From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Samsung Galaxy A8 10" Tablet, Background Adjustment
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:34:26 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:34 UTC

Hi,

My Wife has a Samsung Galaxy A8 10" tablet.

The home screen background is light. Reading the
white letter text for various icons could be improved
it there is a way to make the background darker
such as dark gray or blue.

I went into Settings, Display and Wallpaper, but
I could not find a method to set a darker background.

If you know how, please respond.

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Samsung Galaxy A8 10" Tablet, Background Adjustment

<usnnl2.peo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50547&group=comp.mobile.android#50547

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 11 Mar 2024 18:56:30 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:56 UTC

jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Wife has a Samsung Galaxy A8 10" tablet.
>
> The home screen background is light. Reading the
> white letter text for various icons could be improved
> it there is a way to make the background darker
> such as dark gray or blue.
>
> I went into Settings, Display and Wallpaper, but
> I could not find a method to set a darker background.
>
> If you know how, please respond.
>
> Thank You in advance, John

I don't have a Samsung tablet, but have a Samsung phone (A51, Android
13):

Settings -> Wallpaper and style -> Change wallpapers

This shows all kinds of wallpapers. On my phone, the group of
'Featured' wallpapers sows a darkish green wallpaper. A wallpaper can be
applied to the Lock screen or/and the Home screen.

HTH.

Re: Samsung Galaxy A8 10" Tablet, Background Adjustment

<usnnv9$3q50f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50550&group=comp.mobile.android#50550

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:01:50 -0700
 by: AJL - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:01 UTC

On 3/11/2024 11:56 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My Wife has a Samsung Galaxy A8 10" tablet.
>>
>> The home screen background is light. Reading the
>> white letter text for various icons could be improved
>> it there is a way to make the background darker
>> such as dark gray or blue.
>>
>> I went into Settings, Display and Wallpaper, but
>> I could not find a method to set a darker background.
>>
>> If you know how, please respond.
>>
>> Thank You in advance, John
>
> I don't have a Samsung tablet, but have a Samsung phone (A51, Android
> 13):
>
> Settings -> Wallpaper and style -> Change wallpapers
>
> This shows all kinds of wallpapers. On my phone, the group of
> 'Featured' wallpapers sows a darkish green wallpaper. A wallpaper can be
> applied to the Lock screen or/and the Home screen.

Same settings on my Samsung Tab S9FE 10.9" tablet...

Re: Samsung Galaxy A8 10" Tablet, Background Adjustment

<usnrgr$2lft$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50552&group=comp.mobile.android#50552

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:02:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rM/B1onGxky5YQadDHwDx29ATtE= sha256:weudAuOcJ2Awy8KYPUOwUjNXctdu6nOciXbWnH+zuio=
 by: Andrew - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:02 UTC

AJL wrote on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:01:50 -0700 :

>>> My Wife has a Samsung Galaxy A8 10" tablet.
>>>
>>> The home screen background is light. Reading the
>>> white letter text for various icons could be improved
>>> it there is a way to make the background darker
>>> such as dark gray or blue.
>>>
>>> I went into Settings, Display and Wallpaper, but
>>> I could not find a method to set a darker background.
>>>
>>> If you know how, please respond.
>>>
>>> Thank You in advance, John
>>
>> I don't have a Samsung tablet, but have a Samsung phone (A51, Android
>> 13):
>>
>> Settings -> Wallpaper and style -> Change wallpapers
>>
>> This shows all kinds of wallpapers. On my phone, the group of
>> 'Featured' wallpapers sows a darkish green wallpaper. A wallpaper can be
>> applied to the Lock screen or/and the Home screen.
>
> Same settings on my Samsung Tab S9FE 10.9" tablet...

+1

I also have a Samsung although I use the Nova launcher, so when I want to
change the background, I long press on the background and it gives 3
choices (desktop, lock screen & something else that I forget what it was)
plus it has wallpaper scrolling & locking of the screen (which you have to
unlock to change the wallpaper), and wallpaper transition effects, etc.

Looking at the menus, it also has "Settings > Wallpapers & style" and then
"Change wallpapers" as described above, which I didn't actually even know
about until now.

Since, for anti-fingerprinting purposes, you don't want a unique wallpaper,
you're probably best with the original wallpaper that came with the phone,
but for me, it's too busy so I use a flat dark black color which I used to
take a photo with the phone on a table (as black as I could get it).

But now I see in the "Wallpapers & style" setting that I could set the
color, although it's confusing because they want an entire palette.

When I selected "Basic colors", the one color that is most functional isn't
there, which is "Black" (which I presume has the most contrast and more
importantly, I presume black uses the least amount of battery juice").

Does it?

Re: Samsung Galaxy A8 10" Tablet, Background Adjustment

<usnsth$3r733$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50553&group=comp.mobile.android#50553

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:26:09 +0000
 by: Peter - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:26 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:02:20 -0000 (UTC), Andrew wrote:> AJL wrote on Mon,
11 Mar 2024 13:01:50 -0700 :

>>> I don't have a Samsung tablet, but have a Samsung phone (A51, Android
>>> 13):
>>>
>>> Settings -> Wallpaper and style -> Change wallpapers
>>>
>>> This shows all kinds of wallpapers. On my phone, the group of
>>> 'Featured' wallpapers sows a darkish green wallpaper. A wallpaper can be
>>> applied to the Lock screen or/and the Home screen.
>>
>> Same settings on my Samsung Tab S9FE 10.9" tablet...
>
> +1
>
> I also have a Samsung although I use the Nova launcher, so when I want to
> change the background, I long press on the background and it gives 3
> choices (desktop, lock screen & something else that I forget what it was)
> plus it has wallpaper scrolling & locking of the screen (which you have to
> unlock to change the wallpaper), and wallpaper transition effects, etc.
>
> Looking at the menus, it also has "Settings > Wallpapers & style" and then
> "Change wallpapers" as described above, which I didn't actually even know
> about until now.
>
> Since, for anti-fingerprinting purposes, you don't want a unique wallpaper,
> you're probably best with the original wallpaper that came with the phone,
> but for me, it's too busy so I use a flat dark black color which I used to
> take a photo with the phone on a table (as black as I could get it).
>
> But now I see in the "Wallpapers & style" setting that I could set the
> color, although it's confusing because they want an entire palette.
>
> When I selected "Basic colors", the one color that is most functional isn't
> there, which is "Black" (which I presume has the most contrast and more
> importantly, I presume black uses the least amount of battery juice").
>
> Does it?

I do not know which color uses less energy and it probably depends on the
type of screen anyway so it might be phone specific.

But the easiest way to set the background if you have the Nova launcher, is
listed in this article which explains how to set the background to any
color, including white or black, which is better than the black picture you
took for anti-fingerprinting purposes as it's only a 1px by 1px image for
them to fingerprint to identify your screen against all others.
<https://forums.androidcentral.com/threads/make-background-wallpaper-solid-black-like-the-launcher-screen.1045703/>

Nova settings | App drawer | Background color | Advanced | Settings
White=#ffffff Hue=0% Saturation=0% Brightness=100%
Black=#000000 Hue=0% Saturation=0% Brightness=0%

You can also set the "Background transparency" to anything between 0% and
100% but when I just tried it with black & white, the transparency didn't
seem to do anything. So I'm not sure what transparency even means.