echo "Your stdio isn't very std." -- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

SubjectAuthor
* Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%micky
+- Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%AJL
+- Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%Jörg Lorenz
+* Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%Arno Welzel
|`- Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%micky
`* Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%Carlos E.R.
 +- Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%micky
 `* Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%Arno Welzel
  `* Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%Carlos E.R.
   `- Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%Anssi Saari

1
Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<1r7vuitd1k04iopokutbc91o9ksmpf3o1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50555&group=comp.mobile.android#50555

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:23:01 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:23 UTC

If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<usobif$3u5eu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50556&group=comp.mobile.android#50556

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:36:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 01:36 UTC

On 3/11/24 5:23 PM, micky wrote:
>If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
>other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
>speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
>it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
>damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
>For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
>the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
>go to 100% and sit there,

Guilty as charged (get it? :). I'm an overnight wireless charger that has a
100% battery every morning. Been doing it for 4+ years now. I do it to
start the day with a full 100% phone so it won't run out early on a busy
day. So far after 4+ years there's no NOTICIBLE battery problems for my
use. YMMV of course...

>still charging even after it's reached 100%.

My wireless charger quits charging when the phone reaches full charge. You
can tell when the charging light goes out...

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<usoibd$2sfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50558&group=comp.mobile.android#50558

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:31:56 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:31 UTC

On 12.03.24 01:23, micky wrote:
> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.

It depends on the battery technology. Charge your boom-box until full.
The charging electronics of branded products stop charging at 100% which
is below the technically possible 100%.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<l5bmgtFatupU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50579&group=comp.mobile.android#50579

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:51:12 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:51 UTC

micky, 2024-03-12 01:23:

> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about

Which is somewhat silly... if this is the "proper" way, why is there the
possibility to use more than 80% at all?

> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?

No.

The batteries have a charge controller which will make sure, that the
battery will not get overcharged.

However, you should not keep a battery charget at 100% all the time -
this is what will degrade batteries as well. But charging the up to 100%
when you intend to *use* the device after that, it should not be a
problem at all, since the charge will be depleted below 90 or 80% very soon.

As a rule of thumb: if you want to store a device with rechargable
lithium batteries without using it, you should charge it less than
70-80%. But if you want to *use* a device, you may of course charge it
up to 100% since the batteries will get discharged to "safe" levels
within a few hours (or even sooner) anyway.

> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.

No. It will just stay around 100%.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<soc1vi5kpb941iub7486pm5f84iv4m49is@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50583&group=comp.mobile.android#50583

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:56:41 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:56 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:51:12 +0100, Arno Welzel
<usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky, 2024-03-12 01:23:
>
>> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
>
>Which is somewhat silly... if this is the "proper" way, why is there the
>possibility to use more than 80% at all?
>
>> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
>> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
>> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
>> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
>
>No.
>
>The batteries have a charge controller which will make sure, that the
>battery will not get overcharged.
>
>However, you should not keep a battery charget at 100% all the time -
>this is what will degrade batteries as well. But charging the up to 100%
>when you intend to *use* the device after that, it should not be a
>problem at all, since the charge will be depleted below 90 or 80% very soon.
>
>As a rule of thumb: if you want to store a device with rechargable
>lithium batteries without using it, you should charge it less than
>70-80%. But if you want to *use* a device, you may of course charge it
>up to 100% since the batteries will get discharged to "safe" levels
>within a few hours (or even sooner) anyway.

Post above describes a very important distinction, that I had missed.
Thanks.

>> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
>> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
>> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.
>
>No. It will just stay around 100%.

Well that's what I meant, colloquially Even if it's fully charged, at
least if poeple don't know it's fully charged,\ as long as it's on the
charger people will say "It's charging".

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<6nt6ckxgab.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50587&group=comp.mobile.android#50587

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:23:18 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:23 UTC

On 2024-03-12 01:23, micky wrote:
> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?

On most devices, you have no control.

> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.

Most devices will limit the charge, probably stopping it.

My Motorola G52 detects that it is an overnight charge, and calculates
an strategy to have it fully charged by the time the alarm goes off.
Initially, it charges up to 80% and holds there, then charges the
remaining 20% just in time. And it knows the capacity of the USB charger
you are using. It knows I am using an 1U, thus it will charge slowly always.

If I try to charge it at a different time of day, it will charge as fast
as it can to 100%.

So, it will depend on what the makers of your phone decided for you.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<s5k1vip95qlibnnj21ov7jes576qt5emn8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50590&group=comp.mobile.android#50590

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 18:02:04 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:02 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 12 Mar 2024 22:23:18 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2024-03-12 01:23, micky wrote:
>> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
>> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
>> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
>> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
>> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
>
>On most devices, you have no control.
>
>> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
>> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
>> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.
>
>Most devices will limit the charge, probably stopping it.
>
>My Motorola G52 detects that it is an overnight charge, and calculates
>an strategy to have it fully charged by the time the alarm goes off.
>Initially, it charges up to 80% and holds there, then charges the
>remaining 20% just in time. And it knows the capacity of the USB charger
>you are using. It knows I am using an 1U, thus it will charge slowly always.
>
>If I try to charge it at a different time of day, it will charge as fast
>as it can to 100%.

Wow! Does it make dinner too?

>So, it will depend on what the makers of your phone decided for you.

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<l5g7cuF1qclU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50665&group=comp.mobile.android#50665

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:03:43 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:03 UTC

Carlos E.R., 2024-03-12 22:23:

> On 2024-03-12 01:23, micky wrote:
>> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
>> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
>> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
>> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
>> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
>
> On most devices, you have no control.
>
>> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
>> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
>> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.
>
> Most devices will limit the charge, probably stopping it.
>
> My Motorola G52 detects that it is an overnight charge, and calculates
> an strategy to have it fully charged by the time the alarm goes off.

I believe most newer Android devices have similar strategies implemented
and reduce the charging current to a lower level for overnight charging
but use the maximum power during daytime. I experience a similar
behaviour with my Google Pixel 6a - in daytime it charges faster than
during the night.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<bl2cckx9mp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50693&group=comp.mobile.android#50693

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:18:19 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:18 UTC

On 2024-03-14 13:03, Arno Welzel wrote:
> Carlos E.R., 2024-03-12 22:23:
>
>> On 2024-03-12 01:23, micky wrote:
>>> If it's considered proper to charge a cellphone only to 80%, what about
>>> other devices that use batteries. Today I got a rechargeable bluetooth
>>> speaker to use with my cellpphone, and the instructions say to charge
>>> it, until the red light turns blue. Isn't that 100%, not 80%. Am i
>>> damaging the speaker battery by charging it until the liught turns blue?
>>
>> On most devices, you have no control.
>>
>>> For that matter, what about people who leave their phone plugged into
>>> the charger or sitting on the wireless charger all night? Doesn't it
>>> go to 100% and sit there, still charging even after it's reached 100%.
>>
>> Most devices will limit the charge, probably stopping it.
>>
>> My Motorola G52 detects that it is an overnight charge, and calculates
>> an strategy to have it fully charged by the time the alarm goes off.
>
> I believe most newer Android devices have similar strategies implemented
> and reduce the charging current to a lower level for overnight charging
> but use the maximum power during daytime. I experience a similar
> behaviour with my Google Pixel 6a - in daytime it charges faster than
> during the night.

Which means that there could be an app to limit the charge to 80%. The
hardware to do this is already in place.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Keeping batteries charged no more than 80%

<sm0bk7ba0yj.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50817&group=comp.mobile.android#50817

From: anssi.sa...@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 19:45:08 +0200
sha1:nVzj6rF2t1RoLOsDPg1QG7ZhpPQ=
 by: Anssi Saari - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:45 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:

> Which means that there could be an app to limit the charge to 80%. The
> hardware to do this is already in place.

Samsung builds that in and calls it "protect battery". Their limit is
85% instead of 80% though.