No wonder Clairol makes so much money selling shampoo. Lather, Rinse, Repeat is an infinite loop!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

SubjectAuthor
* Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Chris Green
+* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Andy Burns
|+- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Andrew
|`* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Chris Green
| `* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Andy Burns
|  +* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Arno Welzel
|  |`* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Arno Welzel
|  | `- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Andrew
|  `- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Andrew
+* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Jörg Lorenz
|`- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Chris Green
+- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Ed Cryer
+- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Stan Brown
`* Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Arno Welzel
 `- Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)Andrew

1
Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<cv5bck-e4ol.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50666&group=comp.mobile.android#50666

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:08:44 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:08 UTC

Most of the time my phone's brightness is turned down quite low. This
is a big problem if I happen to want to use it somewhere it's
particulalrly bright,. For example just now in the car I had arrived
to catch a ferry at Dover and wanted to send a text home to say that
all was well.

I couldn't see anything when I turned the phone on and I had to crouch
down with the phone under the fascia where I could see to navigate my
way to Settings to turn the brightness up.

Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<l5g8j6F21siU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50667&group=comp.mobile.android#50667

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:24:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:24 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?

Drag down the notification shade from the top edge, and (depending on
manufacturer variations) you should see a brightness slider ...

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<usurgh$1jq90$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50668&group=comp.mobile.android#50668

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:45:05 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:45 UTC

Am 14.03.24 um 13:08 schrieb Chris Green:
> Most of the time my phone's brightness is turned down quite low. This
> is a big problem if I happen to want to use it somewhere it's
> particulalrly bright,. For example just now in the car I had arrived
> to catch a ferry at Dover and wanted to send a text home to say that
> all was well.
>
> I couldn't see anything when I turned the phone on and I had to crouch
> down with the phone under the fascia where I could see to navigate my
> way to Settings to turn the brightness up.
>
> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?

Deactivate
Settings - Display - Automatic Brightness (Pixel 7 Android 14)

Then slide a finger down from the upper edge twice until you have opened
the control center and there fix the brightness to your needs.

HTH, Jörg

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<usut7u$1k6vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50669&group=comp.mobile.android#50669

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:14:05 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:14 UTC

Chris Green wrote:
> Most of the time my phone's brightness is turned down quite low. This
> is a big problem if I happen to want to use it somewhere it's
> particulalrly bright,. For example just now in the car I had arrived
> to catch a ferry at Dover and wanted to send a text home to say that
> all was well.
>
> I couldn't see anything when I turned the phone on and I had to crouch
> down with the phone under the fascia where I could see to navigate my
> way to Settings to turn the brightness up.
>
> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?

A friend of mine works in a Tesco Mobile shop. He says that hordes of
people come in with a phone whose screen has suddenly gone blank.
He takes 30 secs to repair them; he just slides down the notification
pane and tries down the left edge, swiping right, until the display
comes back.

Ed

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<MPG.405ceed8a71ca1b29902c2@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50685&group=comp.mobile.android#50685

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:24:45 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 19:24 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:08:44 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> Most of the time my phone's brightness is turned down quite low. This
> is a big problem if I happen to want to use it somewhere it's
> particulalrly bright,. For example just now in the car I had arrived
> to catch a ferry at Dover and wanted to send a text home to say that
> all was well.
>
> I couldn't see anything when I turned the phone on and I had to crouch
> down with the phone under the fascia where I could see to navigate my
> way to Settings to turn the brightness up.
>
> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?

Does your phone have an Adaptive Brightness setting? On mine, I hold
the phone facing the sun for a couple of seconds, then turn it toward
me and can read it easily.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<ut0068$n3d$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50711&group=comp.mobile.android#50711

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:11:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:R8h+vyd/LL44n5UAGE2zUcUsBEY= sha256:niM/HuNpJaAcdVZeQ0J4WgxAB60VR/RmKgJF+r2gMmc=
 by: Andrew - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:11 UTC

Andy Burns wrote on Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:24:05 +0000 :

>> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?
>
> Drag down the notification shade from the top edge, and (depending on
> manufacturer variations) you should see a brightness slider ...

Your suggestion is best, which I tried on my Samsung for the OP.
Slide down from the top & it's a slider across the bottom of the screen.

I was gonna suggest a one-tap shortcut to the brightness settings
Samsung: Settings > Display > Brightness
But it's a private activity, not a public activity on my phone.

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<uo8dck-s7qp.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50736&group=comp.mobile.android#50736

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:08:46 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:08 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 14.03.24 um 13:08 schrieb Chris Green:
> > Most of the time my phone's brightness is turned down quite low. This
> > is a big problem if I happen to want to use it somewhere it's
> > particulalrly bright,. For example just now in the car I had arrived
> > to catch a ferry at Dover and wanted to send a text home to say that
> > all was well.
> >
> > I couldn't see anything when I turned the phone on and I had to crouch
> > down with the phone under the fascia where I could see to navigate my
> > way to Settings to turn the brightness up.
> >
> > Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?
>
> Deactivate
> Settings - Display - Automatic Brightness (Pixel 7 Android 14)
>
> Then slide a finger down from the upper edge twice until you have opened
> the control center and there fix the brightness to your needs.

Ah! It's **two** slide-downs, thank you, that's what I needed!

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<lk8dck-s7qp.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50737&group=comp.mobile.android#50737

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:06:29 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:06 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?
>
> Drag down the notification shade from the top edge, and (depending on
> manufacturer variations) you should see a brightness slider ...

Not on my very standard Android 11 there isn't, I just get a collction
of icons for turning things on and off (WiFi, Bluetooth, Torch, etc.)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<l5ic06Fbjk9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50740&group=comp.mobile.android#50740

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:34:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:34 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?
>>
>> Drag down the notification shade from the top edge, and (depending on
>> manufacturer variations) you should see a brightness slider ...
>
> Not on my very standard Android 11 there isn't

What make/model? It's been stock on my Pixels for years, on a Huawei v9
tablet, and was on a Samsung I inherited ...

> I just get a collction
> of icons for turning things on and off (WiFi, Bluetooth, Torch, etc.)

Similar icons here (google call them tiles) does your shade pull down a
second level for more? Can you customise them? (maybe a pencil icon)

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<l611ddFivi1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50862&group=comp.mobile.android#50862

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:05:49 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:05 UTC

Chris Green, 2024-03-14 13:08:

[...]> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?

No.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<l611guFivi1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50863&group=comp.mobile.android#50863

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:07:43 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:07 UTC

Andy Burns, 2024-03-15 08:34:

> Chris Green wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> Drag down the notification shade from the top edge, and (depending on
>>> manufacturer variations) you should see a brightness slider ...
>>
>> Not on my very standard Android 11 there isn't
>
> What make/model? It's been stock on my Pixels for years, on a Huawei v9
> tablet, and was on a Samsung I inherited ...

My Pixel 6a does not have that. You have to pull down the notification
shade once - then you see the quick setting icons. Then pull it once
more down to see more quick setting icons and the brightness slider. I
believe this at how it's done at least since Android 12.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<l611ivFivi1U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50864&group=comp.mobile.android#50864

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:08:48 +0100
 by: Arno Welzel - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:08 UTC

Arno Welzel, 2024-03-20 22:07:

> Andy Burns, 2024-03-15 08:34:
>
>> Chris Green wrote:

>>> Not on my very standard Android 11 there isn't
>>
>> What make/model? It's been stock on my Pixels for years, on a Huawei v9
>> tablet, and was on a Samsung I inherited ...
>
> My Pixel 6a does not have that. You have to pull down the notification
> shade once - then you see the quick setting icons. Then pull it once
> more down to see more quick setting icons and the brightness slider. I
> believe this at how it's done at least since Android 12.

One exception: when the device is locked, a single slide from top will
open the notification drawer fully expanded in with the brightness
slider visible.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<utrdbg$29qv$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50884&group=comp.mobile.android#50884

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CuNR5GBaVyMUmSsTiMvcqM4ASCY= sha256:JUSq4/jzBXYYT2XslkebL0Wza1L+Klh1YaXrbKq+D+Q=
 by: Andrew - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:41 UTC

Arno Welzel wrote on Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:05:49 +0100 :

> [...]> Is there any standard short-cut way to increase brightness?
>
> No.

There appear to be these free no ad apps which might work for the OP.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arogulin.brightness
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hasmetd.easyslider
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.top10labs.AutoBright
etc.

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<utrdbh$29qv$2@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50885&group=comp.mobile.android#50885

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:41:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YUEv7UdmCkXnVanXiCs9r1IMZGE= sha256:44NRrHWGBCGKyBES4eC9g3iCDCUDwoMkLYtKDBcwxrM=

Andy Burns wrote on Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:34:31 +0000 :

>> I just get a collction
>> of icons for turning things on and off (WiFi, Bluetooth, Torch, etc.)
>
> Similar icons here (google call them tiles) does your shade pull down a
> second level for more? Can you customise them? (maybe a pencil icon)

Do you think this ad free non-root customizing tool can help the OP?

1. Install netvor settings database editor
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netvor.settings.database.editor
2. Install netvor settings database provider/
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.netvor.settings.database.provider/
3. Enable WRITE_SECURE permission
adb shell pm grant com.netvor.settings.database.provider android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
4. Toggle adaptive brightness value
adaptive brightness toggled = 1

Re: Quick/simple access to setting brightness? (Android 11)

<utrdbi$29qv$3@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50886&group=comp.mobile.android#50886

From: and...@spam.net (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:41:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qisqv5ALsm4TBHeR52gNrdCK0kM= sha256:Fv1rj+qYY62TK9n+N6uFeutiiM192P40Kv08nGswTSA=

Arno Welzel wrote on Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:08:48 +0100 :

>>> What make/model? It's been stock on my Pixels for years, on a Huawei v9
>>> tablet, and was on a Samsung I inherited ...
>>
>> My Pixel 6a does not have that. You have to pull down the notification
>> shade once - then you see the quick setting icons. Then pull it once
>> more down to see more quick setting icons and the brightness slider. I
>> believe this at how it's done at least since Android 12.
>
> One exception: when the device is locked, a single slide from top will
> open the notification drawer fully expanded in with the brightness
> slider visible.

These free no ad apps have easy access to "Brightness" & "Display"
where some of them specifically change how it all works when locked.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.velis.auto.brightness
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apps.settings