A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used. -- D. Gries

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

SubjectAuthor
* "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.sms
+- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Tom Kunich
+- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.John B.
`* Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Sir Ridesalot
 +- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.John B.
 +* Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Ralph Barone
 |`* Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.sms
 | `- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Tom Kunich
 +* Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.AMuzi
 |+- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Tom Kunich
 |`- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.John B.
 +- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Tom Kunich
 `- Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.Frank Krygowski

1
"Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<st9juf$suf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50671&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50671

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 13:22:21 -0800
 by: sms - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 21:22 UTC

"Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.

Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.

When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
have to buy an electric bicycle.

If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
restaurants.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<5570954e-df0a-42a0-86e6-05d0eadf5b5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50672&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50672

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 13:25:26 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 21:25 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 1:22:26 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>
> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>
> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>
> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
> restaurants.

What's the matter Scharf - you don't like people acting just like you?

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<f7pgvgdgumnfifen2dq0sv52g8pam9idrb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50682&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50682

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 05:40:48 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:40 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 13:22:21 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>"Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>
>Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
>me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
>an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
>that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>
>When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
>would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
>have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
>me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
>have to buy an electric bicycle.
>
>If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
>then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
>restaurants.

Did you ask them why only motorized vehicles?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<a66241a5-0834-40ad-8cc4-6cdae3a15723n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50699&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50699

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 19:18:15 -0800 (PST)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 03:18 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>
> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>
> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>
> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
> restaurants.

I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.

Cheers

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<vdchvg9e9aeiqc5p14nh4nc18ei10lnlpa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50700&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50700

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 11:10:16 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:10 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 19:18:15 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
<i_am_cycle_pathic@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
>> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>>
>> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
>> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
>> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
>> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>>
>> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
>> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
>> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
>> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
>> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>>
>> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
>> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
>> restaurants.
>
>I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.
>
>Cheers

While I certainly not disparaging you it seems strange, the insurance
and all. Maybe because the cyclist can't handle the Hamburger, fries
and a coke without falling off his bicycle?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<staehk$vnh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50703&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50703

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:56:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:56 UTC

Sir Ridesalot <i_am_cycle_pathic@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
>> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>>
>> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
>> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
>> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
>> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>>
>> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
>> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
>> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
>> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
>> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>>
>> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
>> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
>> restaurants.
>
> I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist
> on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.
>
> Cheers

Back in the 80s, I was also refused service at a drive through in British
Columbia while on a bicycle.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<stauu8$l3q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50708&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50708

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 01:36:07 -0800
 by: sms - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 09:36 UTC

On 1/31/2022 8:56 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:

<snip>

> Back in the 80s, I was also refused service at a drive through in British
> Columbia while on a bicycle.

When I first moved to California I was refused service at a
drive-through at a bank, on a bicycle. This was in 1980, pre-ATM. Back
then "insurance reasons" was the all-purpose-excuse of the 80's. Now I
think it's because so many fast-food restaurants are open longer hours
only at the drive-through and they don't want people not in cars hanging
around.

I presume that motorcycles and motorized bicycles qualify as "motorized
vehicles."

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<stbcn8$iko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50714&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50714

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 07:30:27 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 13:30 UTC

On 1/31/2022 9:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
>> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>>
>> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
>> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
>> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
>> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>>
>> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
>> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
>> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
>> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
>> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>>
>> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
>> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
>> restaurants.
>
> I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.
>
> Cheers

I'm sure they say that, as do auto repair shops. The only
time I encountered it was 50 years ago when I rode my new
race bike into a bank driveup one Friday afternoon to
deposit my paycheck. Being refused, I went in and closed my
account. Problem solved.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<6e865dca-b9fe-46f3-ac65-b3d10228af71n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50723&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50723

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 07:55:34 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:55 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 7:18:17 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
> > "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
> >
> > Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
> > me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
> > an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
> > that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
> >
> > When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
> > would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
> > have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
> > me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
> > have to buy an electric bicycle.
> >
> > If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
> > then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
> > restaurants.
> I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.

Now we have an expert on liability insurance. Nice to know your width and breadth of knowledge.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<2e60a1ea-6608-46fc-86e2-b1c9f60a17b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50724&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50724

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 07:57:49 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:57 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 1:36:11 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
> On 1/31/2022 8:56 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Back in the 80s, I was also refused service at a drive through in British
> > Columbia while on a bicycle.
> When I first moved to California I was refused service at a
> drive-through at a bank, on a bicycle. This was in 1980, pre-ATM. Back
> then "insurance reasons" was the all-purpose-excuse of the 80's. Now I
> think it's because so many fast-food restaurants are open longer hours
> only at the drive-through and they don't want people not in cars hanging
> around.
>
> I presume that motorcycles and motorized bicycles qualify as "motorized
> vehicles."
Since liability insurance does NOT specify vehicle types your claim to have been refused service at a drive through lane in a bank if your usual bullshit.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<e9b0b527-cb4d-46cf-bef3-0d998896e3e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50725&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50725

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 08:00:11 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 16:00 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 5:31:22 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/31/2022 9:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
> >> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
> >>
> >> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
> >> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
> >> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
> >> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
> >>
> >> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
> >> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
> >> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
> >> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
> >> have to buy an electric bicycle.
> >>
> >> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
> >> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
> >> restaurants.
> >
> > I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> I'm sure they say that, as do auto repair shops. The only
> time I encountered it was 50 years ago when I rode my new
> race bike into a bank driveup one Friday afternoon to
> deposit my paycheck. Being refused, I went in and closed my
> account. Problem solved.

I WALKED THROUGH drive-through lanes. In banks I took my bike in and laid it against the counter - I was never questioned about that or riding through drive-throughs.

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<stbr56$m6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50734&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50734

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 12:37:41 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:37 UTC

On 1/31/2022 10:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
>> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>>
>> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
>> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
>> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
>> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>>
>> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
>> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
>> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
>> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
>> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>>
>> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
>> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
>> restaurants.
>
> I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.

While I don't do it a lot, I've never had a problem. I've done it at
Arby's, at several drive throough ATMs, at our credit union, etc.

The clerk manning the drive through window of our credit union is always
happy to chat with my wife and me when we arrive on the tandem.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.

<c4djvg9eke9dflplqs9krsmfrhmfe9goru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=50755&group=rec.bicycles.tech#50755

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 05:33:02 +0700
 by: John B. - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 22:33 UTC

On Tue, 01 Feb 2022 07:30:27 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 1/31/2022 9:18 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
>> On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 4:22:26 p.m. UTC-5, sms wrote:
>>> "Motorized Vehicles Only" in drive through lanes.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I went on a short 20 mile ride. I didn't bring any food with
>>> me and was getting hungry so I stopped in Mountain View and ordered from
>>> an app from a French restaurant I was close to, Jacque Dans la Boîte
>>> that has a drive through lane <https://goo.gl/maps/Q8hBmTCCU42TagsT8>.
>>>
>>> When I rode up to the pick-up window there was a sign that said they
>>> would not serve anyone if they were not in a motorized vehicle. I didn’t
>>> have a lock and did not want to leave my bicycle outside. They did give
>>> me the food in the drive through lane but next time I guess that I'll
>>> have to buy an electric bicycle.
>>>
>>> If bicycles have to obey the same rules of the road as motor vehicles
>>> then they should not be discriminated against in drive-through lanes at
>>> restaurants.
>>
>> I don't know of any place in Ontario Canada that will serve a bicyclist on a bicycle at a drive-thru. I've been told that it's because of liability/insurance.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>I'm sure they say that, as do auto repair shops. The only
>time I encountered it was 50 years ago when I rode my new
>race bike into a bank driveup one Friday afternoon to
>deposit my paycheck. Being refused, I went in and closed my
>account. Problem solved.

I wonder, if you walked up to the drive through point would they have
taken your money?
--
Cheers,

John B.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: "Motorized Vehicles Only" in Drive Through Lanes.