From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Photos too lit up.
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:14:34 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:14 UTC

I was visiting my brother in Florida and I was on the boardwalk in
Hollywood and it was almost dark and the bold full** moon was rising and
I thought it would be a nice picture, but when I took it with my Xiaomi
Redmi Note 8 pro, it looked like daylight and the moon, instead of being
grey, looked like a dim sun. I waited until it was darker yet and took
more pictures and they all looked like daylight, or at least much
lighter than it was.

This is a good feature when I'm inside and there's not much light and I
take a picture of a room and I can see evrything, but here I'd like to
turn it off. But I have no idea how, or what the feature is called.

It behaves this way I think with both the built in camera and the Zoom
Camera app.

**And I believe when the moon rises at sundown it's always a full moon.

Re: Photos too lit up.

<l7qqnfFdbi1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50980&group=comp.mobile.android#50980

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Photos too lit up.
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:07:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:07 UTC

micky wrote:

> the bold full moon was rising and I thought it would be a nice
> picture, but when I took it with my Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 pro, it
> looked like daylight and the moon, instead of being grey, looked like
> a dim sun.

What was the model of phone that was "caught" substituting a stock
hi-res image of the moon, rather that actually taking an image of it?

Re: Photos too lit up.

<moon-20240411204743@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=50981&group=comp.mobile.android#50981

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 11 Apr 2024 19:48:14 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:48 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote or quoted:
>What was the model of phone that was "caught" substituting a stock
>hi-res image of the moon, rather that actually taking an image of it?

Might be from a manufacturer the name of which starts with "Sam".

Re pictures too bright: Some cameras provide settings to
control the exposure manually. Otherwise, one can always
postprocess the images to make them darker.

Re: Photos too lit up.

<l7t5dlFo6cvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51005&group=comp.mobile.android#51005

From: use...@arnowelzel.de (Arno Welzel)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:22:15 +0200
 by: Arno Welzel - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 16:22 UTC

micky, 2024-04-11 20:14:

> I was visiting my brother in Florida and I was on the boardwalk in
> Hollywood and it was almost dark and the bold full** moon was rising and
> I thought it would be a nice picture, but when I took it with my Xiaomi
> Redmi Note 8 pro, it looked like daylight and the moon, instead of being
> grey, looked like a dim sun. I waited until it was darker yet and took
> more pictures and they all looked like daylight, or at least much
> lighter than it was.

Yes, this is the usual behaviour of many Smartphone camera apps when
they try to "guess" how to improve the image quality and make every
scene bright and clear. You may manually edit the picture with tools
like Paint.NET or darktable to adjust the overall brightness or gamma
curve to make it look more natural.

Otherwise you may try apps like "Open Camera" which allow much more
customization for taking pictures and also provides taking images in RAW
format if supported by the phone, so you can develop the final image
using darktable or similar programs:

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera>

--
Arno Welzel
https://arnowelzel.de

Re: Photos too lit up.

<u8hl1j1sq9fsrtijjsgo4q4unksqghn682@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51015&group=comp.mobile.android#51015

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:49:02 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:49 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 11 Apr 2024 19:48:14 GMT,
ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:

>Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote or quoted:
>>What was the model of phone that was "caught" substituting a stock
>>hi-res image of the moon, rather that actually taking an image of it?
>
> Might be from a manufacturer the name of which starts with "Sam".
>
> Re pictures too bright: Some cameras provide settings to
> control the exposure manually.

I didnt' see that. And since both camera apps do the same thing, and a
previous phone might have done the same thing. I figured it was in the
phone settings somewhere. Oh well, it wasn't going to a museum anyhow.

>Otherwise, one can always
> postprocess the images to make them darker.

Re: Photos too lit up.

<8dhl1jt6q2bhi91pv273qt7r7363pgl0dr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51016&group=comp.mobile.android#51016

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:50:43 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:50 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 12 Apr 2024 18:22:15 +0200, Arno Welzel
<usenet@arnowelzel.de> wrote:

>micky, 2024-04-11 20:14:
>
>> I was visiting my brother in Florida and I was on the boardwalk in
>> Hollywood and it was almost dark and the bold full** moon was rising and
>> I thought it would be a nice picture, but when I took it with my Xiaomi
>> Redmi Note 8 pro, it looked like daylight and the moon, instead of being
>> grey, looked like a dim sun. I waited until it was darker yet and took
>> more pictures and they all looked like daylight, or at least much
>> lighter than it was.
>
>Yes, this is the usual behaviour of many Smartphone camera apps when
>they try to "guess" how to improve the image quality and make every
>scene bright and clear. You may manually edit the picture with tools
>like Paint.NET or darktable to adjust the overall brightness or gamma
>curve to make it look more natural.
>
>Otherwise you may try apps like "Open Camera" which allow much more
>customization for taking pictures and also provides taking images in RAW
>format if supported by the phone, so you can develop the final image
>using darktable or similar programs:
>
><https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera>

Thanks a lot.