From: nickc...@is.invalid (Nick Cine)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: A new report suggests Apple support of RCS has nothing to do with the EU
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:01:28 -0700
 by: Nick Cine - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 00:01 UTC

Apple's decision to introduce RCS support to iMessage sometime in 2024
wasn't caused by pressure from Europe, according to a new report.

To answer why Apple changed its stance on RCS, Gruber cannot say with
certainty, but after months of online whispers, he declares Apple's hand
"was effectively forced" by China.

Gruber points out that Chinese carriers have supported RCS for years, to
the level that the Chinese government started in 2023 to codify into law
that new 5G devices would require RCS support to be certified in the
country.

Though Apple is thought to prefer to ignore RCS so it doesn't have to deal
with new non-E2EE protocols or new carrier-controlled protocols, the
control of China's government comes into play and forces changes, the
report concludes.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/24/02/19/apples-new-rcs-stance-may-have-been-forced-by-china

Re: A new report suggests Apple support of RCS has nothing to do with the EU

<ct3BN.391228$xHn7.7640@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50056&group=comp.mobile.android#50056

Subject: Re: A new report suggests Apple support of RCS has nothing to do with
the EU
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 10:22:48 -0500
 by: Alan Browne - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 15:22 UTC

On 2024-02-19 19:01, Nick Cine wrote:
> Apple's decision to introduce RCS support to iMessage sometime in 2024
> wasn't caused by pressure from Europe, according to a new report.
>
> To answer why Apple changed its stance on RCS, Gruber cannot say with
> certainty, but after months of online whispers, he declares Apple's hand
> "was effectively forced" by China.
>
> Gruber points out that Chinese carriers have supported RCS for years, to
> the level that the Chinese government started in 2023 to codify into law
> that new 5G devices would require RCS support to be certified in the
> country.
>
> Though Apple is thought to prefer to ignore RCS so it doesn't have to deal
> with new non-E2EE protocols or new carrier-controlled protocols, the
> control of China's government comes into play and forces changes, the
> report concludes.
>
> https://appleinsider.com/articles/24/02/19/apples-new-rcs-stance-may-have-been-forced-by-china

Good article.

Despite China being a government nightmare for encryption, Apple seem to
want RCS to impelment E2EE. Perhaps in Chinese phones it will be disabled.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.