From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Disappearing text, and text icon that won't disappear
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:57:06 -0400
 by: micky - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:57 UTC

I got a notification today, 2, one after another, that looked like I'd
gotton a text. It had choices at the bottom, Reply, Mark Read, but I
did nothing and after 3 or 4 seconds each one disappeared.

It started with my niece's first name and said something about her
birthday, which iirc is about now. I don't know who would have sent
this. My niece calls or emails on rare occasions but never texts, and
it was addressed to her, not me.

But when I opened the text app, the only one this phone has, there was
nothing there about her. The last text shown was from Monday and it's
Thrsday now.

What's going on.

2) Also sometimes I get an icon on top of everythuign else, on the left
side one thrid of the way down, that matches the Text icon, an dwhen I
tap it, one particular text string opens up. It fills the screen almost
but not quite and above the window are two icon-sized areas. One has the
text icon and one has a plus sign. I've already seen this text and even
if I hadn't I've seen it now and I want to close this smaller than total
window, but the original icon is still on the side. Have you seen this?

Xiaomi Redmit Note 5 or something like that.

Re: Disappearing text, and text icon that won't disappear

<uve9uv.8i8.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51011&group=comp.mobile.android#51011

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 13 Apr 2024 13:56:25 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:56 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> I got a notification today, 2, one after another, that looked like I'd
> gotton a text. It had choices at the bottom, Reply, Mark Read, but I
> did nothing and after 3 or 4 seconds each one disappeared.
>
> It started with my niece's first name and said something about her
> birthday, which iirc is about now. I don't know who would have sent
> this. My niece calls or emails on rare occasions but never texts, and
> it was addressed to her, not me.
>
> But when I opened the text app, the only one this phone has, there was
> nothing there about her. The last text shown was from Monday and it's
> Thrsday now.
>
> What's going on.

The choices on the SMS notification panel are probably not only 'View'
and 'Mark as read', but also 'Delete'.

It looks like you accidentily touched the 'Delete' part of the
notification.

If so, you may want to have a look if your Messages app has a Trash
folder and if so, see if the 'ghost' SMS messages are in there.

In my Samsung Messages app, it is: <three vertical dots icon> -> Trash.
My Messages app keeps deleted messages for 30 days.

Hope this helps.

[...]

Re: Disappearing text, and text icon that won't disappear

<6ghl1jdgnv1oudant9984t62t8fapljjcr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=51017&group=comp.mobile.android#51017

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:10:01 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:10 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 13 Apr 2024 13:56:25 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> I got a notification today, 2, one after another, that looked like I'd
>> gotton a text. It had choices at the bottom, Reply, Mark Read, but I
>> did nothing and after 3 or 4 seconds each one disappeared.
>>
>> It started with my niece's first name and said something about her
>> birthday, which iirc is about now. I don't know who would have sent
>> this. My niece calls or emails on rare occasions but never texts, and
>> it was addressed to her, not me.
>>
>> But when I opened the text app, the only one this phone has, there was
>> nothing there about her. The last text shown was from Monday and it's
>> Thrsday now.
>>
>> What's going on.
>
> The choices on the SMS notification panel are probably not only 'View'
>and 'Mark as read', but also 'Delete'.

Yes, I'm sure.

> It looks like you accidentily touched the 'Delete' part of the
>notification.

No, I don't think so. I dont' think my hand came near the screen.
Certtainly not both times.

> If so, you may want to have a look if your Messages app has a Trash
>folder and if so, see if the 'ghost' SMS messages are in there.

Aha, it was under Spam and Blocked. I found that page and looked at it
months ago, and it had a bunch of offers for a genetic test or a USPS
package that had allegedly arrived. Nothing that mattered so I forgot
it existed. This time I was looking at the phone when the text came in
and it started off with ny niece's name when there is a current big
issue between her, her father, and maybe me. But that's just a
coincidence, I see.

It says "Hey Emily, it's Karen's brithday tomorrow and she wants you to
come to the party." How can spam like this be successful?? Only a few
people are named Emily and many of them don't know anyone named Karen,
and most don't know anyone with that name who would want them to come to
a party. If this could apply to 1/100 of a percent of people I'd be
surprised. Why not spam that anyone could fall for, like your USPS
pacakage has arrived.

Of course it could be a valid text but sent to the wrong phone numberr,
except it was sent 3 times. In my phone, you have to retype or have
copied it before sending, so it's not easy to send more than once.

Anyhow, it's not missing anymore.

> In my Samsung Messages app, it is: <three vertical dots icon> -> Trash.
>My Messages app keeps deleted messages for 30 days.

Only about 20 of them, not counting duplicates, by my phone has spam
going back to October 2021.

I've never deleted a text so maybe there would be an entry for a list of
those if I had. I don't use my phone much, especially not with those
who text. Only 2 or 3 people have the number, not counting drugstores,
airlines. etc.

> Hope this helps.

Yes, definitely. thanks. >