Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

computers / comp.mobile.android / how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

SubjectAuthor
* how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.micky
+* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.knuttle
|`* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.AJL
| `- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
+* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
|`* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.micky
| `* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
|  `* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.knuttle
|   `* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
|    +- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
|    `* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.knuttle
|     `- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.micky
+- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
+- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Frank Slootweg
+- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.micky
+* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.micky
|`- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Joerg Lorenz
+- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Carlos E.R.
`* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Arno Welzel
 `* Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.micky
  +- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Jörg Lorenz
  `- Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.Frank Slootweg

1
how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<d5761jt0nhffm6mipldajhllugissg92nd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50938&group=comp.mobile.android#50938

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 18:25:40 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 22:25 UTC

My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.

If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?

Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
DND?

Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?

Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?

**Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.

Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uuvi4h$33u1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50939&group=comp.mobile.android#50939

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:43:44 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 01:43 UTC

On 04/07/2024 6:25 PM, micky wrote:

> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>
> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
> DND?
>
> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?
>
> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?
>
> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>
> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.
That is one of the reasons that I don't like smart phones. With the old
telephone, when you called a home a person would pick it up; unless the
person lived alone. With a cellphone everyone lives alone in their own
isolated little world.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uuvng4$38rif$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50940&group=comp.mobile.android#50940

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:15:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AJL - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 03:15 UTC

On 4/7/24 6:43 PM, knuttle wrote:
>On 04/07/2024 6:25 PM, micky wrote:
>>
>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.

IF he wants his DND on and knows how to set it perhaps he turned it back on.
On my phone I also leave my DND on all the time but it allows exceptions to
be set. So I set it to allow only family members through. Next time you see
him, try setting it that way.

>> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
>> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>>
>> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
>> DND?
>>
>> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
>> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?
>>
>> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?
>>
>> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
>> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
>> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.

>That is one of the reasons that I don't like smart phones. With the old
>telephone, when you called a home a person would pick it up; unless the
>person lived alone.

That is one of the reasons I love a smartphone. With the old phone the damn
thing rang all the time interrupting whatever I was doing. No DND
function...

>With a cellphone everyone lives alone in their own
>isolated little world.

Nah. With my cell phone quiet most of the time (except for family calls) I
can enjoy life and return the necessary calls at MY convenience...

Bottom line as always, YMMV.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv033j$3ant6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50941&group=comp.mobile.android#50941

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:33:23 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 06:33 UTC

On 08.04.2024 00:25, micky wrote:

> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.

*Groundhog Day*!

You interfere with your brother's privacy in an absolutely unacceptable way.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv0398$3ant6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50942&group=comp.mobile.android#50942

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:36:24 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 06:36 UTC

On 08.04.2024 00:25, micky wrote:

> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>
> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
> DND?
>
> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?

That is by far the best method: It can be automated for time intervals.

> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?

Sure. Learn how to use DND. Google or DuckDuckGo are your friends.

My guess is: Your are getting on your brother's nerves.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv03dc$3ant6$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50943&group=comp.mobile.android#50943

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:38:36 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 06:38 UTC

On 08.04.2024 05:15, AJL wrote:
> On 4/7/24 6:43 PM, knuttle wrote:
>> On 04/07/2024 6:25 PM, micky wrote:
>>>
>>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
> IF he wants his DND on and knows how to set it perhaps he turned it back on.
> On my phone I also leave my DND on all the time but it allows exceptions to
> be set. So I set it to allow only family members through. Next time you see
> him, try setting it that way.

That is none of his business.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<ll471jp3392q7br9oeuhk2fp992h6m524g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50945&group=comp.mobile.android#50945

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 02:46:29 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 06:46 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:33:23 +0200, Jörg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>On 08.04.2024 00:25, micky wrote:
>>
>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
>*Groundhog Day*!
>
>You interfere with your brother's privacy in an absolutely unacceptable way.

I don't think you understand brotherhood.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv049p$3ant6$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50946&group=comp.mobile.android#50946

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:53:45 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 06:53 UTC

On 08.04.2024 08:46, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:33:23 +0200, Jörg Lorenz
> <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 08.04.2024 00:25, micky wrote:
>>>
>>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>>
>> *Groundhog Day*!
>>
>> You interfere with your brother's privacy in an absolutely unacceptable way.
>
> I don't think you understand brotherhood.

I think better than you. Brotherhood does not give you any additional
rights without consent by your brother. If he does what he does it is
none of your business.

The keyword is: *RERSPECT*

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv0jhh$3etjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50947&group=comp.mobile.android#50947

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:13:53 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 11:13 UTC

On 04/08/2024 2:53 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 08.04.2024 08:46, micky wrote:
>> In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:33:23 +0200, Jörg Lorenz
>> <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> *Groundhog Day*!
>>>
>>> You interfere with your brother's privacy in an absolutely unacceptable way.
>>
>> I don't think you understand brotherhood.
>
> I think better than you. Brotherhood does not give you any additional
> rights without consent by your brother. If he does what he does it is
> none of your business.
>
> The keyword is: *RERSPECT*

The original poster did not mention why he wants to be able to call his
brother. If the brother has some physical condition that he needs to
be checked on, the telephone may be the only way to do it.
Several years before my mother died my brothers and I called her
frequently. If she did not answer after a couple of tries, one of the
family would go out to check on her. Since she insisted on living in
her apartment it was our only option.
Fortunately, during her last sickness the telephone system allowed us to
get her to the hospital. By contrast, my wife's brother died several
weeks before his body was found.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv0t0t$3hc4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50948&group=comp.mobile.android#50948

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:55:41 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:55 UTC

On 08.04.2024 13:13, knuttle wrote:
> On 04/08/2024 2:53 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> On 08.04.2024 08:46, micky wrote:

>>> I don't think you understand brotherhood.
>>
>> I think better than you. Brotherhood does not give you any additional
>> rights without consent by your brother. If he does what he does it is
>> none of your business.
>>
>> The keyword is: *RERSPECT*
>>
> The original poster did not mention why he wants to be able to call his
> brother. If the brother has some physical condition that he needs to
> be checked on, the telephone may be the only way to do it.

In your case the keyword is *CONSENT*.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv0t84$3hc4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50949&group=comp.mobile.android#50949

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:59:32 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 13:59 UTC

On 08.04.2024 15:55, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 08.04.2024 13:13, knuttle wrote:

>>> I think better than you. Brotherhood does not give you any additional
>>> rights without consent by your brother. If he does what he does it is
>>> none of your business.
>>>
>>> The keyword is: *RERSPECT*
>>>
>> The original poster did not mention why he wants to be able to call his
>> brother. If the brother has some physical condition that he needs to
>> be checked on, the telephone may be the only way to do it.
>
> In your case the keyword is *CONSENT*.

What I forgot: micky's mess with reaching his brother when *he* thinks
it is appropriate is a running gag for years in this group.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv15ld.qjc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50950&group=comp.mobile.android#50950

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 8 Apr 2024 14:23:21 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:23 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>
> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
> DND?
>
> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?

There probably is a setting for a sleep schedule, but if that exists
and how/where to set it, depends on the phone (which you don't mention).

My Samsung Galaxy A51 has such a sleep schedule (Settings ->
Notifications -> Do not disturb -> Sleeping).

> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?

AJL described how he uses that on his phone.

> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>
> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.

On my phone the SMS notification stays on the lock screen or home
screen until touched, but it's a tiny icon, so easily overlooked.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv16mh$3k11c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50951&group=comp.mobile.android#50951

From: keith_nu...@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:40:49 -0400
 by: knuttle - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:40 UTC

On 04/08/2024 9:55 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 08.04.2024 13:13, knuttle wrote:

>>> I think better than you. Brotherhood does not give you any additional
>>> rights without consent by your brother. If he does what he does it is
>>> none of your business.
>>>
>>> The keyword is: *RERSPECT*
>>>
>> The original poster did not mention why he wants to be able to call his
>> brother. If the brother has some physical condition that he needs to
>> be checked on, the telephone may be the only way to do it.
>
> In your case the keyword is *CONSENT*.

Depending on thier condition that may be true or not

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<9b981jpe2doqrehiihe1ks1gsc97k9umjf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50952&group=comp.mobile.android#50952

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 13:13:50 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:13 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:40:49 -0400, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 04/08/2024 9:55 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:

>>> The original poster did not mention why he wants to be able to call his
>>> brother. If the brother has some physical condition that he needs to
>>> be checked on, the telephone may be the only way to do it.
>>
>> In your case the keyword is *CONSENT*.
>>

>Depending on thier condition that may be true or not

The funny thing is that Jörg knows nothing about my relationship with my
brother and yet he assumes it's because he doesn't want to be called.
And he's so sure of himself. I'm glad my brother is my brother, and not
Jörg.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<ne981jpia19egqrgiku8i4ase5d2tvhobb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50953&group=comp.mobile.android#50953

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 13:40:31 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:40 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 8 Apr 2024 07:46:53 +0100 (GMT+01:00),
Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> Wrote in message:
>

>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
>Have you discussed it with him?

Yeah.

> Did he know you did that and why?
> Does he want to talk to you as often as you'd like to talk to
> him?

Yes, he does. If anything he likes talking to me even more than the
other way around.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<71b81jpr1qjm2nidf2mfrnksmj7m179iqs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50954&group=comp.mobile.android#50954

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 13:43:08 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 17:43 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 07 Apr 2024 18:25:40 -0400, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
>If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
>almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>
>Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
>DND?

Instead of addressing my personal life, answers to questions about
Android are what the OP solicited, since this is an Android group.

Like the question just above.

>Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
>back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?

And this one.

>Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?

And this one.

>**Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>
>Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
>it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
>there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.

And especially this one.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<3bpdekxvds.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50955&group=comp.mobile.android#50955

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:24:03 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 18:24 UTC

On 2024-04-08 00:25, micky wrote:

> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?

In DND mode, the call may "ring" silently for a few times, then go to
voicemail on no answer.

> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
> DND?
>
> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?

DND can be set automatically for a period of time. It can also be set to
disable when the alarm clock (internal) goes off.

> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?

Certainly. You can put a number of callers in a group (VIP or Family)
that ignores DND. I don't remember now exactly how, I did that long ago.
Ring tones, perhaps.

> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>
> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.

I think there is a way to make notifications show in full even if the
phone is locked.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv1j6p$3mh0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50956&group=comp.mobile.android#50956

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 22:14:17 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 20:14 UTC

On 08.04.24 19:43, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 07 Apr 2024 18:25:40 -0400, micky
> <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>

>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>>
>> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
>> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>>
>> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
>> DND?
>
> Instead of addressing my personal life, answers to questions about
> Android are what the OP solicited, since this is an Android group.
>
> Like the question just above.
>
>> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
>> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping?
>
> And this one.
>>
>> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?
>
> And this one.
>
>> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
>> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
>> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.
>
> And especially this one.

They were answered at the beginning of the thread from more than one
user. Learn to read.

--
"Alea icacta est." (Julius Caesar)

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<l7kdljFebt3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50957&group=comp.mobile.android#50957

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:47:47 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 08:47 UTC

micky, 2024-04-08 00:25:

> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>
> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?

Yes, it is safe to assume this. Because with the phone turned off it
does not make sens to "ring" first.

> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
> DND?

Yes, many ways: turning down the ring volume so far that you barely hear
it, ignoring the phone, putting the phone into a bag or drawer were it
can not be heard etc.

> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping? >
> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?

Depending on the phone your number can be marked as "VIP" number which
overrides DND settings, but this is vendor specific and not generally
possible with all Android devices.

> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>
> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.

No. If your brother fails to notice text messages or pick up the phone
when you call him, there is no technical solution to this. Only having a
second "dumb" device which does not have a DND mode at or a "dumb"
landline phone may help.

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<vgab1jl33hsfdurgdn88l95f4aj4nuaohq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50958&group=comp.mobile.android#50958

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 16:56:15 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:56 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:47:47 +0200, Arno Welzel
<usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky, 2024-04-08 00:25:
>
>> My brother, who has been sick and I'm worried about him, is usually
>> impossible** to reach. It rings 5 or 6 times and goes to voicemail,
>> which is almost always full. I visited two weeks ago and found he had
>> it set on DND. I turned that off, but today it did the same thing.
>>
>> If his phone were off, it would go to voicemail right away, right? or
>> almost right away, no 5 rings, Right?
>
>Yes, it is safe to assume this. Because with the phone turned off it
>does not make sens to "ring" first.
>
>> Is there any other way it could ring 5 times and go to VM other than
>> DND?
>
>Yes, many ways: turning down the ring volume so far that you barely hear
>it,

Oh, yeah, of course.

>ignoring the phone, putting the phone into a bag or drawer were it
>can not be heard etc.

My brother called me yesterday, maybe because I texted him (maybe not)
and said that sometimes he tries to answer and it doesn't work, and
other times the phone is at the far end of the apartment, like you point
out.

>> Maybe he sets it to DND when he's sleeping and forgets to change it
>> back. Is there some other settting he could use instead for sleeping? >
>> Or a way that I could get it to ring aloud for me, even when set on DND?
>
>Depending on the phone your number can be marked as "VIP" number which
>overrides DND settings, but this is vendor specific and not generally
>possible with all Android devices.

I should have spent more time with his phone. Been there twice this
year already and no plans to visit Florida until the whether cools in
the fall.

>> **Except I can text him, but he doesn't usually notice texts either.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the text notification on top until he clicks on
>> it? I seem to find that they display for a second or two and then all
>> there is is the badge on the text icon on the homepage.
>
>No. If your brother fails to notice text messages or pick up the phone
>when you call him, there is no technical solution to this. Only having a
>second "dumb" device which does not have a DND mode at or a "dumb"
>landline phone may help.

I'm surprised he doesn't have a landline anymore, since he's pretty
old-fashioned, but for years when he had both cell and land, he said no
one called him on it and I generally shouldn't either. But he wasn't
so old then and I didn't worry if I couldn't reach him.

Thanks and thanks all - 1.

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv57d8$osd1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50964&group=comp.mobile.android#50964

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:17:28 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 05:17 UTC

Your welcome.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: how to reach someone who makes it h ard to reach him.

<uv68v1.h40.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50968&group=comp.mobile.android#50968

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 10 Apr 2024 12:50:17 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 12:50 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
[...]

> My brother called me yesterday, maybe because I texted him (maybe not)
> and said that sometimes he tries to answer and it doesn't work, and
> other times the phone is at the far end of the apartment, like you point
> out.

Perhaps your brother has problems swiping when the phone 'rings'. Many
people have problems swiping to 'pick up' the phone.

With some/many phones, you can also use one of the physical buttons on
the side of the phone to answer a call. My phone can be set to answer a
call by pressing the volume-up button. It's a setting in the Phone app.
For Samsung: Phone app -> <three vertical dots icon> -> Settings ->
Answering and ending calls -> Press Volume up to answer calls -> On.

N.B. I advise *not* to also use a button to *end* calls, because it's
probably too easy for your brother to press the wrong button when trying
to answer a call.

I realize that it will probably be a while before you visit your
brother again, but perhaps he can set this setting or someone else can
do it for him.

Good luck.

[...]