode/>
5. IBscanner Free
<IBscanner Free>
6. BarCoder by Image Components
<http://www.imagecomponents.net/>
7. VidikonReader
<http://vidikon.com/>
8. bcTester
<http://www.bctester.de/en/home.html>

*11 Best Free Barcode Generator Software*
<https://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-barcode-generator-software-for-windows/>
9. Zint Barcode Studio
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/zint/>
10. Free Barcode Generator
<http://download.cnet.com/Free-Barcode-Generator/3000-2064_4-76149727.html>
11. Dataware Barcode Software
<http://download.cnet.com/Barcode-Software/3000-2067_4-10800259.html>
12. SDR Free Barcode Generator
<http://download.cnet.com/SDR-Free-Barcode-Generator/3000-2064_4-76092094.html>
13. BarGen
<http://worldwidehome.de/>
14. BluePOS Barcode Creator
<http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Finances-Business/BluePOS-Barcode-Creator.shtml>
15. Barcode Designer
<http://www.noproblemsoft.com/>
16. EZ Barcode Generator
<http://barcodingworks.com/>
17. Aeromium Barcode Software
<http://www.barcodefonts.net/>

Unfortunately there are too many for me to test, kind hearted as even I am,
that's too much for one person (which is why Usenet is a team sport).

Everyone can pitch in by adding helpful comments which add value.
It's what purposefully helpful kind-hearted adults do who are intelligent.

Moving forward, as always, I recommend you keep an organized system, e.g.,
<https://i.postimg.cc/qvJDMQcq/taskbarmenu02.jpg>

For those of you who don't realize you're picky at the details without
comprehending the overall strategy, the actual names don't matter - the
philosophy of maintaining a hierarchy for decades across people, machines,
and even platforms is what give you the efficiency - not the silly names.

These three are always kept separately, but similar, on all platforms:
a. The archival location...
b. Is the same hierarchy type as the installed location...
c. Which is the same hierarchy type as the menus that run the programs!

To give you an idea, since this is a tutorial, I used this tree:
Archives: C:\archives\editors\barcode\{put downloaded installers here}
Programs: C:\apps\editors\barcode\{install programs into here}
My Menus: C:\menus\editors\barcode\{place shortcuts to exe's here}
Note: As you know, I never use plurals, but added them here for you.

This purposefully helpful kind-hearted response is getting long in the tooth
so I'll just show the results of the first test that I ran for you folks.
Archives: C:\archive\editor\barcode\barillo\barsetup.exe
Programs: C:\apps\editor\barcode\barillo\barillo.exe
My Menus: C:\menus\editor\barcode\barillo\barillo.exe

Barillo Barcode Generator, v1.01
<https://www.nchsoftware.com/barcode/index.html>
<https://www.nchsoftware.com/barcode/barsetup.exe>
Name: barsetup.exe
Size: 223776 bytes (218 KiB)
SHA256: A8FCB69A8D0BD9FC12FA37942A801379CD278C05B0020C08C2DB137CE8E2F606
Note it's a dumb installer incapable of allowing choice to go into

I had to copy it from the idiotically located program files x86 folders.
C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Barillo\barillo.exe

In summary, anyone should now be able to create their own portable encrypted
wallet containing barcodes for their favorite stores, libraries, or
whatever, such that they'll always be available no matter where you are.

As always, please improve as I only learned about this concept an hour ago
so there are likely many of you good hearted people who know far more.
--
There are few kind-hearted purposefully helpful souls who provide free gifts
to everyone, purely out of the goodness of their hearts, and yet, there are

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stlgss$lu0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27405&group=comp.mobile.android#27405

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:43:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:43 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:12:27 -0800, sms wrote:

> For Costco it is EAN-13 format.

Most things "just work" on Android, where they're usually impossible on iOS.
(That's iKook's definition of "easy" for iOS, which is usually crippled.)

However, since this task of generating the Costco EAN-13 barcode on Android
was even _easier_ than what Steve described, I tried it on the crippled iOS.

First hit:
*How to Make Your Own Barcode*
<https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-make-a-barcode-4177067>

This article picks the _same_ Android app that I found independently, so we
know that it's reliably one of the best, so let's look at its iOS choice.
"QR Code Reader - Barcode Maker* by Ca Li Sa
<https://apps.apple.com/app/id1280263470>

I installed this app on my iOS 13.5 iPad (never update iOS until and unless
a loaded gun is placed against your temple because Apple QA is atrocious).

Unfortunately, that piece of shit app has advertisements, which is horrid.

Nonetheless, I tried to ignore the obnoxious ads for our test purposes
(the indignities I have to put up with to test Apple software for you).

You type a code scroll to the type of code you want (& hit the hammer).

Your free choices are:
*QR Code*
*Code 128*
*PDF 417*
*Aztec Code*
*Code 39*

That's it?
Seriously?

The rest are not part of the free app:
*Code 39 Mod 43 (Pro)*
*Code 93 (Pro)*
*ISBN13/ISSN13 (Pro)*
*EAN 8 (Pro)*
*UPCE (Pro)*
*Interleaved 2 of 5 (Pro)*
*ITF 14 (Pro)*

Obviously this app is useless for generating the Costco EAN-13 format, but I
picked Code 128 just to see what else this piece of shit app can do.

It saved the results into the photo album.
But I couldn't do much else with it.

What you _want_ to do is what we did with Android which is save it into a
portable encrypted file container so that it can be used on _all_ devices.

If you know of any flaws in my quick two-minute test above, let me know.
--
What all other platforms easily do, is often impossible to do with iOS.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stli88$1973$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27406&group=comp.mobile.android#27406

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:07:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:07 UTC

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:43:57 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:

> What you _want_ to do is what we did with Android which is save it into a
> portable encrypted file container so that it can be used on _all_ devices.

All we want to do on iOS is what took us only seconds to do on Android.
a. Scan, identify, and generate the Costco EAN-13 barcode image
b. Save that file into a portable encrypted file container on iOS

Is that too much to ask of the often fatally crippled iOS platform?
I don't know yet.

Here is the search I just ran to find a working free iOS app:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+ios+generator+ean-13+barcode>

First hit:
*iPad EAN-13 Generator generate, create barcode EAN-13 image in iPad (iOS)*
<http://www.onbarcode.com/products/ipad_barcode/barcodes/ean13.html>
"An EAN-13 barcode (originally European Article Number) is a barcoding
standard which is a superset of the original 12-digit
Universal Product Code (UPC) system developed in the United States."

That's all well and good, but there isn't any iOS app store link there.

Next hit:
*ampirator/EANBarcodeGenerator*
<https://github.com/ampirator/EANBarcodeGenerator>
"EANBarcodeGenerator provides CIFilter CIEANBarcodeGenerator for generating
EAN-13, UPC-A barcodes.
This generator was created for iOS application PokeWall"
<https://pokewallapp.wordpress.com/>

Ah, let's check out that "Pokewall" app for iOS.
*PokeWall: loyalty cards wallet*, by Sergey Bayborodov
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pokewall/id1449455385>
<https://apps.apple.com/de/app/pokewall-loyalty-cards-wallet/id1449455385>

Unfortunately, on my iOS 13.5 iPad, I get nothing found when I search for
"Pokewall" in the Apple App Store even though the "Compatibility" is for
iOS 10 or greater (although it says "iPhone", often iPhone apps work).

Strangely, I still get nothing resulting from the search even when I set the
primitive Apple App Store non-persistent "filters" to "iPhone only".

Unfortunately, I can't further spoof my iPad OS version and hardware like
you can easily do with Google Play searches on so I'm stuck at this spot.

Does anyone on this newsgroup know iOS well enough to explain why I can find
this app on the Internet with a browser, but not inside the Apple App Store?

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stllj8$p5u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27409&group=comp.mobile.android#27409

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:04:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:04 UTC

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:12:27 -0800, sms wrote:

> I have not found an iOS App that scans the bar code
> _and_ tells you the format being used, but an Android app that does that
> is
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android>.

I knew absolutely nothing about barcode generation until earlier today when
I first read and tried to understand what Steve was helpfully suggesting.

At this point, I can scan, identify, and generate EAN-13 barcodes for both
iOS and Android, using a single free app on each platform, which Steve
wasn't able to do apparently.

Since I'm a purposefully helpful good hearted and rather intelligent person,
I solved all those problems that Steve mentioned above (and a few others
given his was too many steps which I solved with better free software).

For the free (ad supported) iOS app that scans and identifies and generates
the Costco EAN-13 barcode format, I suggest this app which I just tested.
*BarcodeEasy*, by Mapnitude
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcodeeasy/id1095034404>

For a _better_ free ad-free Android app that scans and identifies and
generates the Costco EAN-13 barcode format, I suggest this free app:
*Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>

You can move that image into a portable encrypted container on Android with
*EDS Lite* by sovworks <http://www.sovworks.com/>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.sovworks.edslite/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>

For the iPhone, this article explains some of the potential options
*TrueCrypt Alternatives for iPhone*
<https://alternativeto.net/software/truecrypt/?platform=iphone>

For example these "might" work but I haven't found a free iOS app yet.
Crypto Disks & Explorer Lite (or Crypto Disks & File Explorer?)
<https://zyingp.github.io/cryptodisks/crypto-en.html>
<https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/crypto-disks-explorer-lite/id949246335?l=en&mt=8>

Searching further, I can find this non free app which others can test.
*Disk Decipher*, by Richard Huveneers
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/disk-decipher/id516538625>

The only thing missing, really, is a free general purpose
truecrypt-compatible portable encryption container that for iOS.

There must be many people on this ng who know iOS apps far better than I do,
so I'm asking those good hearted others to let us know what you found as I
can't know more than all of them about the availability of free portable iOS
encrypted file container apps.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<stllkg$pu0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=27410&group=comp.mobile.android#27410

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 11:04:49 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:07:05 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Does anyone on this newsgroup know iOS well enough to explain why I can find
> this app on the Internet with a browser, but not inside the Apple App Store?

Until someone who knows iOS answers why PokeWall wasn't found, I moved on.

I next found this free app which says it outputs "EAN-13 (ISBN)" format.
*BarcodeEasy*, by Mapnitude
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcodeeasy/id1095034404>

The app installed on my iOS 13.5 iPad and asked to send notifications, which
I denied; it asked to access the camera which I allowed, and then it opened
with "scan", "result", "history", "generate" & "settings" buttons on bottom.

Obnoxious ads showed up at top, but I'll ignore those ads for these tests.
1. My Costco card scan resulted in an immediate EAN-13 identification.
(Notice Steve said he hadn't found an iOS app that does this, so
he should thank me, but he won't because he has his own agenda.)
I long pressed on the 13-digit number to copy it to the iOS clipboard.

2. I selected the "Barcode Type" as "EAN-13" out of the list below:
Aztec, CODABAR, Code {39,93,128}, Data Matrix, EAN-8, EAN-13, ITF
MaxiCode, PDF417, QR Code, RSS 14, & UPC-A, where the barcode
size was settable and defaulted to 500x500 px and I pasted the
clipboard 13-digit number and then hit the blue REFRESH button,
which displayed the EAN-13 barcode. I then hit the green SAVE button,
which gave me a choice of PNG or JPG.

When you hit the SAVE button, a black & white image of a folder icon
shows up but I tapped it to no avail so maybe this is a s/w bug?

Otherwise, it's not at all intuitive _where_ the image was saved
as it's not in the "Photos" app, AFAICT (although you can screenshot
& edit it in a "drawing" app if that's what it must take to do it).

Also I Pressed the "Results" button and hit the round "up arrow" button,
and then "Save to Files" "On My iPad" "Downloads" but that only saved the
text, not the barcode image.

3. The next step is to (find and then) save the JPG or PNG into a
portable encrypted file container on iOS.

Two questions for those of you who know iOS better than I do:
A. Where is the JPG/PNG located that the BarcodeEasy app saved?
B. How do I move that image into a portable encrypted container on iOS?

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<svbba7$18a7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28375&group=comp.mobile.android#28375

From: youkidd...@yahoo.com (YK)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 14:39:45 -0500
 by: YK - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:39 UTC

On 2/5/2022 11:04 AM, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2022 11:12:27 -0800, sms wrote:
>
>> I have not found an iOS App that scans the bar code
>> _and_ tells you the format being used, but an Android app that does that
>> is
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android>.
>
> I knew absolutely nothing about barcode generation until earlier today when
> I first read and tried to understand what Steve was helpfully suggesting.
>
> At this point, I can scan, identify, and generate EAN-13 barcodes for both
> iOS and Android, using a single free app on each platform, which Steve
> wasn't able to do apparently.
>
> Since I'm a purposefully helpful good hearted and rather intelligent person,
> I solved all those problems that Steve mentioned above (and a few others
> given his was too many steps which I solved with better free software).
>
> For the free (ad supported) iOS app that scans and identifies and generates
> the Costco EAN-13 barcode format, I suggest this app which I just tested.
> *BarcodeEasy*, by Mapnitude
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcodeeasy/id1095034404>
>
> For a _better_ free ad-free Android app that scans and identifies and
> generates the Costco EAN-13 barcode format, I suggest this free app:
> *Barcode Generator*, by Aeiou
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blogspot.aeioulabs.barcode>
>
> You can move that image into a portable encrypted container on Android with
> *EDS Lite* by sovworks <http://www.sovworks.com/>
> <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.sovworks.edslite/>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sovworks.edslite>
>
> For the iPhone, this article explains some of the potential options
> *TrueCrypt Alternatives for iPhone*
> <https://alternativeto.net/software/truecrypt/?platform=iphone>
>
> For example these "might" work but I haven't found a free iOS app yet.
> Crypto Disks & Explorer Lite (or Crypto Disks & File Explorer?)
> <https://zyingp.github.io/cryptodisks/crypto-en.html>
> <https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/crypto-disks-explorer-lite/id949246335?l=en&mt=8>
>
> Searching further, I can find this non free app which others can test.
> *Disk Decipher*, by Richard Huveneers
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/disk-decipher/id516538625>
>
> The only thing missing, really, is a free general purpose
> truecrypt-compatible portable encryption container that for iOS.
>
> There must be many people on this ng who know iOS apps far better than I do,
> so I'm asking those good hearted others to let us know what you found as I
> can't know more than all of them about the availability of free portable iOS
> encrypted file container apps.

Doesn't work for me.

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<b5ef7044-c282-4f46-b46f-636771363ef9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42569&group=comp.mobile.android#42569

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 01:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to
Apple Wallet and Google Pay
From: denyandr...@gmail.com (Deny Andrianto)
 by: Deny Andrianto - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 08:07 UTC

Pada Sabtu, 05 Februari 2022 pukul 18.04.50 UTC+7, Andy Burnelli menulis:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:07:05 -0000 (UTC), Andy Burnelli wrote:
>
> > Does anyone on this newsgroup know iOS well enough to explain why I can find
> > this app on the Internet with a browser, but not inside the Apple App Store?
> Until someone who knows iOS answers why PokeWall wasn't found, I moved on.
>
> I next found this free app which says it outputs "EAN-13 (ISBN)" format.
> *BarcodeEasy*, by Mapnitude
> <https://kasanoa.com>
> The app installed on my iOS 13.5 iPad and asked to send notifications, which
> I denied; it asked to access the camera which I allowed, and then it opened
> with "scan", "result", "history", "generate" & "settings" buttons on bottom.
>
> Obnoxious ads showed up at top, but I'll ignore those ads for these tests.
> 1. My Costco card scan resulted in an immediate EAN-13 identification.
> (Notice Steve said he hadn't found an iOS app that does this, so
> he should thank me, but he won't because he has his own agenda.)
> I long pressed on the 13-digit number to copy it to the iOS clipboard.
>
> 2. I selected the "Barcode Type" as "EAN-13" out of the list below:
> Aztec, CODABAR, Code {39,93,128}, Data Matrix, EAN-8, EAN-13, ITF
> MaxiCode, PDF417, QR Code, RSS 14, & UPC-A, where the barcode
> size was settable and defaulted to 500x500 px and I pasted the
> clipboard 13-digit number and then hit the blue REFRESH button,
> which displayed the EAN-13 barcode. I then hit the green SAVE button,
> which gave me a choice of PNG or JPG.
>
> When you hit the SAVE button, a black & white image of a folder icon
> shows up but I tapped it to no avail so maybe this is a s/w bug?
>
> Otherwise, it's not at all intuitive _where_ the image was saved
> as it's not in the "Photos" app, AFAICT (although you can screenshot
> & edit it in a "drawing" app if that's what it must take to do it).
>
> Also I Pressed the "Results" button and hit the round "up arrow" button,
> and then "Save to Files" "On My iPad" "Downloads" but that only saved the
> text, not the barcode image.
> <https://smartlink.id/>

> 3. The next step is to (find and then) save the JPG or PNG into a
> portable encrypted file container on iOS.
>
> Two questions for those of you who know iOS better than I do:
> A. Where is the JPG/PNG located that the BarcodeEasy app saved?
> B. How do I move that image into a portable encrypted container on iOS?

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<94749dce-e745-4aea-8159-1f0db625fa6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46575&group=comp.mobile.android#46575

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 01:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
Apple Wallet and Google Pay
From: denyandr...@gmail.com (Deny Andrianto)
 by: Deny Andrianto - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:57 UTC

Pada Sabtu, 05 Februari 2022 pukul 05.53.22 UTC+7, Andy Burnelli menulis:
> [...]
> And a ton of "result settings" (e.g., search options & automation options).
> And a selection of typical "encoding settings" such as these
> Auto
> UTF-8
> UTF-16
> UTF=-32
> ISO-8859-1
> ISO-8859-2
> Shift_JIS
> US-ASCII
> US-ASCII with non printable as HEX
>
> There's a lot more, e.g., options to scan images from your picture gallery.
> There is a history that you can enable, a switch to turn on the phone LED,
> and a section on automation such as "open results automatically", etc.
>
> I admit I didn't know _any_ of this existed where I only ask those who know
> more than I do what _use_ any of those settings my be in the real world.
<https://finansialadvise.com/>

Re: How to Add Unsupported Membership Cards, Library Cards, etc. to Apple Wallet and Google Pay

<59b55a51-0bb0-42e6-b32c-fe65137f9b0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49789&group=comp.mobile.android#49789

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 13:12:45 -0800 (PST)
Apple Wallet and Google Pay
From: denyandr...@gmail.com (Deny Andrianto)
 by: Deny Andrianto - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 21:12 UTC