Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion. -- Mike Coleman

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Swapping Parts.

SubjectAuthor
* Swapping Parts.Tom Kunich
`* Re: Swapping Parts.Frank Krygowski
 `* Re: Swapping Parts.Tom Kunich
  `* Re: Swapping Parts.John B.
   `* Re: Swapping Parts.Ralph Barone
    `- Re: Swapping Parts.Tom Kunich

1
Swapping Parts.

<5e68bbf1-eb77-4271-acc2-1aec4a1d8de8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50196&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50196

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:34:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Swapping Parts.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 00:34 UTC

Since I have 5 bikes at my disposal and three of them use the same size components, I pulled the saddle and post out of one of them to insert into the Trek because I would like to try this bike as a climber and see how it performs.

Well, I did the climb to the top of Lincoln and Monterey Blvd. This is only 1200 Feet but there are several places that are over 12% and after more than a month without climbing I was exhausted. So I rode down to Park Blvd, turned left and started down back to Alameda and home along the shoreline trail.

Coming down the hill I was moving along fairly well for the condition of these roads. Then suddenly I came to about 30 feet of road that appeared to have had the asphalt torn off and repaired by dumping more asphalt on top of it and tamping it down by jumping up and down on it instead of using a roller or as any plumber does - use a pneumatic tamper to flatten the road surface. I hit this at about 20 mph and the shock crossing that section rotated the drop bars down and rotated the saddle backwards with the nose up. I continued down to a sides street where I could get out of the traffic. And opened up the seat pack to get out the multitool and discovered that I had picked up the wrong seatpack. It had everything in it but a multitool. This is one of the troubles with having a large collection of bikes. It is difficult to find decent multitools and so I was one pack short. I spend the rest of the descent through city streets and heavy traffic trying to avoid any more potholes. But this entire section of road is like Paris-Roubaix.

By time I got home, I was completely exhausted with 30 miles and 1155 feet of climbing. I can see that it is going to be a long spring recovering my climbing legs.

And yes Frank you jackass - the bar is aluminum with a 32 mm center and the stem is always torqued to the value on the stem. 6 n-m. The seatpost and saddle was on my Douglas titanium bike that I had been riding lots of climbs on and rode gravel for a half dozen rides before getting a gravel specific bike. And the saddle never rotated before. But I'm sure that the world's greatest mechanical engineer can find some fault. After all, You had A student that said that you taught them how to learn.

In any case, one of my flat kits that I no longer use had a spar multitool in it. It doesn't have a chain breaker, but since I started waxing the chains they haven't shown any wear. Using that used thrift store Hot Pot really improved the wax jobs. It turns that wax into total liquid and a single stir puts the Teflon into suspension and into the links. Cleaning the chain ultrasonically and then waxing them and the chains are dead quiet for a month or more of riding. Three months on a Connex chain.

When I bought the Garmin, it was supposed to be an 820 and I never gave it a thought. But today looking at the Garmin readout program it tells me that it is an 810. Perhaps that's the reason I was having problems setting it up using the 820 manual. In the 820 manual it says that it will give you max and average rate of climb and I was trying to find that readout when I spotted that. Since all of the Garmin's are used and cost me nearly nothing, it isn't any big deal.

Re: Swapping Parts.

<ssktnk$a0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50201&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50201

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Swapping Parts.
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 20:00:34 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:00 UTC

On 1/23/2022 7:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I hit this at about 20 mph and the shock crossing that section rotated the drop bars down and rotated the saddle backwards with the nose up. I continued down to a sides street where I could get out of the traffic. And opened up the seat pack to get out the multitool and discovered that I had picked up the wrong seatpack. It had everything in it but a multitool....
>
> ... the bar is aluminum with a 32 mm center and the stem is always torqued to the value on the stem. 6 n-m...
>
> When I bought the Garmin, it was supposed to be an 820 and I never gave it a thought. But today looking at the Garmin readout program it tells me that it is an 810. Perhaps that's the reason I was having problems setting it up using the 820 manual. ...

My, you certainly do have lots of problems! My sympathies.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Swapping Parts.

<2ce23290-61bd-4a63-ae0d-69427f749818n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50203&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50203

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:06:00 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:06 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:00:39 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 1/23/2022 7:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I hit this at about 20 mph and the shock crossing that section rotated the drop bars down and rotated the saddle backwards with the nose up. I continued down to a sides street where I could get out of the traffic. And opened up the seat pack to get out the multitool and discovered that I had picked up the wrong seatpack. It had everything in it but a multitool....
> >
> > ... the bar is aluminum with a 32 mm center and the stem is always torqued to the value on the stem. 6 n-m...
> >
> > When I bought the Garmin, it was supposed to be an 820 and I never gave it a thought. But today looking at the Garmin readout program it tells me that it is an 810. Perhaps that's the reason I was having problems setting it up using the 820 manual. ...
>
> My, you certainly do have lots of problems! My sympathies.
in the last 5 years I've ridden

In the last 5 years I have ridden 32,000+ miles and over a million and a half feet of climbing. Why don't you tell us what you've done? After all, you never have any problems. Is that because you're such a superior technician, have so much better equipment or because you simply never ride?

Re: Swapping Parts.

<tn1sug59ghfej4sj4t2gdjvb2m4l06b3en@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50213&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50213

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:08:31 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 02:08 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:06:00 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 5:00:39 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 1/23/2022 7:34 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> > I hit this at about 20 mph and the shock crossing that section rotated the drop bars down and rotated the saddle backwards with the nose up. I continued down to a sides street where I could get out of the traffic. And opened up the seat pack to get out the multitool and discovered that I had picked up the wrong seatpack. It had everything in it but a multitool....
>> >
>> > ... the bar is aluminum with a 32 mm center and the stem is always torqued to the value on the stem. 6 n-m...
>> >
>> > When I bought the Garmin, it was supposed to be an 820 and I never gave it a thought. But today looking at the Garmin readout program it tells me that it is an 810. Perhaps that's the reason I was having problems setting it up using the 820 manual. ...
>>
>> My, you certainly do have lots of problems! My sympathies.
>in the last 5 years I've ridden
>
>In the last 5 years I have ridden 32,000+ miles and over a million and a half feet of climbing. Why don't you tell us what you've done? After all, you never have any problems. Is that because you're such a superior technician, have so much better equipment or because you simply never ride?

So, 32,000/5 = 6,400
Oh Wonderful!!! But a real cyclist, like Eddy Merckx, for example,
rode 989 km (615 miles) in the week before the TdeF... that would be
something like, lets see now... 989 km X 52 weeks = 51,428 km times 5
years = 257,140 km, or 159,140 miles...

That's not twice as far or 3 times as far that is 5 times further. Or,
one might say, "The difference between Tommy and a real bike rider is
that the real cyclist is 500% better.

Makes you look like a fool (again).
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Swapping Parts.

<ssl2oc$1mol$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50214&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50214

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 02:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 02:26 UTC

John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:06:00 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My, you certainly do have lots of problems! My sympathies.
>> in the last 5 years I've ridden
>>
>> In the last 5 years I have ridden 32,000+ miles and over a million and a
>> half feet of climbing. Why don't you tell us what you've done? After
>> all, you never have any problems. Is that because you're such a superior
>> technician, have so much better equipment or because you simply never ride?
>

> So, 32,000/5 = 6,400
> Oh Wonderful!!! But a real cyclist, like Eddy Merckx, for example,
> rode 989 km (615 miles) in the week before the TdeF... that would be
> something like, lets see now... 989 km X 52 weeks = 51,428 km times 5
> years = 257,140 km, or 159,140 miles...
>
> That's not twice as far or 3 times as far that is 5 times further. Or,
> one might say, "The difference between Tommy and a real bike rider is
> that the real cyclist is 500% better.
>
> Makes you look like a fool (again).

A million and a half feet of climbing sounds awfully impressive, but if you
averaged it all out, you would get 1,500,000 / (16,000 * 5280) = 1.8%
grade, which you could do on a rail trail. I guess it all depends on how
varied your terrain is.

Note that horizontal distance is 16,000 and not 32,000 because I’m assuming
closed loop rides, so whatever you climb, you also need to go down
eventually. Yeah, there’s another assumption in there too about uphill and
downhill slopes.

Re: Swapping Parts.

<d0665fa2-218e-43b0-9ff1-01fbc72eb10fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50253&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50253

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:45:54 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 18:45 UTC

On Sunday, January 23, 2022 at 6:26:24 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
> John B. <sloc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 17:06:00 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> > <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> in the last 5 years I've ridden
> >>
> >> In the last 5 years I have ridden 32,000+ miles and over a million and a
> >> half feet of climbing. Why don't you tell us what you've done? After
> >> all, you never have any problems. Is that because you're such a superior
> >> technician, have so much better equipment or because you simply never ride?
> >

> > So, 32,000/5 = 6,400
> > Oh Wonderful!!! But a real cyclist, like Eddy Merckx, for example,
> > rode 989 km (615 miles) in the week before the TdeF... that would be
> > something like, lets see now... 989 km X 52 weeks = 51,428 km times 5
> > years = 257,140 km, or 159,140 miles...
> >
> > That's not twice as far or 3 times as far that is 5 times further. Or,
> > one might say, "The difference between Tommy and a real bike rider is
> > that the real cyclist is 500% better.
> >
> > Makes you look like a fool (again).
> A million and a half feet of climbing sounds awfully impressive, but if you
> averaged it all out, you would get 1,500,000 / (16,000 * 5280) = 1.8%
> grade, which you could do on a rail trail. I guess it all depends on how
> varied your terrain is.
>
> Note that horizontal distance is 16,000 and not 32,000 because I’m assuming
> closed loop rides, so whatever you climb, you also need to go down
> eventually. Yeah, there’s another assumption in there too about uphill and
> downhill slopes.

250,000 feet of climbing was normal per year and it was not recorded on a Garmin but on a Levon altimeter bike computer. I put in at least 5,000 feet of climbing each week and I only counted real climbing, not anything that wasn't mostly over 6%. When my cop friend moved back to Phoenix, my mileage fell from 8,000 miles or more per year to 7,000. With the lockdowns it went down to 5,000. That is a hell of a lot of riding. But before my concussion I did 3 years of 10,000 miles and I can't remember what the climbing was but it is hard to go anywhere around here without climbing.

There is a nice what I consider to be easy ride route around here that goes, were you to take it all the way - up the backside of Mt. Hamilton. But I only go half way (to the Half Way Cafe of course) and then the return. It has 2,000 feet of climbing but I only do it while I'm in shape and it feels like 30 miles though its 50 or a little more. I think that I might set up an overnighter this summer that goes all the way on this road to Patterson and back the next day. While the absolute distance is only 55 miles a great deal of it is climbing so that stretches the riding time way out.

I didn't do the Capitola overnighter this year because the cost of the motels in that area are so out of hand. But you can get the same sort of accommodations in Patterson for half the price - -$80

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Swapping Parts.