From: thi...@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Samsung gets FDA approval for a sleep apnea feature on Galaxy Watch
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:47:12 -0700
 by: david - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 02:47 UTC

Samsung gets FDA approval for a sleep apnea feature on Galaxy Watch
https://www.engadget.com/samsung-gets-fda-approval-for-a-sleep-apnea-feature-on-galaxy-watch-172856948.html

This is the first approval of its kind in the US.

The feature allows those aged 22 and older who have not been diagnosed with
the condition to check for signs of sleep apnea using their smartwatch and
phone. It looks for signs of moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea
(OSA) over a two-night monitoring period. Users will need to track their
sleep for more than four hours twice over a ten-day period to use the
feature.

Re: Samsung gets FDA approval for a sleep apnea feature on Galaxy Watch

<uqdh4l$1k6dl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49879&group=comp.mobile.android#49879

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Samsung gets FDA approval for a sleep apnea feature on
Galaxy Watch
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:31:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wye64fWA9TEYHFb+9snbG4WzilA=
 by: Chris - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:31 UTC

david <this@is.invalid> wrote:
> Samsung gets FDA approval for a sleep apnea feature on Galaxy Watch
> https://www.engadget.com/samsung-gets-fda-approval-for-a-sleep-apnea-feature-on-galaxy-watch-172856948.html
>
> This is the first approval of its kind in the US.
>
> The feature allows those aged 22 and older who have not been diagnosed with
> the condition to check for signs of sleep apnea using their smartwatch and
> phone. It looks for signs of moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea
> (OSA) over a two-night monitoring period. Users will need to track their
> sleep for more than four hours twice over a ten-day period to use the
> feature.

While undoubtedly useful, it's a real shame these manufacturers aren't
working with researchers to develop these applications and more importantly
work out ways to share data with them. The millions of dollars could be
spent more effectively to help people's health.