Dammit Jim, I'm an actor, not a doctor.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Paper mallet mfg

SubjectAuthor
* Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
+* Re: Paper mallet mfgBob La Londe
|+* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
||`* Re: Paper mallet mfgJim Wilkins
|| `* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
||  +* Re: Paper mallet mfgClifford Heath
||  |`- Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
||  `- Re: Paper mallet mfgJim Wilkins
|`* Re: Paper mallet mfgJim Wilkins
| `* Re: Paper mallet mfgBob La Londe
|  `- Re: Paper mallet mfgJim Wilkins
`* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
 `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
  `* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
   `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
    `* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
     `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
      `* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
       `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
        `* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
         `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
          +- Re: Paper mallet mfgJim Wilkins
          `* Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
           `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
            +- Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington
            `* Re: Paper mallet mfgLeon Fisk
             `- Re: Paper mallet mfgDavid Billington

Pages:12
Paper mallet mfg

<shthhg$ts4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5077&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5077

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Paper mallet mfg
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:28:47 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:28 UTC

I was wondering if anyone here might remember a company that made paper
mallets in the US. They're like a rawhide mallet but rolled with paper
and are used on soft metals where other materials could mark the metal.
My metalsmithing instructor said in the late 1970s that the last company
making them in the US closed as a result of an OSHA inspection and as
OSHA only came into being in 1971 that likely brings the company's
existence into the early to mid 1970s. He did speak as though it was a
recent event and knew the details. Apparently the owners of the company
felt the investment required to bring things up to the required safety
standards wasn't worth it for such a niche product and so closed it
down. As it's less than 50 years since the closure maybe someone has a
memory, I haven't found anything on the internet yet.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shtih3$qh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5078&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5078

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Paper mallet mfg
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:45:38 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:45 UTC

On 9/15/2021 12:28 PM, David Billington wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone here might remember a company that made paper
> mallets in the US. They're like a rawhide mallet but rolled with paper
> and are used on soft metals where other materials could mark the metal.
> My metalsmithing instructor said in the late 1970s that the last company
> making them in the US closed as a result of an OSHA inspection and as
> OSHA only came into being in 1971 that likely brings the company's
> existence into the early to mid 1970s. He did speak as though it was a
> recent event and knew the details. Apparently the owners of the company
> felt the investment required to bring things up to the required safety
> standards wasn't worth it for such a niche product and so closed it
> down. As it's less than 50 years since the closure maybe someone has a
> memory, I haven't found anything on the internet yet.

Sorry, I do not know anything about that, but paper well compacted or
wrapped and bonded in the form of something like the head of a mallet
could be quite hard. If you are only looking for information about the
company I can not help you at all.

However some years back I had some dented muffler tips on high
performance mufflers for a Harley. The tips were slip on, and the
dented or curled in edge could be easily struck with a hammer.
Obviously a hammer could roughly restore the shape, but would cause
smaller other dents. My answer was to use a cast lead mallet. Due to
its weight it easily transferred a high amount of energy to the struck
sheet metal of the muffler tips, but becuase of its maleability it
deformed to the metal and cause the metals to stretch into shape rather
them deform from point impacts. It worked amazingly well, and did not
mar the work piece at all. After just a short time working on it they
looked like they were factory fresh out of the box. I may have posted
about it on this group back in the late 1990s.

A cast lead head mallet can be made easily enough, and it can be melted
down and re-poured many times as needed. OSHA would probably throw a
screaming hissy tantrum and bang their feet and fists on the floor over
its making and its use in a work place, but in your home shop nobody
needs to know about it except you.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shto53$cgp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5081&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5081

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:21:39 +0100
 by: David Billington - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:21 UTC

On 15/09/2021 20:45, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 9/15/2021 12:28 PM, David Billington wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone here might remember a company that made
>> paper mallets in the US. They're like a rawhide mallet but rolled
>> with paper and are used on soft metals where other materials could
>> mark the metal. My metalsmithing instructor said in the late 1970s
>> that the last company making them in the US closed as a result of an
>> OSHA inspection and as OSHA only came into being in 1971 that likely
>> brings the company's existence into the early to mid 1970s. He did
>> speak as though it was a recent event and knew the details.
>> Apparently the owners of the company felt the investment required to
>> bring things up to the required safety standards wasn't worth it for
>> such a niche product and so closed it down. As it's less than 50
>> years since the closure maybe someone has a memory, I haven't found
>> anything on the internet yet.
>>

> Sorry, I do not know anything about that, but paper well compacted or
> wrapped and bonded in the form of something like the head of a mallet
> could be quite hard.  If you are only looking for information about
> the company I can not help you at all.
>
> However some years back I had some dented muffler tips on high
> performance mufflers for a Harley.  The tips were slip on, and the
> dented or curled in edge could be easily struck with a hammer.
> Obviously a hammer could roughly restore the shape, but would cause
> smaller other dents.  My answer was to use a cast lead mallet.  Due to
> its weight it easily transferred a high amount of energy to the struck
> sheet metal of the muffler tips, but becuase of its maleability it
> deformed to the metal and cause the metals to stretch into shape
> rather them deform from point impacts.  It worked amazingly well, and
> did not mar the work piece at all. After just a short time working on
> it they looked like they were factory fresh out of the box.  I may
> have posted about it on this group back in the late 1990s.
>
> A cast lead head mallet can be made easily enough, and it can be
> melted down and re-poured many times as needed.  OSHA would probably
> throw a screaming hissy tantrum and bang their feet and fists on the
> floor over its making and its use in a work place, but in your home
> shop nobody needs to know about it except you.

I've used paper mallets and they're the best tool for the job on a soft
metal like pewter (Britannia metal), lead would likely be too damaging
to the surface. The mallets I used had already been in use for some
years and were broken in, apparently when new the paper mallets do need
to be used for a bit to break in the faces of the mallet.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shtobd$el2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5082&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5082

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 17:24:42 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:24 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:shtih3$qh$1@gioia.aioe.org...
A cast lead head mallet can be made easily enough, and it can be melted
down and re-poured many times as needed. OSHA would probably throw a
screaming hissy tantrum and bang their feet and fists on the floor over
its making and its use in a work place, but in your home shop nobody
needs to know about it except you.
---------------------
https://www.cookhammer.com/make.html

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shtqbq$1fln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5083&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5083

From: non...@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:59:22 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:59 UTC

On 9/15/2021 2:24 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:shtih3$qh$1@gioia.aioe.org... ...
> A cast lead head mallet can be made easily enough, and it can be melted
> down and re-poured many times as needed.  OSHA would probably throw a
> screaming hissy tantrum and bang their feet and fists on the floor over
> its making and its use in a work place, but in your home shop nobody
> needs to know about it except you.
> ---------------------
> https://www.cookhammer.com/make.html

Good link. I knew there were some commercially made lead hammer molds.
I just make my own out of whatever scraps are handy.

Back to the OPT (original posters topic), you could probably use a face
mount clamping head to make a paper face mallet.

https://www.mcmaster.com/mallets/face-mount-type~clamping-head/

Might take you all day to roll up enough paper to make the face, but its
possible. I have no idea how long it would take to break it in.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shtqj7$vt0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5084&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5084

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:03:00 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:03 UTC

"David Billington" wrote in message news:shto53$cgp$1@dont-email.me...

I've used paper mallets and they're the best tool for the job on a soft
metal like pewter (Britannia metal), lead would likely be too damaging
to the surface. The mallets I used had already been in use for some
years and were broken in, apparently when new the paper mallets do need
to be used for a bit to break in the faces of the mallet.

---------------

Do you know if there's a significant difference between a paper and an end
grain wooden hammer (beetle), which is easy to make?
https://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/06/10/the-mallet-and-beetle/

I get good results on thin sheet steel with a hammer with one plastic and
one brass face. Usually the plastic face is enough to flatten the burr and
curl on a shear cut and straighten corrugated roofing that a fallen branch
crumpled, using 1-1/2" or 2" pipe on sawhorses for the anvil. The brass head
is needed only to flatten tight creases in severe damage. A rubber mallet
didn't have enough authority to shape the roofing to the pipe well enough.
The galvanizing remains intact, areas I fixed many years ago still haven't
rusted.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shtsnf$cev$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5085&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5085

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:39:24 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:39 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:shtqbq$1fln$1@gioia.aioe.org...

On 9/15/2021 2:24 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:shtih3$qh$1@gioia.aioe.org... ...
> A cast lead head mallet can be made easily enough, and it can be melted
> down and re-poured many times as needed. OSHA would probably throw a
> screaming hissy tantrum and bang their feet and fists on the floor over
> its making and its use in a work place, but in your home shop nobody needs
> to know about it except you.
> ---------------------
> https://www.cookhammer.com/make.html

Good link. I knew there were some commercially made lead hammer molds.
I just make my own out of whatever scraps are handy.

Back to the OPT (original posters topic), you could probably use a face
mount clamping head to make a paper face mallet.

https://www.mcmaster.com/mallets/face-mount-type~clamping-head/

Might take you all day to roll up enough paper to make the face, but its
possible. I have no idea how long it would take to break it in.

--------------

Perhaps you could make the clamping head from a saddle head bolt and split
piece of water pipe. The ends of the roll could be squared by chucking the
temporarily hose-clamped pipe halves in the lathe.
An adding machine paper roll is 2-3/4" wide, $1.79 at Staples.

The easy way to align the drill with the lower hole is to clamp a
sacrificial pin (dowel) in line below the chuck and register the lower hole
on it.

I just rolled a center hole <1/16" by dampening the end and "spindling" it
between my fingers.
-- jsw

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shu2ge$9tc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5086&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5086

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 01:18:21 +0100
 by: David Billington - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 00:18 UTC

On 15/09/2021 23:03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "David Billington"  wrote in message news:shto53$cgp$1@dont-email.me...
>
> I've used paper mallets and they're the best tool for the job on a soft
> metal like pewter (Britannia metal), lead would likely be too damaging
> to the surface. The mallets I used had already been in use for some
> years and were broken in, apparently when new the paper mallets do need
> to be used for a bit to break in the faces of the mallet.
>
> ---------------
>
> Do you know if there's a significant difference between a paper and an
> end grain wooden hammer (beetle), which is easy to make?
> https://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/06/10/the-mallet-and-beetle/
>
> I get good results on thin sheet steel with a hammer with one plastic
> and one brass face. Usually the plastic face is enough to flatten the
> burr and curl on a shear cut and straighten corrugated roofing that a
> fallen branch crumpled, using 1-1/2" or 2" pipe on sawhorses for the
> anvil. The brass head is needed only to flatten tight creases in
> severe damage. A rubber mallet didn't have enough authority to shape
> the roofing to the pipe well enough. The galvanizing remains intact,
> areas I fixed many years ago still haven't rusted.

I would say yes there is a significant difference, I have a couple of
wooden mallets and find they're prone to denting/bruising whatever you
want to call it whereas the paper mallets were quite resilient in
comparison. The last time I spoke to my old tutor they still had the odd
precious paper mallet but reserved for special work, having largely been
forced to use nylon or other plastic mallets but they needed to be kept
free of dings or other marks which could easily transfer to the soft
work piece.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<16a52d3276ecdb49$1$2537919$70dd7a6b@news.thecubenet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5087&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5087

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: no.s...@please.net (Clifford Heath)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:42:14 +1000
 by: Clifford Heath - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 02:42 UTC

On 16/9/21 10:18 am, David Billington wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 23:03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "David Billington"  wrote in message news:shto53$cgp$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> I've used paper mallets and they're the best tool for the job on a soft
>> metal like pewter (Britannia metal), lead would likely be too damaging
>> to the surface. The mallets I used had already been in use for some
>> years and were broken in, apparently when new the paper mallets do need
>> to be used for a bit to break in the faces of the mallet.
>>
>> ---------------
>>
>> Do you know if there's a significant difference between a paper and an
>> end grain wooden hammer (beetle), which is easy to make?
>> https://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/06/10/the-mallet-and-beetle/
>>
>> I get good results on thin sheet steel with a hammer with one plastic
>> and one brass face. Usually the plastic face is enough to flatten the
>> burr and curl on a shear cut and straighten corrugated roofing that a
>> fallen branch crumpled, using 1-1/2" or 2" pipe on sawhorses for the
>> anvil. The brass head is needed only to flatten tight creases in
>> severe damage. A rubber mallet didn't have enough authority to shape
>> the roofing to the pipe well enough. The galvanizing remains intact,
>> areas I fixed many years ago still haven't rusted.
>>
> I would say yes there is a significant difference, I have a couple of
> wooden mallets and find they're prone to denting/bruising whatever you
> want to call it whereas the paper mallets were quite resilient in
> comparison. The last time I spoke to my old tutor they still had the odd
> precious paper mallet but reserved for special work, having largely been
> forced to use nylon or other plastic mallets but they needed to be kept
> free of dings or other marks which could easily transfer to the soft
> work piece.

Interesting discussion. I inherited a small peening hammer with a head
made from the black tip of the horn from some antelope or other. I'm
curious of anyone might recognise this type of hammer?

Clifford Heath

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shv6ol$c74$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5089&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5089

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 06:36:49 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:36 UTC

"David Billington" wrote in message news:shu2ge$9tc$1@dont-email.me...

On 15/09/2021 23:03, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> Do you know if there's a significant difference between a paper and an end
> grain wooden hammer (beetle), which is easy to make?

I would say yes there is a significant difference, I have a couple of
wooden mallets and find they're prone to denting/bruising whatever you
want to call it whereas the paper mallets were quite resilient in
comparison. The last time I spoke to my old tutor they still had the odd
precious paper mallet but reserved for special work, having largely been
forced to use nylon or other plastic mallets but they needed to be kept
free of dings or other marks which could easily transfer to the soft
work piece.

-------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldbeater%27s_skin

https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Conservation-Materials/Other-Materials/Goldbeaters-Skin

I use the thin cardboard from food boxes to preserve the finish of aluminum
being bent in my press brake.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<shvjrj$p8a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5090&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5090

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:20:35 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:20 UTC

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:28:47 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone here might remember a company that made paper
>mallets in the US. They're like a rawhide mallet but rolled with paper
>and are used on soft metals where other materials could mark the metal.
>My metalsmithing instructor said in the late 1970s that the last company
>making them in the US closed as a result of an OSHA inspection and as
>OSHA only came into being in 1971 that likely brings the company's
>existence into the early to mid 1970s. He did speak as though it was a
>recent event and knew the details. Apparently the owners of the company
>felt the investment required to bring things up to the required safety
>standards wasn't worth it for such a niche product and so closed it
>down. As it's less than 50 years since the closure maybe someone has a
>memory, I haven't found anything on the internet yet.

Thought you might find this patent search of interest:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US174932A/en?q=((B25D1%2f00))+(paper)&country=US&oq=((B25D1%2f00))+(paper)+country:US&sort=old

It seems the idea of using paper and/or pasteboard for the striking
surface has been around awhile...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si06p7$a4m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5092&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5092

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 15:43:35 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:43 UTC

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:20:35 -0400
Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:28:47 +0100
>David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if anyone here might remember a company that made paper
>>mallets in the US. They're like a rawhide mallet but rolled with paper
>>and are used on soft metals where other materials could mark the metal.
>>My metalsmithing instructor said in the late 1970s that the last company
>>making them in the US closed as a result of an OSHA inspection and as
>>OSHA only came into being in 1971 that likely brings the company's
>>existence into the early to mid 1970s. He did speak as though it was a
>>recent event and knew the details. Apparently the owners of the company
>>felt the investment required to bring things up to the required safety
>>standards wasn't worth it for such a niche product and so closed it
>>down. As it's less than 50 years since the closure maybe someone has a
>>memory, I haven't found anything on the internet yet.
>>

>Thought you might find this patent search of interest:
>
>https://patents.google.com/patent/US174932A/en?q=((B25D1%2f00))+(paper)&country=US&oq=((B25D1%2f00))+(paper)+country:US&sort=old
>
>It seems the idea of using paper and/or pasteboard for the striking
>surface has been around awhile...

Also found this place which still sells them and has this history note:

===
How It Began

Jewelers and metal workers used hammers with heads made of rolled
leather prior to WWI. Once the war began, leather was declared a
strategic material and its availability was cut off. As a result,
jewelers looked elsewhere for a material to use and found that paper
rolled tightly made a hammer head which did almost no injury to metal
surfaces. In the 1920's pewtersmithing became popular, and the field
increased in demand for pewter items. The paper hammers were perfect
for this application They were used until the 1960's for the pewter
hobby, and then forgotten by the 1970's. Most of the paper hammers up
until 1956 were made by two German brothers living in Queens, New York.
After that time, the hammers disappeared from the marketplace.
===

https://accidentalhammer.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-3/ct-menu-item-5

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si08vv$vih$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5093&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5093

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:21:18 +0100
 by: David Billington - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:21 UTC

On 16/09/2021 20:43, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:20:35 -0400
> Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:28:47 +0100
>> David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone here might remember a company that made paper
>>> mallets in the US. They're like a rawhide mallet but rolled with paper
>>> and are used on soft metals where other materials could mark the metal.
>>> My metalsmithing instructor said in the late 1970s that the last company
>>> making them in the US closed as a result of an OSHA inspection and as
>>> OSHA only came into being in 1971 that likely brings the company's
>>> existence into the early to mid 1970s. He did speak as though it was a
>>> recent event and knew the details. Apparently the owners of the company
>>> felt the investment required to bring things up to the required safety
>>> standards wasn't worth it for such a niche product and so closed it
>>> down. As it's less than 50 years since the closure maybe someone has a
>>> memory, I haven't found anything on the internet yet.
>>>
>> Thought you might find this patent search of interest:
>>
>> https://patents.google.com/patent/US174932A/en?q=((B25D1%2f00))+(paper)&country=US&oq=((B25D1%2f00))+(paper)+country:US&sort=old
>>
>> It seems the idea of using paper and/or pasteboard for the striking
>> surface has been around awhile...
>>
> Also found this place which still sells them and has this history note:
>
> ===
> How It Began
>
> Jewelers and metal workers used hammers with heads made of rolled
> leather prior to WWI. Once the war began, leather was declared a
> strategic material and its availability was cut off. As a result,
> jewelers looked elsewhere for a material to use and found that paper
> rolled tightly made a hammer head which did almost no injury to metal
> surfaces. In the 1920's pewtersmithing became popular, and the field
> increased in demand for pewter items. The paper hammers were perfect
> for this application They were used until the 1960's for the pewter
> hobby, and then forgotten by the 1970's. Most of the paper hammers up
> until 1956 were made by two German brothers living in Queens, New York.
> After that time, the hammers disappeared from the marketplace.
> ===
>
> https://accidentalhammer.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-3/ct-menu-item-5

I'm aware of them and am currently in contact with the couple and have
ordered one of their paper mallets. The history they state though is
incomplete as they were not aware of the company I'm enquiring about and
paper mallets were far from forgotten by the 1970s as I was using them
in my metalsmithing class in the late 1970s and they still had some as
late as about 2000 when I last spoke with the tutor.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si0ad7$a4m$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5094&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5094

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:45:27 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:45 UTC

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:21:18 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I'm aware of them and am currently in contact with the couple and have
>ordered one of their paper mallets. The history they state though is
>incomplete as they were not aware of the company I'm enquiring about and
>paper mallets were far from forgotten by the 1970s as I was using them
>in my metalsmithing class in the late 1970s and they still had some as
>late as about 2000 when I last spoke with the tutor.

First patent I found with mention of paper was from 1865. so the WWI
reference is a bit off too ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si0cai$lva$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5095&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5095

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:18:09 +0100
 by: David Billington - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:18 UTC

On 16/09/2021 21:45, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:21:18 +0100
> David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I'm aware of them and am currently in contact with the couple and have
>> ordered one of their paper mallets. The history they state though is
>> incomplete as they were not aware of the company I'm enquiring about and
>> paper mallets were far from forgotten by the 1970s as I was using them
>> in my metalsmithing class in the late 1970s and they still had some as
>> late as about 2000 when I last spoke with the tutor.
> First patent I found with mention of paper was from 1865. so the WWI
> reference is a bit off too ;-)

I've not tried searching for patents yet. I did some searches on the
online OSHA database which goes back to 1972 but it's really geared to
knowing the name of the company and there's no guarantee  the the
company has the words 'mallet', 'hammer', 'paper' in the name. 'hammer'
and 'mallet' turn up only a single page each for 1972 to 1976 and it was
fairly easy to cross off the various companies mentioned but 'paper'
turns up almost a 1000 records so I've not looked at that much more.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si24df$i6k$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5099&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5099

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:15:27 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:15 UTC

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:18:09 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I've not tried searching for patents yet. I did some searches on the
>online OSHA database which goes back to 1972 but it's really geared to
>knowing the name of the company and there's no guarantee  the the
>company has the words 'mallet', 'hammer', 'paper' in the name. 'hammer'
>and 'mallet' turn up only a single page each for 1972 to 1976 and it was
>fairly easy to cross off the various companies mentioned but 'paper'
>turns up almost a 1000 records so I've not looked at that much more.

I've searched through a couple old paper catalogs I have and several
more digital versions. Problem with the digital versions is they are
likely too old. The more modern catalogs are too new or hard to come by
due to copyrights still in place. An old McMaster catalog from say
the 1980's might be a good place to look. They still have a nice
selection of Mallets but none with paper heads.

The patent search I linked to worked well but good hits rapidly peter
out. Suspect there wasn't much new innovation to form a patent in the
1900's...

I'm not entirely clear whether your primary interest is in the
history, story of this particular company or procuring Paper Mallets.
Maybe a bit of both ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si2a9t$cn9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5100&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5100

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:55:56 +0100
 by: David Billington - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:55 UTC

On 17/09/2021 14:15, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:18:09 +0100
> David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I've not tried searching for patents yet. I did some searches on the
>> online OSHA database which goes back to 1972 but it's really geared to
>> knowing the name of the company and there's no guarantee  the the
>> company has the words 'mallet', 'hammer', 'paper' in the name. 'hammer'
>> and 'mallet' turn up only a single page each for 1972 to 1976 and it was
>> fairly easy to cross off the various companies mentioned but 'paper'
>> turns up almost a 1000 records so I've not looked at that much more.
> I've searched through a couple old paper catalogs I have and several
> more digital versions. Problem with the digital versions is they are
> likely too old. The more modern catalogs are too new or hard to come by
> due to copyrights still in place. An old McMaster catalog from say
> the 1980's might be a good place to look. They still have a nice
> selection of Mallets but none with paper heads.
>
> The patent search I linked to worked well but good hits rapidly peter
> out. Suspect there wasn't much new innovation to form a patent in the
> 1900's...
>
> I'm not entirely clear whether your primary interest is in the
> history, story of this particular company or procuring Paper Mallets.
> Maybe a bit of both ;-)

A bit of both really. I've bought a mallet from the AccidentalHammer
couple but have also designed and built my own machine for rolling them
as I like a challenge and only have to finish a few machining operations
before I can try and put theory into practice. The mallets seem to be
quite durable seeing as how well the ones in high school lasted so it
wouldn't take me long to make enough for my lifetime so if it all works
as intended I expect I'll make some for others, we shall see. As
information about them seems to be scarce and while the last company
making them in the US is still a relatively recent memory I thought I
would try and gather more information while still potentially available.
Finding the company information should find when they started so would
help flesh out some of the history. I hadn't thought of old catalogues,
do you have a link for a source.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si2jqm$ebd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5101&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5101

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:38:30 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:38 UTC

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:55:56 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

<snip>
>Finding the company information should find when they started so would
>help flesh out some of the history. I hadn't thought of old catalogues,
>do you have a link for a source.

I used to oft search at Archive.com for them. You can actually search
inside most of them at the site without downloading nowadays. With a
fast internet connection (not here) it should work a treat. Link to

https://archive.org/advancedsearch.php

Here is an example of a much more ambitious search string:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3Acatalogue+AND+-title%3Acourse+AND+mediatype%3Atexts+AND+-scanner%3Agoogle+AND+-subject%3Acollege+AND+-subject%3Aart+AND+-title%3Auniversity+AND+date%3A%5B1800-01-01+TO+1941-01-01%5D&sort=-publicdate&page=2

Still gets a lot of unwanted stuff but should give you some ideas for
weeding less desired stuff out. Also note here in the US "Catalog" is
more commonly used...

I've quite a few saved locally, Hardware, Machinery... usually have to
check the index and then jump to a page (index page and doc pages
are not the same) to see what they offered.

Of course if you happen to know the name of a particular company that
works too ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si2li0$m89$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5102&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5102

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:07:59 +0100
 by: David Billington - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:07 UTC

On 17/09/2021 18:38, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:55:56 +0100
> David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Finding the company information should find when they started so would
>> help flesh out some of the history. I hadn't thought of old catalogues,
>> do you have a link for a source.
> I used to oft search at Archive.com for them. You can actually search
> inside most of them at the site without downloading nowadays. With a
> fast internet connection (not here) it should work a treat. Link to
>
> https://archive.org/advancedsearch.php
>
> Here is an example of a much more ambitious search string:
>
> https://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3Acatalogue+AND+-title%3Acourse+AND+mediatype%3Atexts+AND+-scanner%3Agoogle+AND+-subject%3Acollege+AND+-subject%3Aart+AND+-title%3Auniversity+AND+date%3A%5B1800-01-01+TO+1941-01-01%5D&sort=-publicdate&page=2
>
> Still gets a lot of unwanted stuff but should give you some ideas for
> weeding less desired stuff out. Also note here in the US "Catalog" is
> more commonly used...
>
> I've quite a few saved locally, Hardware, Machinery... usually have to
> check the index and then jump to a page (index page and doc pages
> are not the same) to see what they offered.
>
> Of course if you happen to know the name of a particular company that
> works too ;-)

Thanks for that I'll have a look at Archive.com . Regarding spelling I
grew up in the US for 12 years but moved back to the UK so had to learn
to spell again. One of my local metal suppliers once said they could get
me aluminum but it was far more expensive than the more readily
available aluminium.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si2m33$uhv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5103&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5103

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:17:06 +0100
 by: David Billington - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:17 UTC

On 16/09/2021 03:42, Clifford Heath wrote:
> On 16/9/21 10:18 am, David Billington wrote:
>> On 15/09/2021 23:03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>>> "David Billington"  wrote in message news:shto53$cgp$1@dont-email.me...
>>>
>>> I've used paper mallets and they're the best tool for the job on a soft
>>> metal like pewter (Britannia metal), lead would likely be too damaging
>>> to the surface. The mallets I used had already been in use for some
>>> years and were broken in, apparently when new the paper mallets do need
>>> to be used for a bit to break in the faces of the mallet.
>>>
>>> ---------------
>>>
>>> Do you know if there's a significant difference between a paper and
>>> an end grain wooden hammer (beetle), which is easy to make?
>>> https://blog.lostartpress.com/2013/06/10/the-mallet-and-beetle/
>>>
>>> I get good results on thin sheet steel with a hammer with one
>>> plastic and one brass face. Usually the plastic face is enough to
>>> flatten the burr and curl on a shear cut and straighten corrugated
>>> roofing that a fallen branch crumpled, using 1-1/2" or 2" pipe on
>>> sawhorses for the anvil. The brass head is needed only to flatten
>>> tight creases in severe damage. A rubber mallet didn't have enough
>>> authority to shape the roofing to the pipe well enough. The
>>> galvanizing remains intact, areas I fixed many years ago still
>>> haven't rusted.
>>>
>> I would say yes there is a significant difference, I have a couple of
>> wooden mallets and find they're prone to denting/bruising whatever
>> you want to call it whereas the paper mallets were quite resilient in
>> comparison. The last time I spoke to my old tutor they still had the
>> odd precious paper mallet but reserved for special work, having
>> largely been forced to use nylon or other plastic mallets but they
>> needed to be kept free of dings or other marks which could easily
>> transfer to the soft work piece.
>>

> Interesting discussion. I inherited a small peening hammer with a head
> made from the black tip of the horn from some antelope or other. I'm
> curious of anyone might recognise this type of hammer?
>
> Clifford Heath

I just noted that a horn mallet is mentioned in my copy of Oppi Untracht
'Metal techniques for Craftsman' but that seemed to be the extent of it,
no mention of where a horn mallet would be used in preference to another
type. It was an illustration of various types of mallets and one was
horn, no mentioned of paper mallets even though they would have been
around when the book was first published in 1968. Most of the mallets
bore the name Dixon, which I believe would be William Dixon Co. of NJ
now part of Grobet USA.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si2ms0$5s5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5105&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5105

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:30:24 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:30 UTC

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:07:59 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

>Thanks for that I'll have a look at Archive.com . Regarding spelling I
>grew up in the US for 12 years but moved back to the UK so had to learn
>to spell again. One of my local metal suppliers once said they could get
>me aluminum but it was far more expensive than the more readily
>available aluminium.

The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to
better understand these little language quirts :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<si2ssm$onl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5106&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5106

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 16:12:51 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:12 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:si2ms0$5s5$1@dont-email.me...

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:07:59 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

>Thanks for that I'll have a look at Archive.com . Regarding spelling I
>grew up in the US for 12 years but moved back to the UK so had to learn
>to spell again. One of my local metal suppliers once said they could get
>me aluminum but it was far more expensive than the more readily
>available aluminium.

The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to
better understand these little language quirts :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

-------------------------
https://preply.com/en/blog/british-english-vs-american-english-slang-compared/#scroll-to-heading-0

Some of us learn British language and culture from the PBS network. I
recently discovered Lucy Worsley.

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<siam7t$md1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5126&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5126

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:08:44 +0100
 by: David Billington - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:08 UTC

On 17/09/2021 19:30, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 19:07:59 +0100
> David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that I'll have a look at Archive.com . Regarding spelling I
>> grew up in the US for 12 years but moved back to the UK so had to learn
>> to spell again. One of my local metal suppliers once said they could get
>> me aluminum but it was far more expensive than the more readily
>> available aluminium.
> The Internet, UK Mystery writers and UK Magazines I read help a lot to
> better understand these little language quirts :)

Searching archive.org has turned up a few references to paper mallets
but not to who made them. The Smithsonian site looks like it might be
useful when/if they get the contents available online as they seem to
have many catalogues but only a synopsis of the content
https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/SILNMAHTL_41097 .

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<sias9p$7cd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5127&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5127

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:52:08 -0400
<si2ms0$5s5$1@dont-email.me>
<siam7t$md1$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:52 UTC

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:08:44 +0100
David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:

>Searching archive.org has turned up a few references to paper mallets
>but not to who made them. The Smithsonian site looks like it might be
>useful when/if they get the contents available online as they seem to
>have many catalogues but only a synopsis of the content
>https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/SILNMAHTL_41097 .

Not surprised. Some catalogs are really good about telling you who made
the item but a lot of them are not...

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Smithsonian... always funding woes
there.

Sometimes you can find bits and pieces at:

https://books.google.com/

Here (if the link works) is an example of a good hit but not exactly
what you're looking for:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Form_Emphasis_for_Metalsmiths/QpQgPb-_VDsC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22paper+mallet%22&pg=PA22&printsec=frontcover

I'll keep this matter in mind. I poke around looking for odds & ends
pretty often. If I come across anything of interest I'll pass it on :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Paper mallet mfg

<siatih$64n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=5128&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#5128

From: djb...@invalid.com (David Billington)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 22:13:52 +0100
 by: David Billington - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 21:13 UTC

On 20/09/2021 21:52, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:08:44 +0100
> David Billington <djb@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Searching archive.org has turned up a few references to paper mallets
>> but not to who made them. The Smithsonian site looks like it might be
>> useful when/if they get the contents available online as they seem to
>> have many catalogues but only a synopsis of the content
>> https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/SILNMAHTL_41097 .
> Not surprised. Some catalogs are really good about telling you who made
> the item but a lot of them are not...
>
> I wouldn't hold your breath on the Smithsonian... always funding woes
> there.
>
> Sometimes you can find bits and pieces at:
>
> https://books.google.com/
>
> Here (if the link works) is an example of a good hit but not exactly
> what you're looking for:
>
> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Form_Emphasis_for_Metalsmiths/QpQgPb-_VDsC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22paper+mallet%22&pg=PA22&printsec=frontcover
>
> I'll keep this matter in mind. I poke around looking for odds & ends
> pretty often. If I come across anything of interest I'll pass it on :)

I'll have a poke around on the google site, thanks. The link you posted
works fine and is an example of the only things I have found so far, the
suggestion in a few books to use a paper mallet. I haven't found
anything yet regarding someone selling or making them.