Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!

computers / comp.mobile.android / You can remove your google groups filters as of today

SubjectAuthor
* You can remove your google groups filters as of todayIndira
`* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayVanguardLH
 `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayAnt
  `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayIndira
   `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayCarlos E.R.
    `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayIndira
     +* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayAndy Burns
     |`* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayPeter
     | `- Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayAndy Burns
     `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayCarlos E.R.
      `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayIndira
       `* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayCarlos E.R.
        +* Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayIndira
        |`- Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayCarlos E.R.
        `- Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of todayAllodoxaphobia

1
You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<ur96hu$2ldoe$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50156&group=comp.mobile.android#50156

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: You can remove your google groups filters as of today
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:52:22 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:22 UTC

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android
Historical content remains viewable.

An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
URL will need to be located that allows people to search before they post
to the c.m.a newsgroup and which allows unique references to recent posts.

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<onp7f20y9q58.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50158&group=comp.mobile.android#50158

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 00:03:30 -0600
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 06:03 UTC

Indira <indira@ghandi.net> wrote:
(also multi-posted to other newsgroups)

> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware
> Historical content remains viewable.

Yay! This was known to occur a couple months ago.

> An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
> URL will need to be located that allows people to search before they post
> to the a.c.f. newsgroup and which allows unique references to recent posts.

Nope, not needed. One, use the search in your own NNTP client. How
much you can search depends on the retention of your NNTP client. Two,
modus operandi is no one bothers to search any newsgroup before posting.

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<RYidnZdz_cGZekX4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50164&group=comp.mobile.android#50164

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:42:12 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:42 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Indira <indira@ghandi.net> wrote:
> (also multi-posted to other newsgroups)

> > https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware
> > Historical content remains viewable.

> Yay! This was known to occur a couple months ago.

Google should had done it sooner. :P However, I miss searching for old
posts. I really miss old DejaNews before Google took over.

> > An updated web-searchable no-login web-search archive that reports a unique
> > URL will need to be located that allows people to search before they post
> > to the a.c.f. newsgroup and which allows unique references to recent posts.

> Nope, not needed. One, use the search in your own NNTP client. How
> much you can search depends on the retention of your NNTP client. Two,
> modus operandi is no one bothers to search any newsgroup before posting.

And NSP's retentions.
--
"[Jesus] was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross." --Acts 2:23. :) (L/C)NY (wood dragon).
| |o o| |

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<urasqr$2pomh$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50166&group=comp.mobile.android#50166

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:18:43 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 19:48 UTC

Ant wrote:

> I really miss old DejaNews before Google took over.

+1.

The people who never searched before posting will say the loss of the
dejanews (which Google took over) search engine (which was available to
everyone, and which only searched Usenet and which cost zero dollars and
which allowed the user to read the entire thread - not just one post - and
which allowed users to reference the post, etc) is no big deal.

But those people who say that are always exactly the people who never
searched before they posted anyway. So they never needed a Usenet search.

If you want to search before you post, then there will probably be new
engines that come up, although none with the retention that Google had.

The Usenet-only replacement search engine needs to be free to all, with
just a browser, not needing an account, and having infinite retention.

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<gfenakxa1l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50168&group=comp.mobile.android#50168

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 22:14:56 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:14 UTC

On 2024-02-23 20:48, Indira wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>
>> I really miss old DejaNews before Google took over.
>
> +1.
> The people who never searched before posting will say the loss of the
> dejanews (which Google took over) search engine (which was available to
> everyone, and which only searched Usenet and which cost zero dollars and
> which allowed the user to read the entire thread - not just one post - and
> which allowed users to reference the post, etc) is no big deal.
>
> But those people who say that are always exactly the people who never
> searched before they posted anyway. So they never needed a Usenet search.

Many people thought that search was impossible.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<urb2dh$2q144$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50169&group=comp.mobile.android#50169

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 02:54:01 +0530
 by: Indira - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:24 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Many people thought that search was impossible.

There is rarely something new that is posted to any newsgroup.
Which is why it's normal for a person to search before posting.

And yet, the people who never search will likely still never search.
The only difference is they now have a better excuse for being lazy.

There are some searches still possible but none as good as dejanews.
https://usenetarchives.com/

For Android, there's David Cavion's narkive for example, but ever since he
got a full-time job, he hasn't had any time to make it work like it should.
https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<l3shv0F2p8tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50170&group=comp.mobile.android#50170

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:45:03 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:45 UTC

Indira wrote:

> There is rarely something new that is posted to any newsgroup.
> Which is why it's normal for a person to search before posting.

There were times when I searched and found a similar question from
someone else, and found that it was *me* who had answered it!

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<ftlnakxegu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50172&group=comp.mobile.android#50172

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 00:21:51 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 23:21 UTC

On 2024-02-23 22:24, Indira wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Many people thought that search was impossible.
>
> There is rarely something new that is posted to any newsgroup.
> Which is why it's normal for a person to search before posting.
>
> And yet, the people who never search will likely still never search.
> The only difference is they now have a better excuse for being lazy.

I did try to search, initially, but then I found out that I could not
search more than my current store, which was less than a year at the
time, so searching was pointless.

It took me a long time to learn that there were other possibilities for
searching.

> There are some searches still possible but none as good as dejanews.
> https://usenetarchives.com/
> For Android, there's David Cavion's narkive for example, but ever since he
> got a full-time job, he hasn't had any time to make it work like it should.
> https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<urbhpp$rllo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50173&group=comp.mobile.android#50173

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:46:33 +0000
 by: Peter - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:46 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> There is rarely something new that is posted to any newsgroup.
>> Which is why it's normal for a person to search before posting.
>
> There were times when I searched and found a similar question from
> someone else, and found that it was *me* who had answered it!

I too find your answers often when I search before I post.

I find this search engine confusing, but what do you think of it?
https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<urbi3j$2vkbv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50174&group=comp.mobile.android#50174

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 07:21:48 +0530
 by: Indira - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:51 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> It took me a long time to learn that there were other possibilities for
> searching.

That's why we're all here helping each other learn about the world. :->

Here are, for example, some Message-ID search engines (of course,
once you have the Message-ID, you already have more than usual).
http://al.howardknight.net/
http://news.chmurka.net/mid.php
http://usenet.ovh/index.php?article=ual

Do you know of any other Usenet Message-ID search engines?

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<l3tnc7F80mvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50175&group=comp.mobile.android#50175

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:23:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:23 UTC

Peter wrote:

> I find this search engine confusing, but what do you think of it?
> https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical

I do use the waybackMachine part of archive.org, but until now used
dejagoogle for usenet searches, obviously that doesn't immediately go
away or stop being useful, but howardknight et al. but they're only
useful if you know a specific message that you want ...

I don't find archive.org intuitive for usenet searches, one notable
blackhole is uk.telecom which google "nuked" from their servers due to
gmail credit card scammers, I tried searching for any messages from
Peter Strangmann but couldn't find anything :-(

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<c2cuakxqee.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50242&group=comp.mobile.android#50242

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:16:44 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:16 UTC

On 2024-02-24 02:51, Indira wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> It took me a long time to learn that there were other possibilities
>> for searching.
>
> That's why we're all here helping each other learn about the world. :->
>
> Here are, for example, some Message-ID search engines (of course, once
> you have the Message-ID, you already have more than usual).
> http://al.howardknight.net/
> http://news.chmurka.net/mid.php
> http://usenet.ovh/index.php?article=ual
>
> Do you know of any other Usenet Message-ID search engines?

Not really. I used google the last times I did a search.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<urijvq$3k71d$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50248&group=comp.mobile.android#50248

From: ind...@ghandi.net (Indira)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:36:51 +0530
 by: Indira - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:06 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> Do you know of any other Usenet Message-ID search engines?
>
> Not really. I used google the last times I did a search.

Everyone (who searched before they posted) has been using Google since
about two decades or so ago (which cuts down on the number of repeat
questions especially since there are already too many repeat questions).
https://www.wired.com/2001/02/google-buys-deja-archive/

A lot of people don't understand the real problem here.

The real problem with the google spam (which went from 30K spams per day to
fewer than 900 spams per day since Feb 22nd according to the Usenet peering
admins) wasn't the spam itself (since that could be filtered and Google
could be depeered) but that the search engine was being hammered with
nonsensical results, and is now no longer being updated with new posts.

That's the crime here.
The loss of a search engine we've been using for more than two decades.

Moving forward, there are efforts underway to create new search engines.

Some of which I list below but I'm only slowly finding out about them.
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android (deprecated 22Feb24)
https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/
https://pi-dach.dorfdsl.de/rocksolid/search.php
https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mobile.android
https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical
https://usenetarchives.com/

Which of those do you like best?

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<slrnutponi.1uka.trepidation@vps.jonz.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50256&group=comp.mobile.android#50256

From: trepidat...@example.net (Allodoxaphobia)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 26 Feb 2024 19:13:54 GMT
 by: Allodoxaphobia - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:13 UTC

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:16:44 +0100, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2024-02-24 02:51, Indira wrote:
>>
>> Do you know of any other Usenet Message-ID search engines?
>
> Not really. I used google the last times I did a search.

In the past I've used: http://al.howardknight.net/
But, not recently.
YMMV

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Re: You can remove your google groups filters as of today

<p2dvakxp2k.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50261&group=comp.mobile.android#50261

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:40:09 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:40 UTC

On 2024-02-26 19:06, Indira wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> Do you know of any other Usenet Message-ID search engines?
>>
>> Not really. I used google the last times I did a search.
>
> Everyone (who searched before they posted) has been using Google since
> about two decades or so ago (which cuts down on the number of repeat
> questions especially since there are already too many repeat questions).
> https://www.wired.com/2001/02/google-buys-deja-archive/
>
> A lot of people don't understand the real problem here.
>
> The real problem with the google spam (which went from 30K spams per day to
> fewer than 900 spams per day since Feb 22nd according to the Usenet peering
> admins) wasn't the spam itself (since that could be filtered and Google
> could be depeered) but that the search engine was being hammered with
> nonsensical results, and is now no longer being updated with new posts.

And those spam posts were not deleted from google servers, so searches
find them instead of useful results.

> That's the crime here.
> The loss of a search engine we've been using for more than two decades.

Right.

> Moving forward, there are efforts underway to create new search engines.
>
> Some of which I list below but I'm only slowly finding out about them.
> https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android (deprecated 22Feb24)
> https://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com/
> https://pi-dach.dorfdsl.de/rocksolid/search.php
> https://www.novabbs.com/computers/thread.php?group=comp.mobile.android
> https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical
> https://usenetarchives.com/
>
> Which of those do you like best?

I don't know, sorry, I have no experience on them.

--
Cheers, Carlos.