"Seed me, Seymour" -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Tuesday Ride

SubjectAuthor
* Tuesday RideTom Kunich
`* Re: Tuesday RideAMuzi
 `- Re: Tuesday RideTom Kunich

1
Tuesday Ride

<ceb1d79c-10dc-4f2a-9590-e87412eb883cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50432&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50432

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 09:37:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Tuesday Ride
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:37 UTC

This morning it was in the low 40's on the water and in the mid-30's inland.. This is the man-made global warming that Flunky and his sort think exists.. (speaking of which, they accidently had a program about the seawall in San Francisco which was built over 100 years ago and the sea level is the same as it was then. Funny thing about those "zero" tide markers never having moved)

In any case I went out around noon and spent the next two hours riding about as fast as I was able to. The average speed was a little faster than normal at 12.2 mph and the average cadence was 66 rpm. There was a high cadence of 142 rpm which I suppose was early in the ride but it certainly doesn't show on the graph. Of course this could have been me back pedaling but I usually backpedal with my left foot detector side ahead.

The video's from Peak Torque are finally starting to complain about tiny cogs and multiple gears FAR beyond what any normal rider can use. I was perfectly happy with 8 speeds and was willing to accept 9 to get a climbing gear on the bottom of a normal riding range. Then 10's came along and again you could excuse that as an intermediate gear to the climbing gear. But then 11;s 12;s and 13's came along and that is so lame it plainly is only to get morons to buy new groups.

13's to avoid front derailleurs? Why when you have to have a front chain guide in that case? Eliminating the left shifter is saving some sort of weight? Total weight savings of the extra ring and cables and shifter couldn't be any more than 100 grams. Seem like the sort of thing that Flunky could brag about if he could possibly afford any of these things. But being penniless, he can't.

I'm sure that he can get a good used bike if he actually rode but he prefers to talk about riding crits rather than actually doing them.

The ONLY reason that I bought an 11 speed was to get the very improved rear derailleur on the Campy. I would prefer this on a 9 speed. On the gravel bike that has Dura Ace 9 speeds I cannot tell the difference between it and the new Campy 11 speed gear spacing. That's because you shift through those do nothing gears whereas in the 9 speed there's gears in the correct spot.

Those of you who actually ride, what do you think of all of these gears?

Re: Tuesday Ride

<sss2j9$ag9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50436&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50436

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Tuesday Ride
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:50:00 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

On 1/26/2022 11:37 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> This morning it was in the low 40's on the water and in the mid-30's inland. This is the man-made global warming that Flunky and his sort think exists. (speaking of which, they accidently had a program about the seawall in San Francisco which was built over 100 years ago and the sea level is the same as it was then. Funny thing about those "zero" tide markers never having moved)
>
> In any case I went out around noon and spent the next two hours riding about as fast as I was able to. The average speed was a little faster than normal at 12.2 mph and the average cadence was 66 rpm. There was a high cadence of 142 rpm which I suppose was early in the ride but it certainly doesn't show on the graph. Of course this could have been me back pedaling but I usually backpedal with my left foot detector side ahead.
>
> The video's from Peak Torque are finally starting to complain about tiny cogs and multiple gears FAR beyond what any normal rider can use. I was perfectly happy with 8 speeds and was willing to accept 9 to get a climbing gear on the bottom of a normal riding range. Then 10's came along and again you could excuse that as an intermediate gear to the climbing gear. But then 11;s 12;s and 13's came along and that is so lame it plainly is only to get morons to buy new groups.
>
> 13's to avoid front derailleurs? Why when you have to have a front chain guide in that case? Eliminating the left shifter is saving some sort of weight? Total weight savings of the extra ring and cables and shifter couldn't be any more than 100 grams. Seem like the sort of thing that Flunky could brag about if he could possibly afford any of these things. But being penniless, he can't.
>
> I'm sure that he can get a good used bike if he actually rode but he prefers to talk about riding crits rather than actually doing them.
>
> The ONLY reason that I bought an 11 speed was to get the very improved rear derailleur on the Campy. I would prefer this on a 9 speed. On the gravel bike that has Dura Ace 9 speeds I cannot tell the difference between it and the new Campy 11 speed gear spacing. That's because you shift through those do nothing gears whereas in the 9 speed there's gears in the correct spot.
>
> Those of you who actually ride, what do you think of all of these gears?

Minus 18F at dawn here today.

Bike wouldn't start - pilot problem of some sort.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Tuesday Ride

<0fb39e71-c9a5-4baa-8e54-5fcc3b74b474n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50440&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50440

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:29:33 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:29 UTC

On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 10:06:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/26/2022 11:37 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > This morning it was in the low 40's on the water and in the mid-30's inland. This is the man-made global warming that Flunky and his sort think exists. (speaking of which, they accidently had a program about the seawall in San Francisco which was built over 100 years ago and the sea level is the same as it was then. Funny thing about those "zero" tide markers never having moved)
> >
> > In any case I went out around noon and spent the next two hours riding about as fast as I was able to. The average speed was a little faster than normal at 12.2 mph and the average cadence was 66 rpm. There was a high cadence of 142 rpm which I suppose was early in the ride but it certainly doesn't show on the graph. Of course this could have been me back pedaling but I usually backpedal with my left foot detector side ahead.
> >
> > The video's from Peak Torque are finally starting to complain about tiny cogs and multiple gears FAR beyond what any normal rider can use. I was perfectly happy with 8 speeds and was willing to accept 9 to get a climbing gear on the bottom of a normal riding range. Then 10's came along and again you could excuse that as an intermediate gear to the climbing gear. But then 11;s 12;s and 13's came along and that is so lame it plainly is only to get morons to buy new groups.
> >
> > 13's to avoid front derailleurs? Why when you have to have a front chain guide in that case? Eliminating the left shifter is saving some sort of weight? Total weight savings of the extra ring and cables and shifter couldn't be any more than 100 grams. Seem like the sort of thing that Flunky could brag about if he could possibly afford any of these things. But being penniless, he can't.
> >
> > I'm sure that he can get a good used bike if he actually rode but he prefers to talk about riding crits rather than actually doing them.
> >
> > The ONLY reason that I bought an 11 speed was to get the very improved rear derailleur on the Campy. I would prefer this on a 9 speed. On the gravel bike that has Dura Ace 9 speeds I cannot tell the difference between it and the new Campy 11 speed gear spacing. That's because you shift through those do nothing gears whereas in the 9 speed there's gears in the correct spot.
> >
> > Those of you who actually ride, what do you think of all of these gears?
> >
> Minus 18F at dawn here today.
>
> Bike wouldn't start - pilot problem of some sort.

+34

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Tuesday Ride